Menu

I love Mister Rogers

I am so excited that I finally found a Mister Rogers episode a friend told me about years ago, and bought it from Amazon just now so I could watch it on my computer. My kids are all in bed so I'm watching it alone. :tongue_smilie:

It's episode #1536 and it's about food. Mister Rogers shows baby animals and baby humans nursing, and it's just matter of fact, this is how babies eat. The mothers aren't covered up, they're just nursing and cuddling the way they normally do. After the nursing clip, he says "Feeding can be a wonderful expression of love." :001_wub:

He was a class act. One of my favorite stories about him:

Whenever he was asked to castigate non-Christians or gays for their differing beliefs, he would instead face them and say, with sincerity, "God loves you just the way you are."

Here are some other fun facts about him, if you've never heard them before:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/wayoflife/07/28/mf.mrrogers.neighbor/index.html

My Dad knew Mr. Rogers!

Well, he'd seen him around campus. :)

Dad's always been so proud of that and made us watch Mr. Rogers way past the time when we were interested. Looking back now, I think it's cute. At the time, my brother and I just wanted to watch He-Man. :D

Mr. Rogers was so great. My kids just discovered his video clips about how different things are made, and they're completely captivated.

The 'how things are made' segments are my family's favorites, too.

I could have done without those weird puppets, though.

My dc were watching an episode once, years ago. Mr. Rogers was just sitting in his living room and talking to the kids, quietly, no bells and whistles, no graphics, no music, no scene changes every .08 seconds. Dh came into the room and watched a few minutes. Dh, who had never seen Mr. Rogers (he grew up in Pakistan), said, awed, "He's a genius."

:)

I am so excited that I finally found a Mister Rogers episode a friend told me about years ago, and bought it from Amazon just now so I could watch it on my computer. My kids are all in bed so I'm watching it alone. :tongue_smilie:

It's episode #1536 and it's about food. Mister Rogers shows baby animals and baby humans nursing, and it's just matter of fact, this is how babies eat. The mothers aren't covered up, they're just nursing and cuddling the way they normally do. After the nursing clip, he says "Feeding can be a wonderful expression of love." :001_wub:

He was a class act. One of my favorite stories about him:

Here are some other fun facts about him, if you've never heard them before:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/wayoflife/07/28/mf.mrrogers.neighbor/index.html

Thanks for posting the link - I only knew a couple of things about him. I love that his mother knitted all of his cardigans!!

We love him here, too, and my oldest was heartbroken when he died.

One of my favorite episodes (and one of my kids' favorites, since they inherited my weird fears :D) was the one with the various sinks and, of course, a toilet flushing, while he sings, "You can never go down, never go down, never go down the drain..." I loved that one, since, well...:lol:

Dh never realized it, but one of the reasons we dated was because he did his senior Leadership paper on Mr. Rogers and his leadership style.

I loved watching Fred Rogers as a teen and adult. As a child, I was a little weirded out by him. "Mom, how come he talks so slow? Are the puppets real, or pretend? Does his house have a bathroom? Is he coming home from work, or does he work in that house?"

Cool, I can watch it free with Amazon Prime streaming. Looks like it won't work on my iPad, though. Thanks for the rec--I think I'll break my usual rules and play it for the littles the next time I need some peace while I teach one of my big kids. :001_smile:

Every time I read about mr Rogers, I wish I'd known all that about him while he was still alive.

That show is the only one I plan on letting Milo watch from time to time. It's a real person talking about good stuff!

It contains about 6 clips of him singing "It's a beautiful day in this neighborhood", from one of the earliest shows to one of the last ones. :001_smile:

"Mister Rogers Intro over the years" (a quick 1:15 youtube)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vV_we0kSls

Enjoy!

Awesome!

My Dad knew Mr. Rogers!

Well, he'd seen him around campus. :)

Dad's always been so proud of that and made us watch Mr. Rogers way past the time when we were interested. Looking back now, I think it's cute. At the time, my brother and I just wanted to watch He-Man. :D

That is a cute story. :D

The 'how things are made' segments are my family's favorites, too.

I could have done without those weird puppets, though.

My kids love the how it's made stuff too, and I agree, I never really got the puppets, but maybe they make sense to kids.

I love Mr. Rogers. I wish more kids shows were like that now. I put them on for my kids sometimes, and they love them too.

You can watch a 26 of them here:

http://pbskids.org/rogers/vote/

Great! Thank you!

Dh never realized it, but one of the reasons we dated was because he did his senior Leadership paper on Mr. Rogers and his leadership style.

That's a great story. I love all of these stories about Mr. Rogers. He just spread happiness!

My dc were watching an episode once, years ago. Mr. Rogers was just sitting in his living room and talking to the kids, quietly, no bells and whistles, no graphics, no music, no scene changes every .08 seconds. Dh came into the room and watched a few minutes. Dh, who had never seen Mr. Rogers (he grew up in Pakistan), said, awed, "He's a genius."

:)

Exactly! He didn't condescend to kids, and he did something few kids shows do. :001_wub:

I love Mr. Rogers! I really belived he was talking just to me every day! I love it when my daughter answers his questions as if they are having a conversation. Greatest kid's show ever.

I still feel a little sad whenever I see the show. I even tear up when I see the Blue's Clues episode that was dedicated to Mr. Rogers. I haven't told my kids that he died.