Menu

Psychological disorders are real in children

:)

I was just explaining to my boys about several things, like:

"You were born autistic. You are blessed. You are smart. Your brain does work! You don't need fixed, you just need to tap into your strengths" (he had more autistic traits when he was younger, outgrew some and has aspergers)

"Your brother was born with a low IQ. We cannot change the IQ. He didn't do anything wrong to have a low IQ" (different son, his IQ was just above retarded at the end of 5th grade...)

"The front brain really is impaired and your brother cannot discern what consequences follow certain actions." (a brother with adhd)

And, I never realized that he had adhd... I was the one thinking that he was bratty and needed more punishment... Thank God we turned to psychologists and he has a fabulous psychiatrist.

Edited by BMW
corrected spelling

what type of work does the professional do with your son?

My 16yos was diagnosed with CD in May. We were told that there's not a lot of services in this area to help him. Oh great. There's nothing for my RAD dd either. At least I have been able to help her with all my own research. Can't do that with a kid who has CD as they won't listen to the parent.:glare:

Conduct Disorder is a psychological disorder.

It is not just a kid being bratty. It is a real thing that requires a professional to work with the child, not a stronger punishment with a better parent.

That is all.

I'm so sorry, sweetie. :grouphug:

Epilepsy is real, too.

My DD doesn't just need to calm down. :glare:

what type of work does the professional do with your son?

My 16yos was diagnosed with CD in May. We were told that there's not a lot of services in this area to help him. Oh great. There's nothing for my RAD dd either. At least I have been able to help her with all my own research. Can't do that with a kid who has CD as they won't listen to the parent.:glare:

Other than a therapist we are not getting any real help in this area. But at the same time I am trying to get gramma(my mom) to "get it" DD got into huge trouble at camp this weekend due to her conduct disorder. She is not off the hook by far, she is being held accountable. However, gramma claims that saying she has CD is just making up an excuse for a brat and she should be belted to get it through to her that what she was wrong. I do not believe she needs to be belted for it. Disciplined, Yes for sure. Belted, heck no. Even if she was just a brat I would never belt her. I made that very very clear to gramma.

But then she just focused on the fact that the kids do not have actual psychological issues, that is is because I am not tough enough, and being a good parent means you are tough enough. Seriously, I swear if my mom read about the pearls when we were growing up she would have followed their book hands down other than the fact she is not a christian, so it wouldn't be because she wanted to save our soul but because she wanted to save herself from the embarassment of kids that do bad things.

The kids see a therapist currently. In the past we had an actual shrink working with them and meds. We are not doing meds at this time as they were not effective enough. I have never been a permissive parent, if anything I come down too hard on them as it is.

She doesn't believe in adhd either even though 3 of my kids have it as does my little cousin. She has decided that since my cousin got "cured" by having a couple accomodations at school it is not an actual serious learning disability. What she does not get is that a) there is different severities and b) there is different types, cousin was inattentive only, all 3 of mine with it are combined type and ds is considered very severe.

She does not believe there is such thing as sensory issues, or auditory processing disorder (ds13 was shown to have auditory processing issues when he had his testing last nov). She thinks I had them put in the hospital for me to have me time. Umm yup, I sent my kid away for a month of testing etc just for me time.

We had a fall out about all of this last year. I thought she was finally "getting it" when I showed her the reports from the testing in the hospital and literature about the various things the kids have been diagnosed with. That was until today.

Today I was told that dd is just a brat and should be belted. THat CD is not a real disorder that it is bad parenting. and that my youngest would not have gotten adhd if I sent him to ps away from his big siblings. :glare: Like it is contagious or something.

I try not to talk to my mom about this stuff to avoid this kind of ignorance, but it came up today and now I want to belt her and see if it suddenly corrects her bad behaviour kwim

I'm so sorry. I know I've been judgmental in the past; maybe not to you and yours, but others. I've learned better.

I would also like to add that anxiety and sensory issues are real in children also. Sending my anxious child to school would not toughen her up or make her more independent. Nor is she being bratty and demanding when noises are too much for her or clothing hurts.

:grouphug: It's so hard when not even family understands.

I once told my mom, who is an RN, that a friend of mine was going to have her daughter evaluated for autism. My mom responded that kids get diagnosed with any old thing in today's world! My friend had good reason to ask for an eval, it could help her get needed services to help her child.

Other than a therapist we are not getting any real help in this area. But at the same time I am trying to get gramma(my mom) to "get it" DD got into huge trouble at camp this weekend due to her conduct disorder. She is not off the hook by far, she is being held accountable. However, gramma claims that saying she has CD is just making up an excuse for a brat and she should be belted to get it through to her that what she was wrong.

I don't know if this is useful or not, but with ASD/SPD and a few other related issues there has been a demonstrated connection with gluten (or yeast/casein/soy) intolerance (the blood test the dr does ONLY looks for celiac) and removing them has shown improvement for many (not all) children to at least be better able to handle their symptoms.

:grouphug: I can't imagine a grandmother advocating beating a child with a belt . . . .

do you think your therapist helps in ANY way? My ds doesn't want to go to one, and at 6'3 with CD, I can't say we can make him. Even though he's a minor. We consider placing a CHINS on him and forcing him to go, but I've spoken to quite a few people with kids with this disorder and they tell me the therapist really doesn't help.

I know it's hard not to talk to your mom. A daughter should be able to turn to a mom for advice, comfort, sympathy. But I really think you should stop talking to her about this entirely. I had to learn to do the same with my own parents. I love them, but they just did NOT understand what we were facing in the home, especially with my RAD kid. Sadly, they didn't get to live long enough to see her do better. :sad:

I hope you're not beating yourself for mistakes you've made. Parents of kids with CD *oftentimes* become stricter to get the child to comply. We did the same, and no, it didn't work. I just could NOT understand why this kid would not comply anymore. He had a double concussion and then woke up a different kid. He doesn't even realize the change in himself since the head injury.

While medication doesn't help those with CD, many with CD also have other mood disorders, and many have anger. MY son is on medication to help stabilize his moods, and to help his fuse to be longer.

You know, many people don't believe in "labels." ADD, CD, ADHD, SPD, you name it. I used to question myself whether or not they were all true. Then I got two kids with ADHD, one with RAD, now one ADHD has CD. I no longer question it. I *know* they're real. Let your mother not believe that they're not real. Just don't talk to her about it. Do you have a support system? I really think it could help you. If you don't have anyone IRL, I'd *highly* suggest you start going to NAMI meetings. They have those meetings for adults with mental illness, and also for adults with kids with mental illness. Find when the parents meet. You may have more resources available to you than you realize. They will help you. Your mom won't! She loves you, but she's very ignorant with the serious issues you face.

Do you belong to any online support groups? Yahoo groups? They turned out to be my greatest source of information and help for my RAD dd. I know there are groups out there for ADHD parents, parents of troubled teens, maybe even groups which focus on CD and other issues you face.

***I try not to talk to my mom about this stuff to avoid this kind of ignorance, but it came up today and now I want to belt her and see if it suddenly corrects her bad behaviour kwim

:lol: I *DARE* you to try it!!! ;):lol: As a mom of a teen with CD, you are RIGHT in that she will not improve with that type of discipline. In fact, I think it would make her worse. You know what you're doing. Trust your mommy gut.

I'm sorry things are so difficult for you!!!:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I don't know if this is useful or not, but with ASD/SPD and a few other related issues there has been a demonstrated connection with gluten (or yeast/casein/soy) intolerance (the blood test the dr does ONLY looks for celiac) and removing them has shown improvement for many (not all) children to at least be better able to handle their symptoms.

:iagree: I know there are yahoo groups for many of these things. I used to belong to a adopt_biomed yahoo group. There was a wealth of information, and many parents saw drastic improvement in their kids.

:iagree: I know there are yahoo groups for many of these things. I used to belong to a adopt_biomed yahoo group. There was a wealth of information, and many parents saw drastic improvement in their kids.

Just because I was made aware there can be food connections, I noticed his worst aggressive episodes were after having nitrates. (and his favorite breakfast was bacon and eggs . . . ). I pulled nitrates and definite improvement. sigh. (occassionally there are relapses to nitrates and we pay.)

Just because I was made aware there can be food connections, I noticed his worst aggressive episodes were after having nitrates. (and his favorite breakfast was bacon and eggs . . . ). I pulled nitrates and definite improvement. sigh. (occassionally there are relapses to nitrates and we pay.)

have you tried the uncured bacon? Sometimes it's not salted well but you could just add your own.

I've not made that connection yet. Dd8 would live off of hotdogs if I allowed her to.

Thanks ladies. SOmetimes I think I am losing my mind and the only one facing this. IT's tough with dd because so much of our time is focused on ds because he is worse. The therapist helps me with my reactions more than he helps with the kids CD. He is supposed to be ds's therapist but there is not much he can do for CD or the rest, and so often the session ends up being about how I am coping and making me not fall into despair about it all.

He is not currently medicated. Though his ped and I both think he has a mood disorder in addition to everything else and should be, we can't find a shrink to look at the big picture with him. They see him happy for a visit or two and claim he is normal. DD is just plain mean, not a mood disorder or anything with it just mean.

So far DS has CD13, ADHD, auditory processing issues and suspected mood disorder and sensory issues

DD12 has ADHD and CD, DS8 the ped and I agree he has ADHD but he has not been formally tested, plus his bowel disorder (again gramma figures it is just being defiant that he has chronic constipation not that he physically cannot go). I have noticed alot of similarities when I read posts from moms with RAD kids, with dealing with CD kids. I am sure if my kids were not my bio kids or had been abused they would be labeled as RAD rather than CD. The behaviours that both display are so much the same.

I am planning to start with cutting out dairy here. DD used to have an allergy to it, and DS13 and I both have gut issues the dr thinks is IBS, so we will see if that helps. Both big kids had the blood test for celiac and it came back normal, I did not realize that it could be normal and still be causing trouble. I will look into that further. I know when ds has apple juice it sets him off with anger and bedwetting. The same with most pop. The one and only time in his life he drank red gatorade he was walking around like he was drunk, slurred words and all. He is now not allowed any red dyes at all. I will look into nitrates too.

It's hard, because in many ways my mom does try to help us, I know that she cares. BUT she is an idiot and I should know better than to turn to her when I need to vent etc. I don't have any other support other than my mom and my sister and my sister is in vegas right now which is why I was talking to my mom.

Time to make a new menu so I can remove some foods for a while and see what happens.

did your kids have medical issues when they were born? Bio kids can have RAD but it is rare. If there were medical issues with lots of painful procedures, or if their health kept mom and baby separated, the attachment cycle could have been broken.

You have your hands full!!! I'm sorry!

I can only find therapists who help ME cope with my RAD dd, too. It's ok, I'm not feeling I need one right now.......

did your kids have medical issues when they were born? Bio kids can have RAD but it is rare. If there were medical issues with lots of painful procedures, or if their health kept mom and baby separated, the attachment cycle could have been broken.

You have your hands full!!! I'm sorry!

I can only find therapists who help ME cope with my RAD dd, too. It's ok, I'm not feeling I need one right now.......

No medical issues that caused a major separation. DS was in the nicu for 4 days BUt I roomed in and spent hours and hours doing kangaroo care with him holding him close. DD was never in the nicu.

I know they are not RAD at all. Just that many of the behaviours are the same so maybe RAD moms are the ones that can best understand what it is like.

I'm struck, in a sad way, often by the dichotomy:

My DD (and myself) get immediate understanding, kindness, and sympathy if I share about her disease. (Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis)

But the kids I counsel? They mostly get disdain and assumption. Their very real physiological challenges are discounted in 100 ways.

Of course mental *illness*, cognitive impair, neuro-non-typical is real. Lots of love to those who have to deal with those realities AND the general public's response to it.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: And can we add that children w/ adhd aren't stupid, and that the work isn't too much/too hard for them. Most of them are very intelligent. They just can't stay focused for hours on the mundane!

And my dd's anger won't go away by putting her in ps. Neither will her inability to concentrate.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: And can we add that children w/ adhd aren't stupid, and that the work isn't too much/too hard for them. Most of them are very intelligent. They just can't stay focused for hours on the mundane!

And my dd's anger won't go away by putting her in ps. Neither will her inability to concentrate.

I get that one too. Who knew public school was such a miracle cure. I get told all the time that if the kids went to ps they would not have the special needs they have. Funny thing is those that say that to me the most know that the kids started off in ps and were WAY worse than they are now that they are homeschooled. drives me nuts.

My DD (and myself) get immediate understanding, kindness, and sympathy if I share about her disease. (Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis)

But the kids I counsel? They mostly get disdain and assumption. Their very real physiological challenges are discounted in 100 ways.

Of course mental *illness*, cognitive impair, neuro-non-typical is real. Lots of love to those who have to deal with those realities AND the general public's response to it.

Yep!! My nephew got leukemia at the same time dd was diagnosed with ADHD...everyone was doting on my nephew while avoiding my dd because she is too much for everyone to deal with. While leukemia is horrible and sad my nephew is now in remission with an amazing likelihood of being cured (5 years of remission)...my dd will spend the REST OF HER LIFE dealing with her illness! But its all in our head and I just need to be more consistent with her :glare:

I've been told that children can't BE depressed....all while dealing with a desperately ill and depressed child. Honey, I wanted to say, when you 3yo cries in your lap once a week because she wants to die, she's depressed! It's not in HER head or in MY parenting!

Whew....that was years ago and I didn't realize how mad that could still make me!

For many years many in my family and even some friends doubted my (13) dual diagnosis of Aspergers and severe mood disorder (still not sure if it's bipolar or schizoaffective). Then two years ago when he was 11 he attempted suicide by trying to hang himself. Suddenly I wasn't this crazy mom who was making excuses for him, most of them actually believed he wasn't well. Too bad it took him almost dying for them to see it.

For many years many in my family and even some friends doubted my (13) dual diagnosis of Aspergers and severe mood disorder (still not sure if it's bipolar or schizoaffective). Then two years ago when he was 11 he attempted suicide by trying to hang himself. Suddenly I wasn't this crazy mom who was making excuses for him, most of them actually believed he wasn't well. Too bad it took him almost dying for them to see it.

I've been told that children can't BE depressed....all while dealing with a desperately ill and depressed child. Honey, I wanted to say, when you 3yo cries in your lap once a week because she wants to die, she's depressed! It's not in HER head or in MY parenting!

Whew....that was years ago and I didn't realize how mad that could still make me!

:grouphug::grouphug: to you both. I know exactly that feeling. DS13 was on antidepressants at age 7 when he planned out his suicide because he felt he was too stupid to live. That was when he was in ps, and is the reason I started homeschooling when I did. Thankfully he has not had any repeats of that time to date, though I know he still has issues with his moods. EVen when it got severe enough that we were at that point and he was put on meds, my extended family said it was just a spoiled kid looking for attention not a real problem because he didn't actually attempt it. They don't get that he didn't have to actually attempt to be Dx with depression.

Conduct Disorder is a psychological disorder.

It is not just a kid being bratty. It is a real thing that requires a professional to work with the child, not a stronger punishment with a better parent.

That is all.

:iagree::iagree::iagree: BTDT!!!! Therapy was not useful to my son, at least the years we tried it. Medication has been his answer. The meds, strong, heavy duty meds, he is on are what allows him to function in society.

I get so tired of hearing it is my parenting style, my lack of parenting, homeschooling, not being a good Chrisitian and/or that his diet caused the diagnosis.

My son does not suffer RAD, he has also been diagnosed w/ ADHD along w CD, but it does not play out in the ways most people describe it.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: to OP. It is so very real.

yes, the kids you counsel are out of control brats, and the parents are lazy and don't discipline. Didn't you know it? :angry:

MEDICAL issues gain sympathy. I still see how people don't accept mental illness, don't like to talk about it, etc. Some just think they're all LABELS to excuse their behavior.

Ignorance is bliss.

:hurray::hurray::hurray:

:iagree:100% Thankfully, my adhd dd doesn't have anger/behavioral issues, but my adhd son does.

I wish her swim coaches would GET IT that she's ADHD and still a really SWEET kid who just can't sit still when they're instructing her!

I am very impressed that she can learn entire routines and memorize them even before the rest of the team does.

I get that one too. Who knew public school was such a miracle cure. I get told all the time that if the kids went to ps they would not have the special needs they have. Funny thing is those that say that to me the most know that the kids started off in ps and were WAY worse than they are now that they are homeschooled. drives me nuts.

my ADHD son got worse in PS once puberty hit but he still wasn't bad. Add a double concussion, CD was diagnosed the year after. During that year he was HORRID. In fact, it was about two weeks after the injury that one of his teachers called to see if he had psychological issues. :001_huh:

Protect your kid's heads. Head injuries can bring about mental illness in kids genetically prone to them, and they can worsen current mental illnesses.

my ADHD son got worse in PS once puberty hit but he still wasn't bad. Add a double concussion, CD was diagnosed the year after. During that year he was HORRID. In fact, it was about two weeks after the injury that one of his teachers called to see if he had psychological issues. :001_huh:

Protect your kid's heads. Head injuries can bring about mental illness in kids genetically prone to them, and they can worsen current mental illnesses. We allow NO sports/activities which present head injury risks.

:crying: this one is even new to me. I didn't know kids could suffer from depression at such a young age. :grouphug:

My dh doesn't believe that our kids diagnoses are real. He just can't accept that the diagnoses are real. I know he's in denial, but it doesn't make it any easier to deal with.

will he go to appts or read materials you provide?

I can't imagine, Angie! It must feel so lonely dealing with it all on your own.

A friend of mine has a child with many issues, but I don't think they're accurate in their diagnosis yet. The drs are still trying to figure her son out. Her husband is more old school regarding discipline, and she is positive that only makes her son worse. It's difficult for sure!

:grouphug:

Oh my word!!!!!!:grouphug::grouphug: I hope the right med combination is proving successful for your son!

:grouphug::grouphug: to you both. I know exactly that feeling. DS13 was on antidepressants at age 7 when he planned out his suicide because he felt he was too stupid to live. That was when he was in ps, and is the reason I started homeschooling when I did. Thankfully he has not had any repeats of that time to date, though I know he still has issues with his moods. EVen when it got severe enough that we were at that point and he was put on meds, my extended family said it was just a spoiled kid looking for attention not a real problem because he didn't actually attempt it. They don't get that he didn't have to actually attempt to be Dx with depression.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:and I won't say anything else about your family because it wouldn't be nice. :sad: I just can't imagine.