Menu

Would or do you test?

I know I have a while to think about this but it has been weighing on my mind. In Ohio we can have our children take the standardized tests or we can have an independent portfolio review. Originally we wanted to just have our son's portfolio reviewed as we don't like the emphasis on testing. But now I am starting to think perhaps I should just have him take the tests with his peers.

He has always scored in the top on our state's achievement tests, last year was no different even with all his issues in public school.

I just feel like I need to validate my decision to homeschool him and make sure he is staying on track. I should say he is a gifted child, he has always tested well above grade level, so if he did go down it would probably cause me to have a breakdown. It's funny though because he keeps telling me he is learning way more than he ever did in school.

Anyhow any advice, experience, or words of wisdom would be appreciated. I am just being doubtful today.

If he decides to go to college, he will need to take standardized tests. It may be a long way off, I don't know how old your son is; but I do know that the more tests you take, the easier and less intimidating they become.

I would test, with a portfolio you have the subjective opinion of the reviewer.

If he decides to go to college, he will need to take standardized tests. It may be a long way off, I don't know how old your son is; but I do know that the more tests you take, the easier and less intimidating they become.

:iagree: In this case I think testing can be less about comparisons to peers, and more about preparation for downline opportunities (or expectations).

Philosophically I see no point to these tests, but realistically I desire my kids be comfortable with the format, process, and expectations of standardized testing. I think providing this familiarity will be more beneficial than test-taking in general will be harmful.

My state requires neither testing nor portfolio, but I'll be giving my kids standardized tests every few years any how. Jury is out on whether I'll have them scored, but for sure I'll make sure that my kids see and experience standardized testing long before high school. I don't even know if my kids will go to college, but I figure it's better to err on the side of opening one up to more opportunities.

I had my kids do the standardized test route. We never did test prep. They did well.

The main reason I went this route was so my dc would have a comfort level with testing. My oldest is in public high school. He has to take state exit exams to graduate. He took the ASVAB. He has taken the PSAT, SAT, ACT, 3 SAT IIs. Just those alone are necessary for the college admission process. I do know you can go to colleges that don't require these tests, but it's nice to be able to consider the whole spectrum of colleges. My point is as my dc proceed through their education and into careers, they will have to take standardized tests. My thinking was to just start having them take standardized tests and at the same time not make a big deal about them.

I hate testing. NC requires it.

I was using the CAT because it was cheapest, but my Aspie about lost it each time I did it.

I have finally gotten a hold of a Woodcock Johnson to keep and use that each year. It works SO much better for us.

I give it at home.

Edited by DawnM

I'm from Ohio and I use a portfolio review. The woman who did my review was a high school teacher in a top rated high school for 17 years. She homeschooled her children and grandchildren and now homeschools other people's kids. She talked with my son, went over everything I brought her, recommended curriculum and asked about curriculum that she hadn't seen. She makes a point to find out about curriculum so that she can recommend it to others based on their needs. I have considered doing testing every few years just for my own information and to allow my children some test taking practice.

Thanks for the replies. I guess I should have worded the "peers" comment better. He spent 8 years (if you count public preschool) in public schools and academically he did well. It was not an issue of poor academic quality that caused me to pull him out, so I now worry a bit. Our original plan was for him to go back to public school for high school, although who knows now. I kind of feel like if he does decide to go back to public school it would be best if he was to take the standardized tests along with the kids his age. I don't worry too much about his ability to take them, he has been taking them for years with no anxiety and much "success" but I just don't really think they are a true measure of success.

I do like the idea of doing both, that is a really good option. I would love for someone to look at the actual work he is doing not just have some test tell me he knows material above his age level.

Thanks again.

Our state requires testing. But honestly, I don't mind a bit. It's an interesting exercise and we've used the Peabody K-12 oral achievement. This is a great option for a gifted child because a kid can go through and hit the top of the test for any grade. My 5th grader actually is at the ceiling of this test now and this year I think we'll just do the Explore. We pay $50 to have someone administer the Peabody in our home.

One thing is the breadth of information we cover in homeschool does not remotely get reflected in testing. Test scores don't always directly reflect what you might expect. I guess I'm in favor of test exposure for college bound kids. My ACT/SAT scores never reflected my actual ability because I only had the option to do it once. I think exposure to different test formats is good. And something like the Peabody (similar to the WJ, with a slightly lower ceiling) is actually fun for the kids. Both my kids enjoyed the Peabody. It was given by another homeschool mom in a conversation/game like format.

Edited by kck

I'd test, but then again, I'm not anti-test. I feel testing allows one to see successes and potential gaps that need to be filled in while still allowing time to fill in those gaps. When it comes time for college testing, there will no longer be time to fill in the gaps.

The first year I pulled my kids out and had them tested I found out my youngest was 2 years behind in math (after ps) and my incredibly brilliant middle son had never been taught fractions in ps except on the calculator (which he couldn't use for the test). We were able to get both of those fixed without issues. Without official testing I might not have figured it out.

Youngest also scored poorly in science, but I didn't worry about that. We had covered different things. I made sure we covered the "grade level" things the following year.

Tests can be very useful IMO and the process does get the student used to them for later when they count.

We do portfolio reviews every year as per PA law. It's not the same as testing IMO.

Since your son tests well, I would have him tested. That sounds much easier than a portfolio review, and you will get information and validation. If he scores well, then you feel validated. If he scores poorly on a section or two, then you have information to make corrections before things go too "off course". That is my opinion, for what it is worth.

I'm in Texas, where we have no requirements such as testing or portfolio review, but I am having my oldest son tested with the Stanford through our homeschool co op for two reasons: to get him accustomed to testing and to monitor his progress. (He has learning disabilities so I feel the need to test him more than my other kids.)

Many of you test someplace else, we have the option of them testing at the school when the other kids test. Have any of you done that? My only worry is that the results go straight to the school district rather than having me take the results to them.

School was an option for us, but I decided against it. Here they do one section per day over a few days. I wanted one day of testing instead of disrupting several days.

In my state, homeschoolers must take a yearly standardized test until they are 16. I've never given them too much weight, realizing that I teach things on a different schedule than the ps, so my kids may not have yet learned what is being tested, etc.

However, I've always been glad for the practice. If my kids go on to college, I want them to feel comfortable taking this kind of a test.

Unless you're thinking of the SAT/ACT, I don't remember my dds taking "standardized tests" in college.

I find the alternative in Ohio to be ridiculous and invasive, so yes, we tested for our assessment (except the years dh signed for us.)

I also find that (1.) it makes my dc less test-anxious because they are used to it, and (2.) it helps to show any gaps - and then you can decide if they are valid or not and whether you want to take any action based on them.

You do need to know going in that if you have a radically different S&S than the public schools (we do,) the scores will need to be viewed through that lens.

Thanks for the replies. I guess I should have worded the "peers" comment better. He spent 8 years (if you count public preschool) in public schools and academically he did well. It was not an issue of poor academic quality that caused me to pull him out, so I now worry a bit. Our original plan was for him to go back to public school for high school, although who knows now. I kind of feel like if he does decide to go back to public school it would be best if he was to take the standardized tests along with the kids his age. I don't worry too much about his ability to take them, he has been taking them for years with no anxiety and much "success" but I just don't really think they are a true measure of success.

I do like the idea of doing both, that is a really good option. I would love for someone to look at the actual work he is doing not just have some test tell me he knows material above his age level.

Thanks again.

If you're planning (or even remotely thinking about, lol) sending him back to school, having one standardized test to give to the school would be a good thing. School officials won't know how to evaluate a portfolio in regards to his placement :glare:.

Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about standardized tests.

If he stays home through high school, and he's planning to go to college, then yes, standardized tests might be helpful in preparation for the SAT/ACT (although it might be even better to use SAT/ACT preparation materials instead of the end-of-year standardized tests).

For information about gaps and for the future. In case he goes back to public school, test scores are a straightforward answer to questions regarding his abilities.

Like other commenters, I don't sweat gaps in science or social studies. We study these on our own time table.

If your child plans on college, they will need to take at least one standardized test. Taking a test once a year gets them used to the process.

My children are in elementary school so I don't test for anything else. Once they have concept, we move on and don't take time out of schooling to adminster a test. As they move out of the grammar stage, I plan on adminstering more tests, but not the fill-in-the-bubbles. College will have short answer and essay tests so I want my children to be used to responding in this manner.

Many of you test someplace else, we have the option of them testing at the school when the other kids test. Have any of you done that? My only worry is that the results go straight to the school district rather than having me take the results to them.

NO, I would not allow the results to be sent to the school. You do not legally have to do the testing through them, not in Ohio, and I would not do it if that's what they want. Testing can be as cheap as $25, so there's no reason to be required to give them more information than legally required. In Ohio they only get the top number (the composite score), nothing else. No subscores, nothing. So if you're not going to receive the scores directly, I would definitely think through your comfort. If money is an issue, I guess just do the testing through the school. If you have the $25, the CAT is quick and can be administered by the parent. We've done it through CLP and Seton, and both were fine. BJU has a testing service for the Iowa and others.

I've also already forgotten, did you say your dc is SN? You mentioned wanting to know where he's really performing vs. what a standardized test will show you. What you want is the Woodcock Johnson III (WJIII). It has no ceiling and is given one-on-one with a tester. It cost us $75 this past year with a lady in (sorry I've forgotten the town, west side of Columbus), and it was a good process. It's still standardized, still works for your state-reporting (only the top/composite number!), but the tester keeps going to find the dc's ceiling. Gives you a much better picture of what is going on when you have a complex kid. You can see the math way up, the spelling way down, reading off the charts, whatever. Results in a very thorough, multi-page printout explaining everything. Lots of info, less time (~2 hours), and not that much more cost.

I've done both the portfolio review and the testing, because I wanted the feedback I was getting from someone who had kids like mine. You're allowed to pick your reviewer, so you are in control of finding someone who will actually have valuable feedback for you. If it's just a regular teacher who's going to be wowed and rubberstamp, that's not much help. I wanted someone who would dig a bit and tell me something useful. Every year the lady spent several hours with me, looking at what we had done, looking at what I had planned for next year, suggesting goals/holes. It was a very worthwhile process and one I highly recommend. As you know, the tests aren't going to tell you the whole picture, only how he's doing on what they test. That live person sees the rest.

The other nice thing about doing both is it both gave me peace of mind, quantifying how we were doing AND gave the reviewer additional information to work with. She could look at the test scores, look at what we had been doing, and read the tea leaves. We try to do that ourselves, but fresh eyes are good too, kwim?

Just ask around and see what you find and what you want to do. Remember, just because you test DOESN'T mean you have to turn in the scores. You can test, keep the scores, and turn in the letter with the portfolio reviewer sig. It's your choice. Either way you're fulfilling the law.

We test locally with other homeschoolers (SAT-10), and do no test prep. Last year, DD really seemed to enjoy the experience. She LOVED getting to pack a lunchbox with a snack for mid-way through testing, and getting to go outside to play between sections. I think it kind of gave her the "school experience" that she wanted,for a few days. It stressed me MUCH more than her. She scored exactly as I would have expected.

Unless you're thinking of the SAT/ACT, I don't remember my dds taking "standardized tests" in college.

I was talking about the ACT/SAT - but I did have to take fill in the bubble tests in some of my larger college classes.

If you're planning (or even remotely thinking about, lol) sending him back to school, having one standardized test to give to the school would be a good thing. School officials won't know how to evaluate a portfolio in regards to his placement :glare:.

Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about standardized tests.

If he stays home through high school, and he's planning to go to college, then yes, standardized tests might be helpful in preparation for the SAT/ACT (although it might be even better to use SAT/ACT preparation materials instead of the end-of-year standardized tests).

It is not really a matter of being properly prepped for the SAT/ACT, it is getting used to the format and not being intimidated by the tests. We did testing every year from 1st grade through Jr year (PSAT and PLAN). I never worried about taking the ACT/SAT. I had no fear of the format. I have seen a few homeschool students who NEVER took standardized tests, or only took 1 or 2, stress over the ACT/SAT and other entrance exams. The stress came from their lack of test taking abilities. I helped one prep for the test, she knew all the information; she was just unsure of her ability to take the test. Another was working through the entire test prep book. She was stressing over the amount of time it was taking, she could not balance it with her work load for school (she started PS for HS).

Taking tests is about more than the information - it is a skill that is learned from practice.

NO, I would not allow the results to be sent to the school. You do not legally have to do the testing through them, not in Ohio, and I would not do it if that's what they want. Testing can be as cheap as $25, so there's no reason to be required to give them more information than legally required. In Ohio they only get the top number (the composite score), nothing else. No subscores, nothing. So if you're not going to receive the scores directly, I would definitely think through your comfort. If money is an issue, I guess just do the testing through the school. If you have the $25, the CAT is quick and can be administered by the parent. We've done it through CLP and Seton, and both were fine. BJU has a testing service for the Iowa and others.

I've also already forgotten, did you say your dc is SN? You mentioned wanting to know where he's really performing vs. what a standardized test will show you. What you want is the Woodcock Johnson III (WJIII). It has no ceiling and is given one-on-one with a tester. It cost us $75 this past year with a lady in (sorry I've forgotten the town, west side of Columbus), and it was a good process. It's still standardized, still works for your state-reporting (only the top/composite number!), but the tester keeps going to find the dc's ceiling. Gives you a much better picture of what is going on when you have a complex kid. You can see the math way up, the spelling way down, reading off the charts, whatever. Results in a very thorough, multi-page printout explaining everything. Lots of info, less time (~2 hours), and not that much more cost.

I've done both the portfolio review and the testing, because I wanted the feedback I was getting from someone who had kids like mine. You're allowed to pick your reviewer, so you are in control of finding someone who will actually have valuable feedback for you. If it's just a regular teacher who's going to be wowed and rubberstamp, that's not much help. I wanted someone who would dig a bit and tell me something useful. Every year the lady spent several hours with me, looking at what we had done, looking at what I had planned for next year, suggesting goals/holes. It was a very worthwhile process and one I highly recommend. As you know, the tests aren't going to tell you the whole picture, only how he's doing on what they test. That live person sees the rest.

The other nice thing about doing both is it both gave me peace of mind, quantifying how we were doing AND gave the reviewer additional information to work with. She could look at the test scores, look at what we had been doing, and read the tea leaves. We try to do that ourselves, but fresh eyes are good too, kwim?

Just ask around and see what you find and what you want to do. Remember, just because you test DOESN'T mean you have to turn in the scores. You can test, keep the scores, and turn in the letter with the portfolio reviewer sig. It's your choice. Either way you're fulfilling the law.

Is your assessor named Dana by any chance? She sounds like the one that we use. :001_smile:

My state doesn't require testing, but I tested DS at the end of last year and plan to continue testing end of each year....for me and to also give him practice with the standardized testing formats. For me it's mostly to see that yes, he is where I think he is and that I'm not being biased in my evaluation of his ability or progress. Last spring we didn't prep for the testing, we just did it as if it were part of our normal day.

My school district only administers the OAT's to its student body.

I feel that the OAT's are low-level tests that don't provide much useful information for each individual test taker. I want to know my kids' national percentile rankings including sub-scores;that information is impossible to determine if you test using the OAT's since the tests just compare the students in Ohio and only list the academic levels without any percentile rankings.

Even if the school administered a nationally normed test, such as the IOWA's, I still would have my kids tested elsewhere because I don't want the school to have that kind of information.

Once my kids reach middle school age, I have them take the SAT. It is quicker than the other testing options, and it gives them exposure/experience for the real thing in high school

Yup. :)

http://www.danaramsey.com/ Here's her website, if the op is interested. She did a great job, had a very pleasant demeanor, and was very affordable.

How funny! Small world. We've used her for several years as well. We really like her a lot. She used to be closer to us when she lived in Dublin, but I have no problem driving out to Marysville to use her. I always look forward to having her do the assessments and analyzing the results.

Depending on the degree being pursued, there are several standardized tests routinely taken past high school level.

OP- while I am not a fan of using a standardized test as the primary method of evaluating a student, I want my children to be at ease with testing. If your son is already comfortable with testing, and it could be used to make your life easier within your state education department's bureaucracy, you should test.