Menu

If you use more than one math curriculum...

4maybabies

I don't use more than one FULL curriculum, but I do use pieces of more than one. ;)

I use Math Mammoth as my spine. It's easy to teach, all right there on the page. DS does well with it. It's easy to accelerate (which was very necessary in the beginning... now we're settling into "where he is").

I use Singapore IP and CWP as fun extras. They give us a break from MM - just something different to look at. The challenging problems in the IP are sometimes very challenging, so that's good too.

I also use Zacarro's Primary Grades Challenge Math. This is fun math to do with Mom. :) We work the problems together. There are often concepts DS hasn't learned yet in his curriculum (and won't for a while), so I'll just help him with the arithmetic there (like long division), but let him figure out what we need to do to solve a problem. We both really enjoy this book.

If we are having a busy week and don't have time for "extra math", we'll just do MM and feel perfectly comfortable that we've done plenty.

I am currently using a mixture of TT, MUS, and MM in the following ways:

-6th grader using TT 7 as his main program and MUS Epsilon as a supplement. He doesn't get MM at all, but that could be because he never learned to think that way. However, I really don't think he would have gotten it when he was younger, either.

3rd grader uses MUS Gamma as his spine and supplementing with MM where I see fit. We find MM visually unappealing, but this ds gets it very easily and doesn't complain too much about it. Plus, I have the whole lot of MM on pdf, so if supplementing is needed, it is where I go first. This ds has asked to add TT to his math schedule. I am buying it, but it will be just for fun or for use when he finishes Gamma since I don't think Gamma will take him all year to complete.

2nd grader is using MUS Beta as her spine and supplementing with MM in the same way as ds above. She doesn't get it as easily as ds, but MUS really clicks with her. She is asking for TT as well, but I will only buy it if she completes the other things I have for her since I don't think she would REALLY use it.

Each child also does a one minute speed drill each day. All together it sounds like a lot, but I skip things I know they have mastered or cross out problems here and there as well. When they master something in MUS, we move on as suggested and don't finish every worksheet. MM only supplies pages for things I feel we need extra work in, a different angle on, or that the other curricula didn't cover. They actually complete math in a very reasonable time each day. The younger two are often finished in less than 20 minutes and my oldest takes anywhere from 45 minutes to a little over an hour which I think is good for a 6th grader.

I have not been able to find a math program that makes me COMPLETELY happy. This combo works for us for now, but if I had to just use one, I would probably stick with MM for the kids that can use it and use CLE for the one that doesn't get MM.....even though he hated CLE, he did well with it.

I use MUS as our spine, and supplement with various materials from the Critical Thinking Company. In part because it follows a more traditional scope and sequence than MUS; in part because it is colourful (unlike MUS). The combination works very well for my boys. I'm a pretty mathy person though so we do lots of other 'math stuff', like games and living math readers and things; just today we finished watching the excellent Story of 1 documentary with Terry Jones. I also have a copy of MM Dark Blue (by topic), which I supplemented for my older on clocks (which he just wasn't getting), and we may do more topics as needed later. We also have some LOF books. But the core of our program is definitely MUS and CTC, and I find they complement each other beautifully.

The Sponge uses Singapore as her spine, with IPs used extensively. We also do math games, playing around with manipulatives, xtramath.com, various random drill supplements, etc. Next year I plan to switch to AoPS Beast Academy as our spine, with Singapore IPs for a supplement. (We are using the Beast Academy sample right now as a supplement, but it won't be released until next year.) We used to use MEP as a supplement for her and I'm going through the next year of it now to see if it will work.

The Drama uses MEP as her spine, with Singapore as a supplement, plus the math games, manipulatives, etc.

I also have Miquon but I'm not sure how to work it in. :confused:

We used just MUS Gamma last year. I am continuing this year with MUS Delta, BUT adding in MM. I felt a bit 'worried' because of the way MUS moves up by mastery. I felt there were some gaps in the kids' math skills.

We have started this year by only using MM 3rd grade as a review. When we are past the multiplication lessons, we will jump back into MUS. I will continue working in MM as review, differing approach and gap filler and to touch on lessons not covered in the MUS Delta.

We do McRuffy Color Math K as our spine, but are changing to Singapore next year (for 1st grade). We supplement with Miquon, RS games and Critical Thinking Company Hands on Thinking Skills. We also use lots of manipulatives. We do McRuffy every day and then we do one other thing almost every day (usually Miquon 2-3 times a week, manipulatives 1-2 days per week and Critical Thinking Skills 1 time a week). Our total math time is about 30-45 minutes per day. We play RS games after dinner 2-3 times a week.

We use Singapore with the IP and CWP. I have the MM geometry to supplement....but we have not tried it yet...I have not quite figured out when to do it. SM fills our math time. Any more than 20 minutes and he starts to zone out and retains little. We are getting ahead in SM. I think we will have a month left in the fall after finishing 2A, we will do more IP and some MM then. I hope to do the same in the spring, finish the main text early and then finish IP and CWP.

We use MEP as our main, and I've just added Miquon as our supplement for lower grades (actually, all the boys are doing it, just at different levels/paces). After Miquon runs out, I want to supplement with LOF, cause it sounds fun.

I have also used / am using: MM clocks, money, addition/subtraction 2 (regrouping) and multiplication. MEP doesn't cover American money or imperial measurements, and I wanted to be sure DS9 understood the why behind regrouping and multiplication. This summer I have SCM's Pet Store for my 9 yo. I hope he likes it - we will see.

We use Math Expressions for our main math, but I'm in the process of adding Miquon to the mix: my new books just came today!! Looks like it's going to be a relatively easy blend. ME has a lot of hands-on kinds of activities, lots of manipulative work, but Miquon looks like it's more interest-driven. I hope we'll be able to find a good balance since I think there's a lot to recommend both programs. At this point, I'm very carefully not looking at anything else: more than 2 programs would make me crazy, I think!:tongue_smilie:

We use Rightstart and supplement with Singapore on days we don't have time to do Rightstart. This is not necessary though. We mostly use Singapore as a way to review and for DD to practice some independent work. I love Rightstart but it is more teacher intensive and would be difficult to do with multiple kids unless they were similar enough in skill area that you could combine two of them in a level. If you could do one level with your oldest and another with the next two it would probably be okay. Otherwise I think Singapore, Math Mammoth, or Miquon are all solid choices (alone or combined).

8yo dd: AoPS preAlgebra; Math Olympiad problems; and a sprinkling of MM and Sadlier-Oxford. We also work math into science and general life.

6yo dd: MM, Sadlier-Oxford PiM, and DK's "Go Diego Go" 1st grade level workbook

I think you can work most things together. I think it is easier if they aren't spiral, unless your primary is spiral and you are using others to reinforce/extend.

The more I do it, the less I feel bound to any particular math curriculum. They are just resources to help. :D

I would just use one if any one would work for my math resistant son. Our primary is supposed to be Math in Focus and I'm using parts of Math Mammoth, RightStart games and AL Abacus books, some Miquon C-Rod stuff, Singapore CWP, and some Life of Fred (LOF for the interesting aspect/supplemental) with him as well. I've used MEP and may throw it back in given he enjoyed it. I'm adding DreamBox to see if it helps attitude. Ugh. Don't use me as an example. His twin would do wonderful with RightStart, Math Mammoth, or Math In Focus (or Singapore) alone.

If it would work with the kids in question Math Mammoth seems like an inexpensive, easy to implement, and excellent quality math education to me. With the ages of your kids though I think RightStart is a beautiful introduction to math for the young ages. Math in Focus is easy to implement with just the student book and student workbook for the early grades anyway (K-3).

Edited by sbgrace

My oldest is using SM Standard edition (starting this year), IP and SWP, SM Olympiads problems, Russian math, LOF Fraction (for fun), Zaccaro "Primary Challenging math", MEP challenging problems.

My 4.5 years old is using Miquon math, Russian math (RM), Singapore math US edition, IP and SWP, RS math partially, MEP selectively. He will be moving to "Beast Academy" math next year as a primary, but supplementing with SM IP, CWP, Olympiad assignments, RM and MEP.

If I had little ones again, I'd use miquon or mep. From around 2 nd math mam moth, singapore or mep. I'd probably end up using more than one, but those would be my starting point. Only curriculum I've used & not liked was MUS, which went in the bin when I saw it used line graphs for colours.

Whatever you choose to use, read Liping Ma's Understanding Mathematics, and Jo Boaler's The Elephant in the Classroom.

ahem...don't tell anyone we do all this...:001_unsure: 'tis embarrassing...

9 yro:

Math Mammoth 4a/4b

Singapore Challenging Word Problems 4

Life of Fred Fractions

finishing up Miquon

some math topics thru Kitchen Table Math (fridays)

8 yro:

Miquon

Math Mammoth 3a/3b

Kitchen Table Math (fridays)

6 yro

Miquon

Singapore - but we are ditching it. She responds so much better to Miquon.

We have always used Singapore as our spine and I am just massively burned out from it (I have no idea why). So, we switched to MM this year, which actually seems identical to Singapore (but with more problems). :D

You don't have to do all that with your kids. Like, you could just do math mammoth and everything would all turn out the same in the end. In fact, I need to start a thread called "I push my kids way too hard".

We use MEP as our spine, after a lot of hemming and hawing and trying to figure out the best one. Miquon put my dd in tears even though she got the idea. So, that one is out. She's already completed SM K Essentials. She loves MEP though and will often "do" problems on her own based on MEP such as the string and bead puzzle, the number machine, etc. We also use MM right now. She's been orally doing math facts for the last year, and we're using this to give her written practice with them. She's also very mathy and loves math and often wants more. She's a workbook type of gal for "school" but she doesn't mind games after school. We also do the Rightstart games, and I have the Al Abacus worksheets for her.

Right now, I just have her do a sheet of MM after MEP if we don't run over on time. If we don't get to it no big deal as we school year around. I'm not sure how long we'll be doing both programs, as I'm really liking MEP. I'll probably be moving her to just the MM blue supplements at some point. So far the fifth day reviews haven't added much so I may make that game day or something like that for her. I do have other math things I can use, but so far this is what is working for her.

My kids are older than yours, but we use MUS and LOF. MUS is our main curriculum and we use it from August until the level is finished. Then we do the corresponding LOF from the time MUS is finished until LOF is finished during the summer. It makes a much shorter break or no break from math in the summer and gives us two very different looks at the same material.

4th grader - Teaching Textbooks with some parts of MM and some parts of Key to... TT is his main math, but we use MM and Key to... to either review weak areas or get ahead when he's interested in something that won't be covered for awhile.

2nd grader - Just switched to Singapore. Also using LOF for fun.

K - Math Lessons for a Living Education and Waldorf math. We already have McRuffy, so we may use that here and there for variety.

:001_huh: wow! That is AMAZING!!!! :D

Not amazing, it's just that my kiddos are just naturally abstract thinkers, so math comes easily.

DD#1 blew thru math 1-4, but somewhere in the last year her attitude changed from loving math to dreading it. She rolled her eyes at 5th grade math, and she said, "done that" and was bored and started to hide when it was time for math. I LOVE math, so it was breaking my heart. That's when I realized math 2-5 is just the same stuff repeated year-after-year with more digits and complex decimals/fractions.

I switched to challenge problems (math magic and smarty pants) and saw a big improvement. A week after starting the math olympiad and preA books she is yelling "I LOVE math!" from the rooftops. A month in and she's even drawing pictures and signs of "I love math!" and covering them with math problems she creates. I was afraid she had turned into a math hater, but changing to more challenging curricula turned her around.

I just share this to encourage anyone who has seen the light go off for math to not be afraid to mix things up. I was hoping she'd like it more, but I NEVER thought I'd see such a dramatic turn around! :)

Edited by ChandlerMom

Currently (Singapore) Primary Mathematics Standards Edition (with IPs and CWPs) is our "spine."

In the pre-k/K years Miquon was the vital introductory program. It provoked such a high interest in math that I added elements of MEP, CSMP, Japanese Math, RightStart elements and games, and Singapore. Innate tries to bring in the other materials in the spirit of the "Math Lab" approach in Miquon.

We still use Miquon as a supplement (and the teachers materials are a constant resource for me), but Singapore is the main program. Ed Zaccaro's Primary Grade Challenge math is very popular with my son for introducing "advanced" concepts in an easy to understand way.

I do like to regularly have a Math Lab day where we breakout from a linear progression through Singapore to explore something challenging and fun. I draw on many resources for this, including many mentioned above. I have also been having fun with some of the SMSG "New Math" materials from the 1960s.

I don't know what will happen to the math mix when the Beast Academy books are released next summer. The sample was so good I can't imagine not using it. So I guess we will figure it out.

Bill

Not amazing, it's just that my kiddos are just naturally abstract thinkers, so math comes easily.

DD#1 blew thru math 1-4, but somewhere in the last year her attitude changed from loving math to dreading it. She rolled her eyes at 5th grade math, and she said, "done that" and was bored and started to hide when it was time for math. I LOVE math, so it was breaking my heart. That's when I realized math 2-5 is just the same stuff repeated year-after-year with more digits and complex decimals/fractions.

I switched to challenge problems (math magic and smarty pants) and saw a big improvement. A week after starting the math olympiad and preA books she is yelling "I LOVE math!" from the rooftops. A month in and she's even drawing pictures and signs of "I love math!" and covering them with math problems she creates. I was afraid she had turned into a math hater, but changing to more challenging curricula turned her around.

I just share this to encourage anyone who has seen the light go off for math to not be afraid to mix things up. I was hoping she'd like it more, but I NEVER thought I'd see such a dramatic turn around! :)

That is so awesome!!! So glad you turned that attitude around young! Its hard to do when they are older... Ask me how I know :glare: Ahem... my 8th grader

I use Math Mammoth and Mathematics Power Learning for Children and supplement with The Verbal Math Lesson and Kitchen Table Math. Occasionally a little Miquon. Haven't caught the bug for that one but I have it so I try it for a change now and then.

ChandlerMom, that is encouraging. Thank-you for sharing. :)

We started this summer just playing around with Miquon and when we officailly started the school year our plan was to do Singapore as our spine (K for one and 1B/2A for the other) and just do Miquon on Fridays.

Well two weeks in and my boys say they want more Miquon and less Singapore. So....not sure what to do. The last few days we are just doing Miquon (Orange for K'er - slowly and Red for 2nd grader). My oldest (7) is starting to have a bad attitude about Singapore - mostly regarding the CWP - he really struggles with it. He never seems to know where to start with an answer or how to write it down - he cringes when I bring it out.

So not sure how we are going to proceed. I may just work away with Miquon for a while so they can rediscover how much the use to love math.

Angela

I teach both ds and dd6 using Math Mammoth, my husband teaches them in the evenings using Miquon. We do 3 days of MM and 2 of Miquon and plan to do math year round to "finish" both programs if needed. (Obviously we will accelerate/slow down based on comprehension, but it looks like we will need extra time to get both finished to our satifaction.)

Oh, and we do LOF apples with dd6 on Fridays. So far...meh. I keep waiting for it to wow me but...

Three days a week, we use Singapore Math to cover the traditional scope & sequence for 5th grade. We started off slow, since we are transitioning to it from another curriculum, but we are starting to pick up the pace. I also ordered the book of Challenging Word Problems, and plan to use them to provide a daily challenge problem.

One day a week, we use Harold Jacobs' Mathematics: A Human Endeavor. My daughter loves it and wishes we could use it every day. It is much more focused on logic and mathematical thinking, with lots of real-world examples. It is really engaging; I highly recommend it for kids with an aptitude for math.

I also ordered the book of Challenging Word Problems, and plan to use them to provide a daily challenge problem.

I just have to say I really like this idea! I've been struggling with when to fit in the CWP and IP and I can't say DS is thrilled with CWP, but I think he could appreciate a daily challenge. Thanks for the idea! :)

DD is currently using Singapore as her "spine" with supplements of MM "blue", LOF, Kumon Word Problems, and Hands-on Equations Verbal Problems book. After she finishes her current book (5A), I'm planning to switch to a combo of Horizons Pre-Algebra and Singapore Discovering Math 1. She'll be following the order of the Horizons book but for the topics that are in both books, I'm planning on having her learn the concepts through Singapore first because I think it's better conceptually.

DS is currently using Right Start Level B as his "spine" with supplements of Addition Adventures, Subtraction Secrets, and he will be starting Singapore IP and CWP a bit further on into RS B. I also plan to do a quick run-through of Singapore 1B textbook only at some point. He did Singapore 1A textbook only prior to starting RS B, but I didn't feel like he really had all the solid a grasp on the concepts of place value & addition/subtraction. I'm planning to take him through at least the first part of RS C, then re-evaluate.

Singapore Primary math is the spine and we supplement with Horizons Math and Key to Measurement. I plan on adding Beast Academy when it rolls out next year - dropping Horizons.

ETA: I forgot about Singapore Challenging Word Problems and Intensive Practice books. And "other" books like Penrose the Mathematical Cat.

Edited by MissKNG

We started this summer just playing around with Miquon and when we officailly started the school year our plan was to do Singapore as our spine (K for one and 1B/2A for the other) and just do Miquon on Fridays.

Well two weeks in and my boys say they want more Miquon and less Singapore. So....not sure what to do. The last few days we are just doing Miquon (Orange for K'er - slowly and Red for 2nd grader). My oldest (7) is starting to have a bad attitude about Singapore - mostly regarding the CWP - he really struggles with it. He never seems to know where to start with an answer or how to write it down - he cringes when I bring it out.

So not sure how we are going to proceed. I may just work away with Miquon for a while so they can rediscover how much the use to love math.

Angela

The good thing about Miquon and C Rods is that the boys will eventually see that the bar-diagram method of word-problem solving in Singapore the same thing as what they are doing with C Rods, only the "bars" are not of any fixed length. But otherwise it is the same idea.

Bill

I'm combining with some of my children.

8th grade ds, using Systematic Math {not combining}

6th grade dd, using Math U See Epsilon and Zeta {not combining}

5th grade ds, using Math-U-See Delta and Epsilon {not combing}

4th grade ds, using, MUS Gamma and TT5. He needs a little more practice with double digit multiplication so this is why he is using MUS Gamma. He does know most of his multiplication and therefore he is already half way through with Gamma. I plan to have him continue with this combo with Delta. Teaching Textbook 3x a week and MUS 2x a week.

3rd grade ds, Teaching Textbook 3 with some T4L srpinkled in here and there.

1st grade ds, Queens Homeschool Living Math for a Living Education {not combining}.

MEP is our spine; we also add in Singapore (textbook, workbook, and CWP), and are going through Miquon.

MEP is done daily, with one other math added in daily. I don't try to make it all match up; they serve as nice review for each other.

The C-rods are very helpful for working through the Singapore bar diagrams:). Thanks, Miquon!

ETA: We are also using Graded Work in Arithmetic by S. W. Baird (google books, or Don Potter's site) as our mental math. My very competitive boys love this.

Edited by Zoo Keeper

I just don't "get" Miquon. We hated it!

My 3 and 6 year olds use RightStart Math. My 6 yo uses Singapore as a supplement and extra work.

My 9 & 10 year olds use Singapore as our main program. We also use the CWP and Intensive Practice. I do supplement with some times tests from Saxon 6/5 and we also review some of the concepts in Saxon so they know all of the standardized test areas. Oh, and we do some MEP, too. We will add in LoF and Hands on Equations soon. I don't do this because I "have" to, but I just like all of the different methods.

Last year (K) and this year (1st) we have been using Horizons as our main course, with Kumon workbooks, Hands-On Standards (K-2), and Math Mammoth as supplements. I've been less than happy with Horizons, actually. :glare: I feel as though the TM does nothing to help me truly teach, there is an over-emphasis on drill at the expense of developing conceptual understanding, and I'm not comfortable with some other aspects of the program. We'll finish out our 1st grade year with it, but next year we plan to begin using Singapore PM as our main course (2nd & K). If that doesn't work out, or if all the little books drive me crazy, :D I have MM Blue (1st-3rd grades), Hands-On Standards, and some Kumon. We also have all of Miquon. IOW, we have enough to work through for a while!

I'm no math quiz, but "philosophically speaking" ;):lol:, I have a problem with using only one approach to math, at least with young students. As a growing teacher, I am still becoming familiar with how these children learn, with how they think mathematically, with the strengths and weaknesses of the materials we use, and with my own limitations and abilities as a teacher of foundational mathematics. Based on my limited experience, using different materials has already helped me to become a better math teacher.

In fact, I was just thinking about this today when we spent our math time playing various math games, and I realized that I was entirely comfortable with this as a teacher. Comparing, using, and absorbing the essentials of several programs has helped me to better understand the best goals of math in the early years. It's easier now to see how math games, songs, drills, play centers, hands-on activities, and more may help us to achieve those goals. IOW, my focus has shifted from "finish this lesson or page" to the overarching concepts, and the results in my children are knocking my socks off. As young as they are, they are LIGHT YEARS ahead of where I was in my conceptual understanding, probably even by middle school. I could barely do mental math in high school :tongue_smilie:but they make a game of it in the back of the van. :D I'm not sure I understood fractions, ratios and percentages until well into adulthood; my children already seem to "get it." They also seem to understand multiplication and division intuitively, I think :confused: from singing catchy skip counting songs. Actually, I don't know where they get it from. Must be his side of the family...

Edited by Sahamamama

Here's my current approach:

Until my kids are ready for TT3, they will be doing Singapore as their spine. Then TT but supplementing with Singapore. I am also taking a day to do a math game or activity that may or may not be related to what they are learning. I will draw from Sonlight's Math Games and Activities, Peggy Kaye's books (Games for Math or Games for Learning), Family Math, as well as anything else interesting from the Library. If I find a cheap copy of RightStart Math, I'll add that to the mix too.

I have an almost 9 year old, a 7 year old, a 5 year old and a 22 month old tornado so I have to lighten things up a bit if I'm going to survive this journey :001_smile: