Menu

S/O Implied Swearing and Euphemisms

Are they ever appropriate to use?

In the other thread, a lot of people said that saying "what the..." was inappropriate b/c it implied a swear of some sort. So if it was inappropriate to say WTH or WTF, it was inappropriate to say WT. (And defenses were mounted of WT by arguing it has an "innocent" meaning, as opposed to arguing that, as a euphemism, it can be appropriate in situations in which the full phrase is not.)

Now I admit, I swear (more than I'd like), and so I do say WTH and WTF in all their, er, glory. But while I'd not say WTH or WTF in church, for example, if a situation occurred there in which those phrases would otherwise be used, I'd probably say WT and not think twice about it. It's similar to the example given on the other thread, of "I'll be ****ed!" being euphemistically shorted to "I'll be!" - sure it means the same thing, but it's more acceptable to say.

Granted, this only applies if you think that saying WTH or WTF or whatever is acceptable (in some contexts) in the first place. But to me about all made-up swears are just euphemisms for the "real thing" - I don't get how saying "Oh fiddlesticks!" is ok if "Oh F---!" is always wrong.

(Honestly, I think it is ridiculous that in English-speaking countries the worst swears are mere vulgarities while actual blasphemies are the "tame" ones; my understanding is that in most European countries (at least the Catholic ones), it's the opposite, which makes way more sense to me.)

Anyway, I guess I see both actual swears and the various euphemisms as having appropriate times and places to be used, with some euphemisms being perfectly acceptable in polite company (though, like actual swears, much better used as rare-ish emphasis and not dropped every other sentence - or word :glare:.)

I have banned "What the..." around here, yet I struggle with more severe (IMO) implied swearing such as "Geez", in particular. Must work on that.

While we enjoyed the movie Cars, I am pretty annoyed by the casual use of the term "Dad Gum" in that movie. Even worse was the sequel called "Mater's Tall Tales" in which an entire episode was devoted to this phrase.

I guess the only way to help the children understand the implications is to explain their origins and help model avoiding the terms.

Are they ever appropriate to use?

I grew up being told that people with weak vocabulary, weak communication skills, and weak minds (sorry :blushing:) had to resort to using those terms, because they were unable to communicate in a more proper/effective way.

So no, for myself and my dc, they are never appropriate to use.

I'm not using that as a blanket condemnation of those that do, just answering the question you asked. :001_smile:

Edited by Julie in CA

I grew up being told that people with weak vocabulary, weak communication skills, and weak minds (sorry :blushing:) had to resort to using those terms, because they were unable to communicate in a more proper way.

Oh, I've first hand experience with how overuse of swears degrades one's vocabulary and overall ability to express oneself :glare: - no argument there. I don't mind having the words as part of my "arsenal" - sometimes they really are the best way to convey something - but they do tend to become all purpose words to convey three zillion things, and before you know it you can't easily come up with alternatives :glare:. Makes it hard to reserve them to their proper time and place.

(Honestly, I think it is ridiculous that in English-speaking countries the worst swears are mere vulgarities while actual blasphemies are the "tame" ones; my understanding is that in most European countries (at least the Catholic ones), it's the opposite, which makes way more sense to me.)

:iagree:

because my parents were so anti-swearing (euphemisms included) my brother invented a word that he used instead....

For the first time I met someone who doesn't seem to allow ANY expression of exasperation. Her daughter corrected her when she said "Oh darn," and she told me that she teaches her daughter to just say "I'm sad" or "I'm angry." ???

The only reason swear words are offensive is because of what they signify to the listener. If someone really wants to be offended by "Oh my!" then that's their prerogative, but I think it's just looking for something to get offended about. In my family, we don't say the "real" curse words (F-, g-d, hell, etc.) but darnit (LOL!) if I'm going to stop saying something that could be associated with a curse word because someone else draws their line in the sand. Sometimes you stub your toe really hard and you just need to say DANG IT!

I'll use the real thing or nothing.

My kids don't say much... I've told them that strong words should be reserved for dire situations and so far we have not had an issue. They do say "What the heck?" but they finish it... not "What the... ?" Around here that would imply WTF?

I don't mind euphemisms, but what bugs me is people who think it is morally wrong to say the real word but are fine with euphemisms :glare:. All they are are just a more polite way to say the same thing.

I agree with reserving them for dire situations, and one thing I've noticed is that you can *make* the situation seem dire or otherwise by whether you use a swear. Habitual swearing makes everything seem dire, and so both heightens negative feelings and diminishes what dire is.

Really, I've no moral issue with swearing, which is why I sometimes take issue with most anti-swearing arguments, but habitual swearing is definitely a poor habit, with lots of negative consequences.

I think there is a time and a place for swearing. Done properly it can almost be a work of art. :lol:

If one of my kids swears I give them credit for having a means to creatively express themselves. I don't get my panties in a knot over it.

That said, my youngest is 14. I wouldn't have been so accommodating when my kids were younger.

I'll use the real thing or nothing.

My kids don't say much... I've told them that strong words should be reserved for dire situations and so far we have not had an issue. They do say "What the heck?" but they finish it... not "What the... ?" Around here that would imply WTF?

We just cuss and get it over with. :D

We are not serious cursing people around here, but if it is worth saying we go all the way. We think it is sloppy and lazy to express ourselves with half-hearted euphemisms instead of clear speech, so we don't utilize heck, darn, or Lord-love-a-duck.

On the other hand, sometimes people need a verbal outlet. Half a dozen times per year I will say WTH or d*mnit. That's as far as I ever go. My husband goes farther, as he was a Navy man, but he doesn't swear in the house or around small children or ladies.

For the first time I met someone who doesn't seem to allow ANY expression of exasperation. Her daughter corrected her when she said "Oh darn," and she told me that she teaches her daughter to just say "I'm sad" or "I'm angry." ???

That was always my mom's belief. She would apologize to us if she said "rats" or "nuts" when she was cut off in traffic! And she would wash a kid's mouth out with soap if he said the word "butt."

I have not been able to achieve this level of sainthood regarding pure speech. On the other hand, she has always suffered ulcers and I don't. I do see a connection.

Are you my mother? :D I was raised (by a former English teacher) with the same reasoning. She insisted that people who swear, or who rely heavily on slang/jargon, possess limited vocabularies and limited creative speech.

Same framework, then, for my own dc.

It is interesting to ponder the relationship between what one reads and how one speaks (and writes). If one is malnourished (via print and aural input), one can't respond any better.

I grew up being told that people with weak vocabulary, weak communication skills, and weak minds (sorry :blushing:) had to resort to using those terms, because they were unable to communicate in a more proper/effective way.

I'm not using that as a blanket condemnation of those that do, just answering the question you asked. :001_smile:

I just can't imagine how this would translate into adulthood. You're in a carpool and someone cuts you off in traffic and you say "I'm angry."? I would look at someone like :confused:. It seems like it would sound like you were expecting someone to do something about it. How would one respond? "I'm sorry?".

It is interesting to ponder the relationship between what one reads and how one speaks (and writes). If one is malnourished (via print and aural input), one can't respond any better.

Are you suggesting that those who choose to swear are lacking in education or exposure to fine literature? Perhaps they are well-educated and well-read but just feel like expressing themselves explicitly. Such a choice does not necessarily mean that they are incapable of using other words.

I actually agree with that. However, sometimes swearing is just so ^$# cathartic!

:D

My dh swears...a lot. I don't like it at all but I pick my battles. :) We have chickens and my older boys are constantly making chickens noises. I have to admit that I laughed hard when I heard them say "What the (insert crazy chicken noise here)?" It does bother me but it's hard to reprimand them when their dad does it. I'm glad that they have decided dad is a little nuts to swear and that they don't talk like that.

We are not serious cursing people around here, but if it is worth saying we go all the way. We think it is sloppy and lazy to express ourselves with half-hearted euphemisms instead of clear speech, so we don't utilize heck, darn, or Lord-love-a-duck.

See, I like all the various euphemisms, because they express different levels of frustration. "Oh bother" conveys a much smaller degree of upset than "Oh f---", and usually my tone of voice matches. (Although in polite society sometimes a euphemism is used when I'd otherwise use a real word, and my tone of voice reflects that.) And saying something silly like "gosh-diddly-osh" makes the cause seem funny. The word used both reflects and creates the level of frustration caused by the motivating event.

Maybe I'd be better off by not commenting at all if it doesn't rise to the level of a "real" swear, but I'm just too verbal for that :giggle. (And some day I'm going to learn a bunch of Shakespearean insults and vulgarities to expand my repertoire :D.)

I'm not committing to any conclusions.

Are you suggesting that those who choose to swear are lacking in education or exposure to fine literature? Perhaps they are well-educated and well-read but just feel like expressing themselves explicitly. Such a choice does not necessarily mean that they are incapable of using other words.

:iagree: I was actually just thinking of posting a spin-off thread on this very subject.

I think there's a huge difference between vulgar words and profane words. You'll catch me (occasionally, but still, probably more often than I should) using vulgarity. But never (I hope) profanity.

I mean, sh-- means "poop" and f--- can imply violence, I guess, but it can also just mean a quickie . . . and neither poop or sex is necessarily sinful or awful.

But "hell"? Um, I think eternal ****ation is worse than poop. I just do. :tongue_smilie:

It does sound like she might be suggesting that. However, with my limited vocabulary, (no doubt because of the curse words taking up space in my brain) I can't really be sure. :001_huh:

:leaving:

Strictly my own experience, but I consider myself fairly well read, and I found that after let my swearing standards slip, after a while I *did* find it hard to use other words. Using a swear was reflex, and it took effort to find a better word. When I came to that realization, I started making more effort to control my language - not everything needs a real swear, and it *is* too easy to slip into that habit.

We were raised not to curse but my dad cursed! We knew for sure when he was hurt or angry! Some forms of expression just hurt my ears! There just has to be a better way to express that please!!! Especially when it involves using God's name! ...that gets me the most and I come from a church background that aces in that form of expression!!

The english language is really beautiful....for me, it can become too frequent and more of a lazy man's way of talking. Better to zip it for ten seconds and see what better form of vocab might flow out!! I really don't want to hear any s*xual lingo flowing out of people's mouths and man...you can't turn on the tv or walk in a store and not hear that...so yeah....we have no interest in that nor using His name...I was strict on that...even if they did it behind our backs. You do what ya can!

Some of my own famous sayings are....(and dern it all...but it's fun sometimes!) ...'shoot the boot!' Heard some guy say that one time and it just latched onto my verbage!

See, I like all the various euphemisms, because they express different levels of frustration. "Oh bother" conveys a much smaller degree of upset than "Oh f---", and usually my tone of voice matches. (Although in polite society sometimes a euphemism is used when I'd otherwise use a real word, and my tone of voice reflects that.) And saying something silly like "gosh-diddly-osh" makes the cause seem funny. The word used both reflects and creates the level of frustration caused by the motivating event.

Maybe I'd be better off by not commenting at all if it doesn't rise to the level of a "real" swear, but I'm just too verbal for that :giggle. (And some day I'm going to learn a bunch of Shakespearean insults and vulgarities to expand my repertoire :D.)

When I say "Darn it!" I mean..."Darn it!" If I want to express a higher level of frustration/irritation/annoyance, then I escalate accordingly.

For the same reason, "Oh my gosh!" doesn't mean I am taking the Lord's name in vain, as that is not my intention. I also don't particularly care if someone else chooses to interpret what I say differently.

I also do get a chuckle from those who go to the standard fall back fo claiming those who use, um, "colorful" language are somehow lacking in education. I see no reason to deny myself the use of words that can so delightfully sum up certain situations. (Of course, I also think the f--- bomb can sometimes be just the riiiiight word in the bedroom.):001_smile:

As kids we were never allowed to even use the implied ones. No ' Oh My Gosh's' because that was the same as OMG, which is taking the lord's name in vain. To this day, dh teases me for saying 'Oh my goodness.' I do say darn and don't take it as bad anymore :)

And we were not even regular church goers. We were just taught it wasn't appropriate or nice.

But my mother could let a certain word fly when she hurt herself, and I still catch myself with that one once in awhile too. And my grandmother, well she was not a church goer at all and could let the words fly. I think that is why my mother was so careful. She didn't like what she grew up hearing :)

I went through a rebellious phase using bad language, and had to retrain myself. I do not even like the implied stuff now. And regular T.V. does offend me now with the OMGs and What the... and the even worse words they say all of the time. I correct my kids immediately when they use inappropriate even implied innapropriate words.

I have a Bachelor of Science in English Literature; I am extremely capable of communicating appropriately, concisely and brilliantly in a wide variety of situations, including the ones where it's thirty below and blizzarding and the neighbors herd of horses just broke down a fence and ate our winter supply of hay. :D

I expect you let out a well timed "fiddlesticks!" and a "jumping Jehosaphat!".

I don't mind euphemisms, but what bugs me is people who think it is morally wrong to say the real word but are fine with euphemisms :glare:. All they are are just a more polite way to say the same thing.

What's wrong with expressing displeasure or surprise in a more polite way? Isn't that the reason we say "excuse me" instead of "move?"

I'd rather hear the little old lady say, "Well I'll BE" instead of "I'll be d______!" And I'd rather hear my kids say "what the hey" instead of the more colorful alternatives. That's the whole reason behind the substitution, it's more polite.

I'm not attaching any moral judgment to any of this, just what can be said in polite company and what should be avoided.

I'm much more bothered by the use of the Lord's name in vain.

:

I also do get a chuckle from those who go to the standard fall back fo claiming those who use, um, "colorful" language are somehow lacking in education. I see no reason to deny myself the use of words that can so delightfully sum up certain situations. (Of course, I also think the f--- bomb can sometimes be just the riiiiight word in the bedroom.):001_smile:

Exactly! :) I have a BA in English and biology, so when I say F in those circumstances I am using all of my education to express myself quite well. :D

Are you my mother? :D I was raised (by a former English teacher) with the same reasoning. She insisted that people who swear, or who rely heavily on slang/jargon, possess limited vocabularies and limited creative speech.

Same framework, then, for my own dc.

I bite my thumb at thee! (Shakespeare)

Have you guys seen Fantastic Mr. Fox? I'm sure some find it offensive, but we thought the use of the word "cuss" instead of actual "cuss words" was quite amusing.....and useful. I don't use "those" words myself as I find them vulgar and/or blasphemous........but they are just words and I will occasionally whip out a good ole "What the cuss!"

Badger: In summation, I think you just got to not do it, man. That's all.

Mr. Fox: I understand what you're saying, and your comments are valuable, but I'm gonna ignore your advice.

Badger: The cuss you are.

Mr. Fox: The cuss am I? Are you cussing with me?

Badger: No, you cussing with me?

Mr. Fox: Don't cussing point at me!

Badger: If you're gonna cuss with somebody, you're not gonna cuss with me, you little cuss!

Mr. Fox: You're not gonna cuss with me!

[Both start snarling at each other, and then settle down]

Mr. Fox: Just buy the tree.

Badger: Okay.

Have you guys seen Fantastic Mr. Fox? I'm sure some find it offensive, but we thought the use of the word "cuss" instead of actual "cuss words" was quite amusing.....and useful. I don't use "those" words myself as I find them vulgar and/or blasphemous........but they are just words and I will occasionally whip out a good ole "What the cuss!"

Badger: In summation, I think you just got to not do it, man. That's all.

Mr. Fox: I understand what you're saying, and your comments are valuable, but I'm gonna ignore your advice.

Badger: The cuss you are.

Mr. Fox: The cuss am I? Are you cussing with me?

Badger: No, you cussing with me?

Mr. Fox: Don't cussing point at me!

Badger: If you're gonna cuss with somebody, you're not gonna cuss with me, you little cuss!

Mr. Fox: You're not gonna cuss with me!

[Both start snarling at each other, and then settle down]

Mr. Fox: Just buy the tree.

Badger: Okay.

:lol:

A lot of TV shows and eh, local urchins, heh, are in the habit of saying "Oh my G_d" -- something I really don't allow my kids to use AT ALL. (and my dad does, so I explain to them that grandpa just has a bad habit and it is not appropriate to correct him).

Anyway, when my kids slip and say the phrase, as they sometimes do, I don't nag. I stop them and we say a couple of prayers. If we're gonna summon God, by gosh, we're going to have a REAL CONVERSATION!

I bite my thumb at thee! (Shakespeare)

I curse, my ds has heard me curse. I try to use a variety of more eloquent works, but sometimes the curse words fits the tone and attitude I desire for the occasion. I went on a tirade yesterday with my dh on the phone, not at him, but TO him about a current cussing situation. He got my intent quite clearly.

I can not find my Shakespearean insult book, but as soon as I do I'll fall back to more learned expressions of heightened emotion. I might even teach ds a few. :001_huh:

I direct my children away from "Oh my God" toward "Oh my goodness". Dh and I are atheists. :confused: For some reason it just bothers me. Their (Mormon) grandmother says "Oh my gosh" all the time. They bring that phrase home, and I direct them back to "Oh my goodness". Who knows why I do this. I think it comes down to some things, which others think are completely unoffensive and harmless, just rub others the wrong way. It doesn't mean that "Oh my gosh" is actually offensive, and people shouldn't say it. It just bothers ME. And sadly, I don't get to make the rules.

We just cuss and get it over with. :D

Us too. I do believe there is a time and a place, but honestly to claim it is only the weak minded etc that cuss is not right. When I confronted the guy that crashed into my ds and broke his leg it was not because I was weak minded that I swore at him. Or the last time I smashed my toe (again) I said a combination of actual swears and euphenisms. It is not a part of everyday language but things that cause pain, or extreme situations like my ds's car accident. There is a time and a place, and when trying to physically stop myself from clawing someone's face off, a cuss does quite well ;)

:lol:

A lot of TV shows and eh, local urchins, heh, are in the habit of saying "Oh my G_d" -- something I really don't allow my kids to use AT ALL. (and my dad does, so I explain to them that grandpa just has a bad habit and it is not appropriate to correct him).

Anyway, when my kids slip and say the phrase, as they sometimes do, I don't nag. I stop them and we say a couple of prayers. If we're gonna summon God, by gosh, we're going to have a REAL CONVERSATION!

When I catch my kids saying that one or Jesus Christ I tell them I better find them on their knees praying to be saying those words, they get down immediately and turn it into a prayer.

Some people seem to be implying all exclamations are replacements for cursing. That view is foreign to my way of thinking.

:iagree:My dh and I were just talking about this a few weeks ago. He's a preacher so take that for what it's worth.

I don't find most cuss to words to fall in the category of a sin or morally wrong. I find them to be distasteful and rude, though. I will teach my children not to say things like sh*t, f--k, *ss, etc. because I do not want to raise children who are rude and/or disrespectful to others. I also agree with the pp who talked about how it's easy to slip into a habit of using curse words instead of trying to find other ways of communicating (BTDT all through high school and most of college!). There are some phrases I can't stand just because I find them callous, such as "This sucks!" and "Screw it!", even "What the...?" phrase that started this whole spin off thread.

However using God's name to curse or in a way that doesn't show reverence is where I would see it as being morally wrong. I have a no tolerance policy for saying, "Oh, my God, Oh, my gosh, d*mn, or God d*amn." That is because, to me and our family, the Bible is very clear about taking the Lord's name in vain. His name is to be used carefully and respectfully, and being d*mned is not something to be taken lightly.

To the OP's original point, though. I have no problem with using exclamations in place of when others might have used a curse word. For example, these are some of my favorite euphemisms:

Shoot fire and save the matches!

Good grief! (hubby's fav. I even bought him a Charlie Brown t-shirt he says it so much!)

Crap! (my mom still gets onto me when she hears this one, but I do think this one is rude and am trying to break the habit)

Oh my goodness! (kids use this one a lot. They had picked up OMG and OMGosh from watching TV. Why is everyone's response when they get a home makeover OMG? :glare:)

Anyway, that's our take on it here in our home.

:iagree:My dh and I were just talking about this a few weeks ago. He's a preacher so take that for what it's worth.

I don't find most cuss to words to fall in the category of a sin or morally wrong. I find them to be distasteful and rude, though. I will teach my children not to say things like sh*t, f--k, *ss, etc. because I do not want to raise children who are rude and/or disrespectful to others. I also agree with the pp who talked about how it's easy to slip into a habit of using curse words instead of trying to find other ways of communicating (BTDT all through high school and most of college!). There are some phrases I can't stand just because I find them callous, such as "This sucks!" and "Screw it!", even "What the...?" phrase that started this whole spin off thread.

However using God's name to curse or in a way that doesn't show reverence is where I would see it as being morally wrong. I have a no tolerance policy for saying, "Oh, my God, Oh, my gosh, d*mn, or God d*amn." That is because, to me and our family, the Bible is very clear about taking the Lord's name in vain. His name is to be used carefully and respectfully, and being d*mned is not something to be taken lightly.

To the OP's original point, though. I have no problem with using exclamations in place of when others might have used a curse word. For example, these are some of my favorite euphemisms:

Good grief! (hubby's fav. I even bought him a Charlie Brown t-shirt he says it so much!)

Crap! (my mom still gets onto me when she hears this one, but I do think this one is rude and am trying to break the habit)

Oh my goodness! (kids use this one a lot. They had picked up OMG and OMGosh from watching TV. Why is everyone's response when they get a home makeover OMG? :glare:)

I say Good Grief constantly lol Also crap is on our "word lists" Not school list lol But something we say, if the kids say something that is a cuss or close to it or another rude word they are not supposed to use I ask them if it is on their word list. Crap is one of the allowable words. That and I say crap on a cracker, when I want to use a harsher cuss but have little ears around.

Why is "Oh my goodness" okay but "Oh my gosh" isn't? I have seen that before and never understood it.

This is exactly how I was raised. Slang was categorically frowned upon. I don't live up to that expectation all the time, but I try. I do think it helped limit my use of slang and thankfully, that means my children use very little of it also.

Edited by Daisy

Why is "Oh my goodness" okay but "Oh my gosh" isn't? I have seen that before and never understood it.

I don't see "Oh my goodness" as a direct reference to God like I do "Oh my gosh".

I grew up hearing my mom say, "Goodness gracious" everytime she was surprised so I guess that's where I got it :001_smile:

My usual surprise reaction is "Holy Cow!" unless I'm in a Hispanic mood and then I'll say "Santa Vaca!" :tongue_smilie:

Personally I don't care what is said in private. I'd prefer not to be bombarded with F-this and S-that and D-the other when out in public.

Like with most everything else time and place do matter. Those words are bothersome to a great many people. Just save your profanity and swearing for places other than those commonly occupied by the general public.

It does sound like she might be suggesting that. However, with my limited vocabulary, (no doubt because of the curse words taking up space in my brain) I can't really be sure. :001_huh:

:leaving:

*snort* :lol:

I think the notion that any exclamation is a replacement for a cuss word is boulderdash.

And hell is no more a cuss word than heaven. They're locations, not curses. I guess I could replace hell with Timbuktu, but I wouldn't want to offend Timbuktians. (Timbuktuans?)

But this conversation has been had here several times before, so I won't rehash all my opinions again.

Needless to say, if you don't want to say it then don't and if you don't like people who do, then hang with different people.

Personally, I might not like the language used, but I'm more interested in the discussion than the language.

There are a few exceptions where I flinch, but otherwise, I get over it without much difficulty. Bigger fish to fry and all that.