Menu

How do you pronounce "hurricane"?

Another pronunciation thread - woo hoo!!!:D

Someone at my church pronounces this word "hair - uh - cane" (emphasis on the HAIR part.)

I've never heard that before so was wondering if this is common - some sort of regional thing. This person is from New Jersey.

I've always pronounced it "hur - i - cane" (emphasis on hur- as in the word her - and a short i).

I wonder how many variations of pronunciations there are for this word.

i live in mississippi, smack on the gulf of mexico. take it from a pro with hurricanes, it's her-a-cane and ending is like saying candycane. here are some others while we are at it.

new orleans is "new orlins" not "new or-leeeens" and

prawleens not pray-leens

just sayin' :001_smile:

p.s. the tropical depression we are experiencing has been tons of fun...NOT!!;)

Another pronunciation thread - woo hoo!!!:D

Someone at my church pronounces this word "hair - uh - cane" (emphasis on the HAIR part.)

I've never heard that before so was wondering if this is common - some sort of regional thing. This person is from New Jersey.

I've always pronounced it "hur - i - cane" (emphasis on hur- as in the word her - and a short i).

I wonder how many variations of pronunciations there are for this word.

Kathleen, I'm from NJ, and I've never heard HAIR-uh-cane, except from people from the South. LOL! :lol:

Kathleen, I'm from NJ, and I've never heard HAIR-uh-cane, except from people from the South. LOL! :lol:

I've been in Georgia and Tennessee for the past 20 plus years, and I've never heard anyone pronounce it with "hair", only with "her", and usually "ih", not "uh".