Menu

What is your current read aloud?

wy_kid_wrangler04

We finished Carry On, Mr. Bowditch today. I cried at the end!

We are listening to The Cat of Bubastes on audio. We're supposed to start a new biography tomorrow but I'm having a hard time making a choice. Leaning towards a bio. on David Livingstone.

I also need to select an Adventure title, if anyone has any suggestions. My boys are 9 and 12.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Sponge (& company): Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

The Drama: The Incredibles, Junior Novelization :lol:. (She picked it from the thrift store & begged to get it. We're going through one very short chapter a day because I don't want to read it but I like her being so excited about a book, lol.)

We just finished Caddie Woodlawn and moved on to its sequel, Magical Melons... figured I'd update because this thread is still going. :001_smile:

Knight's Castle by Edward Eager

Up next:

The Penderwicks on Gardam Place

The Birchbark House

We love Edward Eager! Just this week our entire family decided to stop reading and get rid of The Penderwicks on Gardam --We thought it was nowhere near as well done as The Penderwicks and sometimes just plain annoying. We could not relate. It was a real disappointment.

Like a couple of other posters, as our nightly read aloud, we are currently reading Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIHM and loving it.

We're reading a bunch of other books aloud for school assignments (the kids often say... 'that isn't really school.' because they enjoy them so much).

We have read quite a few of the Dr Dolittle books. I have Dr Dolittle and the Garden waiting in the wings.

Shannon

We've just started A Bear Called Paddington tonight. So far we're all loving it. I can't believe I never read it as a child. I do remember seeing a couple Paddington videos though.

I had not been able to do read alouds for the past month because I had a junky cough that finally turned into pneumonia. Now that I'm on antibiotics, I'm finally getting better again (it was miserable) and cannot believe how much I missed reading aloud for the past month. I'm going to have to make up for lost time, and have added a bunch of the books here to our list!

Next up: Caddie Woodlawn's Family (the sequel to Caddie Woodlawn)
This threw me for a second, but it turns out it's Magical Melons under a new title. I usually don't approve of title changes, but in this case it makes sense to have "Caddie Woodlawn" in the title.

Stowaway by Karen Hesse

When it gives latitude/longitude readings, the kids are marking it on our wall map w/ pins.

0689839871.jpg

"Amazon.com Review

To 11-year-old Nicholas Young, the tall masts of the exploratory ship Endeavour look like an answer to his fervent prayers. On the run from his demanding father and the cruel butcher who employed him, Nick finds adventure beyond his wildest imaginings when he stows away on the ship of legendary Captain James Cook. Once he is discovered and put to work, Nick becomes party to some amazing sights. He meets indigenous natives of Tahiti, New Zealand, and Australia, wonders at the sight of kangaroos, and shudders with horror when confronted with cannibalism. Nick survives a hurricane, a near shipwreck on the Great Barrier Reef, and a deadly bout with typhoid to become one of the few original crew members to successfully circumnavigate the globe with Cook and arrive safely back in England. He notes in his worn journal shortly before sighting his homeland's shore: "We have truly led the way, charting the path for all who come after. I don't know I shall ever feel so again as I feel now. That any of us shall."

Newbery Medal-winning Karen Hesse's story is based on actual Endeavour stowaway Nicholas Young, about whom little is known. Using the real 1768 diaries of Captain Cook and shipboard naturalist Joseph Banks, Hesse has changed Young from a forgotten footnote into a living, breathing person with red hair and a penchant for pork chops. So authentic you can feel the sea spray, this fine fictionalized diary is a nautical treasure for landlubbers young and old. (Ages 10 and older)"

We found a neat website that shows the replica of the Endeavour: http://www.anmm.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=1372

( For those in Australia, the Endeavour replica is touring & visiting various ports until May 2012: http://www.anmm.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=1729 )

Oh I am getting that from the library today! I just called and had them put it on hold for me! That will go perfectly for ECC. We should wait until we do Australia but I don't want to :lol: Thank you!!