Menu

What is your current read aloud?

wy_kid_wrangler04

We're enjoying Tales of the Kingdom (Christian Allegorical story) right now. Amazon has an older cover/version and only used copies but lots of reviews. I really love this book and had never heard of it until a friend recommended it.

We're also reading The Cricket in Times Square in the evening. We usually do have multiple books going.

Edited by sbgrace

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We just finished reading Mary Poppins. The kids absolutely loved it, but we were all surprised by how different the movie was. I mean, I'm used to film-makers taking some license, but the character in the book is so different from Julie Andrew's character.

:iagree: My kids were too when we read it!!!

We are doing Birchbark House and loving it! It is like the Indian version of Little House on the Prairie!

That sounds very interesting! That is on top of my list to check out!! :D

Eta: We loved, loved, loved the Wind in the Willows.

Maybe we will keep our plans and tack on the others after instead of my revised plan! I can't wait to read that!!

Yesterday we started James Harriot's Treasury for Children.

I think I might have to put the Wind in the Willows and Series of Unfortunate Events on our upcoming list though.

It sounds a bit early, but are your kids enjoying James Harriot's Treasury for Children?

Series of Unfortunate Events is coming up soon also for us but now I have so many other good ideas from this thread! :lol: Good thing read alouds are an all the time thing or we would never get through everything we wanted to!!!

We're reading the Birchbark House too. Other than destroying my tongue with Ojibway language words we like it. We're also reading On the Shores of Silver Lake, and listening to Miracles on Maple Hill in the car.

Just a small piece of trivia to throw in here - my mother's side is Chippewa (the English sound) (which is the same as Ojibway).

So here is a linguistic treat for you.

Close your eyes and pretend you are a French fur trader wandering amok in the forest and coming upon a group of Native Chippewas...ah..and say you've had a bit to drink...

Now go talk to your other buddies about the meeting of these Ojibway..

Slightly slur the word: Ojibway

It should come out like: O Jib Wah

Now say: Chippewa

Now say: Ojibway

See how close they are? lol

Fun huh?

When one pronounces Chippewa in hard English, it is the dialetic slur of Ojibway in French. :)

Breakfast: The Bronze Bow

Lunch: Trumpet of the Swan (should finish tomorrow!) then Winnie-the-Pooh

Dinner: The Wind in the Willows

Car (so rare): Cat of Bubastes (from librivox!)

I don't read all of these every day, The Bronze Bow isn't read very often at all, only if there's time.

Misty of Chincoteague, as we're off to Chincoteague for vacation in a few days.

My DS1 (7 yo) has read it and Stormy several times, but DD (4yo) has not. It was a nice read aloud as she is able to follow along a bit with it.

Before that we read The Wizard of Oz (unabridged).

Next up: The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles

I'm really interested in the Little Britches series. I've not read any of them yet. One reviewer on Amazon said there was some foul language and therefore more appropriate for older kids. Can you describe what the "foul language" might be?

There are a few scattered characters who might use a bit of bad language, but my husband, who does the nightly read-alouds, edited on the fly, the same way we have for books like Cheaper By the Dozen, in which the father has rather spicy language. I don't necessarily know when he's editing as he reads, so I'm not sure how much language is involved, but we both feel the character-building aspects of the stories, and the history, make these books winners. We're rather particular, but we love them and intend to keep reading the rest of the series, if that's any help.

Awww, I miss those great books! Can I play? I don't have any littles any more....

We're reading Marrin's Commander in Chief (re: Lincoln and the Civil War); The Long Road to Gettysburg, Murphy; and From Slave to Civil War Hero, Cooper (re: Robert Smalls). No pure lit right now, just history related books. We have been reading some Emily Dickinson poems this week, too....

We're in the middle of The 21 Balloons (William Pene DuBois) which was one of my very favourites from elementary years. In grade 6, we made balloon houses and hung them on large helium balloons in the school library. We also had a feast to go along with the book, where everyone brought in a dish from somewhere around the world.

We're in the middle of The 21 Balloons (William Pene DuBois) which was one of my very favourites from elementary years. In grade 6, we made balloon houses and hung them on large helium balloons in the school library. We also had a feast to go along with the book, where everyone brought in a dish from somewhere around the world.

We loved that book! I too have fond memories reading it as a child, and I was thrilled to share it with my own kids.

We just finished Pocahontas and the Strangers and Cabin in the Snow. Next we will start Our Kansas Home. Also listening to These Happy Golden Years in the car. We have been listening to the Little house series this whole summer in the car and my daughter and I keep trying to find reasons to go somewhere in the car so we can listen to more. :001_smile:

We're reading Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH. I haven't looked at it since I was a kid--we're loving it! We're also reading through Milo Winter's Aesop's Fables for Children.

I really want to do Dr. Dolittle next, but that depends on whether the version my friend has for us to borrow is one of the more recent revised ones. We're almost finished with Aesop's Fables, so we'll be adding a new history-related one soon. I haven't figured out what yet, though!

There are a few scattered characters who might use a bit of bad language, but my husband, who does the nightly read-alouds, edited on the fly, the same way we have for books like Cheaper By the Dozen, in which the father has rather spicy language. I don't necessarily know when he's editing as he reads, so I'm not sure how much language is involved, but we both feel the character-building aspects of the stories, and the history, make these books winners. We're rather particular, but we love them and intend to keep reading the rest of the series, if that's any help.

Thank you! That helps a lot. I tend to edit certain words also, when I read aloud. I love that you called it "spicy language". I'm keeping that term!

We read the original Pinocchio last month (free classic on Kindle). It was such a joy to read-aloud! More humorous than I expected it to be...

We enjoyed The Birchbark House too, more than the Little House on the Prairie. I'm Chippewa/Ojibwe Native American myself, so that was a must-read. I look forward to reading more of her books. My daughter was inspired to write her own similar story, I think I posted some of it in the writing forum.

Hmmm. Maybe I should try again; I tried reading it aloud and couldn't get into it.