Menu

What is your current read aloud?

wy_kid_wrangler04

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We just finished reading Mary Poppins. The kids absolutely loved it, but we were all surprised by how different the movie was. I mean, I'm used to film-makers taking some license, but the character in the book is so different from Julie Andrew's character.

DD4 Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe

DS's Curse of the Blue Figurine

All - just finished Cecile (Girls from Many Lands series)

Car - just finished Magician's Elephant (way over my head!) and just started Sherlock Holmes original radio version (very new genre for us!)

Edited by lauren

We're reading Eight Cousins by Louisa May Alcott and both girls are really enjoying it. This is our current read-aloud for pleasure. I do have other books for school. My younger dd and I are reading On the Shores of Silver Lake and Mr. Revere and I.

Edited by Kfamily

We just finished the wind in the willows ... both kids loved it. The book we got is rather large with amazing illustrations. Kids got a hoot out of toady dressing like a girl .... sooo silly:tongue_smilie: Now we are on to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.:001_smile:

ds7 ~ just started The Wise Enchanter by Shelley Davidsow & midway through The Advetures of Reddy Fox by Burgess, just finished Children of the Forest by Elsa Beskow. My oldest dd is also reading The Chronicles of Narnia to him. I think they're on Prince Caspian.

Starting The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart today with all of them.

We are currently listening to The Hobbit on audiobook. We're getting in the car in half an hour and will have a good 90 minutes with Bilbo soon... Next up is the Lord of the Rings Trilogy. Right before these we listened to A Little Princess, The Story of Doctor DoLittle, and Finn Family Moomintroll. We drive a lot since we live way up in the mountains, so we can finish most stories in one trip and get through a lot of books that way. Tolkien will take much longer.

The entire family is listening to The Subtle Knife, what a great audiobook series! Of course before that we listened to The Golden Compass. DH is in Chile for the past 10 days so we look forward to listening to it with him again soon. I love having an Audible membership.

Satori is reading on her own The Wolves of Beyond and Ramona the Pest, depending on her mood. I am reading (for myself) both Gulliver's Travels and The Mysterious Benedict Society. I think I might turn the latter into a read-aloud after I'm done.

These Happy Golden Years with my almost 11 y/o daughter. Finally nearly done with the series!

"Disney Adventure Stories" with my almost 6 y/o son- I have always had SUCH a hard time getting him interested in sitting down and letting me read to him, and finally here is a book that he pays rapt attention to, asks questions about, and begs for "just one more story" when we're done!

Finishing up The Real Thief by William Steig tonight, then moving on to Poppy by Avi. Dd has already picked out to read All-of-a-Kind Family after that (she loved the passage we read in WWE so she wants to read the book now :001_smile:).

Our read aloud for history right now is The Apprentice.

We just finished Pinocchio, and are wrapping up Cameron Townsend. Just before those two, we'd read in turn the first three books of the Little Britches series, and the boys are begging to read the fourth next. Mary Poppins is in line for Littlest as well. Great books!

I'm really interested in the Little Britches series. I've not read any of them yet. One reviewer on Amazon said there was some foul language and therefore more appropriate for older kids. Can you describe what the "foul language" might be?