Menu

Ear piercing questions....dd will be getting her ears pierced soon...

My dd just turned 12 and she is now eligible to get her ears pierced. We were at the mall today to enjoy a nice mother/daughter shopping day...part of it. I actually went in to Zales to browse. They said they own a boutique dedicated to piercing ears, so we went.

I feel that would be a good place, right? Trained workers hopefully. Clean, experienced, etc. Thoughts?

Should I pursue looking for other places that pierce ears? What do I look for in such a place that would be considered good?

Do you recommend both ears simultaneously?

Also, tell me about the night time for the 4-6 weeks the posts stay in. During the day you're twisting the post, but what about at night when she's asleep solid for 9-10 hours? Will a crust form again and she'll have to "break skin" (bleeding perhaps) to twist the post?

We haven't done this yet either, but I'm thinking of having my dd's done at the pediatrician's office. They charge a little more, but at least I know the equipment will be clean, etc. They mark the girl's ears and then the nurse and doctor do them at the same time.

Good luck!

We haven't done this yet either, but I'm thinking of having my dd's done at the pediatrician's office. They charge a little more, but at least I know the equipment will be clean, etc. They mark the girl's ears and then the nurse and doctor do them at the same time.

Good luck!

OH, thanks Rene. I will definately consider this...didn't even think abou it! Thanks!! Yes, I'm all for clean and experienced.

Thanks Ellie, just read yours!

My oldest has double sets in both ears plus a cartiledge piercing. Her first set was done at 8 or 9, second set at 12 or 13. I also have double holes, my first at 11, second later in my teens, and have had my cartiledge pierced twice but it's closed up now. All have been done at various store jewelry booths/piercing places.

Thoughts:

-They should give you some liquid to use cleaning the ears each day.

-Overnight has never been a problem except with the cartiledge piercing. If its done with the wrong type of earring, it hurts to sleep on. If they are turned every day the crust doesn't really involve skin, it's more the kind of thing you see with liquid oozing out of a cut.

-Be sure to buy non-allergenic earrings. Solid gold may be necessary.

-Simulataneous is probably not as important with a 12 year old as with a younger child. The idea is that if the kid freaks out (because it does hurt) they don't wind up with just one ear done.

I had my ears pierced in 8th grade and then again a few years ago because both closed up from not wearing earrings for a few years. A couple of things I remember from those experiences:

I would not wear the studs for less than 6 weeks, and would consider going longer than that. The first time I had my ears pierced, I couldn't wait for the 6 weeks to be over so I could put other earrings in. I took the studs out and put other earrings in on the day the 6 weeks was over, and my ears were very, very tender. I did clean and turn them every day during the 6 weeks. The second time I had them pierced I cleaned and turned every day for a week or so, and then just turned them for a few weeks after that. I don't remember how long it was. Oh, wait...lol. I still have the studs in. I picked ones that I would be happy with every day for years on end. :lol: Not needing to clean them every day isn't just because they were repierced--one of them was moved to a new spot because the original piercings were slightly crooked. So one was repierced in the same spot and the other in a new spot.

I went to a piercing place in a mall both times and haven't had a problem.

As far as turning at night vs. waiting until morning--I'd wait until morning. A crust probably will develop, but you/she should clean first before turning. This should remove the crust so it doesn't stick when the earring is turned.

When I was that age, the only one in my area that did it was an older pediatrician (no malls, very few stores). He was OK, but I was terrified and he took all of a few minutes to explain it, then got the equipment, did it, and was out the door. I was very traumatized and cried all the way home.

Fast forward many years. We ended up with a local lady who does make-up in a small storefront. She was extremely kind and took all of the time we needed. No one else was around, and we didn't feel rushed at all. She was extremely careful about infection and explained everything. We both hugged her when it was over!

She actually recommended three months with the studs for a girl, and encouraged us to call or stop by to discuss whether it was time or not when that period ended. She said that it was OK after six weeks to take them out and clean them, but not to do that more than twice a week and to put them right back in.

Edited by GVA

DD has her ears pierced. You want to turn the posts 2-3 times a day and make sure that you have clean hands when you touch them. They'll also give you cleaning solution to use on them. We put it on her ears in the morning and she turned the posts. Then we turned them in the evening after washing them well in the shower. Other than that, you DON'T want to mess with them a bunch.

Also, leave the earrings in for a LOT longer than 6 weeks. When I took mine out after getting them pierced (exactly at the 6 week mark when I was 12), they still were raw and it HURT. So I made DD leave hers in for 3 months before we took them out. They were much better. I also insisted that she use solid gold earrings because it lowers the risk for an allergic reaction. I actually still insist that she wear nothing but gold earrings and she's had hers pierced for 2 years.

I'd think Zales is fine to go to. The place we went put dots on DD's ears and then had us check them to make sure they looked good to us. I took DH along because he's VERY good at telling if things are level and even. Then they had a person on each side do it at the same time. I'd just ask for someone who has a lot of experience. :)

I vote go to an actual piercing place where they use needles instead of guns. It sounds awful, but they do put on a topical anesthetic before piercing. DD had a horrible infection after getting her ears pierced with the guns, and we had to let the holes close. I took her to a local tattoo/piercing parlor to get them repierced when she insisted on having it done, and she never flinched. The girl who did the piercing was amazing and put DD and I at ease right away... and even had a stock of suckers on hand for when she got finished (I'm sure they were there for patients with vasovagal or other reactions, but still). We cleaned the holes daily with a salt-water soak and gentle antiseptic solution each evening, and they healed amazingly fast. We only had to turn them every day or two, whenever DD remembered, and they never crusted up at all. It was totally the way to go. Just my experience :)

I vote go to an actual piercing place where they use needles instead of guns. It sounds awful, but they do put on a topical anesthetic before piercing. DD had a horrible infection after getting her ears pierced with the guns, and we had to let the holes close. I took her to a local tattoo/piercing parlor to get them repierced when she insisted on having it done, and she never flinched. The girl who did the piercing was amazing and put DD and I at ease right away... and even had a stock of suckers on hand for when she got finished (I'm sure they were there for patients with vasovagal or other reactions, but still). We cleaned the holes daily with a salt-water soak and gentle antiseptic solution each evening, and they healed amazingly fast. We only had to turn them every day or two, whenever DD remembered, and they never crusted up at all. It was totally the way to go. Just my experience :)

Thanks everyone! I'm taking notes for all the finer points. Sarah, needles vs. guns....please explain.

I had mine done at a jeweler's with a needle, many years ago. Perfect.:001_smile:

FF to dd, a kiosk at a mall, hers was with a gun. It didn't go straight in, it was at an angle,:glare:which made it difficult to put the earrings straight in for months until we got the hang of it.

Oh, and with dd they insisted we sign papers and a permission slip. I was with her. I had to show identification.

Anyone else experience this? I can't remember why now, but it was explained to me on why they needed papers signed, etc.

I had mine done at a jeweler's with a needle, many years ago. Perfect.:001_smile:

FF to dd, a kiosk at a mall, hers was with a gun. It didn't go straight in, it was at an angle,:glare:which made it difficult to put the earrings straight in for months until we got the hang of it.

Oh, and with dd they insisted we sign papers and a permission slip. I was with her. I had to show identification.

Anyone else experience this? I can't remember why now, but it was explained to me on why they needed papers signed, etc.

re: the papers ...liability... it's not legal to pierce a minor without parental consent.

As far as the angle goes, that's one reason you want an experienced person (and just one person, not two people piercing at once.) even if it means doing the ears separately. Pipe up about the angle! Oh and having worked at a few of these places in my day, the managers tend to work weekday shifts, and should be pretty good at it :)

Also, leave the earrings in for a LOT longer than 6 weeks. When I took mine out after getting them pierced (exactly at the 6 week mark when I was 12), they still were raw and it HURT. So I made DD leave hers in for 3 months before we took them out. They were much better. I also insisted that she use solid gold earrings because it lowers the risk for an allergic reaction. I actually still insist that she wear nothing but gold earrings and she's had hers pierced for 2 years.

Yes, leave them in longer then 6 weeks. My dd couldn't wait to change out her earrings and her ears were still very tender at 6 weeks. Plus, she changed them for cheap earrings and she had a reaction. Once I put the gold ones back in I made her leave them in for 6 months. She only wears gold or silver now. She wishes she could wear the cute cheap earrings but she remembers the infection and has no desire to experience that again.

If you do have a piercing place near you I would def. check it out. Needles are supposed to be better then the gun the stores use.

My older dd had her ears pierced at the mall (Claire's) with the gun. They took a long time to heal and got infected frequently.

A few years later we let her get another piercing in her ears but this time we went to an upscale salon/spa where they also do piercings/tattoos (shudder). But, the place is immaculately clean and I had been going there for haircuts and knew the people who owned it. The post they use is a little hoop earring that has some type of little ball on it so it just looks like a petite hoop earring if that makes sense - it doesn't look like a post at all. The piercing was done with a needle, no numbing. She said it hurt less than the gun that they had used at Claire's. The after care was also different: clean the area 2x daily with saline solution (she used contact lens multi-purpose solution on Q-tips) and *no* twisting of the earring. It healed beautifully and fast.

About 2 weeks ago my middle daughter got her ears pierced at the same salon. Same experience - no infection, no problems. This daughter is ultra-sensitive to just about everything (including the seams in socks) and she is breezing through this.

I just wanted to mention this because it was a much better experience at the salon. I don't know if it is the needle, the earring, or the aftercare that made it better (or maybe all three). I do remember the salon guy saying that twirling the earring is like ripping a scab open repeatedly.

Hope this helps! :grouphug:

I am pro-piercer/needle, as opposed to a jewelry salesperson/cashier and gun.

That said, we've been promising to get my 8yo's ears done for months, and can't find a single local piercer willing to touch her. Most of the places I called had to ask other people in the shop b/c they'd never had a child in. I absolutely HATE it, but we may actually take her to the dang mall and just get it over with.

All of my ear piercings (5 lobes, 3 cartilage) have been with guns, and I lived. I'd still prefer better/safer for my kids.

The girls had theirs done at Claire's. They did not do them simultaneously, but Rebecca didn't flinch and even Sylvia just took a couple of deep breaths. Rebecca has had zero problems with hers. Sylvia had a little bit of crustiness last week, but it's cleared up and not returned. They never had trouble after sleeping in them.

Becca got hers done in March and Sylvia in May. They're still wearing earrings 24/7.

The girls had theirs done at Claire's. They did not do them simultaneously, but Rebecca didn't flinch and even Sylvia just took a couple of deep breaths. Rebecca has had zero problems with hers. Sylvia had a little bit of crustiness last week, but it's cleared up and not returned. They never had trouble after sleeping in them.

Becca got hers done in March and Sylvia in May. They're still wearing earrings 24/7.

This has been our experience, as well. 2 girls, Claire's, no problems.

There ya go!

My dd 12 just got her ears pierced at a hair salon/day spa. Older dd got hers at Claire's, and they were not even- which messed up her 2nd piercing. I figured someone in a salon would have a better eye for symmetry. (They look good to me, but I don't have a good eye!)

The lady in the salon said not to turn the earrings for 2 weeks, and they will heal better. Start turning at 2 weeks. It's fine to change earrings at 3 weeks, as long as you change to good quality earrings.

I am pro-piercer/needle, as opposed to a jewelry salesperson/cashier and gun.

That said, we've been promising to get my 8yo's ears done for months, and can't find a single local piercer willing to touch her. Most of the places I called had to ask other people in the shop b/c they'd never had a child in. I absolutely HATE it, but we may actually take her to the dang mall and just get it over with.

All of my ear piercings (5 lobes, 3 cartilage) have been with guns, and I lived. I'd still prefer better/safer for my kids.

Me too! All the places I called said they will not pierce anyone under 14, even with parental presence/consent. There is one upscale place that specializes in infant piercing, but they are super expensive (like $80 once you factor in the piercing and the earrings). I guess we'll be headed to the mall, too. :(

I vote go to an actual piercing place where they use needles instead of guns.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I'd also recommend looking at fixed bead earrings (the two ends of a loop are pinched into a bead) as starters instead of studs. They're easier to keep clean and there's no worry about backs adhering to the ear.

Here's DD the Elder's (then) new piercing, done by a professional piercer. The entire procedure took only a couple minutes... she said she felt a little pinch in each ear and nothing more.

4230064727_3aaca6fdea.jpg

Go to a professional piercer. I am tired and don't want to type it all out but if you search, there have been many threads about this over the years.

One key difference is that a hollow needle is used and it cuts out a single hole in the ear. The edge is clean and the piercing fits the hole.

The gun quite literally rips a hole in the ear by forcing the stud through it. The wound is jagged and the excess skin dies and falls away.

They will go over meticulous instructions, and explain they dos don'ts and whys. DD was asked to soak her ears in a saline solution we mixed with sea salt and water. She has never had issues with her piercings.

If you decide to have someone use a gun on your daughter, do yourself a favor and at least talk to a professional piercer who would use a needle, so you understand the decision you are making.

I also recommend the hoop with the little ball on the end for the time when the wound is healing. I suggest high quality surgical steel at least, but prefer and recommend titanium. This style of hoop is designed to be easily cleaned, allows air to the wound, and leaves the hole a size that can accommodate a traditional earring later. It doesn't have a butterfly back like a traditional stud, which is known to catch old skin, bacteria and hair. Then get caught on things like blankets and to cause damage/pain for the child. They are comfortable to sleep in and don't poke the neck when she lays on that side.

I personally would never have myself or my children get a piercing with a gun. It can be a bit of a soapbox for me, so I will leave it there. It will be more expensive, likely twice as expensive, but it is a permanent change to a person's body, I would like to think that price (maybe only $20-30 more)wouldn't come before quality on such a permanent decision.

I have four girls, and they all had their first piercings between 4 and 6 months (infants). They all had second (or more) piercings later, between 12 and 16 years. Almost all were done at the mall, and there have never been any problems. I'm sure those places are checked regularly for cleanliness. I would almost feel more comfortable at a mall where they do many piercings in just one day compared to a doctor's office (just guessing, here). Infants and very young children usually have both ears done at exactly the same moment, so that they don't freak out between ears! (Two people will do this then, of course.)

It hurt a little the first day, and then was fine.

One daughter had a cartilage piercing done at a hair salon. That one was more painful for a longer time. I think my daughter couldn't sleep on that side for about a month, or even longer!

We were always very careful about keeping them clean. They usually give you a special cleaning solution when they are pierced. When I had my ears pierced years ago, I just cleaned the area with alcohol twice/day. Alcohol works just as well, although I've heard it can be more drying.

Out of five children (my son has a pierced ear, too) and myself, we've made 12 piercing trips to the mall. (plus two -- nose piercings -- at a tattoo studio, and the cartilage piercing at the hair salon) :) Wow, that sounds like we are piercing-happy family, but we're really quite conservative!

One thing: I always spent time just observing the piercer at work before getting it done. If she marks the place ahead of time, cleans the area well, appears competent, then I'd go ahead. If not -- move on to another place.

Edited by jjhat7
spelling error

Nmoira, tap...., jjhat7 and everyone!

Thanks. Truly, I'm thankful for all of the responses. It sounds like the mall would service our needs from a cleanliness standpoint, but it wasn't until sarah(elisemds1) suggested needles and most of the rest of you agreed.

When my dh and I were courting in college, his birthday gift to me (I think my 19th or 20th) was getting my ears pierced. I do not remember how it was done as it was nearly 35 years ago. :tongue_smilie:

Nmoria, I appreciate the pic....sweet. Tap, thanks for the explanation. I'm reading a recurrent theme of larger than necessary holes in ears with guns and that has me concerned. I really must consider needles and will now do more research.....peds office, salon/spa...any other place?

We will definately use gold....will silver work?

Thanks again, everyone!!!!

PS...Tylenol before the procedure? :001_smile:

Thanks everyone! I'm taking notes for all the finer points. Sarah, needles vs. guns....please explain.

I'm another Sarah, but I'll jump in.:)

Needles are sharp (:tongue_smilie:) and go smoothly through the lobe. Guns jam a pointy stud through the lobe at full speed. Obviously the piercing stud cannot be as sharp as the needle, and duller tools hurt more.

I think you have received a lot of good advice.

Some people mentioned getting good gold earrings for studs. It is possible to be allergic to gold. When I had my ears pierced, they would never heal, so I kept putting in "better" quality gold earings. Around the same time, I had allergy testing done, and I am allergic to gold. Once I used stainless steel earrings, my ears healed fine. I can't wear gold watches, necklaces, braclets, etc. (My husband said he married me, because I would be a cheap wife to have.)

When my daughter had her ears pierced at Claire's, we chose stainless steel studs just in case. Her ears healed fine. However, when she swapped the studs for sterling silver earrings that her grandmother gave her, she developed trouble with bleeding, crusting, etc. We put the studs back in; they healed again, tried the silver ones again with the same result.

Over the years, we have tried it many times, she is fine with stainless steel, but can't wear gold, silver or hypoallergenic.

Just keep this in mind, if she has trouble a few months after the piercing.

My daughter can't do gold, either. We have to use stainless/surgical steel or titanium, which is another reason I opted for a needle joint. Those little ball/hoop earrings are darling, anyway... way cuter than studs and nothing pokes you in the side of the head when you're lying on them!

Not the OP, but thank you for the information!

My dd7 begs to have her ears pierced although I want to wait a bit. I really appreciate the advice for loops instead of studs, she is super sensitive and I was starting to worry, because I cannot imagine her sleeping with studs in (I can't either).

OK Sarah, nmoria, tap... and others,

Are needles best for cartilage AND lobe? My dd will not be getting a cartilage piercing. She'll be getting her little ear lobes pierced....would gun work OK for lobes, or no?

Waiting from y'all to :bigear:

Edited by sheryl

OK Sarah, nmoria, tap... and others,

Are needles best for cartilage AND lobe? My dd will not be getting a cartilage piercing. She'll be getting her little ear lobes pierced....would gun work OK for lobes, or no?

Waiting from y'all to :bigear:

I don't know about cartilage, but Absolutely yes, on the lobe.