Menu

Allergies and the rest of the family

Hi,

How do I deal with this? My youngest, who is only 1 1/2, is already beginning to realize that she is not being offered the same foods and the other kids. She is not happy about this at all. She is allergic to dairy. So what do others do about this situation? I don't see it as an option to not bring dairy into the house. I rely on dairy for calcium and protein for my other kids. What works in your homes? I have found that pizza is the hardest for her. The kids love it and make a lot of comments about how great it tastes. When she hears this and I refuse the pizza for her, she gets upset. I feel badly about doing this to her. What to do?

Do you have a Whole Foods near you? You can find a lot of alternatives there for her.

I make my own pizza/grilled cheese sandwiches with daiya, I get soy cream cheese if I am making cupcakes...one can get earth balance to use instead of butter. I make all meals dairy-free but I am the one who is allergic to dairy and I am the one cooking. :lol:

It isn't very hard to replace things. Since she is still young it is likely that she will grow out of her allergy.

Edited by Sis

Do you have a whole foods near you? You can find a lot of alternatives there for her.

I make my own pizza/grilled cheese sandwiches with daiya, I get soy cream cheese if I am making cupcakes...one can get earth balance to use instead of butter.

It isn't very hard to replace things.

I just want to note something :

Almost all replacements are soy based and not everyone can have soy.

I'm discovering the hard way that I rarely can replace any of my dairy bc soy actually trashes my innards worse than dairy.

I just want to note something :

Almost all replacements are soy based and not everyone can have soy.

I'm discovering the hard way that I rarely can replace any of my dairy bc soy actually trashes my innards worse than dairy.

I buy soy-free earth balance, I use coconut milk and I use coconut milk yogurt.

The sour creams and cream cheese have soy.

The ingredients in Daiya are

Filtered water, tapioca and/or arrowroot flours, non-GMO expeller pressed canola and /or non-GMO expeller pressed safflower oil, coconut oil, pea protein, salt, vegan natural flavors, inactive yeast, vegetable glycerin, xanthan gum, citric acid (for flavor), titanium dioxide (a naturally occurring mineral).

The daiya website says

Free of common allergens including:

Dairy (casein and lactose), soy, gluten, eggs, peanuts and tree nuts (excluding coconut)

Edited by Sis

Hi,

I have found that pizza is the hardest for her. The kids love it and make a lot of comments about how great it tastes. When she hears this and I refuse the pizza for her, she gets upset. I feel badly about doing this to her. What to do?

Make pizza for the baby with soy cheese. Also tell the big kids to stop tormenting their sister. Take their pizza away and refuse to make it for a week if they make a big deal about how yummy it is. Have the house go dairy-free for a week so that they can sympathize with their sister.

My 2 1/2 year old is sensitive to soy protein--barfing and bloody stool if she eats it. I don't buy items with soy protein in them. Before she turned 19 months, she had a similar sensitivity to dairy and I was nursing. It wasn't that difficult to eliminate dairy (I had a 2 and 4 year old at the time)--and it was very difficult to find non-soy alternatives, but even when DH fed the older sibs something with dairy they never rubbed it in my face or the baby's. That's rude and I'd put a stop to it.

Christine

whe i was nursing and my ds had food allergies I just let dh have whatever. but as ds was eating solid food we had to choose how to deal and we chose to do it as a family. Especially since ds has to deal with others eating whatever when out and about.

we have different allergies now and myself am GF, but for the most part the family eats the same things. I do have bread for them. I love making bread but not every day. The kids have snack foods I can't eat but it doesn't bother me.

everything else is made/served so ds and I can eat exactly what dh and dd eat. it took time and practice but we replaced all our meals.

I have a slumber party for dd on Friday that added in more allergens than normal for our crew but I am still making dinner and cake to accommodate every child coming-and every child has a different list!!! it's possible if you try and you can make good foods too.

as for pizza, we didn't eat it often when dairy was a concern. We did soy cheese on occasion. but usually we just avoided that food. we used goat cheese for mexican items with success. my son loved a rice cheese for sliced cheese.

at this point in the house my ds can eat everything on the shelf. there are a few things in the house I can't eat b/c of gluten but I have alternatives on the shelf.

I do allow dd to eat things ds can't have if out to eat or at a friends house. he gets upset but it's not in our home, in front of him daily.

I trained my child not to eat anything (he's got multiple allergies) except what I gave him because when he's outside of the house, I can't watch him every single second. Sometimes, he's with others (at church) and even if you warn the adults, another child might give him something with dairy. Admittedly, it's very hard at 1 1/2 (that's why I didn't send him to Sunday School alone until he was 4), but I started with "That (pizza) will make you feel bad. Only eat what Mom gives you."

I like the suggestion from the previous poster about going dairy-free for a week so that the older kids don't gloat/tempt allergic dc.

My son has lots of allergies and, until he was 3 or 4 he was a very picky eater, so I always just made him a separate meal. As he got older, I decided to always make our dinner meal something that he could have. For one, I was tired of making separate meals, but I also wanted dinner to be something we shared together and I didn't want him to feel left out.

We do not all conform to his dietary restrictions for breakfast or lunch, though. His food is expensive and I don't feel like we could go completely gluten free, everything-free for the whole family, nor do I want to.

My son has always been happy as long as I have a substitute for him that he likes. If we get chinese food, I will make him sweet and sour meatballs. If we order pizza, I will make him a gf one. There is a company called "Amy's" that makes a dairy free pizza that he enjoyed. There are also a few cheese substitutes that he liked when he was dairy free, which at least made his food look like everyone else's even if it didn't taste the same. I have heard good things about the daiya cheese substitute another poster recommended.

Lisa

Edited by LisaTheresa

My dd is dairy allergic, and we have not found it too difficult except that many of the alternatives may contain a small amount of casein or milk products including the soy cheese's we have found. So we get creative. First we let our daughter know why she can't have milk and that it makes her very sick. Then we find something safe but similar as possible. For example pizza for her is a tortilla with bbq sauce and chicken nuggets...she loves it! Ketchup is a great catch all for her and she will put it on her pasta and veggies just for fun. Garlic salt and her butter are used often to make plan food more fun for her. But we are very clear that she cannot eat milk that it makes her very very sick.

When my youngest had a dairy allergy, we mostly went dairy free at mails -- I'm a big believer in everybody eating the same thing, for the most part. We would add cheese to the pizza of those who could eat it, or maybe we would add dairy at the end to other dishes, after taking some out for my youngest, but other than for additions like that, we all ate the same thing. I think that helps. I also taught my son from a young age that his dairy allergy is just the way it is, and he got used to it -- I felt he needed to learn that others can eat stuff that he can't, and he needed to just accept that. He eventually did outgrow his dairy allergy -- sometime between 5 and 6. But he ended up with a tree nut allergy, too, and that he will probably never outgrow. We do keep nuts in the house, but by now, he's used to it and doesn't want to eat them anyhow, because he knows what they do to him. He's really grown up to be very accepting of his tree nut allergy, even if he doesn't like it.

Oh, Amy's (I think that's the brand) makes a pretty tasty dairy free frozen pizza. It doesn't have fake cheese on it -- just no cheese at all, and it's decent. I liked this, because I could just defrost a piece for my son, when the rest of us were eating regular pizza. I would also ask places like Dominoes to just leave the cheese off a portion of whatever pizza we were having. They did this willingly, and I tell ya what, the Dominoes without cheese doesn't taste a whole lot different the the Dominoes with cheese!

Our girls have multiple food allergies. When our oldest was little she did eat wheat but no dairy. Pizza for both her and me was a pizza with no cheese. She loved olives, so it would be red sauce and loaded with olives. Dh ate a regular cheese pizza. I was still nursing and needed to avoid dairy for her. At the same time, it was very important to me that she not feel alone in her own home. When out and about it's unavoidable for others to eat differently, and it can be difficult to not be able to indulge. At home I wanted her to feel as comfortable as possible. I liken it to shaving your own head when someone you love is going through chemo and losing their hair.

Fast forward and our second was more allergic than our first and our first's allergies became worse. The two girls and I eat an identical diet and dh eats, for the most part, the same as us when at home. He's free to eat what he wants when he isn't around us.

Our food is extremely expensive, so I understand your concern. We eat no dairy whatsoever and meet our calcium and protein needs in other ways. I would recommend that if your home is going to be mixed with allergens that the others be told that celebrating the foods that they can eat but your littlest cannot eat is not allowed. It takes a very short period of time of not being able to eat something that others are eating in front of you (never mind gloating over) to make one feel desperate. No one year old should have to take on that emotional load. Either they respect her or they can join her.

Hi,

How do I deal with this? My youngest, who is only 1 1/2, is already beginning to realize that she is not being offered the same foods and the other kids. She is not happy about this at all. She is allergic to dairy. So what do others do about this situation? I don't see it as an option to not bring dairy into the house. I rely on dairy for calcium and protein for my other kids. What works in your homes? I have found that pizza is the hardest for her. The kids love it and make a lot of comments about how great it tastes. When she hears this and I refuse the pizza for her, she gets upset. I feel badly about doing this to her. What to do?

I have had to deal with food allergies with all 4 of my kids. Is the milk allergy newly discovered, or was your youngest allergic to milk as an infant as well. I found that my kids who had infant milk and soy allergies outgrew them by 18 mos. I hope that is the case for your little one as well. Otherwise, I have made just one meal for everyone. DS2 was allergic to wheat during his 2nd year of life, and we all went wheat free for the most part. I just substituted other grains.

Raw milk cheese? Some folks who are allergic to milk find that they're not allergic to raw organic milk.

I have one kid who can't have milk either. He picks off the cheese.

That is more likely a lactose intolerance than a true milk protein allergy.

I considered taking all dairy out of the house when DS1 was allergic to it, but the pediatrician advised against it. DS1 was so allergic that even when I ate a chewable vitaminC, which had lactose in it, he had internal bleeding. How much milk protien could have possibly gotten through my breast milk?

When I was first learning how to deal with dd's GF diet years ago, I read some stuff about dealing with times when a child could not have what everyone else was having. They gave an example of kids bringing cupcakes to school for a birthday. The parents of the special diet kid had given the teacher a stash of Snickers bars, so when that happened he got to have something special too. Turns out the other kids became jealous of the kid with the Snickers!

My point is that on nights when you serve pizza, make something the little one wants more than pizza (healthy, of course). That may not only keep her from wanting pizza, but keep the other kids from making such a fuss.

My kids have various allergies between them: peanuts, tree nuts, gluten, seeds

But it is my DH who eats cheese-free pizza. He just doesn't like cheese (says it is milk's attempt at immortality). Not an allergy. He makes/orders pizza without cheese. It really isn't bad. Just load on the veggies and some ground sausage or burger meat and the italian spices.

Sadly, she's just going to have to learn that there are things other people like that she cannot have. It is not a fun lesson. We still get moodiness about needing gluten-free food for dd.

Sandra

Make pizza for the baby with soy cheese. Also tell the big kids to stop tormenting their sister. Take their pizza away and refuse to make it for a week if they make a big deal about how yummy it is. Have the house go dairy-free for a week so that they can sympathize with their sister.

My 2 1/2 year old is sensitive to soy protein--barfing and bloody stool if she eats it. I don't buy items with soy protein in them. Before she turned 19 months, she had a similar sensitivity to dairy and I was nursing. It wasn't that difficult to eliminate dairy (I had a 2 and 4 year old at the time)--and it was very difficult to find non-soy alternatives, but even when DH fed the older sibs something with dairy they never rubbed it in my face or the baby's. That's rude and I'd put a stop to it.

Christine

Oh! They don't rub it in the baby's face. They just say things like, "wow, this is really yummy. Thanks for making this pizza." But now she understands what they are saying. That is all. I would never allow my children to be rude to one another.

Are soy cheeses any good? Just curious. I am thankful that she can have soy, at least.

I have never seen coconut yogurt. Would I get that at Whole Foods?

I don't know if it is cute or sad. When the 3 others get ice cream in a cone, she gets the cone only. It looks sort of pathetic.

Thanks for the ideas! I will try the soy cheese idea. It just seems so strange.

I have had to deal with food allergies with all 4 of my kids. Is the milk allergy newly discovered, or was your youngest allergic to milk as an infant as well. I found that my kids who had infant milk and soy allergies outgrew them by 18 mos. I hope that is the case for your little one as well. Otherwise, I have made just one meal for everyone. DS2 was allergic to wheat during his 2nd year of life, and we all went wheat free for the most part. I just substituted other grains.

Oooh! I am praying (literally here) that she will outgrow her allergies.

I have not researched allergies at all. What is going on with our children's generation and food allergies? It seems like almost every family I know has a child with some kind of food allergy. When I was growing up, I had never even heard of food allergies. Seriously.

We have been dealing with multiple allergies for my ds for 6 years now. As much as possible, I have tried to make dishes for him that at least looked similar to what we were having. If the dish we had contained noodles and tomatoes, then his had safe noodles and tomatoes. Sometimes, I make two separate (but similar dishes). Sometimes I pull his servings out before I add the allergen food to our portion (with stir fry, I take his out before I add the egg).

If we have pizza, I make a pizza with a crust that is safe for him. At first, I think I used just a safe bread as the crust. Since he is allergic to milk, I tried a vegan rice cheese. He really didn't care for it. At this point, he is able to have wheat again, but still no dairy. He prefers pizza crust with sauce and nothing else. Occasionally, I can put some meat and veggies on as toppings, but most of the time he eats it plain. I also try to use a chunky sauce with veggies hidden in it. As long as he has his pizza, he does not feel like he is missing out. It isn't that much more work, especially if we are doing homemade pizza anyway.

Hang in there. :grouphug: Since she is young, it is much easier than it could be if she were older. My ds now understands that certain foods could make him sick and he would rather do without than try something that could hurt him, no matter how good everyone else says it is.

I have never seen coconut yogurt. Would I get that at Whole Foods?

I don't know if it is cute or sad. When the 3 others get ice cream in a cone, she gets the cone only. It looks sort of pathetic.

Yes, Whole Foods has coconut yogurt. They also have coconut milk ice cream which is quite good. My ds8 is allergic to milk, and he loves the coconut milk ice cream (he liked soy ice cream all right too, but we try to avoid soy for the most part). He wasn't as crazy about the coconut milk yogurt (and it's quite expensive). Wegman's also has the coconut milk ice cream. He likes rice milk ice cream too, and Whole Foods and Wegman's have that as well. There are also a lot of good dairy-free sorbets available, even in regular grocery stores (also Trader Joe's). I hope you can find it and she can get some ice cream on that cone! :001_smile:

Because he's the oldest, ds8 got used to not having everything we had before his siblings came along. But he obviously sees that he can't have what they have all the time. For the most part, I've changed my cooking so that he can eat the same dinner we eat (sometimes leaving out dairy until the end so I can remove a portion for him). I try to limit our meals including dairy to once a week or so and make sure that he has leftovers that he likes or something else that he likes.

It is hard, but once ds8 experienced the results of ingesting milk accidentally, he knows that he really doesn't want to do that again! It does bother him sometimes that he's not eating the same as everyone else, but for the most part, we try to make sure that he has something he likes and is similar to what others are having.

My *EIGHT* month old is already showing his displeasure in this department!

Honestly, we're waiting to start food trials at 10 months. If he still shows signs of not tolerating dairy, we are going to make this a limited-to-dairy-free house. I can't take the constant worry, and there are plenty of ways to ensure proper nutrition without it.

We have tried the coconut milk ice cream also, but it is so expensive. I found a great recipe that uses just coconut milk, sugar, and vanilla. It turns out nice every time. I freeze it in small containers to take with us whenever we go to a birthday party or somewhere there will be ice cream for everyone else. He loves it. I try to make as much as my ice cream freezer will hold and we have coconut milk ice cream that will last us quite a while since he is the only one who eats it. :001_smile:

My dd5 knows nothing other than not being able to eat cow milk or soy. When she does have something, she doesn't feel well, so it's an easy way to reinforce that she can't have some things.

Pizza: I make Focaccia for her. I sprinkle some sheep cheese on it before baking, and let her dip it in marinara sauce to eat it.

Ice cream: Italian ice, fruit sorbet, popsicles all are great substitutes here.

When my olders eat yogurt, she eats applesauce.

Pancakes: I make with juice instead of milk. OJ with a tsp of cinnamon is fabulous!

She prefers to put juice in her cereal.

She spreads bacon fat on her toast. (I make bacon regularly in order to keep the fat on hand for cooking.)

When we go to birthday parties, I always bring homemade brownies to share, as she can't eat the birthday cake.

We have tried the coconut milk ice cream also, but it is so expensive. I found a great recipe that uses just coconut milk, sugar, and vanilla. It turns out nice every time. I freeze it in small containers to take with us whenever we go to a birthday party or somewhere there will be ice cream for everyone else. He loves it. I try to make as much as my ice cream freezer will hold and we have coconut milk ice cream that will last us quite a while since he is the only one who eats it. :001_smile:

Could I get that recipe? Luckily for my baby, she has a mommy that likes to cook and bake. :001_smile: I would really love to try this recipe for her.

Edited by solascriptura
spelling

My oldest is allergic to dairy as well. She does fine on goat and sheet milk products, coconut milk products, and rice milk products. She cannot have soy milk products or almond milk. She is also allergic to mayonaise. Not quite sure why the mayo, but she is. We have been fortunate enough to find yogurts, cheeses, milk, ice creams, etc made from these products that she can enjoy. It is not easy when she is invited out or the youth groups have activities because they usually revolve around pizza. The last event had hot dogs, but the buns had dairy.

Can your dc tolerate butter at all? There are some decent substitutes for that as well.

We bought a bread machine and an ice cream maker. I make our pizza crusts and she uses her goat cheese mozzerella to make her pizza. I make pancakes, cobblers, breads, cookies, ice cream, etc. so I know they are dairy free. It is just a lifestyle change that takes time to adjust.

The last party we went to, they said they were serving cookies for desert. But, when we got there, they served ice cream cones. Yes, dd had an empty cone. She takes it in stride because we do so much to substitute at home.

Could I get that recipe? Luckily for my baby, she has a mommy that likes to cook and bake. :001_smile: I would really love to try this recipe for her.

Here you go.

4 cups coconut milk (full fat) (cream of coconut will not work)

3/4 cup granulated sugar

pinch of salt

1 TBSP vanilla extract

Stir the coconut milk and sugar together until the sugar is dissolved. Add the salt and vanilla and freeze in an electric or hand operated ice cream freezer.

I usually at least double the recipe for this so that my ice cream maker is as full as possible. Enjoy!

I only read some of the response.

Just wanted to share how I handle this.

We did go entirely dairy free-

however,

there are still times when we eat things one of our son's cannot.

Outwardly, loudly enjoying food that makes him sick, that he cannot have is forbidden. It is rude and unloving. I would definitely follow the lose your pizza for a week rule if my kids called attention like to what they were eating.

I always prepare "special" for my son. If we are having something he can't have- he gets what he loves, what is a special treat, "extra" per se.

For example, my dh and three sons just traveled. The two sons and dh got to enjoy subway and BKing. My food allergic son was packed hot dogs (he loves), special pieces of home-made cake, and other good food that he enjoys so that he didn't feel deprived while they were clearly enjoying their takeout.

We are very, very, very clear about food making him sick and why he can't eat it. We are clear with everyone in our family.

I hope this makes sense!

We eat all the same here. It costs a bit more but I don't think nutriently anyone here is deficient. We find food that makes up for whatever nutrient we might be missing out on if it is a concern. My almost 4 year old son has had issues with food for pretty much his whole life. We adapted as a family. My SO is the only one that cheats but he does it at work, away from the house and my 4 year old could care less.

My *EIGHT* month old is already showing his displeasure in this department!

Honestly, we're waiting to start food trials at 10 months. If he still shows signs of not tolerating dairy, we are going to make this a limited-to-dairy-free house. I can't take the constant worry, and there are plenty of ways to ensure proper nutrition without it.

Ds has multiple allergies. At first, I tried going without the major allergens in the house but it was just too much. I didn't feel that the other 2 dc should suffer/be restricted because of the ds' allergies.

So ds has his "space" on the dining table - no one sits in his chair or eats on his side of the table. No food is allowed anywhere (not even popcorn on the sofa) in the house except at the table - that way the allergens are contained. And everyone washes hands after they eat. It's worked now for 9 years.

However, I'm very particular about my kitchen. I keep utensils, his stuff separate from his allergens. I quietly go nuts when dh and other dc want to bake stuff or cook with allergens. They are just not as conscious as I am about opening the refrigerator door/touching stuff with clean hands. So when they're done, I wipe down the kitchen.

Daiya is actually GOOD vegan cheese. We cook with rice milk or coconut milk. The coconut milk yogurt is good, but pricey. We use Smart Balance LIGHT or Blue Bonnet LIGHT for butter.

Our house is 95% dairy free. That's an allergy in 2 of my kids, and an intolerance in the other apparently (just found out). I will let dh keep a couple of items with dairy in the house. The rest of us are totally dairy-free. If the food isn't good enough for me to eat, why am I feeding it to my kids? (Unless it was crazy pricey. I won't eat the coconut milk yogurt for that reason.) However, we also have a more severe peanut allergy here, and that is not allowed in the house, period.

Daiya is actually GOOD vegan cheese. We cook with rice milk or coconut milk. The coconut milk yogurt is good, but pricey. We use Smart Balance LIGHT or Blue Bonnet LIGHT for butter.

Our house is 95% dairy free. That's an allergy in 2 of my kids, and an intolerance in the other apparently (just found out). I will let dh keep a couple of items with dairy in the house. The rest of us are totally dairy-free. If the food isn't good enough for me to eat, why am I feeding it to my kids? (Unless it was crazy pricey. I won't eat the coconut milk yogurt for that reason.) However, we also have a more severe peanut allergy here, and that is not allowed in the house, period.

I am considering just getting a yogurt maker to make yogurt. Coconut milk yogurt *is* very pricey. I hate that the alternatives for allergies are so expensive. I have managed to have coconut milk coupons WHILE coconut milk was on sale and get boxes for $1 each. It does impact one's food budget. :(

I only recently started seeing Daiya in stores, I am really pleased with it so far. It is nice and melty. But at $3.50 a package that is going to have to be a once-in-a-while treat.

My youngest two are sensitive but not allergic to dairy. They can have some things, like some types of cheeses. If possible I save some of the other ingredients and mix those together to give to them. Other times I just give them a small amount of the offensive food and more of other dishes (I know, not a choice for you). Soy is not a choice for us. We tried soy when we discovered that dd was sensitive to dairy. It caused the same problems and I have decided not to try it with ds. DD is old enough that she understands that dairy makes her sick but she is sad when she can't have what the rest of us are eating, especially since they are foods/drinks that she used to enjoy. DS (1.5yo) obviously doesn't understand, but he does get upset sometimes when something is given to other people and not to him. Unfortunately there isn't much we can do about it. We keep milk in the house, but otherwise I try to serve less meals with dairy in them than I used to.

Oooh! I am praying (literally here) that she will outgrow her allergies. .

You do not outgrow an allergy. Your body just adjusts and begins to react different as you grow out of infancy. The allergy is still there though.

I have not researched allergies at all. What is going on with our children's generation and food allergies? It seems like almost every family I know has a child with some kind of food allergy. When I was growing up, I had never even heard of food allergies. Seriously.

Your answer to this question is here..