Menu

Williamsburg - advice, tips, recommendations, warnings?

With the Williamsburg Homeschool days coming up next month, I figured there are probably a number of us that would benefit from any advice we could get from the BTDT crowd.

If we have several days in the area, what are the must-do activities? What should we avoid? Where should we eat? What am I missing?

TIA

We just went for a week in June and had a wonderful time. Here are a few of my thoughts:

Save a day to leave Colonial Williamsburg and visit Jamestown. It was wonderful!

Eat at The Cheese Shop for lunch at least once. Yum!

Know that if you eat at the taverns in the colonial section you will spend a ton of money for not so great food. We went anyway for the experience. Lunch for 5 of us (2 adults and 3 kids) was $125!

Make sure to take time to watch the afternoon reenactments.

The jail, coffeehouse and courthouse were some of our favorite stops. I personally loved the tour of the Governor's Palace.

For a fun treat go to Sweet Frog in the regular part of Williamsburg.

Wear comfortable shoes.

I hope this helps :001_smile:

We went a couple years ago during homeschool week and it was the best vacation ever. We hope to go back again in a few years.

If it's during homeschool week and you actually have several days to spend, get the package deal for the Historic Triangle. We had no idea that each of those places (Jamestown, Yorktown & Williamsburg) were having homeschool week.

We did it ALL and it was ALL worth it. Both of the Yorktown sites, both of the Jamestown sites and Colonial Williamsburg for a couple days. Spent one full day doing both Jamestown sites and then one full day & evening doing both Yorktown sites. We had a blast. The kids got their Jr. Ranger certificates at Yorktown.

At Williamsburg, watch all of the live street performances and reenactments you can. The entire trip was steeped in history and it was fun learning!!! I recommend it for all homeschoolers to do at some point if they can (that is if the Historic Triangle continues to host homeschool week like they did when we were there).

- Definitely go to the Cheese Shop! Order a sandwich with extra "house" dressing on the side to dip it in. Worth the wait. Bathrooms are in the basement.

- Take a short walk off Duke of Gloucester Street (DOG Street to us W&M alums) and walk around the old campus section of William and Mary. Christopher Wren building and the Sunken Garden are neat.

- Jamestown-Yorktown homeschool days are Sept 10-25

http://www.historyisfun.org/homeschool-program.htm

- Other restaurant ideas: Pierce's Pit BBQ (off Rochambeau, I think), Food For Thought, Green Leafe, Second Street

Have fun!

Ha! We are actually going in mid-October for a wedding. But considering we might have already had our first dusting of snow by then, it will probably be a nice break for us!

Elena

By October it will have cooled down some but still warmer than you.

We just went for a week in June and had a wonderful time. Here are a few of my thoughts:

Save a day to leave Colonial Williamsburg and visit Jamestown. It was wonderful!

Eat at The Cheese Shop for lunch at least once. Yum!

Know that if you eat at the taverns in the colonial section you will spend a ton of money for not so great food. We went anyway for the experience. Lunch for 5 of us (2 adults and 3 kids) was $125!

Make sure to take time to watch the afternoon reenactments.

The jail, coffeehouse and courthouse were some of our favorite stops. I personally loved the tour of the Governor's Palace.

For a fun treat go to Sweet Frog in the regular part of Williamsburg.

Wear comfortable shoes.

I hope this helps :001_smile:

Sweet Frog is AWESOME. Sadly I can walk to one from my house which is not good for my waist line.

De be sure to go to Jamestown. It is my favorite part.

If the Dismal Swamp fire is still burning, have a backup plan in mind. My parents say that it's just impossible to be outside when there's a lot of smoke and they've had to give up their daily walks (they are diehard walkers, so this is a big deal for them). My suggestion is to go to Richmond which is about an hour away and do the Civil War museum and the Science Museum. The smoke comes and goes depending on wind patterns, so hopefully you'll be able to enjoy Colonial Williamsburg without a problem, but be aware that you might be smoked out.

I'm looking at the age of your children.

We went last year when our oldest was 8, followed by a 6, 5, 2, and 1 year old. It was pretty miserable. This field trip would have been perfect for us if our children were older. Other than that, they were very bored!

My daughter enjoyed it the most (she was 6), and the boys (the rest of the crew) pretty much had a dull time.

If you are definitely going, I would suggest visiting the plantation as they have lots of hands-on activities. We also did the Mother Goose tour, which the children enjoyed.

As for visiting the different places...they were interesting and the tour guides were great. But my kids were just not ready for it. If your youngest was 8 and you had older kids...I would say perfect!!

But I suppose it depends on your children too! Sorry to put a downer on this for you. I just wish someone would have told me to wait until my kids were a little older. I'm planning on going again in about 4 years, when my kids are older...I'm certain they would enjoy it more then!

This is one of those trips that I would love to take back and save all the money we spent on the hotel, food, and entrance. We would have had more fun at a science museum!

Liz

We live almost close enough to make it a day trip, but I was wondering if anyone could suggest an inexpensive (decent) hotel for an overnighter. We would probably not be going during homeschool days, if that makes a difference. We also have an RV, if there are any good campgrounds close by, but I think I'd prefer to stay in a hotel for just one night.

- Definitely go to the Cheese Shop! Order a sandwich with extra "house" dressing on the side to dip it in. Worth the wait. Bathrooms are in the basement.

- Take a short walk off Duke of Gloucester Street (DOG Street to us W&M alums) and walk around the old campus section of William and Mary.

:iagree:

And my kids always enjoyed the wigmaker (even when they were younger).

We did the Gov. Palace last year and had a good tour.

And yes, it might be really hot. I think it was 96 the day we went last year.

I've stayed at the Country Inn and Suites and had a good experience. You can pm me if you end up going that route. (There are two locations, so I'd want to make sure I recommended the right one.)

It's much cheaper to go during homeschool days if you want to get to go inside the buildings and take the tours.

(But I also agree with an earlier post that if you have little ones, it can be a lot of walking and some of the tours can be too long for them to sit through.)

:iagree:

And my kids always enjoyed the wigmaker (even when they were younger).

We did the Gov. Palace last year and had a good tour.

And yes, it might be really hot. I think it was 96 the day we went last year.

The wigmaker drove me CRAZY because she wouldn't get out of character!!! :tongue_smilie: I just wanted to be able to ask questions, not role play!!

We loved Williamsburg. Favorites were the brickmaker (we mixed the clay with our feet!), the street reenactments, and the Powell House. The Powell House was full of things the kids could do -- work in the kitchen, the garden, with the animals, make a bed, play games, have tea...we loved it there. Go early before it gets crowded.

The food was not good. I wish we had left the 'town' for lunch or brought our own.

My kids were 10 &11 when we went and had just studied American History for two years, so it was perfect for us.

Good luck!

We are going this year from Sept 17-23. We will spend the 17th driving, have a leisurely day in Williamsburg on the 18, then programs at Jamestown on the 19th, programs at Yorktown on the 20th, and programs at Williamsburg on the 21st and 22nd and then drive home on the 23rd.

I bought the 5 day homeschool package that includes Jamestown, Yorktown, and CW. For 2 adults and 1 child (plus some of the extra programs at CW), I only spent about $120. It is a super deal.

I booked everything over the phone. The people at CW and J/Y are very helpful in planning your trip.

Thank you so much for all the advice. I had thought this thread was completely dead with no replies, so thank you to epignone for reviving it!

We have our hotel booked for the 11th-18th so we have quite a lot of time in the area. We are going to go CW, Jamestown, and Yorktown, and I think we'll end with Saturday at Busch Gardens.

Any more suggestions for things to see and do and/or avoid would be great!

My favorite tip:

If you are not opposed to soda, buy the souvenir mug on your first day. $11 seems outrageously expensive, but the key is that refills are then free. Did I mention that it was really hot when we were there? We just shared one mug. There are only a few places where you can refill it (or maybe we didn't find them all). There's a drink stand I think on the road that leads into the Revolutionary area. Also near the capitol building there is an inn that you can go behind to find a snack bar area. If you need more info I can try to find my map.

We had several lunches at the nearby Chipotle restaurant. Not exactly colonial, but my kids love quesadillas.

We went last September during the homeschool days and had a great time. We stayed at the Powhatan Resort for the week. It was great having our own kitchen for our stay. Saved some $$ on dining.

My kids enjoyed the reenactments and the tours of the Governor's Mansion, The Powell House, The Silversmith, The Blacksmith, The Apothecary, and the horse tour we took. After the 3rd historic home tour my kids were of the opinion that if you have seen one historic house you have seen them all. I dragged them through a few more anyway.

We did spring for lunch at one of the Inn's for the experience. It was definitely overpriced and mediocre but the kids really liked it. We also ate at the Golden Corral one night and no food poisoning here.

I wonder if the really cute silversmith apprentice is still there. My dd and I thought he was just as fine as the silver.

I've stayed at the Country Inn and Suites and had a good experience. You can pm me if you end up going that route. (There are two locations, so I'd want to make sure I recommended the right one.)

It's much cheaper to go during homeschool days if you want to get to go inside the buildings and take the tours.

(But I also agree with an earlier post that if you have little ones, it can be a lot of walking and some of the tours can be too long for them to sit through.)

Thanks for the info! I will PM you for the info.

I had wanted to go during homeschool days, but I don't think it's gonna happen this year, so I thought maybe it would be worthwhile to go for a day just to walk around a bit, and get a feel for things, in order to make a plan for a longer visit.

One year when I was a kid, my parents got an annual membership, and we went several times just for the day, even though it was a 3+ hour drive one way. It's been sooo long since I've been (more than 30 years), and I'm sure i don't even have a clue what it's like anymore.

Take a backpack with water and snacks. But do get some gingerbread cakes from the Raleigh Tavern bake shop!

Use the bathrooms when you're close to them, whether you need to or not (says she who has run for bathrooms with small kids).

For the tavern experience, consider lunch instead of dinner. We've done dinner at the King's Arms and lunch at Chowning's, and the lunch was almost as nice but way less expensive.

Last year, they gave the kids little maps that had several places marked; you could get a punch at each place, and when you got three punches, you got a Williamsburg pin.

DD and DH went to the dance experience at the Capitol (Sunday evenings, maybe?) two years in a row and loved it.

At least rent/buy caps for the kids if you don't do costumes -- lots of people will be in costume.

Look for coupons -- one of the bunches of things we got mentioned something about an educator's discount.

The Rockefeller place (name is escaping me right now) is very cool. And the folk museums are amazing as well.

The tour at the Randolph House was particularly excellent one year. Great Hopes Plantation is a lot of fun too (and there are some nice areas around it for photos -- our Christmas card photo last year came from up there).

Make a few hundred stops at the miliner's shop for us! (That's my DD's favorite stop; she went there many, many times the past two years, but we're not able to go this year.)

Historic Jamestowne was neat, though not huge (a couple of hours was plenty). Cool to see the ruins of the original settlement though.

Jamestown Settlement (recreated fort, ships, and Powhatan village) and the Yorktown Victory Center were also very cool. The galleries at Jamestown Settlement are amazing!

Biggest thing about Williamsburg: as soon as you get the brochure, check the open times for the various craftspeople and other buildings. Some are only open for a few hours on certain days, and it's a bummer to realize you missed something just because you didn't notice when it was open. I like to code each building we can see on each day with a particular symbol and then cross them off as we visit.

Have a great time, all of you who are going!

ETA: For the OP, my children were exactly the age of yours last year (and obviously younger the year before), and they had a blast! They LOVE history, though, especially my DD. They liked the craftspeople the best, where they could peruse things and ask questions at their pace. The little boys didn't like the guided tours as much, so a few times, DH and I split up, with one of us going on the guided tour with DD, and the other staying out with the boys. But each of us only missed a couple of buildings total, so it wasn't bad. Look for some books about Williamsburg ahead of time; DD really likes that she can tour the Geddy House after reading the book Mary Geddy's Day, and there is a good series of books about the craftspeople, I think by Bobbie Kalman.

Oh, and it's not stroller-friendly; an Ergo is a great option for babies!

Edited by happypamama

With the Williamsburg Homeschool days coming up next month, I figured there are probably a number of us that would benefit from any advice we could get from the BTDT crowd.

If we have several days in the area, what are the must-do activities? What should we avoid? Where should we eat? What am I missing?

TIA

Well first OH MY GOSH I LIVED IN ZEPHYRHILLS AS A SMALL CHILD. I had cousins in the area. The Dungan family-at least I think that was their last name, we didn't see them often. I was born in Dade city, I lived there as areally small baby then moved and moved back about the time I was one I think until I was 3.

anyway. I live close to Billyburg.

Do you want to see other things? There are other threads that have other information so do a search here about it.

There is Ft Monroe in Hampton, the last moated fort in America, lots of history there. There is the Living Musuem in Newport News, and in Hampton there is Buckroe beach if you want a closer beach to visit.

and Norfolk has a zoo if you need something a bit more for the youngest.

I was going to say "be prepared for it to be hot". Then I noticed you were from Florida, so never mind.

Ha! Yes, I think we're familiar with the heat! :tongue_smilie:

Eat at The Cheese Shop for lunch at least once. Yum!:001_smile:

This was recommended more than once. We'll definitely have to try it.

We went last September during the homeschool days and had a great time. We stayed at the Powhatan Resort for the week. It was great having our own kitchen for our stay. Saved some $$ on dining.

That's where we're staying - very glad to have a kitchen!

ETA: For the OP, my children were exactly the age of yours last year (and obviously younger the year before), and they had a blast!

Thank you for the encouragement. Our kids are really excited, and I think they will have a wonderful time.

Well first OH MY GOSH I LIVED IN ZEPHYRHILLS AS A SMALL CHILD.

Too funny! We've been here for 8 years. I imagine you'd hardly recognize it now. It's grown and changed a lot just in the time we've been here.

I couldn't reply to everyone, but thanks for all the great tips and advice. I feel much better prepared for our trip.

Too funny! We've been here for 8 years. I imagine you'd hardly recognize it now. It's grown and changed a lot just in the time we've been here.

I couldn't reply to everyone, but thanks for all the great tips and advice. I feel much better prepared for our trip.

aw, I have no idea if My family lives there at all now. And no I wouldn't recognize it, the last time I was even there I think I was about 13?

But I love the name allways cool to say.

TIA

I only recommend TONS of water!!!

TIA

I've been getting emails about other museums and historic sites doing 1-3 day homeschool days during the same period. So if there is anything else you've thought of visiting this might be a good time. One that I just learned of is Henricus Historic Park near Richmond.

When we lived in the area and visited a lot I preferred the outdoor terrace dining behind one of the taverns (I think it was King's Arms).

Don't miss Great Hopes Plantation, which is a newer development in the Colonial Williamsburg area and is included in your ticket price. It's more "farm" oriented and ties in to all they talk about in town about the people who live around the town and where the livestock and produce comes from and such. It's more hands on and there are fewer requirements for children to be quiet!

Also last year an excellent, award winning (and relatively inexpensive) Mexican restaurant opened near all of the other hotels and restaurants in the business district. It's called Plaza Azteca and is beautiful, clean and delicious and we received excellent service plus the tableside guacamole was INCREDIBLE and cheap.

If you need a break from strictly historical stuff, the Yorktown riverwalk is charming and lovely and there is even a tiny little beach that you can build sandcastles and wade into the water at.

The jail at CW is a wonderful tour for children and yes, the historical reenactments done in the afternoons (around 3 pm) are perfect for kis. My children loved the one in front of Raleigh tavern about tarring and feathering the best.

My kids also look forward to the Raleigh Tavern bakery more than anything. It's tucked behind the tavern and I was sad to see they have a more "processed" look now with shrink wrapped baked goods. (They used to be in big baskets covered in cheesecloth.) But they sell tavern rolls (like a hunk of soft pretzel.. so good!) and sugar cookies and VERY authentic ham biscuits so if you want an authentic tavern style meal for very little, go to the bakery and get ham biscuits, apple cider and apple pasties. (They also have outrageously good cheesecake in the fall.)

The people who work at the shops can be helpful, but keep an eye out for historical interpreters. They are the best to talk to!! They will be the ones walking around town in full costume often with a chicken, wheelbarrow, etc... If you can get your kids to engage them in conversation they are a wealth of entertainment and info. (They may ask you what you're talking into if you're on your cell phone though, lol.) They are literally paid to "interpret" Williamsburg to visitors, so take advantage!

If you are looking for souvenirs, Tarpley's has a wide array of books, costume pieces and toys for children. The Visitor Center gift shop has a lot of the same items in a less colonial atmosphere, but they also have a clearance section tucked away in the back and we've picked up some treasures there.

Apart from the main restaurant/hotel strip on 60/Richmond Road, there is a new development with a Panera Bread (a Starbucks is .25 mile down across the street and on the same side of the street further down is Target, a grocery store etc...) Here is a link: http://www.newtownwilliamsburg.com/

Being that it's newer, we've found the restaurants to be a little cleaner and, during the week, less crowded than on 60.

Lastly I'll give you my favorite insider tip. Aroma's coffeehouse is a local spot behind Market Square and if you want coffee, awesome baked goods or tapas-style dinner, it is amazing. (It is NOT set up for a large family, but we go multiple times everytime we visit for coffee and cookies.) They have delicious, modern tapas style dinners at a reasonable price in the evening. Nothing fancy, but you can get a portobella pizza or southern shrimp and grits for under 10.00.

Edited by Stacie Leigh

One thing I forgot...

We loved the tour of the Randolph House. The emphasis of that tour was on the life of the slaves of the Randolph family. I was so glad we took that tour; Williamsburg would not have functioned as it did without its slaves. We learned on the tour that over half (52%, if I remember correctly) of Williamsburg's population were slaves. During our visit, there was no mention of slavery on other tours or during the reenactments.

That's where we're staying - very glad to have a kitchen!

We've stayed at Powhatan Resort twice -- it is very nice! Nice to have the kitchen but also the laundry, even for a short trip. If the weather is still warm, the outdoor pools are really nice; I think they do have an indoor pool too, though we haven't tried it. Do bring some toys or movies to keep the kids occupied during the "down time;" I know I was concerned about ours being overly excited and noisy, and possibly disturbing the people above/below us.

One year, they offered us a pretty substantial gift card if we would sit through a timeshare presentation. We didn't have time for it, but it would have been handy.

We've stayed at Powhatan Resort twice -- it is very nice! Nice to have the kitchen but also the laundry, even for a short trip. If the weather is still warm, the outdoor pools are really nice; I think they do have an indoor pool too, though we haven't tried it. Do bring some toys or movies to keep the kids occupied during the "down time;" I know I was concerned about ours being overly excited and noisy, and possibly disturbing the people above/below us.

QUOTE]

Oh, yes, the laundry was very nice. We used both the indoor and outdoor pools when we were there. The outdoor pools are lovely. The indoor pool is, well, a pool. The kids certainly didn't care that it was not as pretty. We met some other homeschoolers there and had quite the pool routine. Start in the outdoor pool. When it got buggy/cold move to the indoor pool.

We like to have one meal at the Old Chickahominy House. :) Only breakfast and lunch are served; we usually do breakfast on the way in to the historic district.

I've never done homeschool days at Williamsburg so I can't comment on that. I can only say that when we go, I make it a point not to hurry us from place to place. We casually stroll along, looking at the things that we think are interesting and staying as long as anyone cares, not loitering where no one is interested.

I love the Governor's Mansion. And the movie at the visitor's center. Other than those, we just enjoy everything else as the spirit moves. :)