Menu

Poll: One space or two

Do you use one space or two after a period?  

1. 1. Do you use one space or two after a period?

• one space
    • two spaces
    • other

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I learned two spaces when I took typing in high school (on a typewriter). I switched to one space when I took journalism at my university. That was 20 years ago, which doesn't exactly make it a "new" standard for publishing.

Edited by WordGirl

I put other. :)

I learned to put 2 spaces in my typing class about 40 (gasp) years ago. I learned the error of my ways a few months ago from someone on this board. I've been trying to break myself of the habit ever since, but it's hard! I'll see if I can find the thread...

In the meantime, here's an article. Slate

What I learned was that the rule was changed once computers became the standard. This is because on a typewriter letters all have the same width. Now, however, most fonts will vary the width of the letter due to the letter. For example, "m" takes up more space than "n". Of course, there are exceptions, like Courier, which are intended to be monospaced. (And way easier to make word searches out of.)

I have typed for one doctor who prefers his reports to be two spaces after the period, but I would just use one and then change it using the find/replace feature of word. Anyone else I've typed for either didn't care or wanted just one.

2. It is a habit from when I learned typing many, many... umm and many.... years ago. While I realise that modern word processing renders the double space unnecessary, that does not lessen my kinesthetic compulsion to put it there.

2. It is a habit from when I learned typing many, many... umm and many.... years ago. While I realise that modern word processing renders the double space unnecessary, that does not lessen my kinesthetic compulsion to put it there.

And you probably don't get paid for how fast you type. :D

In the transcription field, I get paid 9 cents for every 65 characters I type, not including spaces. That extra space costs me money!

According to APA guidelines it's two spaces.

I think that has changed.

APA

The Mechanics of Style

Spacing (4.01). APA suggests using one space after periods ending sentences. If you are writing a draft of a manuscript, you may use two spaces, depending on your publisher's guidelines.

Two. Definitely.

I know what the new rule is and I do.not.like.it. It looks *dumb* to me to see one space at the end of a sentence - and I do.not.like that some sites remove the extra space. :glare: When I am editing copy for the church bulletin (which includes fitting the item in the allotted space, with the desired font, etc.), I always stick the extra space in.

Hard to teach an old dog new tricks, as they say, so for me, it's: one space following commas, semi-colons, and periods at the end of abbreviations ([including titles, e.g., Mrs., Mr.] unless that abbreviated word also concludes the sentence); two spaces following a colon and a period at the end of a sentence. :)

I think that has changed.

APA

Actually, it hasn't. I have the newest APA manual right now and am in master's level college classes. It is two spaces per all of my professors one of whom edited the APA manual.

edited to add: APA stands behind the two spaces rule but allows only 1 space, except manuscripts will be returned and papers counted off if only 1 space is used (per my professor's recommendation and my experience)

Edited by Mosaicmind

Actually, it hasn't. I have the newest APA manual right now and am in master's level college classes. It is two spaces per all of my professors one of whom edited the APA manual.

[Edited to add] edited to add: APA stands behind the two spaces rule but allows only 1 space, except manuscripts will be returned and papers counted off if only 1 space is used (per my professor's recommendation and my experience)

:lurk5:

Style Guide Smackdown... who will prevail? Can hardly wait for the MLA folks to weigh in.

Edited by nmoira

:lurk5:

Style Guide Smackdown... who will prevail? Can hardly wait for the MLA folks to weigh in.

:lol::lol::lol: I did edit my post because 1 is allowed but not preferred and professors and professionals in my field will count it against you. UGH!!! I used MLA when I did my English classes but don't remember what the rule was but I always have used two spaces and never was corrected, so don't know.

:lol::lol::lol: I did edit my post because 1 is allowed but not preferred and professors and professionals in my field will count it against you. UGH!!! I used MLA when I did my English classes but don't remember what the rule was but I always have used two spaces and never was corrected, so don't know.
I love style guide nerds... seriously... :001_smile:

Ugh, this is one of my biggest pet peeves as an editor. One space. One. What do you read nowadays that includes two spaces after periods? Newspapers? Books of any kind? Online communications? Magazines--even scholarly ones?

This is an old rule that dates back to typesetting days and should have gone by the wayside loooong ago. It is no longer necessary and instead causes the majority of readers to stumble and pause unnecessarily after every sentence.

PET. PEEVE. Regardless of what the APA style dictates (sorry MM :tongue_smilie:)!

Edited by melissel

According to APA guidelines it's two spaces.

According to AP Style and the Chicago Manual of Style, it's one. APA recommends two for drafts. ALA says one unless told otherwise but also says there's technically nothing wrong with putting two. I think the extra space looks wrong, but I work in publishing where one space is the standard no matter what style guide is used.

I was taught 2 spaces and usually type in the old standard... however, I'm in the process of switching over to the new standard. :D

Same here.

I voted Other. I learned typing with two spaces. I know I should be typing just one. I don't think I can slow down enough to retrain myself, so I'm glad the computer will do it for me.

I was taught 2 spaces and usually type in the old standard... however, I'm in the process of switching over to the new standard. :D

Here's the thing, as I understand it: Two spaces after a period was standard in the old days of typewriters with fixed spacing. Nowadays, though, most fonts adjust automatically. So, we just need one space.

Alright, because I'm feeling lazy and don't feel like looking it up, why was two spaces standard on a typewriter? I get that the letters were all the same size, but what does that have to do with anything?

By the way, I usually do two spaces, although I've found that I don't do it if I'm in a hurry and not using proper grammar and/or spelling (texting, chatting, etc).

And I was taught two spaces in the early 90's when I was in middle/high school. So it may be 'out-dated' but not that much!

Ditto. Using two spaces messes up formatting on my blog, so I'm working hard to overcome the habit. I took typing in the mid-70s, so it's been a long time.

Two after a period because when I took typing that was the standard. That dates me, I'm sure. I took that class in high school in 1980.

:iagree:

Remember those big electric typewriters we learned on? Those were the days. My Dad wanted me to take typing because it was a skill I could always fall back on. :lol: Little did he know the computer age was about to hit in a big way!