Menu

Have you ever had a conversation that was so stressful it left you ill?

What did you do to in the short term to counter the emotional and/or physical effects?

I had a conversation with a family member about some issues with family/family business that have been brewing for the past 15 years. There was no outward animosity between the two of us during the conversation, but there will probably be family repercussions, and I feel sick. :001_unsure: It's probably better that things have finally been discussed, but now I need a drink. Except that I don't drink. :001_huh:

Any alternatives to help with the sick feeling?

What did you do to in the short term to counter the emotional and/or physical effects?

I had a conversation with a family member about some issues with family/family business that have been brewing for the past 15 years. There was no outward animosity between the two of us during the conversation, but there will probably be family repercussions, and I feel sick. :001_unsure: It's probably better that things have finally been discussed, but now I need a drink. Except that I don't drink. :001_huh:

Calm deep breathing, warm caffeine free beverage, and an enjoyable activity: reading, movie, puzzles, whatever. Take your mind off it for a little while. Time heels the sick feeling. Sorry :grouphug:

I lift my mind off the topic and consciously put it onto another one. For something that stressful, it almost feels like moving a palpable weight.

Usually the 'other one' is either something I want to make (design always distracts me, and in a good way) or a beloved place that I imagine, like my favorite river in the Sierras.

Chamomile tea has a calming effect.

Also, dim the lights, it helps you relax.

A warm bath can get the tension out of your muscles.

Listening to music that does not have any connection with the conversation can help.

If you are up to it, watch a funny movie, even though right now you don't feel like laughing.

:grouphug: This will pass. HTH.

I get in the car, crank up the music, and drive till I feel better. I can yell, I can talk to myself, I can cry, I can pull into an empty parking lot and close my eyes and meditate... whatever it takes to get away from the ugly feeling. If I don't get out of the house and let it all out, I start cleaning the house like a fiend and nobody wants to be around me when that happens, because I tend to purge...

Um, yeah. Two years worth in court with ex. I ended up on anti-anxiety meds after the first year, and still spent most of the second year in bed.

Benadryl to sleep at night, long walks, music through headphones around my neck all day, Sudoku and crossword puzzles to keep my mind from spinning on it 24/7. It's been a year since the decision and I'm still not better.

Good luck!

go for a walk.

Yes, I've had those conversations. With family, my relationship was severed with my sister. Her choice. I ONLY asked for a PEACEFUL relationship. She couldn't do that. She fights with EVERYONE in her life.

With a friend once, dh INSISTED that I end the friendship. He's only done this once and I complied. I'm SO thankful for my wise dh.;)

I hope you feel better soon.

seems to always be a family member. I actually left town after my mother's memorial because of the stress. I made the mistake of checking my e-mail and reading one from the very troublesome sibling. dh actually ended up telling me to just not talk to him, read anything from him, etc. and that he'd handle the jerk.

In the meantime . . . I prayed, I soaked in the hot tub, I lounged in front of the fire (it was january), and just tried to decompress. (ate chocolate . . . )

When I was 6 wks pregnant with my last child, my sister called and gave me all the reasons I should have an abortion. (I was 42 and overweight.) She read statistics and basically beat me over the head with information..that I already knew...for half an hour. Then my mom called as sis had called her and gotten mom all excited about things. I was so upset that I stayed in bed for two days. Thought I was over all that when I got a package from sister--yes, she sent me all the articles she'd referenced, even though I told her I was having the baby no matter what. Spent another day in bed so I wouldn't vomit every 10 minutes.

I try to escape in a book (fiction) when things like that happen. I do better if my mind is occupied.

Every one of these ideas are wonderful. In the end, I turned on one of my favorite frivolous movies, The Last Holiday, with Queen Latifah. It helped so much. Thank you to those of you who suggested an upbeat movie. It got me through the rest of my afternoon/evening work.

I'm feeling better, but I'm still left with terrible indigestion. Dinner just isn't sitting right at all. Maybe an antacid and then bed, because it's very late now (after midnight).

Good night, all, and *thanks again*. It never fails to amaze me that my "virtual friends" (sorry, but none of you are really real, because it seems silly to claim friendship with folks I've never met :D) are always there with a word of encouragement at the right moment. It doesn't generally seem to be so in the real world. At least, not the one I'm currently living in. :001_huh:

It never fails to amaze me that my "virtual friends" (sorry, but none of you are really real, because it seems silly to claim friendship with folks I've never met :D) are always there with a word of encouragement at the right moment. It doesn't generally seem to be so in the real world. At least, not the one I'm currently living in. :001_huh:

:grouphug: I'm guessing this has to do with your husband's family, and I hope it "all comes out in the wash" as my mother often said.

:grouphug: I'm guessing this has to do with your husband's family, and I hope it "all comes out in the wash" as my mother often said.

Thank you. I can't even articulate how much your kindness has helped my heart today. I'm just so very, very tired in some ways. I want to hide from the world right now, and each day bedtime cannot come soon enough, kwim?

I just keep thinking, "Do I need this??".

Edited by Julie in CA

I take a long walk alone if it happens during the day. And in the evening I take a warm bath and drink some warm milk with honey and a sprinkle of nutmeg. Prayer and scriptures. If it's not inappropriate I might call my Mom and have a good cry with her over the phone. She's very therapeutic.

I hope you feel better soon. And I hope your family stuff gets sorted and settles out ok. :grouphug: