Menu

I want my laundry to smell good!!!

I've been making our own laundry detergent for over a year. Love the process, love that it works perfectly, love the price! But hate that our laundry does not have any good smell to it, you know that "Bouncey" fresh smell. The laundry is clean, doesn't smell BAD, but just does not have any scent at all really.

I add essential oils to our detergent, Tea Tree, Geranium and Lavender. The detergent itself smells wonderful. But that smell does not transfer to the laundry.

I know "smelly" laundry detergents have chemicals in them, even when we bought detergent we bought All Free and Clear.

I know that Bounce sheets are supposed to be bad for a dryer...I forget "why" now though.

I bought these little bags of dried lavender that were sold as "dryer fresheners" at the local "Crunchy" store. They were kind of expensive, about $5 for 4 bags, but I figured I could re-use them. They did make the clothes smell good on the first use, and even though again the bags still smelled good, after the first time, it did nothing for the clothes.

So any suggestions for me if you are on the crunchy-side of life? How can I get that fresh smell for my laundry? Do I have to break down and buy dryer sheets?

How about a homemade dryer sheet of some sort? Perhaps a square of fleece or flannel that you add a few drops of your favorite essential oil to before throwing it into the dryer. Not sure it if would work or if you would risk oil stains from that though.

I understand!!

We used Soap Nuts for a long time and both DH and I noted that while our clothes were never dirty, they just didn't smell "nice", either. But we didn't think the smell mattered because we liked the price and how no chemicals were involved.

But at some point my mom came to visit and help out while I had some medical stuff going on, and she went grocery shopping for me and bought (in her words) "normal detergent". And our laundry smelled sooooo nice the whole time she was here. When she left, I just kept using it and never went back to the Soap Nuts.

All that to say, if you find a way, do share! :D

Do you like the smell of cedar? My mother keeps little cedar stick thingamajigs in her dresser… sometimes changed out for potpourri packet whatsits. Her clothes smell like wood, flowers, cinnamon, etc.

Me, I just use bounce. [various brands/smells depending on my mood] I've never heard of it being bad for dryers…wouldn't that be sorta weird, since that's what it's made for?

Could you put a few drops of an essential oil on a paper towel or cloth and run in the dryer?

The sachet idea is the best. You can make them with cedar, flower petals, essential oils.... even bars of soap wrapped in cheesecloth or something that allows smell to move around but soap not lay on the clothing

I have had this very same expereince?? We stopped using "reg. detergent" and noticed out clothes didn't smell nice either...and have gone back to using Tide or whatever...but would also love to know a better way. Oh, I did try various dryer sheets thinking that would help...didn't help in my home...I was bummed. It is totally the detergent. Sigh!!!

After a year of using homemade detergent I was unhappy with the lack of 'clean' smell and then the lack of clean clothes! Whites were turning dingy an gray. Towels didn't smell fresh. I caved and bought the smell-free detergend from Costco (Kirkland brand). Then I really felt like the OP. I was missing the fresh laundry smell of years ago. So I bought a Tide!! Gasp!!! The smell was too chemically for me, but I'm still using it till it's done. I might try a different kind, but I won't go back to the homemade. No smell and not clean enough. Sorry I couldn't help you, but I just wanted you to know that I've gone through this too and I ended up going back to commercial brands.

I make my own and I used Castile soap(orange bar) and even that did not give a smell. I make a 5 gallon bucket and dump in one small bottle of tide to keep it from getting glumpy if you know what I mean. I have found that just a TINY bit of Mrs. Meyers fabric softener goes a really long way so you may try just a dash of that?

I know "smelly" laundry detergents have chemicals in them, even when we bought detergent we bought All Free and Clear.

That homemade stuff you use has chemicals in it, too. Water is a chemical. :)

I found that over time our homemade soap didn't clean the clothes as well as the store-bought stuff, no matter which recipe I tried. Eventually we switched back to buying detergent for this reason.

I use an fragrance free Seventh Generation liquid, but have tried other crunchy brands as well. They all do a good job of getting clothes clean without leaving a fake-y smell on the clothes.

:rant:

I have a bugaboo about all those awful smells... it doesn't matter where you go, people are Glade-ing/Febreezing themselves to death. DS's friend will sometimes leave a shirt or other something when he sleeps over, and the things smell so strongly of laundry soap that DS's room is filled with it. Even when I wash the item, as I walk by when it's drying on the line, I will get a whiff of it from 4 feet away! What the heck are they putting in that stuff that it last even through a washing?? No thanks. I'll take clean, fresh, natural smell over fake any day.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm sick of being assaulted by other people's products (and I'm not talking about perfume). Honestly, I think we're so over-scented that manufactures need to keep upping the "dose" because people are either habituating to it or they're trying to stand out among all the other smells. And we wonder why there are so many skin and sinus allergies!

OP, if you want a little scent in your laundry, could you try adding some lavender or rose water to the wash? I've seen that sold at health food stores. It might leave a nice scent without being too overpowering.

Me, I just use bounce. [various brands/smells depending on my mood] I've never heard of it being bad for dryers…wouldn't that be sorta weird, since that's what it's made for?

Ummm, not really. That is the way of the world these days. Lots of things that are "bad" are not labeled as such. Manufacturers don't really care, as long as they make the $$$. The Government, well, let's just say you can't rely on them to make the best decisions in most aspects of life, especially when it comes to "consumer care" issues.

Most commercial body products are not "good" for you. Make-up which is supposed to enhance you, has carcinogens, which I know at least one state, I think Minnesota actually made into law to change that. Just a few examples. So no, the fact that dryer sheets are not actually good for the dryer is not suprising :). A quick Google search should show you any details, if ya have questions.

Umm, huh??!? I am not using tap water.

All water is a chemical. Any liquid soap is a chemical. She's protesting your use of the word chemical to mean something bad. Good things can also be chemicals. Chemical: A substance with a distinct molecular composition that is produced by or used in a chemical process.

I made some wool (wool yarn felted) dryer balls. I put about 5 drops of EO right on the ball and throw them in the dryer. The smell lasts a few cycles, and the balls help dry your clothes quicker. A small scrap of flannel would work too.

You can also hang your clothes up and spritz them with white vinegar and EOs. Although the sun gives them a nice scent.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I actually didn't think about using other organic Fabric softeners, perhaps Mrs. Meyers brand.

I might try that, before heading back to mainstream:D.

thanks!!

If you just want the scent, add vinegar and a few drops of essential oils to your softener dispenser (or however you'd add softener to your machine). If you want to premix it in a container, add a drop of soap. It won't be enough to re-suds your laundry, but will disperse the oils.

(eta: I love Mrs. M's softener, though)

I make my own and I used Castile soap(orange bar) and even that did not give a smell. I make a 5 gallon bucket and dump in one small bottle of tide to keep it from getting glumpy if you know what I mean. I have found that just a TINY bit of Mrs. Meyers fabric softener goes a really long way so you may try just a dash of that?

That is a very good idea!

I also liked using the homemade laundry detergent...until my whites starting turning dingy. That made me wonder if the colored items weren't getting as clean as I thought they were so I went back to Tide. I love the smell and I love Downey, too. So there. :D

All water is a chemical. Any liquid soap is a chemical. She's protesting your use of the word chemical to mean something bad. Good things can also be chemicals. Chemical: A substance with a distinct molecular composition that is produced by or used in a chemical process.

I get what both of you mean by chemicals.

yep it is all chemical even water no mater where you get it,

but I can no longer handle the chemical smells that make up the scents in cleaning products. It makes me feel yucky.

BUT I can handle the more natural essential oil type stuff

I get a big package of dryer sheets from a warehouse store (BJ'S) and cut them in half. It works just as well as the whole thing. I do not make homemade soap though. I have always wanted to give it a shot. As far as dryer sheets being bad for the dryer...my dryer is 10 years old and no problems.

Edited by tmulcahy
more info

I buy Ecos Magnolia and Lily scent detergent; it has a nice smell, but you only smell it as you fold, not 3 rooms away. MyMIL uses Tide, and it irritates my skin and gives me a headache. Hate the stuff! :D

We use this too. Costco carries it. Ecos and line drying makes our clothes smell great IMHO.

I mix Gain with my Fels-Naptha homemade soap to give it a clean smell. I just like that smell of fresh laundry so I use a bit of both. Maybe it will kill me half as fast - just kidding.

I have been known to pour some fabric softener into a sock and throw it in with a load of clothes in the dryer. Makes the clothes smell good. Dryer hasn't died yet nor caught on fire. Don't do it with pricey or one-of-a-kind clothes though since there is an outside chance of a softener stain though it hasn't happened to me (yet).

You could add liquid fabric softener to the rinse water. I do that with dh's work clothes. I can't use scented detergent, because I'm highly allergic, so I use unscented bounce for my clothes.

One detergent that has a wonderful lavender scent that does last is Trader Joe's liquid detergent. I'm not allergic to it either. I just have to pay more for it.

Thank you.

Hang your laundry outside to dry. That will give it a wonderful scent (unless you live in a town with a paper factory!). Even when we are low on time, we still hang the sheets to dry - heaven.

There is nothing that smells better. Also, adding white vinegar to the rinse will give your clothes a good smell. It will take out moldy smells, too.

I have not read all the replies, but the best way in my opinion is to dry your laundry in the sun. The UV light kills bacteria that give clothes an odor. Putting clothes in a drier is considered unhygienic here by many people.

Ruth in NZ

Hang your laundry outside to dry. That will give it a wonderful scent (unless you live in a town with a paper factory!). Even when we are low on time, we still hang the sheets to dry - heaven.

My favorite recipe for awesome smelling clothes and sheets!! We have 3 in the family (including) me who have grass and pollen allergies (and I cannot tolerate even the most highly touted no-drowsy meds, either). It is still worth it. :) World's best scent, and saves on the electric bill like crazy.

One of the best scams of all time was the big "scare" generated when someone warned that people's drinks had been contaminated by di-hydrogen-oxide. Oh, the uproar and fury!! ROFL.

Okay, back to the laundry thread.

I have not read all the replies, but the best way in my opinion is to dry your laundry in the sun. The UV light kills bacteria that give clothes an odor. Putting clothes in a drier is considered unhygienic here by many people.

Ruth in NZ

I wish I could do that. But we all have pollen allergies, and here in Florida there is always pollen of some sort. I think if I put my clothes outside I'd have a sinus headache all the time!