Menu

Tanks/camis with shelf bras....what is the point?

For some reason, companies make maternity t-shirts so thin that you can pretty much see through them. So I found a few on sale and bought them, then realized I'd need something underneath. So I bought a camisole with a shelf bra so that I wouldn't have to wear a bra, a camisole, and a shirt in this hot Florida weather. Well.....the shelf bra does nothing! And I'm not a big chested girl either....actually, small chested would be a good way to describe me. Just one step away from being flat as a board. The shelf bras provide no...ummm...."headlight" protection. If I'm cold, the world knows it! :001_huh: So what in the world is the shelf bra for?? Now I'm still having to wear a bra, camisole, and shirt.

I don't wear a bra underneath one, usually. My "temperature gauges" still reflect the ambient temperature, but I don't care about that. What I care about is that the gauges not going to be hurt accidentally because there's that extra layer of fabric there. It keeps them constricted, even at full salute.

I usually wear these around the house, though, where these types of accidents are prone to happen. I can't tell you how many times my kids have accidentally swiped with an elbow -or worse, laid atop of- my gauges. Ouch.

Occasionally I'll wear a bra under one and use the cami as an undershirt for a more see-through blouse. I still like the shelf tank beacuse it keeps my breasts sort of .... I don't know, shaped, I guess ... as opposed to a spaghetti-strapped tank top that doesn't give much shape or form to my body. Certain times of the month the bloat sticks out almost as far as do the boobs, and ... well, I prefer to distinguish the two!

I wear them without a bra to bed as PJs, but if I am wearing them as clothing (even under another shirt), I wear a bra also.

I bought two last year and now wear them as pajamas. Me without a bra is just not pretty. I'm not very big but they definitely need a good lift and padding to look nice.

Shelf bras are ridiculous. The headlights are always visible and, unless you've had the girls upgraded, a shelf bra inevitably creates a seriously unattractive uni-boob situation.

:iagree:

Or, on the other end of the uni-boob is the invisi-boob.

There is someone in my life who insists on wearing only a WHITE cami with shelf bra all summer long. Seriously, she might as well be topless. :blink: I know she doesn't care, but I think the rest of us do.

Wait a minute.

Am I supposed to wear enough clothing to make sure no one knows if my n!pples get h@rd?

Is that a Miss Manners rule or something?

:confused:

What is going on with this board?

I suspect this is an American thing...presumably why most bras here are padded, even for those who hardly need it. I have no problem with it.

The uniboob phenomenon on the other hand, that's just annoying.

Wait a minute.

Am I supposed to wear enough clothing to make sure no one knows if my n!pples get h@rd?

My theories.

Nipples look like buttons. Men like to press buttons, especially ones mounted on breasts.

Nipples look like eyes. People find it spooky the way you can move around a room and the nipples seem to follow you.

Nipples get erect. Penises get erect. People think of nipples as mini-penises.

There is someone in my life who insists on wearing only a WHITE cami with shelf bra all summer long. Seriously, she might as well be topless. :blink: I know she doesn't care, but I think the rest of us do.

Is it me? :lol: I wear one all summer, but only in my own home/yard, or maybe to the grandparents' to pick up the kids. Going in public, I put a t-shirt over it. If you happened to drive by and saw my "headlights" from the street, I apologize. But gosh darn it, it's too HOT to wear many clothes!

My theories.

Nipples look like buttons. Men like to press buttons, especially ones mounted on breasts.

Nipples look like eyes. People find it spooky the way you can move around a room and the nipples seem to follow you.

yeah, yeah, yeah, buttons blah-blah, haunted nipple paintings that seem to follow you with their nipples around the room, blahcetera...:lol:

I concur.

Am I really 'supposed' to wear enough layers so my nipples are not noticable when they get hard?

ETA a smiley so you know I am laughing as I write this.

Edited by unsinkable

My theories.

:lol: Love this!

I suspect this is an American thing...presumably why most bras here are padded, even for those who hardly need it. I have no problem with it.

The uniboob phenomenon on the other hand, that's just annoying.

Thanks for not having a problem with it. :D Cuz unless I am wearing a parka, there's a chance they might actually...act like nipples!

Huh. I never thought about the padded bra aspect. It is hard to find bras without padding.

I am very small and can't wear the shelf bras. They are pointless. They don't fit tightly enough under my chest to act as any kind of shelf and the nipples showing bothers me a lot. I've tried going without but cold, warm, or hot, they are prominent. Men notice. It is obvious and makes me uncomfortable.

My ex-MIL was a very chaste person, but from India, and wore kuttar salwars, no saris for her. However, it was if she had nails in the front. Not a big deal to them, evidently.

I usually wear a cami under a button-up shirt. Those crazy shelf bras are never deep enough, nor positioned right for me. I always end up with a super cleavage showing, which kind of defeats the purpose of wearing the cami to begin with!

It's frustrating to find one *exactly* the right color I need, only to see it has one of those built-ins. I have been known to just trim 'em out.

Yoga capri pants and cute camis are what is for bedtime!

And yeah to Dawn. Natural breasts are great (although I am not against upgrades ;)) , but one might not want them to peek out at the waist at Target. I would think there are many who want support without the constriction of wire.

Edited by LibraryLover

For some reason, companies make maternity t-shirts so thin that you can pretty much see through them. .

I was at Talbot's last night (didn't buy anything, even though everything was 50% off the last price . . .), every top was pretty much thin enough you could see through it . . . .

no thanks. not only were they unacceptably thin, they'd probably have to be replaced after only a few wearings as they wouldn't hold up.

I was at Talbot's last night (didn't buy anything, even though everything was 50% off the last price . . .), every top was pretty much thin enough you could see through it . . . .

no thanks. not only were they unacceptably thin, they'd probably have to be replaced after only a few wearings as they wouldn't hold up.

This seems to be everywhere now, and it's driving me NUTS! I have such a hard time finding t-shirts for my DD8 that you cannot see through. Why would I put my 8-year-old in translucent tops?! They're so-called layering weight tops, but IMO, it's just a cost-saving measure. I can't wait for cooler weather so I can buy darker tops so I don't have to worry about it.

Wait a minute.

I don't know what tone you're using here but its funny no matter how you say it.