Menu

Sport Vent...

Why, in the name of all that is holy, do sports organizations require a copy of your child's birth certificate?

Good gravy even the state doesn't require a copy of your BC for driving. They just want to see it! Driving lasts a lot longer than a sports season.

I refuse to hand over a copy of that document just to play a sport. They can see it, I can bring it for them to look at, they will not have a copy floating around where I can't keep tabs on it.

Maybe I will make a copy and block out all but her name and birth date. It is still a copy!

Grrrr...this is just a pet peeve of mine, I feel it is invasive.

ETA: This is for Cross Country track... not LL or football :) Although the league does do basketball, softball, soccer, volleyball and baseball. They may do more but that is off teh top of my head. So do they really need it for track??

Edited by Mynyel

since the BC doesn't have a social security number.

I think they like to keep the on file in case there is a challenge to the child's age. If team A claims a member of team B is over age, it's not going to work well to say, "Well, someone must have looked at his BC at some point." They want it on file so that this can be verified. The coach might need to see it, but then the state organization may need to as well. My children's BCs are on file with the national and state organizations that govern swimming and tennis. I've only every had to produce each BC once.

But everyone makes choices, so not giving a BC seems like a very reasonable choice if it bothers you. Maybe a different sport that isn't age dependent would be a better match.

Because people cheat. Even at little league. And when questions come up, the league has proof.

It doesn't bother me.

:iagree: leagues are required to keep proof of age for their players.

The state requires ID to apply for a DL or state issued ID. For a minor, that would be a birth certificate or passport. Once that has been shown, the state issues their own ID that certifies one's identity and age. The two aren't comparable by the same standard.

:iagree: leagues are required to keep proof of age for their players.

The state requires ID to apply for a DL or state issued ID. For a minor, that would be a birth certificate or passport. Once that has been shown, the state issues their own ID that certifies one's identity and age. The two aren't comparable by the same standard.

But the state does not keep a copy on file somewhere. Once the proof of age/citizenship is produced the owner of the paperwork is to keep the paperwork.

I agree with HSLover, that is not something one wants floating around just anywhere. No, it isn't a SSN, but it is the next best thing. Especially for proof of citizenship since an SSN does not prove citizenship.

If a league wants to keep proof, they can have a copy of a school ID.

But if one is not playing outside the league, there is no need for anyone to keep paperwork. How often does it happen that one plays outside one's league?

Edited by Parrothead

But the state does not keep a copy on file somewhere. Once the proof of age/citizenship is produced the owner of the paperwork is to keep the paperwork.

No, the state issues an alternate document which is, in itself, proof.

Local sports leagues are required to keep proof of their players' ages. They are not endowed with the ability to issue their own proof.

And, fwiw, school ID would not work for this purpose here because they only provide documentation of enrollment, not proof of age. So, if my 10yo had a school ID they could see she is in 6th grade, but still wouldn't know that she meets the eligibility requirements for the U11 team in the spring. Know what I mean?

Edited by MyCrazyHouse

I agree with HSLover, that is not something one wants floating around just anywhere. No, it isn't a SSN, but it is the next best thing. Especially for proof of citizenship since an SSN does not prove citizenship.

If a league wants to keep proof, they can have a copy of a school ID.

But if one is not playing outside the league, there is no need for anyone to keep paperwork. How often does it happen that one plays outside one's league?

Here the state doesn't keep a copy of documents for a drivers license because all documents must be originals. Rather than require people to get multiple originals with raised stamps and official signatures, they accept viewing the original documents and then allow the applicant to keep them since an official record is kept that these were viewed and their own identification is issued.

My dd didn't get a school id until junior high and it doesn't say anything about age. Kids jump ahead, kids stay back so there can be a wide variation in how old a 3rd grader is.

Hasn't this come up in the past with Little League where they found a kid was using his cousins birth certificate? It was discovered when the team made the LL World Series.

Because of cheating. There have been some instances in the Little League World Series where teams were disqualified because of a player's age (too bad for the rest of the team).

The other side is not cheating for high level competition, but because some parents think their child is ready to play whether or not there's an age requirement so they lie. In my summer swim league we've caught several instances of lying about age in the past few years. Our league requires a child be 6. All of the teams in our league max rosters before the season starts. When a parent puts a 5 year old on a team that takes a spot from a child who was the correct age to be on the team. Not to mention the age discrepancy is usually discovered because of behavior issues related to age. One of my kids swam the length of the pool at 4, but I had to wait to put her on the team just like everyone else. It's a tiny bummer to wait. Broad scheme no big deal in life.

I don't consider a copy of the birth certificate invasive. It's not the ss#.

In our league of travel ball, the coach has to have a copy of each player's birth certificate at each tournament. There have been many games where a player looked much older than the rest of the team. (There were several times where the team tried to cheat, too.)

People will try to get some great kid on their team so they can win, but that child is too old. Since the beginning of our sporting endeavors, I have had an official copy of each child's birth certificate because I know it will be required.

I've always been baffled why it's okay to require this of small children but people in high public office don't have to hand theirs over. Weird stuff!

Because people cheat. Even at little league. And when questions come up, the league has proof that is verifiable by multiple people. If just one person looks at it, favoritism is likely to happen.

It doesn't bother me.

:iagree: Our team moms for competitive cheer as well as soccer are required to have them on hand at games/competitions for proof of age if asked. Here you can't play if you don't provide them- dosn't bother me.

I taught at a preschool for a few years and we had to ask for them bc we had parents who would lie about their kids age to get them moved into older classes - bc the parent thought their kids was too smart to be with kids their own age. Yes...I am serious and we had this happen several times!

In our football league the boys are required to submit a copy of a state issued id to their coaches. We have to take them to the Dept of Motor Vehicles with their original birth certificate and our id, have their picture taken, and pay for a state id card (similar to a DL, but for minors).

I hate going to the Dept of MV. I hate it more when I have to drag my two boys with me, wait and watch the inefficiency in action, and pay $15 each for an id card just so they can play football. :glare:

It could also have to do with liability issues, and insurance requirements.

Ie, meaning verifying that it IS just 11-12 year olds on the 11-12 year old team. Say a boy gets seriously injured, come to find out the child who created the injury (perhaps they collideded or something) was actually older than 12, and now parents, in our lawsuit-loving society, could potentially sue the league since they thought their son was playing with a like-age group, and now got injured by a child much older. Just thinking of possible scenarios that insurance companies would be considering.

Having been involved in our local youth soccer community, the birth certificate requirement is to help prevent cheating. I believe it is also for liability.

There is another league in the area that turns a blind eye to proof of age, and boy do they have some very mature looking kids for their ages!

Even for cross country and track, lying about a child's age most definitely gives them a competitive advantage.

I agree-they are necessary in case there is ever a question about a competitor's age. Any coach can question the age of any player, and providing the copy of the birth certificate to the officials keeps everyone playing. If you are really averse to them having it, I would call and ask if a state issued ID card would work-you would then have to take her birth certificate down to the DMV and get her a state ID card, a copy of which they would keep on file, but at least it isn't the birth certificate. My sons soccer league asks for a copy of the birth certificate just once the first year they play and keep it on file until they leave the league-honestly, even if someone with access to the copies wanted to steal an identity, the chance it would be my sons is so minuscule that I don't worry about it.

My DD competes on a cheer/pom team that has both age and ability divisions, and girls can compete up, but not down. The coaches keep a file of all the girls' birth certificates or official IDs at competition-just a copy, non-certificated (and give them back at the end of each season) so that if someone questions whether that tall, athletic kid really belongs in that age group, they've got the proof. It's either that, or face either having the whole team disqualified. It comes up most with the middle school age group, where some of the girls look 10 and some of them look 16, even though they're all about 13.

I never questioned it. Realistically, my 25% on height DD isn't going to be questioned about her age, but one of her best friends is actually 6 months younger than she is-and looks at LEAST 2 years older. If both girls are out together, they'll often be assumed to be sisters-and DD gets frustrated because the assumption is that she's the younger sister.

Edited by dmmetler

Maybe I will make a copy and block out all but her name and birth date. It is still a copy!

I have never been asked for a copy of a child's BC to play a sport. If I had, I would have reacted the same way you are.

It's sad that some parents can't be trusted to tell the truth about something as simple as a birth date.

I refuse to hand over a copy of that document just to play a sport. They can see it, I can bring it for them to look at, they will not have a copy floating around where I can't keep tabs on it.

I just noticed this. Our league requires you to bring in an original and THEY make the copy. But, you must bring an original, with the appropriate seals/watermark/certification/stamps/etc.........

I am glad they do this. My dd plays softball ...recreational and travel. The coaches need to verify and see copies of the birth certificates sometimes since coaches cheat and can put older girls that play better on younger teams. If the cut off is Jan. they have to prove they are born that year ...lets say...Jan 1, 02-Dec. 31 02. It stinks to see cheating teams have girls older on their teams. Other times...it helps when you can a 5'2 kid is still 9 and just a big kid...and not a 12 yo. Makes a big difference.

It stinks when other teams cheat! It is common practice all over the country. It is required by the sanctioning leagues here. (such as NSA or USSSA here)

Yeah, to run cross-country with USATF, a bc is required. And btw--even though your kid is verified, you might get to a National meet and have to produce it again! Just a heads-up. Happened to us...

That's funny- My dd has a USATF membership, and I have never been asked for a birth certificate. The website did say that I might have to produce one at a meet though.

The last year my son was in youth football, we had to obtain a state issued id. It's for age and residency verification. The youth sports can get really competitive around here. Middle school aged kids are looking to get private school scholarships for sports. I've actually found that high school sports are less stressful than youth football was.

That's funny- My dd has a USATF membership, and I have never been asked for a birth certificate. The website did say that I might have to produce one at a meet though.

We had to provide a birth certificate to register our kids in USATF. I'm very surprised you didn't. Better keep a copy on hand...

We had an illegal player on our soccer team. One of the girls had a summer birthday and had been held back in school. She wanted to play with her friends, so they registered her for the year younger then she actually was. And even in kindergarten, she was so much better than everybody else. I thought it was horrible, but I didn't want to raise a fuss b/c all the girls were in my dd's class. After 3 years the girl decided to go to a more competitive league that required birth certificates. Actually, one season we had 2 girls with summer b-days that had been held back and were playing. But we still lost almost every game :tongue_smilie:

Why, in the name of all that is holy, do sports organizations require a copy of your child's birth certificate?

Good gravy even the state doesn't require a copy of your BC for driving. They just want to see it! Driving lasts a lot longer than a sports season.

ETA: This is for Cross Country track... not LL or football :) Although the league does do basketball, softball, soccer, volleyball and baseball. They may do more but that is off teh top of my head. So do they really need it for track??

Our state requires a copy of your birth certificate. In fact, you are required to bring in the original so THEY can copy it. For a driver's license. Honestly, that wasn't all either. I thought they were going to ask me to dig up my dead grandmother for genetic testing before they were through.