Menu

At what age do your kids start cleaning the cat litter box?

My daughter started it as a regular job at 6 (it was the new job she acquired on her birthday ;)). We have two regular litter boxes with scoopable litter and she cleans them twice a day (morning and night). We have had to have periodic "re-education" on the proper way to do it over the years.

ETA: these are indoor-only cats.

I had planned to have them start doing it this year BUT my cat has already had 2 cases of worms. (she is an indoor/outdoor cat and a very good hunter), so I will likely never let them start scooping her box just in case. If I had an indoor only kitty, I would likely let them start at around 11-12 yrs, basically when they are old enough to scoop it properly without flinging litter everywhere and knowing how to properly wash their hands afterwards (and I do mean properly, not the way most kids think is washing kwim)

Starting at about age 7, my son did it off and on when his Dad was out-of-town. Now he does it full-time. He's 9. Regular cat box and he knows to wash his hands well afterward.

Edited by Daisy

I never thought of this!! Wow. I could dump that chore for myself. Woot!!

Bingo ;). That would also be why she has the chores of folding laundry (which she doesn't mind as much as I let her watch a video while she does it) and cleaning out the car. BTW, she's 11 now, so I'm not putting it all on a 6yo. :001_smile: My husband is anxiously awaiting her being tall enough to mow the grass (maybe next summer---at 10 I was mowing my yard and my grandmother's, but I was taller than she is now).

Never ~ dh and the kids are all too grossed out by it. :laugh:

I really don't mind doing it though…always have, so it's no big deal.

I've always done it (we didn't have cats when I was pregnant) because, well, if you want something done right ... ;)

But I really need to teach the kids to do it. They're old enough.

Facing the litter box in the morning is one of the hardest things I know. I'm convinced that our two cats sneak out at night for beer and burritos, judging from the condition of the litter boxes in the morning. :eek:

Facing the litter box in the morning is one of the hardest things I know. I'm convinced that our two cats sneak out at night for beer and burritos, judging from the condition of the litter boxes in the morning. :eek:

Ahh, so that's who our cats have been meeting up with at night!;)

5. Regular litter box (well, the kind with the hole in the lid for the cat to climbe down into. Lid comes off for cleaning.)

:iagree: My son brought home his first cat home when he was 5 (thanks to granpa). He began right then with supervision. When he added 2 more cats 2 years later, he got even more responsibility. He is now 11 and handles all cat chores by himself. If he doesn't, he know that cats will find new homes. I am a cat lover but I didn't want cats again when this started. We do still oversee, and if he is lazy or doesn't do a good job, he is in trouble.

Well, I read the ages you guys posted to my husband. He's the one who was resistant to the idea. :glare:

I've announced to everyone that today is the day they learn how to clean the litter box. YAY for me!!

I loved it when these girls were little, but I have to admit I really enjoy the perks of having real noticeable help around here. This year has been life changing for me. I'm starting to feel like I'm not a slave to cleaning this house. :party:

It might depend on the kid. My kid is hyperactive and tends to try to do jobs without bothering to look at what he's doing. For instance, I'll say, "Put that towel on the towel rack," and he'll pick it up, while looking at a toy in his hand, or something interesting across the room, wave the towel around until it bumps into the towel rack, and then let it go...and the towel falls back on the floor.

It's an ongoing effort for him to actually LOOK at the job he's doing.

The idea of giving him a little shovel and a box full of cat pee balls that have stuck to the bottom of the box...and having him try to scrape them off the bottom with the shovel....all I can picture is the shovel acting as a catapult with cat pee balls hurtling across the room with a trail of dirty kitty litter in their wake.

Or he'd get the ball onto the shovel, but then forget to actually look to make sure it goes into the bag, and end up with a little pile of cat pee balls piled up next to the box and an empty bag in his hands.

No....he's not ready yet.

My oldest DD is now 9.5, and I started training her to do it at age 8. Within a few months, she was cleaning the litter boxes (2, regular) on her own. I still check up every now and then, and remind her of the proper procedure. But it's nice not to have to do this anymore (at least not as often).

DS is now in charge of feeding and water bowls. I do have to remind him, but he does it willingly.

I didn't see anyone mention this, but my boys change the litter box by about age 13, and in our house, girls don't change the litter box at all.

No, it's not cause we've got some bias regarding the skills of males vs. females, it's because of this:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002336/

We know a young man who was born with severe disabilities as a result of his mom's (unknown) infection. Apparently it's possible to contract the parasite early and carry it without symptoms, then only find out when a future baby is born. I have this knee-jerk reaction that has made me institute the rule that boys change the cat box.

Edited by Julie in CA