Menu

What does/did you 9th graders year look like

I am planning 9th grade at the moment and here is what I have so far

Math Jacob Geometry 2nd edition, Zome Geometry, Patty Paper Geometry(the last two to be done over the summer to prepare for Jacob)

Science - Rainbow Chemistry

English - Wordly Wise 3000 9th grade level

IEW Essay Writing

Reading mainly based on history via Sonlight

Spelling CLP Grade 8

History - combining Sonlight 7 and 100 to study time period of 1570- whatever we get to We have alread started this schedule

Geography - one week of each state and report on each state We have also already started this.

Music - Guitar private lesson and book on care and repair of the guitar

Art - mainly craft projects based on Homeschool in the woods Colonial Life and American HIstory units. Also a Drafting course

Electives - Mr. Circuit 3, Thinking Toolbox

I'm outsourcing this year, and this what 9th grade looks like for my dd:

Also, she's technically a private school student, so we have to create a transcript that follows certain guidelines.

English I Honors: Abeka Grammar and Composition III, Writer's Inc Handbook, various classic lit books to read (group class)

Algebra I Honors: FL Virtual School

Biology I Honors: BJU Biology (group class)

Latin II: Latin in the Christian Trivium (on-line class)

Intro to Computers: FL Virtual School

Web Design I: FL Virtual School

Intro to Bible I: AO Life Pacs grade 9 New Testament

My son will be taking the following classes in the fall:

Bible-read daily/Starting Points/different religions

History-Beautiful feet

Science-Apologia Biology

Math-Algebra-not sure what

Language Arts- finish Hake Grammar and then grammar will be done with his compositon/IEW US history/English From the Roots Up

Art-Artistic Pursuits

Foreign Language-Spanish in a co-op/rosetta Stone Hebrew

Computer Science class

Swimming(we have a pool so this will be his P.E.)

Literature-American Literature at the co-op(I will be teaching this class)

I know there is more but this is all I can think of right now.

Here's mine --

My son will be doing--

Writing -- The Lively Art of Writing

Literature -- "England in Literature" (text) + some Progeny Press study guides

Geometry (Jurgensen, Brown, and Jurgensen)

Latin -- Latin 2 (Regina Coeli)

History -- TruthQuest, lots of primary source documents, Spielvogel's Western Civ

Science -- Biology:Visualizing Life (Holt)

Computer Programming -- C++ (Potter's School)

Logic 2 (Memoria Press)

and, of course, Civil Air Patrol and LOTS of stunt kiting!

Chalkdust Algebra I

Latin Alive! and reviewing portions of Latin: Book One

History (TOG)

English I (TOG, Stewart's Grammar, Writing Aids, Vocab for the College Bound)

AP Biology

Government (TOG)

Philosophy (TOG)

We also did Greek (finished Elementary Greek III)

We are in a co-op where he did art, cooking, newsletter writing, & band

Here's mine:

Math: Algebra 2 with Foerster's Algebra & Trigonometry (will only complete algebra part). Will use Math without Borders for tutorial.

Science: Biology with Scholars Online

History: Omnibus 1

Literature: Omnibus 1 and I'm going to teach a C.S. Lewis class based on Omnibus 1's secondary readings

Grammar/vocab: Vocabulary for the High School Student, Editor-in-Chief C1, Daily warm ups for prefixes, roots, suffixes;

Bible: Omnibus 1

Drafting: Computer Assisted Design & Drafting through The Potter's School

Music: guitar lessons

Here's what we did this year for 9th:

Truthquest History

English - ( Hake Grammar, Vocabulary for the HS Student, home2teach writing)

Literature - we just read a variety this year

Algebra 1 - Foerster's

Science - Natural Science through Scholar's Online

German - through OSU

Cambridge Latin

PE - she dances 5 days/week

It seems the older she gets, the more I want to outsource. I start to doubt my abilities sometime!

Melissa:001_huh:

Here's the short version of what my daughter did for 9th grade:

Geometry (1.0 Credit): Florida Virtual School Course

Biology (1.0 Credit): Holt text, homegrown lab series

American History/Literature (2.0 Credits): Homegrown using Hakim’s “Freedom: A History of US†as a base, with lots of books and video/DVD documentaries – “Elements of Style†– “Word Roots†software level A1

Latin (1.0 Credit): Finished “Minimus Secundus,†then moved on to Oxford Book 1

Art (0.5 Credit): “Annotated Mona Lisa,†19th Century – Assorted hands-on projects and field trips

Music (1.0 Credit): Choir – Music appreciation with 2nd half of “Classic Tunes and Tales: Ready-to-Use Music Listening Lessons and Activities†and assorted field trips for live performances

Anthropology/Intro to Archaeology (1.0 Credit): “Out of the Past: An Introduction to Archeology,†plus associated video lessons from www.learner.org – Membership in local anthropological and archaeological societies

Theater Survey (1.0 Credit): Season tickets for two theaters, assorted other live performances – Broadway series on PBS plus essays on Broadway history from companion website – Reading several plays

My special needs ds is in 9th grade this year. He has done / is doing--

• Bible
  • Language arts (WriteShop I with some BJUP literature)
  • Math (Jacob's Geometry, 2nd ed)
  • Biology (BJUP 3rd edition)
  • Social Studies (BJUP Geography with some correlating history)
  • Spanish (BJUP Spanish 1, 2nd ed)

9th grade ds

Videotext Algebra or Lial's Introductory. (have videotext will try first)

Apologia Biology

will finish up Science Roots

IEW Student Writing Intensive continuation course(full year)

Anaytical grammar (full year)

Tell Me More (spanish or french)

History/literature not sure (leaning toward Sonlight 300) or TOG year 4

Music (guitar) he plays a couple of hours daily

Art(hope to find local class)

PE (he runs/bikes daily)

9th grade ds will be doing:

Life of Fred algebras

Finish up Apologia Biology and hopefully find an A&P type class to finish off with

Jensen's Vocabulary

Rod & Staff Grammar 7

All American History and "The Story of the Constitution"

The Ultimate Geography and Timeline Guide and Mapping the World By Heart

Lightning Lit 8

Shop/Home Ec

PE

Greek (finishing up "Hey Andrew, Teach Me Some Greek" series)

Wants to start Hebrew

This is what my ds will be covering next year. I'm still wondering how to get it all done and remain sane.

Math: NEM 3

Literature: TOG Redesign Year 2

Writing: TOG Redesign Year 2

English: Editor in Chief, Abeka Grammar & Composition III, Spelling Power

Vocabulary From Classical Roots

Traditional Logic I

SOS Spanish I

Henle Latin I

History: TOG Redesign Year 2

Science: Apologia Biology I

Trina

Well, mostly this:willy_nilly: and this:toetap05: while my daughter did this::coolgleamA:too much of this :driving: and some of this :boxing_smiley:!!

That pretty much sums up 9th grade.

Oh, you meant academically, didn't you?

She had alg 1 with a private tutor, Apologia physical science, Smarr ancient lit, IEW composition, ancient world history with a hodge podge of high school and college texts, and flute in both band and private lessons.

Let's see if I can remember--I think we did...

Omnibus Ancients, taking out some reading and adding in others, supplemented with Spielvogel and 3 books on bible/theology/doctrine

Rod and Staff Grammar 6, for one semester

Henle Latin 1, for one semester

Jacobs Algebra, supplemented with Algebra in 20 Minutes A Day

Music--guitar lessons with Dad (who taught professionally) including music theory

Apologia Biology

Logic for 1 semester

Credits:

1 World History

1 Bible/Theology

1 Ancient Lit/English

1 Biology

1 Music

1 Algebra

.5 Latin

.5 Logic

Finishing up 9th now, ds has done:

Jacobs Geometry, 2e

Spectrum Chemistry (look familiar so far?:D)

Great Books tutorial which included essay writing, plus A Beka Grammar & Comp III and Vocab for the High School Student at home

Latin in the Christian Trivium (level I)

Traditional Logic I and II (through a class at co-op--the teacher added a fair amount of writing and called it "Reasoning and Writing"--great class!)

Journalism - He wrote for and took a turn editing a school paper for our co-op this year. Learned a lot--I'm giving him a 1/2 credit.

and the big bomb of our school year...history. I still don't know how I am going to put this on his transcript. We started out with the idea that he would read and write on topics from The History of the Ancient World by SWB. However, that only got done for about a month. The reading happened for a few more weeks, but I think I only saw one paper. Maybe two. By Christmas I realized this wasn't happening, and it wasn't as relevant as I would like because his Great Books class was doing more modern works, I decided to put HOAW away until next year. I picked up a book about the history of America at War. I thought it sounded like something that would appeal to ds. He read it. Part of it. No writing or discussion. Mostly he was so busy with his other classes and activities that it just wasn't getting done. It was now spring. I panicked. I bought Lifepacs. He is doing three lifepacs on government. I figure with that plus his reading of Rouseau's (sp?) Social Contract and founding documents of the US, plus three citizenship merit badges we could call it Foundations of Government and give 1/2 credit.

It's kind of scary now that 9th grade "counts". You can't just blow off a class and get to it next year. A college admissions person could say, "Why don't you have any social studies in 9th grade? Why do you only have 5.5 credits? What were you doing?"

Ds: "Umm, I was swimming?" :rolleyes:

I plan on having them work for five hours a day; they can get up as early as they want and start, but if they're still in bed at 8, I plan to wake them and have them going by 9. (This is sort of what we do, already).

There are ten subjects total, with them working on seven of them, daily (rotating certain things) for either half an hour, or an hour (lit. readings and algebra are two things I'm allowing an hour for). We'll have an hour of discussion, after I'm done with the Littles for the day, but most of their work is independent, with them coming to ask for help if they need it (part of the purpose of the discussion hour is to determine if they really needed to come and ask for help, but didn't).

I'm hoping to do some of our discussion in Spanish, but we'll see how consistent I am at that, lol.

Here are our resources:

Rosetta Stone and a grammar book for Spanish

Apologia Physical Science (they're also taking a Physical Science class for 9th graders at a science museum; this will count for their 'lab', since I'm not great about doing lots of experiments)

Mish-mash of stuff for writing/grammar; A Rulebook for Arguments and some critical thinking software/books for logic

WTM/Tapestry of Grace suggestions for History and Literature, along with Spielvogel's History Odyssey

Various things for Art/Music and Art/Music Appreciation

Continuing Foerster's Algebra, and then moving on to Jacob's Geometry when we're done

One is doing indoor rock climbing for her P.E. credit...still not sure what the other is doing. (Sigh)

Their two electives are just going to be interest-led things; one child wants to put together a motor and construct a vehicle using a lawn mower or weed-eater engine, and one has expressed an interest in her grandfather (my step dad) teaching her to do some stained glass stuff (he's very gifted in that area, if I can manage to get him to commit to it).

We're starting in a couple of weeks, actually (I'm considering their 8th grade year formally done after they do standardized tests next week), so that we can try and keep our languid (read: lazy) pace, year 'round. We'll see if it works out that way.

I have a High Schooler's Homeschool Planner for each of them, and the plan is to give them their assignments at the beginning of the week (I'm writing out lessons plans this year!), and have them fill in their subject boxes and then check them off as they're completed. (The Planner has bubbles to fill in, indicating quarter hours spent on each subject, so for extra curricular things like building a motor, sewing, etc., they can just keep track of time, for credit purposes).

Oh, and one child plans to volunteer at the hospital, the other hopes to start at the zoo.

I think that's everything...

Older son's current 9th grade year:

Language Arts:

Literature:

1. Literary Lessons from the Lord of the Rings

2. WTM Great Books study (ancients) -- Gilgamesh (abridged); Iliad; Odyssey; Oedipus; Antigone; Greek myths; Aeneid (abridged)

Grammar: fell through (started off with Analytical Grammar

Writing: Put That in Writing 1 (greatly modified to be workable for us)

Spelling: individualized and includes vocabulary

Vocab: English From the Roots Up 1 and 2

Bible: Explorer Bible Study; Quest level; History of Ancient Israel

Math: Jacob's Geometry

History: (ancients) Spielvogel's Human Odyssey (and additional resources)

Science: Apologia Biology

Geography: mini unit on Middle East

Logic: Fallacy Detective/Thinking Toolbox

PE: tennis or lap swimming

extras:

- Student Council Class Representative for large local homeschool group

- Sunday School class assistant teacher

- community service (as a family, we each do 20-25 hours/school year)

- personal interest: he doodles around with filmmaking/animation

Younger son will do 9th grade in the fall:

Language Arts:

Literature:

1. Lightning Literature 8

2. WTM Great Books study -- to go with history

Grammar: haven't decided yet

Writing: Wordsmith

Spelling: individualized; and Megawords

Vocab: English From the Roots Up 1 and 2

Bible: haven't decided yet

Math: MUS Algebra (spine); Jacobs Algebra (supplement)

History: still deciding

Science: Apologia Biology or Prentice Hall Biology

Geography: mini unit on either Africa or the Americas

Logic: Fallacy Detective/Thinking Toolbox

PE: tennis or lap swimming

extras:

- Student Council Class Representative for large local homeschool group

- Sunday School class assistant teacher

- community service (as a family, we each do 20-25 hours/school year)

Math: Algebra 2 (Saxon), plus supplements

English: World Literature( Co-op course, using Stobaugh's book) plus extra vocabulary& grammar

History: World History (Either Notgrass, or Keystone's Honors World History)

Science:Biology (Co-op class plus DVD's)

Spanish I (finish I, begin II using BJU DVD's)

Elective: either Health or a computer class at the co-op

I'll see if I can remember, but I mostly farmed out that last year, so I'm not sure it'll be too helpful to you:

Math - VideoText Algebra II (that's the last three modules).

Science - he did a dual credit geology correspondence course through Indiana University.

English - he worked through the last half of Vocab from Classical Roots D and all of E, and Abeka Grammar and Comp III, but the main portion of his lit/writing for the year came through another IU dual credit course in Greek Mythology.

History - he did an IU dual credit course in Greek history and culture, which included some geography work.

Music - Guitar private lesson and book on care and repair of the guitar - mine did this, too!

He did a full year of health class through a semester coop course and then a semester long high school correspondence course that complimented what they did first semester.

He did a semester coop course in logic which I used to finish up a credit in logic he had already been working on earlier. He also did a semester long political science class which I lumped into this as they included a ton of debate on topics.

He did a test-taking/study skills class to help prep for ACT/SAT testing, etc. It was done for our coop teens through a local tutoring center and was a semester long course.

He was involved in a hs drama group for the year which culminated in a play at the end of the year (2 shows). He had one of the more major parts in the play. It was a musical production.

He did a semester long high school correspondence course in art history which complimented his Greek studies to some extent, since it was ancients up through the Rennaisance. I put this together with some other stuff he'd already done in art to make a "humanities" credit, which is now required here (but the drama, guitar, etc. would also have counted).

He finished up Latin II studies using the Latin Primer/Grammar books (he had also done an outside class the year before using Jenney's).

He did Spanish I using BJU's programming and CD's. He also reviewed over the summer with Rosetta Stone. He also had an 8 week outside class using a Barron text (trying to get him to *speak*, but he didn't like it.....)

He's a year-round swimmer.

I think that's all,

Potter's School:

Apologia Biology

English III

Local co-op:

Robotics

Different local co-op:

World History (Notgrass)

Spanish 1 (BJU)

Introductory Logic

Home:

Bible

Total Health(BJU)

Geometry

(Life of Fred? Jacob's? 2e or 3e? Teaching Textbooks? Idk!!!:willy_nilly:

Latin in the Christian Trivium II

Extracurricular:

Choir-he loves this but it takes up a lot of time. May end up on the chopping block.

Piano

Working toward Eagle Scout

Jacob's Geometry

IEW-Windows to the World - Lit Analysis

Lit Selections - Oliver Twist, Pride & Prejudice, Screwtape Letters, Jane Eyre, Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde, and Romeo and Juliet (will be using with Glencoe or Progeny Press Lit guides)

Analytical Grammar HS Reinforcement - British authors

BJ Biology w/ DVD's

BJ Cultural Geography

Latin in the Christian Trivium - Book 3

Bible - Following SL200 Bible

Office 2007 Course

BJ Health (State requirement)

Spanish I - coop class

Piano

Yvonne in NE

So far -

History and Lit - still not 100% decided, so I'll skip that instead of writing a book! (I'll come back and add it later) Dd is interested in world geography and religions, so we'll probably have that be a part of it.

Science - we could go on and do Apologia Chemistry next (dd wants to), but I'm a little hesitant. We'll see.

Henle Latin - 2nd semester of Latin I, first semester of Latin II. We'll throw in some more Cambridge for fun.

Spanish I @ co-op

English/Lit - same as above, fairly undecided.

Math - Jacob's Geometry

PE - raquetball, tennis, archery, horseback riding

Art - pretty undecided here, too

I need to get busy, don't I? :tongue_smilie:

Here are my plans for 9th grade next year for my dd.

Bible - SL Core 7 Bible (though we are omitting a few and adding in one)

History - SL Core 7 and Our Living Constitution through co-op

Math - Video Text Algebra

LA - R&S 7th (grammar only), WW3000 9th, finish Jump In Writing

Literature - SL Core 7 and I'm still trying to figure out if LL8 will fit in nicely or be overkill

Science - Apologia Physical Science

Art - Artistic Pursuits

Music - continue piano lessons, also children's choir at church

PE - co-op plus dd is hoping to begin horseback riding in the fall

We are also doing science lab at co-op and are considering geography at co-op also (possibly Mapping the Word by Heart). Dd also participates in yearbook club for the co-op. I may consider adding health the 2nd semester to get that required credit out of the way, we'll see how the year's going then.

I'll play--

Videotext Algebra

Continue WriteShop

A Beka's Lit as a spine + Total Language Plus for a few novels. we're gonna have a heavy-on-lit-analysis year. at co-op: "Figuratively Speaking" in the fall, and a short story discussion group in the spring.

Science --as of now, I'm having all the boys do BJU Science 6. we'll beef it up for 9th grade. i think he's had enough of Apologia --good, but a bit tough for his non-sciencey brain. They will also be working on the Lego Robotics set.

History: he chose to study France and the middle east in depth. Now I want something like A Beka's "My State Notebook" for each country :) This will cover art as well.

Geography: all my guys are gonna do world geeography.

4-H Cooking and Nutrition: this is one beefy program when I perused it a couple weeks ago. And it's free :D

Thinking Toolbox: another one we're all gonna do.

Greek: we're all doing Greek. Using inthebeginning.org/ Alphabetarian. Considering adding Elementary Greek too....

Music: continue lessons w/ mom on theory and practice w/ mountain ocarinas.

PE: President's PFC; hiking; TKD

in addition to Scouts, we are also making our co-op into a "4-H" co-op, w/ a focus on record books and competitions. That will include Food and Nutrition, Speech and Debate, Performing Arts, and Elections/ Civics.

He'll have something scheduled for Bible, but I give him some freedom in this area.

He's learning SWR w/ us [i'm still on the learning curve for that, lol], but he's a good reader, natural speller, and has a pretty good grasp of grammar.

Officially Bear was an 8th grader last year, but he's skipping to the 10th this next school year, so I guess last year counts as 9th. ;)

He did:

Bible - reading as a family and various books like "What's the Big Deal with my Parents", Boyhood & Beyond, etc.

KISS grammar (free online)

Shurley English 7 (last part of the year)

Write@Home

Jensen's Vocabulary

TOG 4

Chalkdust precalculus

Started Life of Fred calculus (and finishing it this summer along with Thinkwell)

Apologia Advanced Chemistry

Art - Photoshop, PainterX, Adobe Illustrator, Maya (3-d program), Bryce (another 3-d program)

SAT prep

Volunteering at a local assisted living and nursing facility

He also did some Latin with his younger brother but we dropped it.

He also started a computer club where he refurbishes computers and donates them to needy people or seniors in our community.

seem like a long time ago for us, too. Here's what my oldest did two years ago:

Abeka Grammar & Composition III

Wordly Wise 7 (older version; now equivalent to Wordly Wise 10 for 10th graders)

Vocabulary from the Classical Roots C

Finished up Henle I for our 2nd year of Latin

Traditional Logic II

Omnibus I (for Lit. & History)

World History: A Human Odyssey (for history)

Apologia Biology

Piano lessons

Voice lessons

HTH!

Math: Saxon Algebra 2

Science: Apologia Biology

History: 2nd half of SL100 + Bks 3 & 4 of Critical Thinking in US History

Lit: mix of Lightning Lit American w/some SL books and lots of essays

Religion: Catholicism & Reason and Beginning Apologetics

Art: How Great Thou Art, Book I

Health: Abeka Health in Christian Perspective

PE: couple scout merit badges & biking, swimming, hiking

HTH,

Brenda

History/Literature ala TWTM with Stewart Grammar, VFCR, Great Battles of the Ancient World (The Teaching Company), the Aeneid (again, TTC)

Latin: Oxford II (NLE II)

Geometry: Dressler (an early '70's book written for students pursuing a Regent's diploma; proof and construction oriented); also, some Euclid and Experiments in Topology (Barr--hands on introduction)

French in Action (did first nine lessons with farmed out conversation)

Conceptual Physics

Logic: A Rulebook for Arguments

PE/Health: recreational hockey, power skating lessons, read Nutrition Action Newsletters monthly, backpacking trip (for which he made an alcohol stove and learned to prepare meals on it)

Competitive teams: FLL in the fall, Envirothon in the spring

Numerous 4-H activities

My only regrets for 9th and 10th: we should have used an outside source for writing.

Note: I love seeing so many of you include Latin in your students' programs!

Jane

My son's upcoming 9th grade year is looking something like this:

Algebra II (at the local jr. high)

Biology (at the local jr. high)

High school Latin II -Lingua Latina (with The Potter's School)

Omnibus I with Western Civilization and The History of the Ancient World (literature, theology and history)

Warriner's English Grammar and Composition (third course)

The Art of Argument

The Story of Art

Guitar lessons

Volunteer work at the local library

Now, how we're going to fit all that in, add a sport now and then, a bit of paid work for Mom and Dad's business, and the proper amount of plain ol' boy fun, I don't quite know. :D

Here's our current plan for next year (the plan seems to change every week or so-- at some point we'll have to stop trawling the internet and commit :D):

The following four courses from Keystone National High School (we decided to try Keystone next year because dd anticipates needing NCAA eligibiltiy and this is an easy way to do it):

Geometry

English 9

American Government

Biology, Honors

Additional writing classes (EPGY W11 Series)

Latin II (Scholars Online)

Spanish II (So You Really Want to Learn Spanish 2 textbook combined with Instituto Cervantes online courses, http://ave.cervantes.es/ )

Swedish I (Rosetta Stone-- this one's just for fun :))

Music: Piano lessons

Drama: Shakespeare with a local homeschool troupe

PE: Competititve Olympic-Style Riflery and weight-training/cardio-vascular workouts at the Y

ACT prep

Extra: dd is determined to write a novel next year. She's looking forward to November (NaNoWriMo month!)