Menu

Don't apply if you are unemployed???

Yep, and my husband is now messed over because he was promised a temp to perm hire, quit his one job for it (health issues due to company neglect over rampant black mold), and then got "assignment ended...we accidentally overstaffed". He's been hitting the pavement everyday this week, spent the weekend applying online, and even one of the temp agencies doesn't have any spots open anywhere (and it was the agency where we knew two of the employees and the owner's wife) :( It really stinks.

Last fall when my DH was out, he was advised to take any consulting gigs he could find in order to avoid a gap on his resume. He forfeited more money in unemployment insurance than he earned consulting :glare: but there really is a stigma against those not currently working. :(

Last fall when my DH was out, he was advised to take any consulting gigs he could find in order to avoid a gap on his resume. He forfeited more money in unemployment insurance than he earned consulting :glare: but there really is a stigma against those not currently working. :(

I wondered how my step-father got a job recently. He had been consulting and arranging independent contracts while unemployed. He is 58 and got a good job - I was shocked.

Not everyone can do that though, careers are all very different. It is so sad.

Wow, my mom is having the opposite problem. She has a job that is continually cutting her hours again and again so she really can't pay her bills anymore but when she applies other places she is told since she has a job she is lower priority than someone unemployed.

I think this stinks of companies who do this:glare: There is no good reason to discriminate against the unemployed at all. MY dh was unemployed 5 years ago and there was no discrimination like this. I am not surprised since I have heard of age discrimination too for people who are 40 plus years old:001_huh: This is probably due to increases in health insurance premiums due to aged 40 plus year olds:glare: Reason one million and one for universal medicare for all in my book:)

:grouphug: to anyone facing this. I have heard that volunteering, consulting as a way to keep your resume filled may help. Some states are outlawing this practice from what I recall which I agree with.

I think this stinks of companies who do this:glare: There is no good reason to discriminate against the unemployed at all. MY dh was unemployed 5 years ago and there was no discrimination like this. I am not surprised since I have heard of age discrimination too for people who are 40 plus years old:001_huh: This is probably due to increases in health insurance premiums due to aged 40 plus year olds:glare: Reason one million and one for universal medicare for all in my book:)

:grouphug: to anyone facing this. I have heard that volunteering, consulting as a way to keep your resume filled may help. Some states are outlawing this practice from what I recall which I agree with.

They can make it illegal to post ads saying not to apply if you are unemployed but I think there is very little anyone can do about the actual selection process.

They can make it illegal to post ads saying not to apply if you are unemployed but I think there is very little anyone can do about the actual selection process.

:iagree:

In theory it is a great idea. In practice is another ballgame. It will be especially difficult to prove one didn't get hired for a job because they were unemployed when there are several others that weren't hired and they were unemployed too.

When dh was looking for work, after being let go from employer, he ran into that mindset (will not interview/hire anyone unemployed) from many, many companies and headhunters. It really stinks as he was not let go b/c of any job performance issues & very much wanted to work.

Funny thing is ... now that he is gainfully employed some of those same companies and headhunters have called him about open positions. UGH! And, he will not use any of those headhunters when hiring for current company.

In this economy, it is a ridiculous bias, companies lose out on what may be the most qualified, best fit employee.

It is just mind boggling that this is really the mindset of employers.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/job-listings-unemployed-not-apply-133143362.html

Unfortunately, this is nothing new, even with the high unemployment rates. Employers are just open about it now.

I was a recruiter for several years and it was always drilled into us to interview and hire people already employed.

What a ridiculous mindset when the unemployment rate is so high. It is not as if the unemployment ranks are filled with folks who've been fired. That's who's around when unemployment rates are hovering near zero.

Like I told my kids today, "Dad was laid off." They asked how it was different than being fired. "Well it simply means they couldn't pay your Dad anymore, so they let him go. Fired is when they say, 'You did something wrong, and we never want you back.' " Indeed, my husband's former company has been doing its best to toss contract work in my dh's direction. It's definitely helpful as we make the transition.

I kinda wish current employment status wasn't allowed to be asked about.

I see different sides to this. There are some jerks out there that prey on the unemployed...hire them, treat them like carp, b/c they know they're desperate to be working.

Depending on the field, I can also see where not having a long break in employment could be useful...something like engineering, software design...where keeping up on up to the minute developments is needed.

Could it be that these companies are tired of having their time wasted by people on unemployment who have to report interviews each week but have no intention of taking a job? I know I've seen that advised to members here who needed to stay on public benefits for one reason or another.

How frustrating for those who actually want to work to run into this bias!

The irony is that getting a job while employeed isn't easy either.

There's a reason it's said getting a job is a ft job.

The few lucky enough to have a job can't exactly afford risking it to leave work for multiple interviews and related stuff.

In this economy, an employer finding out you are job hunting is a quick way to become unemployed.

And the cycle continues...

Could it be that these companies are tired of having their time wasted by people on unemployment who have to report interviews each week but have no intention of taking a job?

This might be the case for low-wage jobs, but it doesn't explain the bias against the unemployed by recruiters for jobs that pay far more than the maximum unemployment check. Somebody who was making 6 figures isn't going to turn down an offer in order to receive $450 per week in unemployment.

I'm not sure why you think it is mind-boggling. It was apparent to me from age 20 on that getting a job is much easier if you currently have a job. As to "motivation", wait until you have a lousy employee who threatens legal action if you try to get rid of them. I work with people like that and it poisons the whole atmosphere. Just because you and yours are good employees, you have to put yourself in the shoes of someone who wants someone who has proven themselves reliable, or you can end up with trouble, trouble, trouble. In times of high unemployment, what employer wouldn't want to use the opportunity to weed. A friend just took a test to be a dispatcher for some company. 3 positions, over 500 applicants, 150 of whom took the test. My friend has a masters degree, and has applied for 70 jobs, all while employed. With that kind of pool to hire from, why would anyone take a chance?

I'm not sure why you think it is mind-boggling. It was apparent to me from age 20 on that getting a job is much easier if you currently have a job. As to "motivation", wait until you have a lousy employee who threatens legal action if you try to get rid of them. I work with people like that and it poisons the whole atmosphere. Just because you and yours are good employees, you have to put yourself in the shoes of someone who wants someone who has proven themselves reliable, or you can end up with trouble, trouble, trouble. In times of high unemployment, what employer wouldn't want to use the opportunity to weed. A friend just took a test to be a dispatcher for some company. 3 positions, over 500 applicants, 150 of whom took the test. My friend has a masters degree, and has applied for 70 jobs, all while employed. With that kind of pool to hire from, why would anyone take a chance?

I don't not see the point, but with today's unemployment rate I wonder if it's ethical. And I've been sued by employees. A few.

Well, because the ones who still have jobs may have them because they threaten legal action if they're let go? That seems like more of an argument that current employment is not an indication of employee quality.

What if a person is laid off because their company no longer exists? That's certainly not a reflection on them.

I was "unemployed"* for almost 6 years before I applied for my current position. I wasn't even asked about the gap in my resume, nor were my previous credentials in any way useful. I was hired because I have a professional background and am willing to educate myself to increase my value to the organization.

(* I was not technically unemployed as in receiving benefits while pursuing employment. I just didn't have a job)

Honestly, every time I hear someone say we need to let business self-regulate to improve the economy, it's scenarios like this that come to mind.

Edited by MyCrazyHouse

My husband ran across one application today that had a warning on it: they wanted you to list EVERY. SINGLE. JOB. you have ever held and you would be terminated if they found out you left off even one...even if it was a job for a day or a week. Last time he ran into that, it was an application for a police department (understandable); this was to drive glass from one place to another.

Well, because the ones who still have jobs may have them because they threaten legal action if they're let go? That seems like more of an argument that current employment is not an indication of employee quality.

Indeed, a friend who manages a medical office is watchful for TOO effusive a letter of rec. Sometimes someone blubs on and on in the hopes of getting rid of "the chocolate teapot", but really, if people who were not already employed did not have SOME statistical edge over those not employed, employers wouldn't give a hoot. It isn't anything new. It apparently isn't illegal, ethical is a complex topic (I want my employer to keep out the PITN people for my sake, and for the sake of the patients), and I guess I'm perplexed why people would be mind-boggled or find it asinine ("extremely or utterly foolish"). "Difficult" or "a real bummer" or "stressful" perhaps, but asinine?

I once roomed with a woman who advertised in a NYC paper for dates. It was a rather ho-hum ad, but she got over 200 responses, and anyone who wasn't a doctor, dentist, or lawyer, was immediately tossed. Now THAT seemed asinine. What kind of doctor would be answering ho-hum ads for a date? Cheater, beaters, or liars. She gave up after the 3rd guy.

But I am sorry for the OP. I've been hand to mouth many times in life, but never with a family to take care of. :grouphug:

Indeed, a friend who manages a medical office is watchful for TOO effusive a letter of rec. Sometimes someone blubs on and on in the hopes of getting rid of "the chocolate teapot", but really, if people who were not already employed did not have SOME statistical edge over those not employed, employers wouldn't give a hoot. It isn't anything new. It apparently isn't illegal, ethical is a complex topic (I want my employer to keep out the PITN people for my sake, and for the sake of the patients), and I guess I'm perplexed why people would be mind-boggled or find it asinine ("extremely or utterly foolish"). "Difficult" or "a real bummer" or "stressful" perhaps, but asinine?

I once roomed with a woman who advertised in a NYC paper for dates. It was a rather ho-hum ad, but she got over 200 responses, and anyone who wasn't a doctor, dentist, or lawyer, was immediately tossed. Now THAT seemed asinine. What kind of doctor would be answering ho-hum ads for a date? Cheater, beaters, or liars. She gave up after the 3rd guy.

But I am sorry for the OP. I've been hand to mouth many times in life, but never with a family to take care of. :grouphug:

Asinine because of the sheer # of people that are unemployed. You're not only weeding out the bad, but the excellent, who maybe through no fault of their own can't get a leg up.

We use a three month trial period. True colors normally show up by then.

My husband ran across one application today that had a warning on it: they wanted you to list EVERY. SINGLE. JOB. you have ever held and you would be terminated if they found out you left off even one...even if it was a job for a day or a week. Last time he ran into that, it was an application for a police department (understandable); this was to drive glass from one place to another.

Well, geeze, that sure discriminates against oldsters like me, eh? It would take me weeks to fill out that application. And, I'd still be fireable! ;)

Carli, thanks for your prayers. :grouphug: As I told my dh, if he had to get laid off, July 15 is about the best day of the year to do that, given where we live. :) The kids are LOVING having extra Dad time at the beach. And, he's working like mad on our endless home projects list, while also spending a few hours a day prospecting and developing his hands-on developer skills that got stale while being in management. Now, I just have to really work on my speed as a runner so I can win some cash age group awards! :tongue_smilie:

My dh has been out of work for 3+ years and we started seeing this, frequently, about 2 years ago. We realized that there was no way he was going to get work anytime soon at least easily. He has applied for so many things and gone on many interviews -- although none recently.

I haven't read all the replies to this topic but I just have to say that I read about this a few weeks ago and think it is entirely ridiculous in this economy with so many people out of work through no fault of their own...companies downsizing, companies going out of business, etc...

As if being unemployed weren't enough of a shock and difficulty for them and their families. Now they can't even apply for a job until they have a job?! What? Really?:confused:

Actually, age is one of the you-can't-discriminate-based-on-it categories, along with sex and race and (in some places) sexual orientation.

I think it's utterly ridiculous and wrong that places would throw out the unemployed applicants, when those applicants need the job more than those who are already employed. Especially now, when so many people end up unemployed through no fault of their own.

It's like how everyone wants experienced workers--but where are you supposed to get the experience? However, this is worse.

Actually, age is one of the you-can't-discriminate-based-on-it categories, along with sex and race and (in some places) sexual orientation.

Oh, but it is...:D My Dad had been looking for a job for two years now. This summer, he just gave up and started his own business. This was probably better for him anyway, he's been making a lot more money than he would with a job.

Oh, but it is...:D My Dad had been looking for a job for two years now. This summer, he just gave up and started his own business. This was probably better for him anyway, he's been making a lot more money than he would with a job.

We've been looking into this, but the "how" is the problem. How do you get financial backing for the equipment you need, the space that would be rented, etc?

I think it's utterly ridiculous and wrong that places would throw out the unemployed applicants, when those applicants need the job more than those who are already employed. Especially now, when so many people end up unemployed through no fault of their own.

It's like how everyone wants experienced workers--but where are you supposed to get the experience? However, this is worse.

Yeah, but...my dh is 50. He's a carpenter. He's applied at many companies in the last year looking for work. NADA. We're barely scraping by with his part time self-employment. He heard one reason they won't hire someone like him is because he's been self-employed too long. :svengo: So they'll hire the 20 year old single guy instead of the guy who worked his tushie off providing for his family for the last 20 years.

We've been looking into this, but the "how" is the problem. How do you get financial backing for the equipment you need, the space that would be rented, etc?

A lot of it depends on what kind of business you have. There are businesses out there with very minimal overhead. Also, you could set up an office out of your home (this is what he's doing). He bought an existing business and he took out a loan from the bank for it. The business came with all the equipment, accounts, etc.

Not to sound stereotypical :tongue_smilie: but my husband's family (they're from Korea), they all own their own businesses. Their financial methods are very different, tho. They tend to pool their money, but I do know that my FIL took out a loan for the building.

a woman who does the hiring for her company told me once that she'd hire a student any day over a mom. We're less flexible with our hours, have to take more days off, are harder to train, and are used to running our house which makes it hard for us not to try to run the business we're working for.

Yep, and it's why I couldn't get a stinking waitressing position.

One thing a lot of you are missing is that jobs normally come from people you know. It is a lot about networking and socializing. I have only had 2 jobs that I didn't know someone. My dh since we have been married has only had 2 jobs where he didn't know someone. For each of us one of those jobs was right after college graduation.

My dh has been doing contract work for the last several years. All of his jobs have been found from people we have worked with before. He has gone up to about 1 1/2 years unemployed, we were fine and not in a bind, but he was still hired for another contract job. Even this year he had been unemployed for several months and got a job because of people he knows.

This is really scary. My dh quit his job, and now I have to find work. I've been applying everywhere for months, but it appears I am no longer marketable after not having worked in years. I've been walking around asking myself what you're supposed to do if you can't get a job? Become homeless?

Oh, no. My husband lost his job a couple of years ago and it took a good 7-8 months for him to find a new job. We had to relocate across the country for it, too. It was awful. Now, the new job...there's a round of lay-offs coming in September. UGH. Can we get struck by lightning twice??

:grouphug: I hope you both find jobs soon.

One thing a lot of you are missing is that jobs normally come from people you know. It is a lot about networking and socializing. I have only had 2 jobs that I didn't know someone. My dh since we have been married has only had 2 jobs where he didn't know someone. For each of us one of those jobs was right after college graduation.

My dh has been doing contract work for the last several years. All of his jobs have been found from people we have worked with before. He has gone up to about 1 1/2 years unemployed, we were fine and not in a bind, but he was still hired for another contract job. Even this year he had been unemployed for several months and got a job because of people he knows.

Depends upon the type of work you do. Most blue collar work is not through people you know. It's through applications, resumes, skills, and experience. I knew four people at one place. Three worked in the same department. Two were supervisors over that department and wanted me in their department and were majorly pulling for me. In fact, my skills were good enough that they didn't want me just anywhere, but thought I would be best fit for their most high pressure area. I had people pulling for me, interviewed well, etc (this was at a hospital). Human Resources refused to hire me. Their reasoning: I hadn't worked in years, other than my own home business.