Menu

Best Small Dog Breeds? (please share your experience)

We recently moved across country and are *considering* a small dog. I've seen Shih Tzu's or I think it was a ShihPoo a while back. Man, that dog was so cute, lively, and SWEET! Non-shedding would be great. Please give me feed-back and thoughts on your experience. I am now scared of Shih's a bit because of another post here about them being hard to house train.

I think we would do best with an older dog as opposed to a puppy. It will be a while before we make a decision. We are renting at the moment, but I think there is the possibility that the landlord would allow a small dog. So, we have time to find the right pooch for our family.

What are my options? What are some things to consider?

My IL's have had a bishon for several years. She is very sweet and playful. They didn't make the effort to train her well but I think she would be easy to train. They do require a fair amount of grooming as their hair grows pretty fast, but she doesn't shed.

In my experience, and chatting with dog owner friends, the toy dogs are harder to house train, they like to run away, they bark more, nip at feet, and tend to get under foot more.

I have know several people that had repair men refuse to enter their house because they own a small dog. My parents had an Akita and a miniature pinscher at the same time. The repair guy made them lock the small dog away before he would come in because he had been bitten by a small dog.

Obviously, this is not everyone's experience, just what I have seen.

In my experience' date=' and chatting with dog owner friends, the toy dogs are harder to house train, they like to run away, they bark more, nip at feet, and tend to get under foot more.

I have know several people that had repair men refuse to enter their house because they own a small dog. My parents had an Akita and a miniature pinscher at the same time. The repair guy made them lock the small dog away before he would come in because he had been bitten by a small dog.

Obviously, this is not everyone's experience, just what I have seen.[/quote']

I am thinking that a small dog could ride with us a little easier when we go home to visit family. I can't imagine a large dog in the car with us drooling.:lol: Although I must say that I would love a medium size dog, but I think they all shed, right?

Forgot to say. I love Yorkies the best, but would not get one. The one wee had was hard to train and his eyes kept weeping and required a lot of daily care he wound up needing surgery on his eyes and wee finally had to put him down.

If I were going to get a dog now, I would get a rescue whippet. My parents have one that was a show dog and he is the BEST, sweetest, well behaved, quietest, loving dog I have ever met. He isn't as small as a toy dog, but he is lightweight and can comfortable sit on a lap.

My mother does Schipperke rescue; so I have met a lot of schipperkes. She has 4 of her own. They are intelligent and fun little dogs. schipperkes have a lot of personality, and I think that is why people like them (but they are a little mischievous at times ;).) They do shed , though. They 'blow' their coat (the undercoat). I kept a puppy for her a little while back even though I don't like puppies of any sort :tongue_smilie:. If you do not have an area to run, I would not do a schip, though. They like to be active and play.

I have a mixed breed small dog, terrier with pomeranian? (I think). I think mixed breeds are a great way to go too.

Either way, regardless of which breed you go with, I would suggest getting from a rescue.

Edited by jewellsmommy

We own a ****zu Poodle mix and a pure ****zu. The mix is THE perfect dog for us (the adults), however, he is delicate like a poodle sonot so good for the kids. The ****zu is a sturdy dog, playful and smart also. The ****zu is the better choice for kids of the two that I have experience with. The ****zu travels well also. We keep his hair short with a longer ears and tail and have no problems with shedding or allergies. Our ****zu does not bark unless he has a reason.

We have a rescued Shih Tzu/Maltese mix. He's about 8 months old now and 10 lbs. He doesn't shed, but needs grooming, so that is something to consider. In my experience, and the reason we chose a Shih Tzu mix when searching rescue groups on Petfinder.com, Shih Tzus are happy, sweet dogs. I don't think they are necessarily the sharpest tool in the shed, but I don't need a dog that's smarter than me.....or thinks they are ;).

I can't speak for the entire breed, but ours is not a "yapper", nor heel biter. My husband and I have already said that most likely, any future dogs will be Shih Tzu or a Shih Tzu mix due to our positive experience and *despite* the fact that they are difficult to potty train as puppies :001_smile:.

Here are a few pics of our Angus before and after his first grooming. He has one blue eye and one brown eye!

post-7258-13535085204061_thumb.jpg

post-7258-13535085204274_thumb.jpg

post-7258-13535085204061_thumb.jpg

post-7258-13535085204274_thumb.jpg

We own a ****zu Poodle mix and a pure ****zu. The mix is THE perfect dog for us (the adults), however, he is delicate like a poodle sonot so good for the kids. The ****zu is a sturdy dog, playful and smart also. The ****zu is the better choice for kids of the two that I have experience with. The ****zu travels well also. We keep his hair short with a longer ears and tail and have no problems with shedding or allergies. Our ****zu does not bark unless he has a reason.

Were your 'babies' hard to house train? I absolutely love Shih's I think they are adorable. In fact, I have friends who have them and only one is a bit of a pill. She is queen, or rather thinks she is, kwim?

We have a rescued Shih Tzu/Maltese mix. He's about 8 months old now and 10 lbs. He doesn't shed, but needs grooming, so that is something to consider. In my experience, and the reason we chose a Shih Tzu mix when searching rescue groups on Petfinder.com, Shih Tzus are happy, sweet dogs. I don't think they are necessarily the sharpest tool in the shed, but I don't need a dog that's smarter than me.....or thinks they are ;).

I can't speak for the entire breed, but ours is not a "yapper", nor heel biter. My husband and I have already said that most likely, any future dogs will be Shih Tzu or a Shih Tzu mix due to our positive experience and *despite* the fact that they are difficult to potty train as puppies :001_smile:.

Here are a few pics of our Angus before and after his first grooming. He has one blue eye and one brown eye!

Oh, how adorable! I want one! lol Do you live nearby? lol I'll come right over and play with your sweetie.

My mother does Schipperke rescue; so I have met a lot of schipperkes. She has 4 of her own. They are intelligent and fun little dogs. schipperkes have a lot of personality, and I think that is why people like them (but they are a little mischievous at times ;).) They do shed , though. They 'blow' their coat (the undercoat). I kept a puppy for her a little while back even though I don't like puppies of any sort :tongue_smilie:. If you do not have an area to run, I would not do a schip, though. They like to be active and play.

I have a mixed breed small dog, terrier with pomeranian? (I think). I think mixed breeds are a great way to go too.

Either way, regardless of which breed you go with, I would suggest getting from a rescue.

Yes, we, or rather I am looking at rescues. I prefer an older dog as opposed to a puppy.

Yes...I have a shih tzu mixed with a little of something else. She is a lover. She is quiet and doesnt bark....and she doesn't shed at all. She isnt the sharpest little thing...but she is a cutie!

I got her at 5-6 months...but if I adopt again I will try and get a little older puppy/dog...maybe a year old. Still have lots of love and energy...but easier to train.

I own a Pekingese and a wired hair Jack Russell Terrier. Daisy our Pekingese was dropped off in our subdivision. She came to us with some bad habits but is a very well behaved dog, but prefers to not be around young children. Mickey our JR was adopted from the shelter. He is about 10 y/o and is the best dog ever! I would caution getting a JR though if you have small pets like cat's as the JR is a hunting breed and we had to separate the cat and JR for almost 2 months. Now they are ok and co-exist but avoid one another.

Small dogs can become a problem if they develop the "big dog" syndrome. Older dogs are harder to train but it can be done.

I want a BIG dog next.

ETA: When deciding on a breed make sure you look up any potential health problems. Our Pekingese has back problems from jumping onto high things like our bed. Our vet says that the small dogs like the Pekingese are prone to back problems b/c of their structure.

Edited by my3luvbugs990105

My DH came into our relationship with a maltese he got custody of from a former relationship. She's loyal, cheerful, smart, trainable, doesn't shed and is a great dog.

I'm not a big supporter of buying expensive brands of dogs, but if anyone IS going to, I can say that a maltese is a great option.

I have to jump in here with my own prejudice! As you can tell from my avatar, I LOVE Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. They do shed though, so it may not be a good fit for you. But I couldn't miss the opportunity to gush about them.

They are very smart. (at least mine is :001_smile:). They are known to be excellent with children. They are a very gentle breed who love to sit on your lap or near you. They were also trained, long ago, as hunting dogs. So they are very active and playful when you want them to be. They go with the flow of the family's mood.

They are very beautiful, but surprisingly don't require a lot of grooming like other breeds might. I love how soft their coat is, and my dog doesn't have that "dog smell" unless she's just come in from running around in the heat. They make TERRIBLE watch dogs! They would love an intruder to death! ;) They LOVE people!

Good luck in your search!

Miniature Schnauzers are supposed to be good pets. There's very little grooming involved, as opposed to the grooming that long-hair breeds and mixed long-hair breeds require.

*I* would probably not get the smaller breeds (Yorkie, Boston terrior, chiuaua [sp?], etc.) because I'm a little paranoid since reading here about the Boston terrier pup that jumped off the sofa and hit his head and died right there, or my friend's Miniature Pinscher that was bouncing up and down and fell and broke its back. :eek:

We have a shih poodle mix. She is the perfect dog for our family.

We got her as a tiny puppy. She is awesome with kids and other dogs. She does not like to be held but will jump up on your lap, when SHE wants, to snuggle.

She was easy to potty train, but I must admit that she is the only dog that I've ever trained! She does not shed but her grooming is expensive.

I would absolutely recommend a shih or shih mix. :001_smile:

Ellie, your post just reminded me of one of my parent's miniature pinschers. It was a tea cup size, so very tiny. It jumped out of my dad's hand and died. They did have another min pin that lived for a long time. It died of a broken heart when his buddy, a huge Akita, died. They both were about 8-10 years old, I don't remember exactly. My mom got them both on the same day when they were about 3 months old.

My parents have a Shih/Toy Poodle mix, and he's awesome! He wasn't hard to train (Poodles are very smart), likes to sit with you for a pet now and then, but he doesn't mind some alone time napping in his bed. They also have two Chichauauas, but they seem to need constant attention.

We were looking into small breeds about 6 yrs ago.

The two that consistently came up as recommended for a family with small children were the Cavalier King Charles, and Pug.

While we were interested in the CKC, two things made us go for the Pug. One, they're viciously expensive here, talking about $1500. For a pet. Two, in comparing the 2 breeds, the CKC was very dainty framed, whereas the Pug looked like a tank...and since Tazzie was just barely walking, we decided that the sturdier animal was probably the better bet! :lol:

Our pug was just stinkin awesome with the kids. Yes, he shed, but oh my word...I have pics of him wearing lipstick (Tazzie gave him a make over), laying in front of Princess when she was a wee baby, sprawled out on his back, totally submissive to her...

I miss him. He scooted out of the house one Hallowe'en, and the mom at the door punted him like a foot ball. He went tearing down the walk way, Diva in pursuit...right in front of a speeding car. :crying: 4 yrs and a mini-pony later, we still miss our Harley.

The two that consistently came up as recommended for a family with small children were the Cavalier King Charles, and Pug.

While we were interested in the CKC, two things made us go for the Pug. One, they're viciously expensive here, talking about $1500. For a pet. Two, in comparing the 2 breeds, the CKC was very dainty framed, whereas the Pug looked like a tank...and since Tazzie was just barely walking, we decided that the sturdier animal was probably the better bet! :lol:

Our pug was just stinkin awesome with the kids. Yes, he shed, but oh my word...I have pics of him wearing lipstick (Tazzie gave him a make over), laying in front of Princess when she was a wee baby, sprawled out on his back, totally submissive to her...

I miss him. He scooted out of the house one Hallowe'en, and the mom at the door punted him like a foot ball. He went tearing down the walk way, Diva in pursuit...right in front of a speeding car. :crying: 4 yrs and a mini-pony later, we still miss our Harley.

:grouphug: How awful for your family! So very sad...

Forgot to say. I love Yorkies the best' date=' but would not get one. The one wee had was hard to train and his eyes kept weeping and required a lot of daily care he wound up needing surgery on his eyes and wee finally had to put him down.

.[/quote']

We've had two Yorkies but didn't have these problems. We loved them. They don't shed, didn't bark except at the doorbell, and are very intelligent. They do need exercise and activity though, because they are working dogs. One dog was difficult to potty train and the other was easy. If you are getting an older dog, you will know if there are any problems.

So sorry, I'm glad your dd wasn't hurt!

I agree with both of these statements.

My darling, beloved dog is a mixed breed, pomeranian and poodle and more. (Her mother was a pom mix, and her father seemed to be mostly poodle, by all accounts.) She's got her issues, but she's pretty much the perfect dog for me. She travels with me everywhere I go, including when I was doing those 1600-mile round trip drives to and from my daughter's campus in Virginia and all around town. When I show up somewhere without her, even acquaintances ask where she is.

She's about 14 pounds and does shed. I, however, have been allergic to every cat and guinea pig we've had but have no problem with her hair.

I also feel strongly that rescue is the way to go. There are so many wonderful dogs (and cats -- We've rescued two of those, too.) who need homes that I can't imagaine ever purchasing a pet. I know there are folks who have what seem to be valid reasons for doing so, but I don't think I could sleep at night if I acquired an animal through any means other than rescue.

Miniature Schnauzers are supposed to be good pets. There's very little grooming involved, as opposed to the grooming that long-hair breeds and mixed long-hair breeds require.

We had a mini schuazer when I was a kid, and the dog was insane. We learned after getting him that many of that breed are a little, well, neurotic.

Also, their hair is naturally longer and very curly and will mat unless you either keep them shaved/groomed or brush frequently.

Edit: One more thing - They are not born with those perky little ears. They are born with floppy ears which, at least when I was a kid, are usually surgically altered. I couldn't stand the idea of doing that to my puppy, so we didn't. And the dog had ear infections and problems for the rest of his life.

Edited by Jenny in Florida

So sorry, I'm glad your dd wasn't hurt!

She was far enough behind that she wasn't in danger, but close enough to see everything.

To this day, I'm not sure who I'd like to punch more...the idiot mother who kicked the dog, or the driver that thought SPEEDING on freaking Hallowe'en was a smart plan :glare:

I have to jump in here with my own prejudice! As you can tell from my avatar, I LOVE Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. They do shed though, so it may not be a good fit for you. But I couldn't miss the opportunity to gush about them.

Someday I want one of those, preferably the Blenheim (just because it's the color of the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel in my favorite book, the Little White Horse :D ). They're so pricey, though, so it will probably be quite awhile before I can justify the cost. ;-)

My dd's mil has two that I fell in love with when I visited them a couple of years ago. :-)

Dachshunds. My sister has a Dachshund and Jack Russel terrier mix. She is the best dog I have ever seen! Wonderful with kids, people, playful, yet a lapdog. I just love here.

Now I have a Pug. I love him to death. Pros very affectionate, playful, funny, loves everyone. Cons sheds like crazy! Hard to house train.

Dachshunds. My sister has a Dachshund and Jack Russel terrier mix. She is the best dog I have ever seen! Wonderful with kids, people, playful, yet a lapdog. I just love here.

Now I have a Pug. I love him to death. Pros very affectionate, playful, funny, loves everyone. Cons sheds like crazy! Hard to house train.

Pugs are cute. My mom thinks the world of them. She is a home health nurse and several of the clients have one. She says they are sweet, but shed, shed, shed! :001_smile: What about Pug health issues?

Pugs are cute. My mom thinks the world of them. She is a home health nurse and several of the clients have one. She says they are sweet, but shed, shed, shed! :001_smile: What about Pug health issues?

Shed, absolutely.

My guy didn't have any health issues. You need to check out the breeder carefully...some have breathing issues and eye issues, b/c they've specifically been bred for a more pushed in face and bulging eyes.

Other than that, heat is to be watched. B/c they do have the pushed in face, they're more susceptible to heat exhaustion than a typical dog.

We are having a blast with our black cocker spaniel. He is small enough to hold on our laps, but just big and sturdy enough to not have the tendancy to be underfoot or easily injured from being stepped on like the smaller breeds.

MIL had a chihuahua, a toy poodle, a maltese, and a bichon friese. The first three were nightmares...way too small, easily injured, high pitched barking that went on non-stop...the barking was so bad they had to be locked in a bedroom for the entirety of a visit, even if it was several hours, because they would bark themselves hoarse! It was really high pitched and ear piercing as well. But, the Bichon was soooo sweet and mild. It was a lovely little lap dog. The chihuahua and toy poodle constantly bit...literally, they were totally unsafe to have around our babies. I don't know if that is common with the breed, but our children could not go anywhere near their grandparents if the dog was out. They always drew blood on the ankles if you were simply walking across the floor. Eventually all of their friends and family stopped visiting because of those two dogs. I've known two other people who have each had a problem with those particular breeds. But, I can't tell if it is a normal problem with the breed or problem with the owners and lack of discipline.

My sil has two dachsunds. They never.shut.up.! I don't know how they live with it and those tiny bladders don't seem to be able to hold it for long. They are a thorn in my brother's flesh! LOL

So, I guess I am prejudiced towards slightly larger dogs and yet nothing big by any stretch. I've often wondered what kind of dog a sheltie would be. They look so beautiful!

Faith

Edited by FaithManor
forgot something

We have not had any problems with health issues yet. He is 2 now and doing wonderful. The only thing I know we have to do daily is wipe his butt and and such for him. He cannot reach himself. Which actually is a plus. I hate dogs doing that and then trying to lick me. YUCK! lol

I take mine everywhere with me. He does wonderful in the truck. He loves to sit in a car seat. I think he thinks he is a big dog that way and can see out the window.

I didn't read all the replies but wanted to put a plug in for Papillons. We have 3 and they are the best small dog! They are very smart and easy to train. They have a great personality. They have plenty pf energy to play with kids when they want to but are also content sleeping in their laps while watching a movie.

http://www.papillonclub.org/

This link will give you a little info on them. By far the best dog breed we have ever owned.

We have a bichon-maltese and he is the sweetest little guy.

http://www.maltesemaniac.com/bichon-maltese.html

He has the tight curls of the bichon but his belly and head is soft. He gets groomed about every 2-3 months.

He barks a lot, but my aunt has the same dog and hers doesn't. He is very loyal and we call him polar bear because he looks like a baby polar bear when someone holds him.

He is almost 3 and still as cute as a pup!

We are having a blast with our black cocker spaniel. He is small enough to hold on our laps, but just big and sturdy enough to not have the tendancy to be underfoot or easily injured from being stepped on like the smaller breeds.

So, I guess I am prejudiced towards slightly larger dogs and yet nothing big by any stretch. I've often wondered what kind of dog a sheltie would be. They look so beautiful!

Faith

Our black Cocker Spaniel died this last winter, he was 15yr old. Now he was not a kid friendly dog at all, quick to nip at kids, very protective of food, only liked some people. Yet he was part of the family and we loved him. I would not ever get another one.

Shelties are awesome dogs! We had a black and white one. I loved her. The best dog we ever had. She was playful, friendly, smart (one of the smartest dogs I have ever seen), protective, loved kids and people. The only thing she did that of course come from her breed is she was forever herding up the kids. If they were in the yard playing she made sure she herded them up all together, she never nipped any of them. But she did occasionally push them a bit.

We have a miniature poodle - not toy size. SHe is small for a mini and is 10 pounds. Poodles are very smart, and she is very loving. She loves to play ball and chase with my son. Is willing to sit with you while you read. She is calm. Everybody loves our Penny. We have had two families tell us that if we ever need to leave her, they would babysit her. We take her everywhere with us in the car and on long trips. We have a little harness for her to be buckled in to keep her safe. A purebred poodle is now cheaper than a poodle mix. I groom her myself and save the money. She certainly does not sport the poodle cut, but she looks cute. Most people don't realize that she is a poodle. There is NO shedding and I am not allergic to her like I am to my sister's Westie. Can you tell I love my dog. I always thought I wanted a big dog, but for our lifestyle a little dog is so much easier. The kids can easily walk her, pick her up etc.. My neighbor's have a black lab and the kids can't help as much; the dog is their father's pet. Have fun with your new member of the family.

We have a Peek-a-poo which is a pekingese and a poodle mix. She's smart as a whip, super affectionate and cute as a bug. I just love that little critter to death. She wasn't too difficult to potty train however she still expects a treat to this very day for going poop. It's funny to watch her go potty and then make a dash for the door to start her treat time dance. The biggest disadvantage to her and I'm pretty sure to her entire breed is separation anxiety. They get very attached to their people and are really sad when they are gone. I think us being home all day has probably contributed to that problem because she is use to someone being home nearly all the time so the rare times we are all gone are really hard on her.

Oops, forgot to mention that she doesn't shed. Love that!

Edited by slr1765

I have to vote for miniature longhaired dachshunds. We have two and they are very affectionate and really don't shed that much. In the past we have had a shorthaired dachshund and a longhaired dachshund at the same time and the shorthaired dog's shedding was much more noticable.

She was far enough behind that she wasn't in danger, but close enough to see everything.

To this day, I'm not sure who I'd like to punch more...the idiot mother who kicked the dog, or the driver that thought SPEEDING on freaking Hallowe'en was a smart plan :glare:

I'm so sorry Imp! For you and for your Diva! How very awful for her! :crying:

Someday I want one of those, preferably the Blenheim (just because it's the color of the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel in my favorite book, the Little White Horse :D ). They're so pricey, though, so it will probably be quite awhile before I can justify the cost. ;-)

My dd's mil has two that I fell in love with when I visited them a couple of years ago. :-)

My sweet dog, Darci, is a Blenheim! She is sooooo pretty!!! She even has the "thumbprint" on her forehead.

They are expensive! I am so embarrassed by that. I never tell anyone what I spent on just a pet! I am not one that has flashy clothes, a fancy house, jewelry....but I bought this dog!!!! I researched long and hard. I am really a cat-lover. I just never could find any other breed that I liked as much. And I LOVED the CKC Spaniels that I saw! I finally took a deep breathe, saved my Christmas/Birthday $$$ and all my kids for that year, ate a bit more out of our checking account and turned over the money. We spent $1,200! *gasp!*

Yes. I am embarrassed. Yes. It is horrible to spend that kind of money on a pet. Yes. It is surely wasteful and irresponsible.

But I have to say....I've never had one regret! This breed so truly suits me! I don't think I would ever want any other kind of dog. It's the perfect dog for someone who loves a gentle, soft lap dog that also loves to romp and play with your kids!

We had a mini schuazer when I was a kid, and the dog was insane. We learned after getting him that many of that breed are a little, well, neurotic.

Also, their hair is naturally longer and very curly and will mat unless you either keep them shaved/groomed or brush frequently.

Edit: One more thing - They are not born with those perky little ears. They are born with floppy ears which, at least when I was a kid, are usually surgically altered. I couldn't stand the idea of doing that to my puppy, so we didn't. And the dog had ear infections and problems for the rest of his life.

We have a 5-year-old Miniature Schnauzer, and we've had him since he was a puppy. He has been a great dog for us. He was easy to house train, doesn't shed, and is great with kids. He tends to bark a lot around strangers, but isn't yappy in general.

He does require a lot of grooming. His hair mats very easily if we don't keep it groomed, and it can get expensive since we take him to a dog groomer instead of doing it ourselves. We did not have his ears cropped, and he hasn't had any issues with ear infections.

He is a sturdy little dog, and weighs about 18 pounds. Definitely not tiny, but not a big dog by any means.

I don't know if this is small enough for you, but cocker spaniel. We have one and he LOVES kids. He will follow them anywhere. The con? Hair...there's lots of it and to have it shaved costs almost $50 here. Amazingly, the hair doesn't shed until it gets on the long side.

We also have a rotti (NOT small, I know, just have to give the breed good press) who is a super big baby.