Menu

Plantar Wart Removal?

:confused:

My boy has 2 plantar warts on his foot, one which the dr. said looks very deep. We cannot use creams/gels on him because he's always eating his feet. :tongue_smilie: They're giving us a month to try to get rid of them before we go in to freeze them off. He said it will be painful. My boy has severe autism and will not tolerate this well at all. So we're going to try to rub them off with a pumice stone after a long soak in the bath. Is there any other trick anyone knows off? Any natural oils or anything that could help?

:confused:

Is there any other trick anyone knows off? Any natural oils or anything that could help?

I don't have any direct experience with this, but wanted to pass along my absolute favorite website for natural cures: http://www.earthclinic.com. It's a repository of folk remedies that people contribute from all over the world (so it's not a manufacturer's website trying to sell you something). I've tried several remedies from this site for various things, and most of them have worked in some fashion.

Just checked and it seems the #1 cure listed on this site for warts (including plantar warts) is banana peels! Apparently this is attributed to the high amounts of potassium inside the peels. The "recipe" is either to rub the inside of a little piece of a banana peel on the wart every night or scrape off the inside of a peel, apply it as a poultice on top of the wart, and cover with a band-aid (they say you should see results within one to two weeks).

Several other reader-contributed remedies are listed for warts as well - here's the direct link to the page: http://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/warts.html

I'm not affiliated with this site in any way - I just find it so helpful that I like to pass it on...

Hope you find something that works! :)

Well, I just have to tell you my dd has a wart on her hand that is so stubborn. We froze it several times last summer but it just grew back. This summer we have been more aggressive with the freezing treatment - once a week for 3 weeks, then twice waiting two weeks between treatments. Then between our vacation and our doctor's vacation we waited 5 weeks until the next treatment and by that time it started growing back! Each time we went to the doctor it cost us $20 for a co-pay and our insurance was charged $170 I think. I am all ears if there is a way to rid these things! I don't know about the foot, but with the hand there are lots of nerves there and it can be painful.

Both my boys got rid of warts using banana skin. After showering at night, cut a small piece of banana skin and place it with the inside face against the skin. Put a bandage/plaster over it and leave it in place over night and - if possible - for the whole of the next day. At night, shower and replace with fresh banana skin. Repeat until the wart starts to separate from the surrounding skin. At that point it might come out with the banana skin, or you might be able to gently pull it out with your fingers - it won't hurt at this stage because it will be dead.

Hobbes' warts took about a month to go black and then come away. Calvin's took longer - maybe two months at least? My doctor recommended trying this. He said that it seemed to work best with younger children - perhaps their immune response is different?

You can do an online search and find other testimonials for the method.

Laura

I had one that I got rid of by using pumice stone, a razor blade and wart cream. I would scrape it with a razor blade, then the pumice stone them put on the wart cream. If I didn't use the razor blade first, the wart cream would just shift off, and burn the skin around the wart. It took me a good 6 months to get rid of it. it was very deep and large. It was so painful to walk on, Like walking with a stone in your shoe all the time.

Ohmigosh,don't do all this expensive or painful stuff! (you might want to try the banana peel thing, though)

Did this for my son: covered the wart completely with one of those round bandages that have a raised edge on the underside. (like, for a corn) Made sure it had a tight seal. Changed to a fresh one in the morning and night, or as needed if it somehow fell off. After a while (a few days) the wart area turned white. Continued with the bandages even though it looked gross. After a few more days it kind of hardened up and then fell completely off his foot. The skin below was a little wrinkled, but recovered just fine.

No pain. No expense. We smothered it.

Good luck!

I got rid of about 5 plantar warts with a GREAT product called Thuja. It's a natural cream available from a health food type shop.

I just put some on, and cover it with either duct tape or sticking plaster. Then you could cover the whole foot with a stretchy bandage to stop him picking off the tape, if he's likely to do that.

You can replace the Thuja and coverings daily, or leave them on for a few days. After several weeks (and I missed a few days here and there) they should be going. If they are deep, the pumice on it every night, then a fresh dressing/cream should help.

This cream does not burn surrounding skin - it's completely natural. I've used it on my nephew's warts (on his hand) which he had frozen several times to no avail, and the Thuja after one application, which stayed on about 3-4 days, reduced it to nothing!

Please don't let the dr's give you a deadline. If they are not a significant health risk, there's no reason why they should dictate that to you. Try whatever you want and take as long as you want.

But I must say that Thuja is THE BEST!!!

All of my boys have had warts. Ds15 had 30+ on his hands and others on Is legs and the bottom of his foot. We tried freezing, Compound W, and vinegar. Finally we had him taking lot of Vitamin C every day and that did the trick . The Vitamin C worked for all my boys.

I hope you find something that works!

Cindy

I went to the dr for warts on the soles of my foot as a kid. He pared at it with a knife and had me put some cream on it. Months later it was still there. We gave up. A year or so later, it was gone.

Definitely not worth going to the doctors.

Do the warts really bother him? If not, I'd ignore them. I've had some on my feet for 20 years no. I occasionally pumice them but that's it.

Duct tape, banana peel, and apple cider vinegar. That is how I got rid of my kids plantar warts. It wasn't quick. Definitely took about a month. It probably would have gone quicker if it wasn't summer and the kids were in the pool most of the day.

What I did:

At night before bed I would clean the area with the acv. Then I would place a piece of banana peel over the wart and cover it with duct tape. In the morning I would again swab the area with acv and then place new duct tape on. Eventually it came off in the pool and I would replace it again at night.

Duct tape!

Scrub the area with a washcloth or pumice stone (to remove dead skin), as well as he'll let you. When it's dry, cover it with a piece of duct tape just a bit larger than the wart. Leave it as long as he'll tolerate it, then do it again, daily, until it's gone.

It's best if you just leave the duct tape on until it falls off after a few days, then replace it after washing/pumicing, but if you must, put the duct tape on when he sleeps each night so it'll stay on for a few hours. Even if he takes it off in the morning, it'll work eventually. After a while, the wart just disappears, leaving no wound or sore spot.

Also, if he's not taking any supplements for immune support, consider giving him some supplements that help fight viruses, like "ViroStop" enzymes, vitamin C, and thuja homeopathic. (Be aware that homeopathic pills contain some milk by-products, so you can't use them if you're avoiding casein/dairy.)

HIH!

Lisa

We took our dd to a pediatric dermatologist who was an MD and a PHD (yes both and I"m not sure why??) bc she had warts under her big toenail, extending the whole length. They applied 1 drop of DPCP every 3 weeks for a few months and it resolved. They put a bandaid on it and then she often went swimming shortly afterwards and it did the job. It may not stay on the skin long enough to cause a problem with his eating.

My daughter had two seriously deep warts on her feet. We saw the podiatrist once a month for about 6-7 months. He would scrape as much as he could and we would use the pumice stone every night and then put some medicine on it.

We did blast it once (whole thing took less than a minute). My daughter is a bit of a hypochondriac so she said it hurt. A quick trip to Starbucks and she was pain free. :001_smile:

We initially tried a dermatologist who was clueless how to get rid of the warts.

SillyAutismMan had one removed when he was a small boy - the doctor used a laser, "like a light saber, Joe", to burn it off. It was quick, and french fires had been promised to help Joe sit still. Then home, fries, and Star Wars videos to keep him off his foot for a spell.

Good luck.

We had not noticed the wart so it had gotten very big and deep. Bad Mom! The "root" of the wart was deep - nothing we did at home (and we tried) could reach/kill the sucker!

Edited by JFSinIL

A typical wart can be removed with duct tape, banana peel and so on, but a plantar wart is a different kind. I had one as a child, sort of looks like a callous with a hole in the middle (mine did). You might even think there is a splinter in it or thorn. Feels like there is one in there too. I had to have mine removed in the doctors office over several visits. He cut some out and put a mild acid on it. After a few visits it was removed.

A typical wart can be removed with duct tape, banana peel and so on, but a plantar wart is a different kind. I had one as a child, sort of looks like a callous with a hole in the middle (mine did). You might even think there is a splinter in it or thorn. Feels like there is one in there too. I had to have mine removed in the doctors office over several visits. He cut some out and put a mild acid on it. After a few visits it was removed.

They came out with banana peel. I had tried duct tape before and it didn't work. I know what they look (and feel) like because I had had them previously.

Laura

Duct tape has worked for me. I've heard that you want to "suffocate" the wart, and that's what duct tape does. I just keep it covered, all the time, with duct tape. Once/day or so, I soak it in hot water, and file it down (pumice stone, for example). Then, I dry it and put on a fresh piece of duct tape. It really has worked, but you have to keep it up for at least a month or two.

The podiatrist that just removed my daughters from her foot said home remedies will not work on a plantar wart. He also said warts do not have roots or seeds that was a myth. A wart is a virus. They froze hers off twice, she is 6 she barely cried. After freezing it twice it only grew bigger. She had to finally wind up getting it cut out. Then they put this stuff called acid something on it and wrapped it in a plaster for a few days. After a few days I took it off her skin was a little pink and it was gone.

I want to add this thing started as a small blister that wound up being the size of a quarter. Untreated plantar warts can spread he also told me. It may take years but he said they can start to spread clusters. I asked him about home remedies and he said plantar warts are in a league of their own. You might get another wart off that way but not a plantar.

I am sure you will find another person that will disagree but I am just telling you waht her doc said. Good luck those things are nasty!

Thank you everyone, I will try the banana peel and duck tape along with the pumice. Everyone is so helpful! Thank you!

The podiatrist that just removed my daughters from her foot said home remedies will not work on a plantar wart. He also said warts do not have roots or seeds that was a myth. A wart is a virus. They froze hers off twice, she is 6 she barely cried. After freezing it twice it only grew bigger. She had to finally wind up getting it cut out. Then they put this stuff called acid something on it and wrapped it in a plaster for a few days. After a few days I took it off her skin was a little pink and it was gone.

I want to add this thing started as a small blister that wound up being the size of a quarter. Untreated plantar warts can spread he also told me. It may take years but he said they can start to spread clusters. I asked him about home remedies and he said plantar warts are in a league of their own. You might get another wart off that way but not a plantar.

I am sure you will find another person that will disagree but I am just telling you waht her doc said. Good luck those things are nasty!

No offence, but I don't think this dr. knows what he's talking about. Many doctors refuse to give credit to anything that has not had laboratory tests to approve/disprove things, or funding to do such or that has acquired FDA approval, but that doesn't really mean jack and doesn't negate the effectiveness of so many natural methods. It's just a level of ignorance I've seen in (many) doctors and I see that as a red flag. I'm not going to get into everything this doctor said, but Plantar warts do have a black core or root, it is not a myth. :confused: You can see it and pull it out if you're brave enough. I don't know why he'd go on and on about things he obviously doesn't know about. Once again a medical practitioner has proven that we are in charge of our medical knowledge and we cannot rely on them. :glare:

I do believe he's right that they're in a league of their own, and they are tough to get rid of, but that's about it. ;)

Our family doctor told us to try the duct tape method before anything else. It really worked! Both my husband and son had plantar warts, prob picked up at the YMCA, and now they do not.

The duct tape method was easy and painless. I would give it a try.

Or doctor directed us to a website by a podiatrist (now I can't find it, of course) where he conducted his own study. The duct tape did a better job at removal than the podiatrist burning them off. I guess they have a high rate of re-occurrence?

My son and my husband have not had a return of the warts.

I got rid of about 5 plantar warts with a GREAT product called Thuja. It's a natural cream available from a health food type shop.

[snip]

But I must say that Thuja is THE BEST!!!

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

You can use thuja as a cream OR in tablet form. DH had plantar warts on both feet, so many/big that the doc wanted to do surgery to remove them and put him on crutches for weeks while his feet healed. I had used the thuja tablets for DD when she had 2 little plantar warts on the side of her big toe (worked in less than 2 wks) and convinced DH to try it. His were big and numerous enough that it took about 6-8 wks but his are GONE, no surgery.

http://www.amazon.com/Boiron-Thuja-Occidentalis-30c-pellets/dp/B0006NXG3Y

This is the brand we used for both of them. DD's were gone within 1 bottle of taking it per the instructions on the bottle and DH's took 3-4 bottles but it was so worth it!

My youngest had the worst case on her knees that that doc had ever seen. Duct tape didn't touch them, nor did the acid from the blister beetle (that's the acid that folks are talking about). We froze and froze and back they came, worse than ever. We ignored them for months, did one more round of freezing and they disappeared. Her body finally fought them off. She has a lot of scarring from it.

Middle dd has AMAZING plantar warts and has had them so long that the calluses had grown over them. Rounds and rounds of cutting them with a scapel, sanding, freezing and they're back again, with new ones all over her arch. She needs to go in again this week and start all over again. They'll cut until they bleed and and then freeze--it's a good thing that dd has a high pain tolerance!

Your middle DD's warts sound like DH's... He had them for years and they covered the bottoms of his big toes and the balls of both feet. Thuja pills (http://www.amazon.com/Boiron-Thuja-Occidentalis-30c-pellets/dp/B0006NXG3Y) took care of them in about 2 months without any pain.