Menu

Pajamas

When I was a kid I had a best friend who didn't wear underwear to bed - I thought it was the strangest thing :001_huh: I remember asking her one time if she wasn't afraid a cockroach would crawl up there while she was sleeping :lol: Obviously I was raised to wear underwear under pj's and so do my kids - my DD wears nightgowns and is not ladylike - I'm sick of seeing bare bums in my house :glare:

We dress everyday. If I don't I slouch around getting nothing done. I somehow acquired the idea that not dressing your children daily meant you were a lazy mother. I remember when I was a kid I overheard my mum discussing her friends and saying " and I went over to her house at lunchtime and all her kids were still in their pajamas" in a tone that meant it was a bad thing :D

I post pics of my kids on my blog all the time so I guess I don't want my mum to write a comment about my kids "still being in their pajamas" :lol:

When they were little I'd let my kids stay in their pjs. Six is still little to me. My 14dd will ask to stay in hers through school if we aren't going anywhere. I will let her, but her pjs look like real clothes. It is a rare day during the regular school day when we aren't up and out, so it's a treat.

Nope. I make my kids all get dressed in the morning. And brush their hair and teeth too! :)

For us it's part of our routine. And that way it's special on the days we do get to wear our pjs.

Oh. And we wear underwear under our pjs. :)

:iagree: this is how it is at our house. It seems strange to wear pjs all the time, not that you who do so are strange iykwim.:tongue_smilie: I don't find my regular day clothes uncomfortable.:)

DS would happily stay in his PJs all day. But, just in case we end up wanting to run out, I prefer having everybody dressed, most of the time.

I usually let him have a "jammie day" a few times a month. But, other than that, the deal is that if he won't get dressed, he can't go out to play if a friend comes over. So that usually entices him to get dressed.

Okay, I feel weird mentioning this, but I wear underwear under my pj's too. And so do my kids. Is that not normal? Dh does not, but I thought it was just a guy thing....

I do wear underpants under my PJs, but the bOOks hang free. They're tired and need a break. :lol:

Oh, we do wash our faces, brush our teeth etc . . . but we just wear pajamas.

I love this. It is so funny! I totally agree the the bOOks need a break, but I'm gonna have on the undies. So are my girls. So is my dh, which are his pjs. Don't tell him I told y'all that. Lol

We, too, can spend most of the day in pjs, but I usually get dressed right out of bed. The girls will go from pjs to bathing suits so they don't have to change after school. Once lessons are done, they can run from the room and hit the pool with no waiting. Lol

The only thing I do require is some sort of covering. Nobody needs to see that. Lol. Except blankets. I, too, dispize the blanket. And toys. No toys in the classroom.

I have never, ever heard the "air things out" theory. Now THAT'S weird. I and my kids always wear underwear with pajamas. I even always wear a bra. I don't like going without one- I like the 'support'.

My kids and I bathe in the evening, because I like clean bodies in clean beds. (I could say here that I think people who shower in the morning are filthy pigs because they wallow in their sweat/dirt all night long......but I won't.....because that would be rude!) Of the days we're not going anywhere (although there aren't THAT many of them) we probably stay in PJs 1/3 of them.

I'm not going to bother being offended that some people think were slovenly, I have better things to do......BUT I do have a question for the people who think we're slovenly/lazy. Is it equally slovenly/lazy to come home from an activity and put pjs on hours before you go to bed? Say for example, 6 pm. If my family got up and got dressed and was out doing activities all day, came home at 5 and by 6 everyone was in pjs watching a family movie and eating junk food. Is THAT lazy and slovenly? People are more likely to 'stop by' in the evening than in the morning.

We wear school uniforms

They are plaid

They are flannel

They are sold in the pj section.

:lol::lol::lol:

I don't care what they wear to the table. I do want teeth brushed (no smelly breath please) and I do want brushed hair or at least no bed-head. Other than that, they can come to the table dressed how ever they want (with or without underwear LOL I really don't care)

:iagree:

We're professional pajama wear-ers, but I don't think we're uncivilized - - just casual and fun.

^ I love that! My family would say I'm a professional pajama wear-er. They are my clothing of choice, and I own a lot of different kinds of pjs - winter, summer, company-acceptable, less company-acceptable.

As long as we're home, my kids have always been allowed to choose how they dress for the day.

^ I love that! My family would say I'm a professional pajama wear-er. They are my clothing of choice, and I own a lot of different kinds of pjs - winter, summer, company-acceptable, less company-acceptable.

As long as we're home, my kids have always been allowed to choose how they dress for the day.

Company-acceptable.:confused: You mean if you are having overnight guests or visitors during the day?

My six-year-old has recently asserted that since she is home schooled, she shouldn't have to change out of her pajamas unless we're actually leaving the house.

My gut reaction is that people should get dressed when they get up in the morning, but I don't really have a good reason, and wonder if this is one of those areas where I should just let her do her own thing. Wearing pajamas doesn't seem to negatively impact her ability to do schoolwork, and she does get dressed quickly when we actually need to leave the house.

It is easier for ME if everyone is dressed when we start the day, because I don't need to allow time for getting dressed and combing hair in my mental countdown for leaving the house. But maybe I should just get over it?

Opinions from all points of view welcome.

Well, ask yourself this. Do you want to teach her that slovenliness and and careless attitude is okay at home? If that is okay with you, then allow her to wear pajamas all day. What you teach her about personal hygiene now will have a lasting impression on her later. Getting dressed isn't about clothing choices, it's about a hygiene habit that does affect attitudes about many other things.

Well, ask yourself this. Do you want to teach her that slovenliness and and careless attitude is okay at home? If that is okay with you, then allow her to wear pajamas all day. What you teach her about personal hygiene now will have a lasting impression on her later. Getting dressed isn't about clothing choices, it's about a hygiene habit that does affect attitudes about many other things.

I'm honestly not sure if this is a joke or not. Are you being serious? How are pjs unhygienic?

I'm honestly not sure if this is a joke or not. Are you being serious? How are pjs unhygienic?

I'm not joking. I didn't say they were unhygienic. I said staying in pajamas all day is not good personal hygiene. Personal hygiene is about more than mere cleanliness -- although that is a large part of it.

I'm not going to argue this with you. I personally think being in pajamas all day as a matter of routine is egregiously slovenly and teaching very poor habits to kids. Obviously, pajama fans are going to disagree. I think that the chasm between my opinion and those of pajama fans is so wide, it is uncrossable.

I think the OP should continue to have her kids get dressed, if for no other reason than it is a good personal habit to cultivate. It is distressing that so many people seem to think it is just fine to live in pajamas. Those are not my kids, so do whatever you want with yours, YMMV, whatever floats your boat, have at it, and yada yada.

This same child insists on wearing underwear with her pajamas. Go figure.

Oh I have a good reason: day clothes and night clothes.

And day clothes have undies under them. And, that's proper for daytime.

I just assumed everyone wore undies with jammies. I learn something new everyday.

Kelly

My kids (and I) have a different attitude if we don't get dressed in the morning. We started out last year wearing pjs during the day, but I found that they were less motivated, less ready, and less agreeable in pjs. The "relaxation" mentality went with the clothes. Even I found myself less likely to do what needed to be done and instead be lazy. Once I started making us all get up, get dressed, and get groomed before breakfast our days were much better. Our new "no clothes no food" policy had really helped us get more done and stay on track. Sometimes, especially in the depths of a NE winter, we will have "cozy days" and stay in pjs but it is a treat.

Edited by urpedonmommy

I just assumed everyone wore undies with jammies. I learn something new everyday.

Kelly

Hahaha, this is the funniest. As a kid, I remember my mother taking off her undies when sleeping (she was divorced so no naughty stuff meant here), and I wondered. Still not sure why people would be without nether garments!!

BTW, I totally agree with Audrey. The only one fighting me on getting dressed is my wondrous ds 15 who is also challenging me on school and life in general (thus the correlation, if I may say so :D ).

I had to ask my mother to stop posting pajamas over for dd. I guess she thought it was a grandmotherly thing to do or something, I don't know, but dd refuses to wear them. She won't even wear the purple ones with the silver sparkles and when a 4 year old girl turns her nose up at purple with sparkles, you know she is serious.

Rosie

:lol:

I

It is distressing that so many people seem to think it is just fine to live in pajamas.

Distressing? How on earth?

How would people even KNOW if someone was in their jammies all day when most are dressed when company comes or when they go out?

I don't get this "slovenly" thing and find it very extreme for something as simple as pajamas INSIDE one's own home. If you can't be comfortable at home, then where can you be? (and I'm one that generally is always up and dressed for the day with an occasional PJ day)

And pjs with no undies totally gives me the skeevies....I think I would feel dirty if I tried that. lol

I'm not joking. I didn't say they were unhygienic. I said staying in pajamas all day is not good personal hygiene. Personal hygiene is about more than mere cleanliness -- although that is a large part of it.

I'm not going to argue this with you. I personally think being in pajamas all day as a matter of routine is egregiously slovenly and teaching very poor habits to kids. Obviously, pajama fans are going to disagree. I think that the chasm between my opinion and those of pajama fans is so wide, it is uncrossable.

I think the OP should continue to have her kids get dressed, if for no other reason than it is a good personal habit to cultivate. It is distressing that so many people seem to think it is just fine to live in pajamas. Those are not my kids, so do whatever you want with yours, YMMV, whatever floats your boat, have at it, and yada yada.

Obviously the gulf is too wide to cross as you say - because none of this explains to me *why* it's so horrible to you. I can understand the people who feel that getting dressed helps them really start the day and have a different attitude. However, if someone is able to be more productive if they're comfortable then isn't that the very opposite of slovenliness? To me, there are a lot of good habits worth teaching kids, but getting dressed for its own sake just isn't one of them - working hard, listening, cleaning up, even presenting yourself well outside in the world (you know, by getting dressed to leave the house) - are important. But I'd rather teach my kids that home is a place to be comfortable.

*why* it's so horrible to you.

I already explained that. It's a horrible example/lesson to teach children. But as I also said YMMV so yada yada.

But I'd rather teach my kids that home is a place to be comfortable.

And so do I. I just don't do it through sloppy personal grooming. But again, YMMV so yada yada.

LOL- this is dripping with the judgement I mentioned earlier. And do tell, what do you consider Hygeine other than soap, water, toothpaste, toothbrush, deodorant and a comb? There is nothing UNhygeinic about pajamas. Good Grief.

LOL- this is dripping with the judgement I mentioned earlier. And do tell, what do you consider Hygeine other than soap, water, toothpaste, toothbrush, deodorant and a comb? There is nothing UNhygeinic about pajamas. Good Grief.

Yet again... I didn't say it was unhygienic.

I also said "whatever floats your boat" so please... continue to float your boat.

Audrey, you've been very blunt lately and not at all caring if you insult people. I hope things are going OK for you in your life, because I don't remember you being like this before.

Oh I think I'm usually blunt, but lately... I'm pretty tired of people not willing to take what they dish out. If you want to be judgmental, I can throw that right back out there.

Like they'd care what was going on in my life anyway. As if.

If someone is going to judge me as slovenly, and assume that I am an incompetent parent, just because we don't get dressed in real clothes first thing in the morning, then they are not someone I will ever talk to willingly nor ask their opinion about anything, because I think that's just incredibly b****y. I have plenty of wonderful, understanding, live-and-let-live friends in my life and don't need rude and cruel friends.

Well, I think you've developed enough friends in this forum that people do care. In the past I've read a lot of insightful things from you - and I do miss that. If the bad apples are getting you down, maybe take a break from the forum, because it seems like you're taking your frustration out on people who aren't "asking for it." I'm ready to take a similar break because my "ignore" list is growing and yet the snark still gets to me. Everyone else I just send to ignore but I just felt that maybe you had an underlying reason for being short.

Edited by ondreeuh

If someone is going to judge me as slovenly, and assume that I am an incompetent parent, just because we don't get dressed in real clothes first thing in the morning, then they are not someone I will ever talk to willingly nor ask their opinion about anything, because I think that's just incredibly b****y. I have plenty of wonderful, understanding, live-and-let-live friends in my life and don't need rude and cruel friends.

I'm not assuming anything about you. Those are your inferences not my implications... but yes... I'm b*****y today. and maybe tomorrow too.. We'll see how crappy tomorrow goes.

I'm not assuming anything about you. Those are your inferences not my implications... but yes... I'm b*****y today. and maybe tomorrow too.. We'll see how crappy tomorrow goes.

Actually, it was someone else who alluded to incompetent parenting.

I'm sorry things are sucking right now. I hope they get better.

Ayeeyah, everybody judges. No one could get through life without judging. As far as I can tell, there are two styles that can be vocalised something like this:

1. I don't think you should do that. But your life isn't my business, so do what you like. I wouldn't have mentioned it if you hadn't bought the topic up. I don't really understand why you think this means I think you are an invalid person and I'm waiting for the Inquisitor from that Red Dwarf episode to catch up with you. When did I say that? I didn't. I wasn't even thinking it. Nobody is perfect, I just prefer other forms of imperfection to this one. :confused:

2. You shouldn't do that. It's bad, bad, bad, dreadful, dreadful, dreadful. I would never do that, nobody I think well of would do that so I think you are bad, bad, bad, dreadful, dreadful, dreadful and a bad mother whose kids are going to grow up to be delinquents OR if you have the luck to have a deity smile on you, they might be lucky to be be burger flippers instead of delinquents. But you know what? I'm so concerned and I love you so much, I'm going to save you from yourself by moving into your house and completely re-arrange it, and I'll even raise your children for you so you can get some discipline by getting a proper job. Actually I won't, because that will be enabling you, so I'll just remind you of the Proper Way Things Should Be Done every time you don't ask so you know I'm thinking of you. And I'm afraid I shall have to mention this to everyone we both know because I'll be embarrassed if they find out from anyone other than me because they might think I condone this sort of behaviour.

For the record, the only incidents of #2 I've seen on this forum have been stories related about boardies relatives.

Just think how unpleasant a game of Who Stole the :chillpill: From the Medicine Cabinet would be. :tongue_smilie:

Rosie

That's very clever, but it's not what I'm seeing here. I see people who say, "My policy is this, because it works for us in these ways." I have no problem with this even if I totally disagree with the policy or the reasons, because the poster isn't claiming to know what's best for everyone. She isn't telling me what to do, she is offering her perspective.

Unfortunately, there are a few people here in the habit of saying, "That is never OK. It's unacceptable. It's poor parenting. You need to do what I do which is XYZ." That's just rude. I see it here ALL the time, and it's why I have asked for advice very few times (and the times I have asked, I have been very, very sorry). It's extremely arrogant for someone to think that she knows the whole story and knows what's best. It's not "honest" or "blunt," it's a serious character flaw. Thank goodness for the ignore feature.

As the original poster, I'm very interested in your point of view here. I'm not sure I really understand WHY it's a good personal habit. I mean, some people think they have to be wearing makeup in order to be properly groomed, others think their hair needs to be "done," eyebrows waxed, legs shaved, etc. The definition of what is slovenly varies a lot.

I get dressed first thing, but my husband doesn't get dressed until he needs to leave the house. I'm sure this doesn't mean I have higher standards of personal grooming.

I definitely don't want my kids to be focused on their appearance -- I never tell them they can't wear a particular combination of colors/patterns, for example. I do insist that they brush their hair once a day, but I don't mind if their hairstyle is messy.

I'm still trying to figure out where pajamas during the daytime fall.

It's extremely arrogant for someone to think that she knows the whole story and knows what's best. It's not "honest" or "blunt," it's a serious character flaw. Thank goodness for the ignore feature.

Your post suggests that you are assuming people's judgments are coming with a whole lot of derogatory baggage that they may not actually be even thinking, and haven't explicitly stated; so it seems you are guilty of the same arrogance you are deploring. You haven't managed to avoid this that you find so objectionable, so perhaps it's part of being human and we can't eradicate it no matter how hard we try? If that's true, we need to cut other people a bit of slack, or, of course, put them on ignore... If it is not true, we would still benefit from cutting other people a bit of slack, or putting them on ignore.

Rosie

To those who've never heard of no underwear with pajamas, dare I tell you there's folks who don't wear unders even during the day? :tongue_smilie:

I can't believe I even had to type that in this kilt-loving community.

:w00t:

To those who've never heard of no underwear with pajamas, dare I tell you there's folks who don't wear unders even during the day? :tongue_smilie:

:lol::lol::lol:

I have just looked at this thread and didn't read it all.....but I did insist on getting dressed to improve attitudes to schoolwork- mainly in my son- whose attitude left something to be desired anyway. I liked our morning routine before schoolwork, which included getting dressed and chores etc and it worked for us.

But in the OP's case I wouldn't bother. The 6yo is asserting some individuality and self expression AND its not impacting on her schoolwork OR her ability to be quickly ready to leave the house. So no harm is done allowing her to stay in PJs. However...you are always free to change your mind if it starts impacting on you or her work etc.

Huh, so I have this all backwards....:lol::lol::lol:

Kidding! No commando for me. Somethings gotta hold the junk in the trunk up.

I think people should just do whatever works for them. If we are not going anywhere, the kids and I sometimes lounge about in our pj's or sloppy homewear clothes all day. I do have some professional jobs which require a bit more formal attire so I appreciate the chance to relax a bit. I am old and tired, though, and I tend to be slapdash about things that are not vital since life is so hectic so take anything I say with that in mind.

WAIT.

Wait.

You're not SUPPOSED to wear undies under jammies?

We ALL do.

Huh. Whodathunk.

Well, I'm gonna keep doing it because Dh likes unwrapping his presents.

:lol: This slays me! (I didn't know I wasn't supposed to wear underwear to bed, either...where have we been, under a rock???:tongue_smilie:)

Now, this is a phenomenon of which I am aware.:tongue_smilie:

My grandmother used to insist we not wear underwear to bed when we stayed at her house (quite often - at least once or twice a week). My mother didn't care either way.

DS takes off his underwear for bed if he changes into pj's. He'll try to get away without it during the day when we go out but I can usually catch him.

Dd usually wears nothing but underwear or a pull-up - during the day or to bed.

I always wear underwear to bed.

DH wears soft cotton shorts to bed without underwear.