Menu

A warning about the for sale boards and paypal..

When a seller asks you to pay via personal paypal to avoid fees keep in mind you have no chance of a resolution with paypal to get your money back when the seller decides not to send your item. :glare:

Yeah, that's a run on sentence and right now I just don't care I'm too annoyed. :glare:

That is all.

Edit: I originally said when a buyer wants you to pay via... I meant seller. The seller asked me to pay via personal paypal.

Edited by Momto4kids
whoops SELLER!! meant seller..

When a buyer asks you to pay via personal paypal to avoid fees keep in mind you have no chance of a resolution with paypal to get your money back when the seller decides not to send your item. :glare:

Yeah, that's a run on sentence and right now I just don't care I'm too annoyed. :glare:

That is all.

:grouphug: btdt it's hard to learn the hard way :glare: and shame on them for taking advantage.

I'm sorry this happened! I always ask for personal Paypal because of the fees (and because I know I'm not going to rip anyone off). It's annoying when the few who do rip people off ruin it for the most of us who don't.

Which is why a seller should always price their items with the fees built in.

:iagree: I'm sorry. I just did a personal payment, and although they make me weary, I always check their feedback before agreeing to do so. I haven't had a problem yet, but there's always a first time for everything...

:iagree:

OP, sorry about what happened. :grouphug: That is beyond frustrating. I hope you are not out too much money. Thank you for letting the rest of us know.

Thanks, I'm only out $16 but it's $16...it definitley could be worse. The seller has a good rating too. 10 positive no negatives. So I thought I was fine. I am still hoping maybe she went on vacation and forgot. I have emailed and messaged at least 4 times now. Nothing. I guess it's possible she sent it media mail and it just is really really slow but I have not heard from her.

When a seller asks you to pay via personal paypal to avoid fees keep in mind you have no chance of a resolution with paypal to get your money back when the seller decides not to send your item. :glare:

That is all.

Edit: I originally said when a buyer wants you to pay via... I meant seller. The seller asked me to pay via personal paypal.

I do this when I think of it. It really is more important to check out the sellers approval rate. If they have a good rating I don't hesitate to pay via personal.

Did you post on the sellers ratings? Please do.

Thanks, I'm only out $16 but it's $16...it definitley could be worse. The seller has a good rating too. 10 positive no negatives. So I thought I was fine. I am still hoping maybe she went on vacation and forgot. I have emailed and messaged at least 4 times now. Nothing. I guess it's possible she sent it media mail and it just is really really slow but I have not heard from her.

Ugh... this is what I go on when determining if I will do a personal paypal. I would have said yes to the sale too. That just stinks!

I do this when I think of it. It really is more important to check out the sellers approval rate. If they have a good rating I don't hesitate to pay via personal.

Did you post on the sellers ratings? Please do.

Her rating is good, 10 positive no neg no neutral. I will leave a rating in another week. I want to give her a little more time just in case. I was looking into my options with paypal and found this out. Just want to give others a heads up.

how much would the fees have been for the seller on a $16 item??

Robin

The fees on $16 would have been $0.76

I had this happen to me when using personal paypal. Never again. I lucked out and after 4 months the seller finally responded and gave me my money back but I was really upset all that time thinking I was out $50. I avoid this now by saying straight away when responding to a for sale post that I won't pay with personal but will be more than happy to add extra for the fees.

:grouphug: That really sucks.

Yep, I refuse to pay personal paypal. Awhile ago I pointed out the reason not to send personal paypal over here on these boards and some one argued, saying that they called paypal and told them we buy/sell over here and paypal said it was fine to send personal. I think the person misunderstood that it is fine to send personal, but no matter what, you are giving up your buyer's and seller's rights by doing it that way.

OP-there's still hope...I know I had sold something and sent it media mail to a buyer on here...$68 worth of stuff. She recieved the top of the box...nothing else except a note from the post office stating that they recieved an empty box. The lid was cut with a box cutter. The post office here HELPED me pack it...sent media mail with delivery confirmation-it was confirmed delivered, since they had a top to scan. Needless to say, I sent her back $40-and will be sending an additional book since I had an extra. I love buying and selling on here, (it helps everyone!) but it's a risk. :( Hope you get your stuff.

The fees on $16 would have been $0.76

I had this happen to me when using personal paypal. Never again. I lucked out and after 4 months the seller finally responded and gave me my money back but I was really upset all that time thinking I was out $50. I avoid this now by saying straight away when responding to a for sale post that I won't pay with personal but will be more than happy to add extra for the fees.

thanks! from a newbie who has stuff to sell!

Robin

What is personal paypal? How does this differ from regular paypal?

With personal paypal you "gift" the money, which does save the seller the fees but leaves the buyer with no recourse if the item is never received. Regular paypal costs (I think) $.30 plus 3% per transaction.

As a seller, I request regular, non-personal paypal. Yes, I request to pay the fees! It gives me the buyer's address, and protects me as a seller as well as the buyer.

As a buyer, I always pay regular paypal. If I really want the item, I might offer to pay the fees for someone who requests personal paypal. But under no circumstances will I pay with personal Paypal unless I do in fact know the seller personally. There is no recourse for buyer or seller that way.

I have found this too be true unfortunetely today, I bought something from a seller on here and it has been 6 weeks with no books still. About 4 weeks ago, she sent an email that she was sorry for the delay and would send them out that day, but they are not here still. I paid over $100 in books! I dont know what to do, I paid personal Paypal. I had no idea how it worked, just thought it was cool that you didnt have to pay fees this way.

Do you guys think I could have recourse through the bank or credit card company that I use to pay paypal through?

Maybe this would help in your case too!

I was thinking...if you pay for something and it doesn't arrive, it's a crime.

I know that if you pay with a check/mo and don't get your product, then it's a federal offense because it's a crime through the postal service.

There is a complaint form for online fraud that the federal government runs. Fraud includes when some one does not send merchandise after the buyer pays.

Perhaps filing a complaint or letting seller know you plan on filing a complaint might help you get your money back or your items. Here is the link to file a complaint.

I always pay with personal account just because I want others to pay that way as well. I lost a substanstial amount of money due to the fees on the non personal payment.

You must have received a very large amount of money for it to be a substantial amount in fees. It is only 2.9% + $.30 per transaction. So even with $500 received over 10 transactions that is only $17.50 for a net of $482.50.

I just wanted to point out Paypal is a service and the fee is your payment to them to use their service.

... IF you're a business. That's what the fees are for -- commercial businesses. As homeschoolers selling books on the side, we're not a business and they offer free Paypal for that. Just thought I mention it. I use the regular Paypal for my direct sales business, and personal Paypal for book sales.

What rating system are y'all talking about?

With personal paypal you "gift" the money, which does save the seller the fees but leaves the buyer with no recourse if the item is never received. Regular paypal costs (I think) $.30 plus 3% per transaction.

Oh, okay. I just logged in and now I see what you all are talking about. :001_smile:

I had no idea that option existed. Thanks for the info!

... IF you're a business. That's what the fees are for -- commercial businesses. As homeschoolers selling books on the side, we're not a business and they offer free Paypal for that. Just thought I mention it. I use the regular Paypal for my direct sales business, and personal Paypal for book sales.

There are three levels of Paypal accounts: Personal, Premier, and Business. On the personal accounts, folks can receive payments for free, but only from paypal balances or bank transfers. This is why you sometimes see folks requesting only non-credit card Paypal payments. This is perfectly acceptable under Paypal guidelines.

Personal Payments however are a different thing. They are only intended to be used between folks who know and trust each other, specifically friends and family. Paypal's user agreement states that:

4.1 Receiving Personal Payments. If you are selling goods or services, you may not ask the buyer to send you a Personal Payment for the purchase. If you do so, PayPal may remove your ability to accept Personal Payments.

Also, there is NO seller or buyer protection if you accept personal payments:

11.5 Items/transactions not eligible for PayPal Seller protection. The following are examples of items/transactions not eligible for PayPal Seller protection.

• Claims or Chargebacks for Significantly Not as Described.

• Items that you deliver in person, including at a retail point of sale.

• Intangible items, including Digital Goods, and services.

• PayPal Direct Payments.

• Virtual Terminal Payments.

• PayPal Business Payments.

Since personal payments do not include shipping addresses, they cannot be shipped directly through Paypal and there is no documentation tying the shipment to the payment. This is really an issue more for the buyer however. Paypal will refuse to intervene in any dispute, since it was a "Personal" transaction. The buyer has no recourse if the seller fails to deliver or the item is not as decribed:

13.2 Eligibility Requirements.

To be eligible for PayPal Purchase Protection you must meet all of the following requirements:

• Pay for the eligible item from your Account.

• Pay for the full amount of the item with one payment. Items purchased with multiple payments – like a deposit followed by a final payment – are not eligible.

• Send the payment to the Seller through:

• the eBay “Pay Now†button or the eBay invoice; or

• the “Send Money†button of your Account by selecting “eBay Item†and entering your eBay User ID and the eBay item number for purchases on eBay website; or

• the Send Money tab on the PayPal website, by clicking the “Purchase†tab, or by selecting the “Checkout with PayPal†button or otherwise selecting PayPal as part of a Seller’s checkout flow.

and:

13.3 Ineligible Items. PayPal Purchase Protection only applies to PayPal payments for certain tangible, physical goods. Payments for the following are not eligible for reimbursement under PayPal Purchase Protection:

1. Intangible items, including Digital Goods

2. Services

3. PayPal Direct Payments

As a buyer and a seller online, I find it not worth it to request or pay with Personal payments. Except with my mom, or my siblings, or a good friend. :)

There are three levels of Paypal accounts: Personal, Premier, and Business. On the personal accounts, folks can receive payments for free, but only from paypal balances or bank transfers. This is why you sometimes see folks requesting only non-credit card Paypal payments. This is perfectly acceptable under Paypal guidelines.

Personal accounts no longer can accept payments, even from Pay Pal balances or bank transfers, without a fee. ALL payments sent on the "Purchase" tab are charged 2.9%+$.30 per transaction.

(I still do not advocate using the "Personal" tab for homeschool purchases.)

I have found this too be true unfortunetely today, I bought something from a seller on here and it has been 6 weeks with no books still. About 4 weeks ago, she sent an email that she was sorry for the delay and would send them out that day, but they are not here still. I paid over $100 in books! I dont know what to do, I paid personal Paypal. I had no idea how it worked, just thought it was cool that you didnt have to pay fees this way.

Do you guys think I could have recourse through the bank or credit card company that I use to pay paypal through?

Maybe this would help in your case too!

FYI if it is within 45 days of your purchase you can open a claim...then up grade to a dispute within 20 days...that gives the buyer the protection, if you trust the person let them know that you are just filing to keep your options open.

I just posted this in the personal paypal thread over on the for sale/wtb forum, but leaving feedback is a way to help hold people accountable. It won't get your money back, but it will help the next person. I'm sorry for your bad experience. :(

Which is why a seller should always price their items with the fees built in.

:iagree:

If I want $15 for a particular item, I add $3 for shipping, and another $1 for paypal fees, making my total price $19. If the buyer wants to upgrade shipping, then it's up the buyer to pay the difference.

FYI if it is within 45 days of your purchase you can open a claim...then up grade to a dispute within 20 days...that gives the buyer the protection, if you trust the person let them know that you are just filing to keep your options open.

If you use the "Personal" tab you CAN NOT open a claim because when you use the "Personal" tab on paypal's end it looks like you weren't supposed to receive goods, it looks like you just owed a person money. For example it looks like you and a friend went out for lunch and you were short some money so she covered your bill and then you used paypal to pay her back.

I use personal unless the seller specifically asks me not too, or my buyer asks differently OR I am spending more then $25 or so.

I do lots of $8-$20 transactions and I'd have to get ripped off/packages lost in the mail/scammed a lot before one missing package would add up to all my paypal fees.

That said, I've never had a problem with a used book purchase from here or homeschool classifieds.

Personal accounts no longer can accept payments, even from Pay Pal balances or bank transfers, without a fee. ALL payments sent on the "Purchase" tab are charged 2.9%+$.30 per transaction.

There are lots of FS posts asking for non credit card payments to avoid fees, but from what I understand all transactions (except the personal tab) have fees, right? Does that mean everyone can accept credit cards for the same fees????

As a seller I prefer that buyers pay non-personal. I can then print a shipping label through Paypal, and it comes with a tracking number. Someone paid me recently as a personal payment and I went to buy/print a shipping label and that option was not available.

One time a buyer contacted me saying the book had not arrived yet. Since she had paid as if buying goods, I had tracking info and was able to show that it was delivered the day before. Turns out she had not yet checked her mail.

I agree with another poster who said the fees are part of using the Paypal service, imo just like a bank charging a monthly fee for a checking account.

As a seller I prefer that buyers pay non-personal. I can then print a shipping label through Paypal' date=' and it comes with a tracking number. Someone paid me recently as a personal payment and I went to buy/print a shipping label and that option was not available.

One time a buyer contacted me saying the book had not arrived yet. Since she had paid as if buying goods, I had tracking info and was able to show that it was delivered the day before. Turns out she had not yet checked her mail.

I agree with another poster who said the fees are part of using the Paypal service, imo just like a bank charging a monthly fee for a checking account.[/quote']

I don't like using personal, but you can still print a label with tracking if someone pays you via personal. You just have to use the link to the multi order shipping on the side of the paypal screen and then type in their name and address. I use this all the time to send my paperback swap books because then I don't have to pay the extra fee they charge for printing labels through them and I can type in multiple book swap addresses and print all the labels out at once.

I'm sorry this happened! I always ask for personal Paypal because of the fees (and because I know I'm not going to rip anyone off). It's annoying when the few who do rip people off ruin it for the most of us who don't.

Yep. I still pay this way for people on the board I "know" from interacting with them over time. I've also paid a little extra before to cover the paypal fees they incur.

So, those of you who don't want to pay the personal way (to keep seller from avoiding fees), just pay the amount they ask for, multiply that amount by 0.029 and add 30 cents. Those should be the current paypal fees. Then, pay them the normal way.

Problem solved.

There are lots of FS posts asking for non credit card payments to avoid fees, but from what I understand all transactions (except the personal tab) have fees, right? Does that mean everyone can accept credit cards for the same fees????

Correct

So, those of you who don't want to pay the personal way (to keep seller from avoiding fees), just pay the amount they ask for, multiply that amount by 0.029 and add 30 cents. Those should be the current paypal fees. Then, pay them the normal way.

Problem solved.

That's what I do, since I've been burned, I just offer to pay the fees, they really aren't that much so I'm not too worried about the little bit extra.

This issue is very confusing because Paypal has changed.

A few years ago, most sellers had two paypal accounts (one personal, one premium or business) because personal accounts had no fees, but couldn't be associated with credit cards. So if a credit card was involved, the premium account would be used, frequently with the buyer paying to cover the fees.

Now, all paypal accounts have the same requirements. Credit cards can be used. Fees are charged for every purchase transaction. The only way to avoid fees now is to lie to paypal and say that you just wanted to send someone money, but aren't purchasing anything.

Buyers and sellers are confused now thinking that fees can be avoided, that personal/non-personal accounts matter, and/or credit cards matter in the transaction. None of this matters now. There is no reason to have multiple accounts. It doesn't matter if a credit cards are used. Every purchase transaction is charged fees.