Menu

Are all Dance Studios like this???

Hi ladies, can you all please help me understand the situation at our dance studio? This is the first year DD has been taking ballet/tap. She is almost 5. I've been surprised and dismayed about the studio, but I'm not sure if I will have the same issues at any studio? Here's the situation:

DD had a recital. Costumes cost a lot, $50. We were told where to take our dancers beforehand, but it was nearly impossible to find where DD was supposed to go, because the scene was chaotic, signs were illegible, and there was noone to help. Finally we found the little ones in a dark room in the bowels of the theater. Some were crying. There was absolutely nothing for them to do there and the parent volunteers were clueless. Later on they were allowed to go in a big room with the other kids and watch the stage on TV.

The actual dance was cute because the children were so cute in their costumes, but they were not able to put 2 steps together. It got a little tiresome seeing class after class just stand there, especially when we had paid for the dance lessons and recital tickets. The older girls did dance nicely, though.

At intermission we were told to pick up our dancers from the stage. A lot of little kids were standing at the edge of the stage, crying, because they could not see their parents and their was such a crowd the parents could not find their children. One little one was screaming, "I'm too high up! help! help!" but I could not help her by taking her down because how would her parents ever find her then? And, Nobody told me that it was only the dancers from the first half who were supposed to be picked up this way. After I blundered around for a while I realized I should go get her in the other room, and there she was, looking scared.

In general, the studio has not communicated well with parents about anything-- I finally found out that there was a white piece of paper in a pile on a desk in the hall which had the info we needed, like when is picture day, when is the rehearsal & recital and about ordering costumes. Actually, picture day and costume purchase took me totally by surprise because I had no idea about either until they were asking me for a check.

We are not allowed to watch classes, and there was no "open-house" on the last day. The only place to wait is a tiny, moldy-smelling hallway with uncomfortable benches.

Is this the way all dance studios are? Do I need to make a change to another studio or make my concerns known?

BTW this studio is supposed to be the best in town, has the best reputation, and is the most expensive!

Thank you if you've read this far and for any advice!!

No!! All dance studios are *not* like this. We have participated with a studio that had the clearest communication at all times, and I never had to wonder what was going on or when. We have also had an experience, not as extreme as yours, but definitely less organized than the first. Do look around and try to talk to other parents to find out which studios are better.

Dance studios are often run by creative people and not necessarily business people. That is the case at ours.

But the issues we had this year pale in comparison to the chaos you are describing. ;) I would look around for another studio and try to get recommendations from happy parents. The other thing that helps is finding a friend at the studio who has been there long enough to feed you information before the studio gets around to posting it. :D

The only thing that might be normal is the little ones being so overwhelmed that they really don't "dance." At that age - they still need someone cue-ing them as to the choreography. I remember my daughter just standing there taking everything in when she was 3 - 4 years old!

I'm sorry that the rest of the recital was such a fiasco.

If the rest of the year was good - you could opt out of the recital until she is older. Your family could just treat the parent observation days as your "recital" and make it special afterwards with a special treat for dd.

No, not all studios are like this. That said, *some* of your frustrations are common to many/ most studios.

First, *any* recital with classes of 5yos will have groups where one or more young performers don't quite do what they're supposed to, where someone runs the wrong way, another child stands in the middle of the stage giggling and picking her nose until a helper runs on to scoop her up as surreptitiously as possible... ;) Those things are somewhat inevitable. That said, a good teacher for young ones will know how to structure a recital piece so that the children do do *something* that resembles dance, and hopefully each child will have a chance to do something on her own or with one other girl -- even if that's just run across the stage and make an attempt at a little leap or stand up and turn around then curtsy to the audience, etc. The rest of the dance would be the children together and there should be some indication that most of the children have *some* idea what they're doing. ;)

Seeing class after class of 5yos can be mind-numbing for anyone. I much, much, much prefer it when studios break their recitals up into multiple performances, none more than an 60-70 minutes and offer at least a couple of older classes in each performance so that 1) the audience doesn't burst into tears of misery, 2) so they can see where their kids are going and why they've been taking them each week.

Second, the costume fee you list sounds about mid-range. It's painful and the school *should* let you know when you sign up at the beginning of the year what the fee should be. But costume fees seem to range from about $35 (at the very low end) to $80 per costume (and sometimes much more, but I think that's insane). $50 is in the ballpark, especially if they don't charge extra for recital tickets.

Third, the communication sounds like a problem. The studio should be sending home printed material ahead of time to let you know rehearsal times, what your child should bring, pick-up procedures, things like that. I think it's perfectly reasonable to bring this up with them. "I felt out-of-the-loop and would have appreciated emails or letters sent home with my child." ... I think some amount of chaos around recital is typical. Not ideal, but normal. Not getting the information you need is a problem though.

Fourth, it sounds like they didn't do a good job of handling backstage. Crying 5yos is pretty normal. They shouldn't all be crying, of course, but some tears here and there at recital seem inevitable. But the kids should be in a room where they're safe -- reasonably well-lit, appropriate temperature, no dangerous equipment or sharp tools left lying around -- and there should be adults or teen helpers around to supervise. *Some* studios provide some activities, but often that's up to the parents. I wouldn't expect it unless the school specifically says, "We'll provide activities -- please don't bring anything." Otherwise, send some picture books, simple games without a lot of pieces, things like that. No markers, no food.

Not being allowed to watch class is typical. Not having a parent observation at *some* point during the year is *not*. I would absolutely expect 1-3 times per school year when parents are invited to watch class, usually toward the end of a session or semester.

Uncomfortable waiting areas seem to be the rule. ;) Moldy-smelling is not good though. Ick.

Are there other schools you could visit in the area?

What did you think of the older students? Were they well-disciplined with good technique? Did your daughter enjoy her teacher and learn anything through the year?

No, not all studios are like this. That said, *some* of your frustrations are common to many/ most studios.

I agree with Abbey. I've had both of my kids in dance at a few different studios over the years. And we've seen some of these things, too.

First, *any* recital with classes of 5yos will have groups where one or more young performers don't quite do what they're supposed to, where someone runs the wrong way, another child stands in the middle of the stage giggling and picking her nose until a helper runs on to scoop her up as surreptitiously as possible... ;) Those things are somewhat inevitable.

Yep. The fives are so young. The stage and looking out at the audience can be absolutely overwhelming so that, even if every dancer knew her part cold in the nice, familiar classroom yesterday, they get simply petrified at the theater. I've seen a number of studios who have either the teacher or an older student helper dance along with the littles, which I think is lovely.

Seeing class after class of 5yos can be mind-numbing for anyone. I much, much, much prefer it when studios break their recitals up into multiple performances, none more than an 60-70 minutes and offer at least a couple of older classes in each performance so that 1) the audience doesn't burst into tears of misery, 2) so they can see where their kids are going and why they've been taking them each week.

Again, agreed. We sat through my son's recital with his new studio this year. It was "only" two hours, but felt so much longer. We were nearly desperate to run out the doors the second the lights went up. It was mostly the older classes, and did have some solos and small group numbers by the older students. But it was still extremely tedious.

I realized afterward that were very spoiled by the recitals of the school my son had attended until this year. He left because it is a pre-professional ballet school, and he decided he wanted a school with a more theatrical emphasis. But I have to admit the recitals at the other school were lovely. They always had a unifying theme and often a story line.

This one . . . Not so much. Fortunately, he's not returning to that dance school in the fall, either. (He's moving to a new all-in-one performing arts studio being opened by his voice teacher.)

In general, though, I think recitals are not intended to be entertainment for the audience.

Second, the costume fee you list sounds about mid-range.

My son temporarily lost one of his two costumes for this year's recital. We had to order a replacement. The studio gave it to us for the actual price (including shipping), which was $37.

But keep in mind that he's a guy. So, his costumes usually consist of a pair of shirt, one or two accessories and occasionally a pair of jazz pants.

I do prefer it when studios give you all the costs up front and fold them in with monthly tuition so that it doesn't hit you without warning several different times during the year.

Third, the communication sounds like a problem.

It sounds awful. There should absolutely have been notices sent home, e-mails, calendars and information clearly posted on a bulletin board, etc.

I think schools that have a lot of students returning years after year tend to assume everyone knows the routine, but there should have been much more attention paid to the parents of these youngest students.

I would certainly say something, politely, and ask if this is typical. (The beloved artistic director of the ballet company associated with my son's previous dance school died unexpectedly a few years ago. All of the teachers and administration went around in a fog for a few months, and a lot of things slipped through the cracks. Things do happen that can send even a great school into a tailspin for a while.)

Fourth, it sounds like they didn't do a good job of handling backstage. Crying 5yos is pretty normal. They shouldn't all be crying, of course, but some tears here and there at recital seem inevitable. But the kids should be in a room where they're safe -- reasonably well-lit, appropriate temperature, no dangerous equipment or sharp tools left lying around -- and there should be adults or teen helpers around to supervise. *Some* studios provide some activities, but often that's up to the parents. I wouldn't expect it unless the school specifically says, "We'll provide activities -- please don't bring anything." Otherwise, send some picture books, simple games without a lot of pieces, things like that. No markers, no food.

As I said above about being on stage for the first time, the whole recital experience can be completely overwhelming for young kids.

During my daughter's first recital in a real theatre, the backstage helper had to come find me in the audience. We were going through a stressful time at home, and the unfamiliar surroundings and all of the excitement just pushed my kiddo over the edge. I got her calmed down and dressed and ready and then held my breath until she got onstage. (She did fine.)

I've also served my time backstage, usually in the boys' room. It's not the job of the volunteers to provide activities, although some do. Sometimes, the powers that be specifically ask kids not to bring things (so that they don't get lost, or if space is really tight). In that case, I would assume the school or the parent volunteers would provide quite things to keep the dancers occupied. But, if I didn't hear that, I would certainly be on the safe side and send something.

Not being allowed to watch class is typical. Not having a parent observation at *some* point during the year is *not*. I would absolutely expect 1-3 times per school year when parents are invited to watch class, usually toward the end of a session or semester.

None of the dance schools either of my kids has attended has allowed parents to watch class on a regular basis. The usual practice appears to be to offer parent observation opportunities twice per year. Again, this should be something that is communicated in advance.

Sounds close to my experience with a good studio too :)

Costumes are expensive. You don't see any practices. Ours had one open class a year to parents and grandparents, no siblings.

Recital was at a huge college theatre. I chose to just stay backstage, because there was no way anyone knew where all the kids were, and they were being allowed to leave the room to go to the bathroom. So I just chose to stay in the room with my dds and their classmates all of the years we did it. I also took crayons and things for their classmates and walked the littles back and forth to the rest rooms in groups after their parents had gone out to see the show. I would just rush backstage after performance to the room they were in between dances and miss the other performances.

yup. pretty much what everybody has said.

we have danced at the same studio for 9 years. they start at 2 1/2. the littles do cry, and just stand there on stage. Our studio has the teacher stand just offstage doing the routine.

Some children do start to 'shine' at 5. not many. my 11 year old is really starting to come into her own now, with this past recital, 2 weeks ago. we are still hoping for my 8 year old. :tongue_smilie: but I did notice some girls in her class really on another level. We don't do dance for competition; just for fun. They don't have to be the best in the class.

our costumes range from $40 to $80 and up. I had to buy 5 this year. that doesn't include the 2 irish costumes that the teacher has used the same ones for 4 years now. i can't remember how much ot was because they let me make $50 per month payments on top of my tuition.

I'll see if I can post photos. i think I uploaded 5 photos. most are my older daughter. one is my younger.

robin

Wow, no, not all dance studios are like that.

DD#1 did one year of ballet when she was 4. It was a class of 3, 4, and 5 year olds.

The recital outfit was around $50. Then there was a recital fee of like $75. It included 10 tickets.

None of the little dancers cried on stage during their recital....but I can see where they could. So I wouldn't find it abnormal.

After the littles did their piece, some of the mothers ushered them backstage to a room. There they had crayons and coloring books waiting. They watched the kids and kept them occupied. After the recital was over, the parents went backstage to that room to pick up their kids. There was no chaos or lost, crying children.

I think I'd try out another studio if your DD wants to stick with dancing.

No, not all studios are run that way. Our studio has very clear e-mail communication. They have to as my DD dances competitively and parents need quite a bit of advance notice for competitions (to schedule hotel rooms and such). I receive at least 1-2 e-mails per week with information.

Costumes are $80-$100 each from a catalog, unless you choose to do a solo/duo/trio and want a custom made costume.

The experience you had at the recital was horrible! Our room moms bring non-staining snacks and drinks, as well as activities for the younger girls. No one is allowed backstage unless they are working. Pickup of the younger girls is at a designated spot that requires parent signature. There shouldn't be anything chaotic about it.

You need to find another studio.

Ours wasn't quite that bad, but sure had a lot of similarities! This one has a good rep. as well, and I can see where it's an awesome school for the older kiddos, but really not so good for the younger ones who aren't able to function independantly.

I'm switching dance schools for a few years.

No, not at all.

Our dance studio does a great job with the recital. So super organized. They have the company girls and parents volunteer to help backstage and help the little ones.

Little ones struggle on stage. It is a lot. However, some groups and girls do shine. You will get to see that some classes have excellent teachers and have really taught their students well.

Costumes cost a lot. So do shoes and tights and the pictures.

Our studio love parents and really caters to them. They have excellent communication.

Brag alert - we had a homeschool tap group, taught by a homeschool graduate and our girls were incredible! The girls loved her, and they wanted to please her so they worked hard. It really showed how much they loved and respected her. My older dd is one of their company members, and she too, loves her ballet teacher - and WOW! did she work hard to make him proud. A great teacher makes a tremendous teacher, but you already knew that, right?!

Keep looking if your dd enjoys dance.

My daughter has been dancing for 8 years and I've never seen anything like this at her recitals.

We know the date of the spring recital when they sign up for classes in fall. Picture day is always the Sunday before and reminders are sent out via email. We always pay for costumes with our third quarter tuition fee, which is due in early January. Costumes are running about $50 per class these days. My worst complaint was in the past when costumes didn't fit well--they're doing a lot better with that now.

We've always been allowed to watch practices through the windows in the waiting area. The girls are used to it--mostly they don't pay any attention to it but give clear go away" messages to their own parents when they don't want to be watched. Often when the girls complete a dance the teachers invite parents in for their last run through of the practice so they have an encouraging and appreciative audience. This is informal--there's no formal parent observation practice. Last week I walked in and a dad and grandpa had pulled their chairs close to the window to watch--they were pretty cute. :) I peeked to see how the girls were handling it and they were paying no mind to the watchers.

The teachers for the littles clasess communicate clearly with the parents. Usually they schedule the little ones early in the program. If they are very little a teacher is right offstage where they can see them to follow moves, if needed. A few of the classes (usually the more lively, like creative) use teen helpers who dance right on the stage with the girls.

At the end the little girls are walked by the teachers to the edge of the stage stairs (up front in view of everyone) where parents get up from their seats to retreive the girls. The teachers help the girls down the stairs. They sit with parents for the rest of the program and often the little ones go home at intermission since it's such a long day for them.

Sometimes they've worked out numbers where the daddies dance with their little girls--it's waaaaay cute.

The really little ones usually can't put steps together--usually they group motions together for a segment of the music. Teachers who like this age group is essential to make it work.

There is a dress rehearsal early in the day going in order of performances so the girls know what to expect at night. Little kids would be backstage with their teacher.

Reading through this thread, I can see I have a lot to be appreciative of. If I were you, I'd be looking for another studio, and if that's not available, work your way in so you can make a difference.

Oh my. This makes me so angry. This is not the way things are at my dd's studio. She assistant-teaches 3 & 4 y/os. Ok, the costume price sounds about right. The chaos should not be. We have all the moms in the dressing rooms with the kids. They are usually all dressed and made up before they get there. They line up in a bright hallway - some get nervous and dd is there for hugs - and they all hold hands out onto the stage. This year dd was on stage dancing with them (in costume). Other years she stays in the "pit" with shoes on her hands doing the movements. After each number there are several assistants and teachers that lead them back to the dressing room. The moms have "wristband seating" which is in the front and a bit off to the side of the stage with easy access to meet their kids when they come offstage. The backstage hallway always has a table full of bottled water, snacks, and extra accessories in case someone forgot something. I can't imagine parents having to wait til intermission to pick the kids up.

The dancing should be pretty ok after a whole year of paying for classes.

Communication with parents is SOOOOO important. Emails are what makes our studio run. We didn't have them years ago and I always felt lost. Each dance room have a huge glass window so parents can watch. The SO created a really nice waiting area for each of the dance rooms.

I would switch. They're not going to change how they do things and you're going to get angrier. Visit other studios and bring a list of things you want to see (and a list of things you want to avoid!). Ask a ton of questions. Good luck.

Nope. Our studio isn't like that. They're very good about communication. A recital packet is sent out in April with all the information about picture day, ticket day, rehearsals, and recital. The packet includes a spreadsheet of which dance is when, which shoes and tights to wear, and exactly how to wear their hair. We have Peek Week on the last class of every month where either the blinds are up in the class, we get to go in at the end and watch them do their recital piece, or both. For the younger classes it's not unusual for the blinds to be up most of the time (they'll shut them if the kids get too distracted though). A $50 costume deposit for each costume is billed in November, I think, and the balance is due in April or May -- whenever it is, I know you can't purchase recital tickets until it's paid. During recitals there is a whole check-in/check-out procedure for the younger dancers (Level 3 and below, so kids who are roughly 8 or younger). Dancers need to check in, the parent is given a slip with their name on it, and only the person with the slip can retrieve the child, even if the person manning the check-in booth is a mom you have class with who sees you every day. Chaperons usually bring stuff for the kids to do, like coloring pages or whatever. Dancers who are in the first half and not in the second can be checked out during intermission. Other than a few snafus at the rehearsals, the show generally runs very smoothly. Sounds like you might want to look into other studios in your area.

ETA: As far as the little kid dances go, the first couple years they don't know much in terms of steps. In a class for a 5 year-old, I would expect more. My daughter was in 3 classes last year at age 5, and those kids weren't nearly as graceful as the older girls obviously, but they actually danced. For the first couple of years at our studio (the 3 year olds and 4 year olds) there is usually a student teacher on stage doing the moves with them and helping them into positions and such.

Edited by jujsky

No! That is not how the.ha should be run! As a dance studio owner this is how I communicate with parents:

Notes sent home, really important notes(recital packets) must be signed for, we than call if a packet was not picked up.

We email everything!

It is all on our website.

E-news matters sent regularly.

Our tuition and costume fees are online in policies that must be accepted by parents when enrolling. If someone hits accept without reading they may be a little lost.

That being said, when parents don't read the notes that are sent home things get frustrating for everyone. I would look into other studios if you want better communication and prices. Every studio has problems. We experienced MAJOR growing pains this year with recital. We went from 25 preachers to 75+ backstage was crazy. So many new parents and my staff not staying put before the show was frustrating. But, once we started all went smoothly.

If this studio has been around this may not be the case, but they could have had unforeseen growth. If it is an older studio the SO may just be set in her ways and not adapt well to new technology. I have seen many sites for atudioa with good teaching reps, but no grasp of tech. They don't use email or a website well for communication. Look at the websites of a few studios. Find one that updates regularly with important Info. That however will not guarantee quality dance training. A well trained teacher is the most important thing.

Sorry to ramble. Let me know if I can help you with any info on checking qualifications. Let me know where you are and I can see if any of my SO friends are near by.

Cheryl

No. Honestly that sounds like a shoddy and poorly run studio. I would remove her.

I'm in love with our studio. My dd will begin her 5th year in August so technically she was still 3 when she started lessons. We have a company attached and the couple who runs the school were professionals and very serious about training. They require a class leotard that is worn for class demonstrations during the performance in the spring. Students are not taking up time learning "dances." They are learning HOW to dance. They are encouraged to enroll in additional performance classes which concentrate on specific choreography. We also do not pay for these costumes. The school has a seamtress and she recyles and puts together adorable costumes. We do pay for tickets and pictures if we desire them. We can get a class pic for $5 each year. This is a simple posed pic with the instructor. We are sent emails and newsletters. There are dress rehearsals at the auditorium. There is never any confusion is you AT ALL paying attention.

My dd also is involved in that annual Nutcracker production and it is also well run. We pay a $20 costume fee for that. The school does hold fundraisers, but really it's very affordable. That said I will pay $140 a month for lessons this year, but not much in additional costs.

Costume prices are around $50 for us too

It's typical to have at least one child in the 3-5 range just stand there! Our studio has instructer on stage with this age range.

Our studio had recital at a private school. The kids who were in just 1 performance andthat would be all 3-4 years old were in cafeteria. Those that were in multiples had a special area backstage. I have no idea how it was run as I worked in cafeteria. Moms signed up to sit in cafeteria for two songs. I signed up with another homeschooling mom for a time slot before my daughters (and during one of the gazillion mime performances that irritate me to no end). I got there. Apparantly one of the moms that was there before me just got there as she forgot and so she was there for just a bit of her shift and then left when I got there. The mom I signed up with never came back to do her shift. There was no body in charge to tell me what to do. I had no idea of what was going on stage. The person who was signed up behind me came but left because she thought her daughter was going on stage. Her daughter had been called backstage to get ready but it wasn't time yet but she never came back! The mothers of children who had performed came and got their children except ONE. So I had one very young child who had performed but parent didn't come to collect. Finally I was able to flag down a parent who had child in that kid's class to to watch her so I could get back to my seat and see my own child. I barely made it.

This I blame slightly on studio. They obviously need a better system and have one person who is back there for whole show or at least one per each half of the show. However, I am very frustrated with the other mothers who signed up and then didn't do what they agreed to do!

No, they are not.

Our studio is very good at doing everything they can to make sure the parents are informed--especially the parents of little ones (we have windows, though, so most parents of littles stay and watch).

Our recital is always managed chaos--I'm sorry yours was not. :(

eta: Our costume prices are between $45-$75

The only thing that might be normal is the little ones being so overwhelmed that they really don't "dance." At that age - they still need someone cue-ing them as to the choreography. I remember my daughter just standing there taking everything in when she was 3 - 4 years old!

:iagree:

I have one 6 yo and one 7 yo at different levels. For both groups there was an older girl assigned to dance with their group. Basically, it gave them someone to follow who knew what she was doing. :001_smile:

If I were you, I'd probably keep looking. Unless all the alternatives are truly bad, it's not necessary to settle for what you're getting at your current studio.

I'm not IN the studio with either of my girls, but the classrooms have windows where we can watch. The director of the studio has the drop-off/pick-up routine down to a science. The communication is reasonable - not great, but not horrible. And the director seems to really understand what the dancers need both physically and emotionally at every level. Good studios are out there!

Sounds bad. Total lack of communication. That's unfortunate.

Our only experience with dance lessons was when oldest dd was about that age. We went to the local teaching college for dance classes. The first time was in this old decrepit building. The parents had to wait on these couches in a nearby room. Every few lessons we could sit in and watch. To me...it was silly stuff....like running and jumping over a paper puddle. I understand that you need to start easy....but I think they were capable of learning a little more. When recital time came, we didn't have to buy costumes (thank goodness) and when it was dd's classes turn....they performed one dance on stage. It was the macarena. Really?? I could have taught her that in 5 minutes at home. The second time we did dance it was in a better building of the college and the parents had to wait out in the hallway. Guess who was the only one to wait in the hallway? Me and ds. Sometimes there was a chair....sometimes not. All the other parents just dropped their kids and took off. The recital that time was just for parents....and it was cute; they did several different routines....I remember one was to a Britney Spears song. :001_smile:

I have to say.....I really do not miss those days of going to dance class.

I agree with what the previous posters have said. Might I suggest that you look at a smaller studio, if there is one available? Our experiences with our small studio have been overwhelmingly positive. While small, the studio teaches rigorous Royal Academy ballet, with lots of personal attention to the dancers. The studio's owner is an experienced and highly trained dancer, who has been teaching for 25 years. She does much of the instruction herself, which is such a benefit. She also brings in professional ballerinas (usually former students) to teach at summer "Ballet Camps". Because the recital only features one of each class, it is fun to watch and extremely organized, with backstage activities for the kids and lots of helpers backstage. The older girls also watch over the younger ones, fostering a really neat relationship. My daughters LOVE the older girls, and look up to them. We also have open class once a month for the parents to watch, which I really enjoy.

I know not every small studio is like this, but perhaps there would be one in your area?

Costumes are also $50 here, but what gets my goat is that the boys will often get a $12 shirt while the girls get a $60 dress (I have two boys). They just charge everyone the same, but the dancers definitely don't get the same (in terms of cost of the costume).

Lol, last year, ds got a shirt and cummerbund for one class and a different cummerbund (wore the same shirt) for the second class! That was the most expensive shirt EVER. ;)

Sigh.

Have you seen BoysDanceToo? I love their little blue t-shirts for boys. Ds has a uniform shirt to wear to class, but I encourage him to wear the BDT shirt for rehearsals and such. ;) Sometimes they need a reminder!

No, not all studios are like that, but many studios have some or all of the problems you mentioned. Parents whose daughters go to our local studio complain about high costume fees, pricey recital tickets, and little ones just standing on stage. We drive into the city for a smaller ballet school with a pre-professional program. They are very organized and very professional. We have never experienced any of the problems you mentioned.

For comparison, our ballet school:

-has windows so that you can see into the studios and observe class

-has visitors' weeks in Feb where parents are invited to attend class and take pictures

-communicates regularly by email (they actually called me at home last year when dd missed three classes in row after I gave birth - just to check-in and see if there was a problem)

-has the littlest girls (4-6 yrs) do an in-class performance rather than perform on stage in the recital

-charges a minimal $45-ish recital fee for the end of year recital (no tickets required)

-has the girls wear skirts over their class leotards for the recital (no costume fees)

-has the littlest girls in the recital (7-9 yrs) sit on the front rows of the theater during the recital, so that they can watch the older girls perform when they are not on stage

I would be looking for a new studio if I were you.

Oh my! Recital days can be chaotic when you don't know what to expect, but that one sounded a little dangerous for the little kids. In 10 years of dance we only have experience with two studios, and both were much more child friendly than what you described. One studio owned the costumes and loaned them out for recitals, and the other intentionally kept costume fees low and used the same costumes for the Winter and Spring recitals.

Your daughter is very young. The best studio for an overall dance career isn't necessarily the best studio for the 2-7 year olds. Her dancing will not be ruined if you find a more organized, less stressful situation for her right now. The hardest part about switching studios is deciding to do it. The rest is easy.

As far as recitals go, there is no getting around watching the Tiny Tutus on stage. It can get tedious, especially when none of the Tiny Tutus belong to YOU. A good studio will spread them out so that you don't have to watch them all in a row, or even incorporate older classes into the choreography.

HTH

KungFuPanda

Sounds like they need to hire a professional stage manager to oversee the actual show or at least get a student stage manager to do it. Our family work in various areas of theatre and the there is no way kids and their families should be confused or scared or left without knowing what is going on, its such a dangerous environment.

My husband (a professional stage manager) has done the odd kids show for dance schools and they really like having someone to handle all the organisation and people and safety side of it as most of the people running these groups just don't have the experience of how to do it successfully.

NO, not all dance studios are run like that! My 4 year old started dance this past year and the studio owner runs the business and the recital so well that I jokingly call her "Obsessive Dance Lady". We were shown exactly where to take our dancers and there were parent volunteers who had practiced getting them on stage during a dress rehearsal. All parent volunteers had name tags and weren't allowed backstage without it. They also had a pre-show meeting outlining their duties. The dances, even for the 3-4 year old children, were quite ambitious and I was shocked at how well they turned out. She set it up so that dance teachers were on stage, in costume and dancing near the young children in case they needed help.

The youngest children were given free tickets to sit with their parents and were given instructions about when to go backstage. Afterwards, they were put in a room where they could watch the rest of the show on TV. After the finale, one parent only was allowed backstage with a ticket showing their child's name and song and children would only be released directly to that parent. There were strict instructions NOT to take children off the stage and they had student assistants there "guarding" them. Everyone in the studio was given a packet of information a few months before the recital with all the information they could need. We did pay $100 for the costume and prop and $16 each for the tickets, but it was very well done and the rules were all for the safety of the dancers.

That's cute. Although my boys have yet to catch onto the fact that "boys dance too". ;) There are a lot of boys (and men) at their school.

There are, thankfully, a number at our school. And we have some really fabulous male teachers. ... But there's still some definite "after thought" status for the guys. ;)