Menu

How closely do you follow the WTM?

I am making science my spine until kiddo is older and can comprehend a little more of the complexity of the human mind, and how it has made history so -- wild.

We do not have "faith" class. I teach religion as part of history, culture, and human psychology.

We are delaying Latin until kiddo is reading better. His eyes are slower than his brain, at this point. Latin is just the cartoony Minimus books, but I am stressing Greek and Latin roots (which I happen to know a lot of from my profession).

I am requiring the minimum sit down time (but still following all the total annual times for each subject from WTM) each day, spread out over 25 days a month, and having kiddo be OUTside instead, at least 3 hours daily, hiking, kayaking, sailing soon (I hope), beachcombing, gardening, and swimming. (Right now the boys are biking down to a old car show.)

I send the boys on yearly road trips. If my house sells, I may sent them cruising from Australia this year (and just work a LOT of overtime while they are gone.)

I used the WTM in theory but did not follow it closely. We did cycle history every four years and did much of our literature and writing around that. We did some great books study. We studied grammar and did some outlining. My dd is dylsexic so that changed the focus and approach a bit. When she got to 9th grade I basically let her follow her interests. She wrote 2 novels, learned photography, started her own business, listened to a college course on CD about fantasy literature, and read like crazy. The WTM helped me to keep focused on what their education should look like and on what my goals were. I am very pleased with the results.

For the subjects we do at home (science, Spanish, and art are at a co-op) we follow WTM very closely. I've owned all three editions and have pretty much used her recommendations for curriculum and reading lists straight from the book. It's served us very well.

I don't follow it too closely for the Grammar years as my children are dyslexic and the WTM just depressed me. I am finding, though, that I am using it more faithfully once my kids hit Gr. 5. I use the methodology but not the curriculum recommendations. We do the 4 yr. history and science cycle as well.

Well, that depends on the subject and the year, really. I try to make those ideas fit the needs of the particular child.

I do use a lot of the books they've recommended over the years, simply because I found they worked well for us and liked them.

I've used Spelling Workout, for instance, and Abeka grammar (no longer on their list); I used Rod and Staff with my younger son in early elementary (before switching over to the Abeka series, which starts in fourth), as well as the first level of FLL (all that was out at the time). I tried to go back to R&S with him for seventh, this past year, however, and we both simply hated it. It simply was not a good match for him. He needs more remedial work in grammar, whereas my older son used Abeka all the way through without any difficulty.

I used Writing Strands all the way through with my older son, also. He was a natural writer. It didn't work at all with the younger one and I've done a mish-mash of things to try to help him over the years.

I used Vocab from Classical Roots with my older son. I didn't like it all that well, but maybe that was just because of his auditory processing problems (which translate into problems with out of the ordinary vocabulary and memory of such things). At any rate, I'm using a different program with my younger son. I may try VfCR again, later....

I used Singapore all the way through with both boys. I believe WTM recommends it now, but I was using it before they did. I have used Saxon a little, here and there, but have never really been in love with it.

I use living books, rather than textbooks, in general, for my history and science studies - and I use many of the books recommended by WTM, as well as their ideas for how to set up the study.

I still use the Latin Primer/Grammar series which was an early rec in WTM. It has served both sons well. But I believe they also used to recommend Powerglide for other language studies and I really didn't like it at all when I used it for Spanish with my older son. I think I've heard recently that it has been overhauled and undergone a name change. I don't believe they recommend it any longer, anyway, but I'd have to go check my books to be sure....

I've dabbled in the various logic programs they've recommended over the years, although I really don't like any of them all that much (but haven't found anything else, either)....

I've done narration and dictation work, as well as continued copywork, with my younger son perhaps even more than I did with the older one, who had auditory processing issues, but didn't have problems with writing, punctuation, etc.

We try to include art and music in our yearly school plans as much as possible. I add in religious studies, as well.

When asked what curriculum we use, I answer that we very loosely follow WTM. Reading the book 9 years ago changed and brought focus to our hsing. It's the easiest response, and we generally follow many of the suggested curriculum in the book. In reality, mmm, not so much, but it continues to be my motivator, encouragement, and standard.

I know that you are new hsers, and the book can be intimidating. Have you read SWB's descriptions of her earlier hs days? Hilarious, and it will make anyone see that they CAN pull this off. No one does it perfectly. :D

In a way not so much, in another way, very much.

I reread it every summer (Because at whatever stage you are at, something will 'hit' you-having the fresh experience of it-and you'll glean something that you hadn't previously) (and I have others I reread annually, also). I take out what's not working for us, I add in what is, but I still use whatever I add in a WTM way.

I rely heavily on copywork, narration, outlining, writing and knowing the three stages. I use living books, though, this year I did add in my first (IMO) outstanding textbook. Latin, yes. In 3rd grade, though my preschooler is starting to memorize the words and so I think with her it will just be a continual thing (from listening to her brothers and sisters rattle off vocab drills).

I do it much more slowly, and not all of it.

I've added in-or moreso woven in religious studies through history.

Edited by justamouse

We are going into our third year of following it pretty closely :) We used Sonlight for Kindergarten & 1st grade with my older daughter and then WTM for 2nd & 3rd for her and Kindergarten for my middle daughter.

I was looking around for something different when I found that Sonlight 2nd grade was too christian for us (we are Jewish). I found WTM and LOVED it from the first time I read it to now - having reread it numerous times.

We use: The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading, Spelling Power, First Language Lessons, Sonlight, Handwriting Without Tears, Writing With Ease, Story of the World, we follow a narration science but use different books than WTM recommends (Kingfisher Science Encyclopedia & experiment books recommended by Real Science-4-Kids) -- LOTS of memorization :)

I follow it about 90 %. If a curriculum isn't recommended in WTM than I don't use it, we do all the grammar, science, phonics, history , reading lists ettc.etc., we don't do as much writing, (dyslexic children) and in year 12 we are completely different.

Because I am in Australia, we need to do University courses to get into University. Parent transcripts don't have any weight at all. so my DS17 is doing the reading lists, math , history WTM style, but also doing University courses.

But often I end up choosing curricula that the book does not recommend, based on an individual child's interests or needs. For example after a couple of months in first grade, it was clear the SWO would not work for one of my children. After some research and misfires, I found AAS and it's worked great.

I don't know how to put this exactly, but the history-centered-ness of TWTM hasn't worked well for us. For one thing, two of my three kids really don't like the study of history. Even though for all three kids I've used SOTW as a guide and spine, we do much less history than some people on these boards. Some weeks, we only read the chapter, talked about it a bit, and moved on. :tongue_smilie: They still know way more history than most kids their age, so I'm not worried.

I've searched for a science curriculum that would fill our needs, as all three of my kids strongly favor science as a "subject" over history. There's just nothing out there that I am satisfied with for the K-6 crowd, so we do a little of everything.

Finally, with older kids, I deviated from the curriculum recommendations for logic. Nothing in TWTM after the CT books worked for us. Once I had learned a bit more about the historical development of inductive and deductive logic, I felt better about our eclectic approach to this topic.

I just came from the Valley Forge conference, so I've been doing much reflection. :)

I follow TWTM method more closely than I've recognized lately. I don't follow The Book quite as much. If you've heard SWB describe the difference in print or in her audio recordings, you'll understand.

With my kids, almost not at all. In fact, I was initially turned off by it. When I re-visited it, I just felt it wasn't for us. I think we did something similar for a year or two sometime in the middle, but mostly, we didn't do WTM.

However, when I took in my friend's son, we did it almost 100%. We used a science program that was built on the same idea as the WTM but told me what to do when.

With my new kiddos, when/if I get to homeschool, it will also be almost 100%, at least for the younger years.

ETA: I took the question as "how closely do you follow the philosophy?" rather than "do you only use all WTM suggested resources and do so for every subject?" For example, we use multiple math programs at every level. That is a little different, but the philosophy is for a strong math foundation and course of study (at least, imo).

Edited by 2J5M9K

I am only six months into this with dd10, so still getting my feet wet. I first read WTM a year and a half ago and refer back occasionally. This is probably a good time for me to take yet another look - thanks for the reminder.

I'd say I follow it in spirit, but not necessarily literally and not necessarily for every subject. I adapt everything to my dd's situation. For right now, that means a focus on making sure skills are progressing in the 3 Rs, and they have a much higher priority over subjects in our homeschool like history. We are not history-centered, so that's one parting of ways with WTM (I just ordered our history for next school year, with a Catholic flavor. Dd is scared of Egyptians LOL, so we're not doing this in the correct order, but we'll get to it eventually). I don't know yet how much I'll be having her practice skills across the curriculum this coming year. Latin is important to us.

Regarding specific book recommendations in WTM, I might use those as a place to start, but I'd never limit myself to those and I don't believe SWB intended them that way. I take them as suggestions or examples that fit the approach set forth in the WTM.

We look forward to starting WWS in August. That's probably the only book we'll be using that would be specifically recommended in the WTM. The WTM methods for writing are its biggest strength as applied in our family.

With ds I don't follow the book much at all except for the general goals. With his learning differences, the recommended materials won't get us to where we need to be. I do follow the history and science recs loosely, but I also use SL loosely, so it's not exact.

With dd, I've used more WTM recommendations. They're a better fit for her.

I use the book as a road map, but I don't always choose the recommended route.

I wouldn't really say that I follow the WTM, but I use it as a resource and as guidelines. I utilize a different approach to language arts and place a greater emphasis on science. I chose Greek instead of Latin and decided to start multiple foreign languages in Kindergarten. I use the resources lists for history/art/music, but take a slower and deeper approach to history than the 4 year cycle. I would classify myself as an eclectic homeschooler where I incorporate different aspects from many different homeschooling methods.

I'd say we use it as a guideline. Even before I purchased it, I realised we had followed it quite closely. Once I purchased it, I changed around my plans for next year.

I would say I am a WTM "wannabe" I "wannabe" that WTM Mom, but whether I'll achieve it as well as some others, I don't really think I will.

The classical approach differs a bit from my own approach. We are a very creative family, therefore hands on art & craft, as well as many "electives" are a must here. We're also not as "rigorous" :D as most. In 6 years time, once my littlest is in "grade 3" we'll see how close to the WTM we are then. Since most of our kids are young now, and we are "newbies" at formal homeschooling, we have yet to find our groove.