Menu

Is anyone else excited for back-to-school sales next month?

I can't wait! :tongue_smilie: I need to stock up! We are almost out of tape and glue - see glue stick post - and tape gets used even more than glue!

I *don't* need to buy regular markers or crayons. I bought extra last year and still have plenty...although I probably won't be able to resist at least a couple of cheap 24 packs of crayons since basic colors tend to go missing. Pencils are also not needed, however if DS finds a small pack that he loves, I'll probably let him get them. I already have enough handwriting paper for at least 2-3 years for him, and plenty of notebooks, so I won't need much besides plain white paper.

So, what's on your back-to-school shopping list?

Here's mine:

lots of tape

lots of glue/glue sticks

lots of folders, mostly the plain colored ones, but a few with pictures on them for DS

washable whiteboard markers (We used most of ours up!)

possible small pack of pencils and crayons

2-3 binders, along with dividers

one ream of white paper

another package of good erasers - I like the white ones by Pentel (Ours always seem to go missing!)

Hmm, I guess my list is longer than I thought. I was getting a little sad that it didn't seem like we needed much. I love school supplies. :tongue_smilie:

edit: Oh yeah, I also want a hole punch with a fun design

Edited by Ellyndria

What?

Already?

Oh, no.

I'm not ready, much less excited.

:iagree: I am not ready and actually sad it is coming so soon. We just learned we are losing 20% of our income again. I won't have any money available to buy anything on sale it seems.

YES! I love back-to-school sales.

We need:

Glue sticks, glue sticks and more glue sticks

Ditto for tape

3" binder

We (I) want:

Proclick (I have a $10 off coupon for Office Depot that I'm planning to use for this)

Highlighters

Dry Erase Markers

Scissors (they still work but are getting dull)

Whatever else catches me eye

I <3 office supplies!

Yay! I am VERY excited!

I'm actually trying to see if I can wait for the sale before I get some things. We start school July 11 and I'm hoping to get most things before then. Obviously it's not a big deal to not have it all ready, but I do like it when it is :D

We need

Binders - lots and lots of binders

crayons

markers

colored pencils

electric pencil sharpener

hole punch

glue sticks (so many glue sticks)

dry erase markers

pencils

erasers

stapler

I feel like our supplies got decimated this year. EVERYTHING broke. So this year it's like starting all over again. Good thing I love supply shopping :D

Oh yes!!

My dd's are crafting cute notebooks with those black and white marble composition notebooks and felt. They have patterns for a couple dogs, a cat, a frog and really the possibilities are endless. The library is having a kid craft show at the end of July. They are so excited to participate!! So we are needing those notebooks to go on sale for 25 cents to keep costs reasonable. (found some felt at the thrift store) C'mon Sales!! We're ready!

Oh yeah, I need pencils and markers and glue sticks too and I'm desperate for those cheap 3-pronged folders. I'm in paper limbo until I can get some but I'm waiting for them to go for 10cents. :D

I love these sales too. Although, last year I bought a bunch of glue sticks and then when I got them out to use them, they were dried out. It was only a month or so later too. How do you all store yours so they don't dry out? I suppose it doesn't help that we live in the desert.

I love these sales too. Although, last year I bought a bunch of glue sticks and then when I got them out to use them, they were dried out. It was only a month or so later too. How do you all store yours so they don't dry out? I suppose it doesn't help that we live in the desert.

I never opened the package and threw the package into a drawer until needed. But, I have no idea how much the desert would affect that! Reminds me of brown sugar, when we lived in a dry climate, the brown sugar always turned into a large rock soon after opening. Here, it's still moist after months and months!

You could try a damp paper towel in a baggy in the fridge.

I can't wait. We go through spiral notebooks like crazy because I make my children write Latin tables daily (I write them too since I forgot much of my high school Latin) and they use them for math as well. Ds11 (and I) will be starting Greek this fall and will need notebooks for practicing forms in that as well. We can go through notebooks at a frightening speed this way. We also need more graph paper. I got four pads of grid paper for dd8 to do math on at the WHO convention (from Miller Paper and Pads) but she will run out of that before the end of the year and the boys all actually need to graph equations. If I could find polar coordinate grid paper for ds15, I'd be really happy. We found lots of pencils under the couch for standardized testing, but we will need more for the year, and definitely need more erasers. We will also need pens for lab notebooks this year. We are good on rulers, protractors, and compasses because I got a good deal on those from Amazon with prime shipping, but more little pencils for the compasses is probably a good idea. We always need lined paper, printer paper, card stock, and ink. We don't need 3 ring binders because we have abandoned them in favor of file boxes and hanging file folders. We use regular manilla folders within the hanging folders like dividers in notebooks. Papers were always falling out of the binders. :glare:

I can't wait either! I was just mentioning to the kids that we are down to 2 lonely glue sticks, and the white glue has been gone for awhile, thanks to my overanxious 5yo. :lol:

We will be stocking up on

glue sticks--lots and lots

white glue

notebooks-tons of these

dividers

markers

crayons (that aren't broken in 3 places)

colored pencils- that are longer then 3" thanks to vigorous sharpening

rulers

construction paper

lined paper for kindergartener

lined paper for 2nd grader

and anything else that catches my fancy!

This is my FAVORITE shopping time of the year!:tongue_smilie:

I was in Staples today and saw that they have their display boxes out for school supplies but they are still empty. I have Staples Rewards to spend and can't wait. Our list

colors

colored pencils

dry erase markers

spiral notebooks (I never thought we would use all the ones I bought 4 years ago. :D)

pencil grips

glue

markers

gel pens

card stock

fun erasers

sketch books

nice set of pencils for the artist

pens, lots of pens

I am buying a proclick and laminator from Amazon so I don't need any binders.

Oh man, yes. My oldest is only 2, but my husband is still in school and I also plan on trying to do more preschool stuff with my daughter. I love the sweet deals with things free or close to free, and it's great to have a stockpile of school supplies. My husband and I just organized his office, including all my paper and pencils, etc, so I have a good list in my mind for what I want/need.

List:

Printer Paper and lots of it

Notebook paper

crayons

colored pencils

construction paper

spiral notebooks

kiddie scissors

tape

glue

rulers

Yes, can't wait. Was in Office Depot for some ink today and they are already putting out their supplies. It was all I could do to keep my hands off the pretties.

I can't wait! :tongue_smilie: I need to stock up! <snip>

Here's mine:

<snip>

one ream of white paper

How do you get by with just ONE ream???

Pam

I love the whole going back to school experience. Picking out new notebooks, folders etc was just a really fun time with my mother who kindly let us have whatever our little hearts desired in terms of notebooks etc. Then we went home and tabbed, separated subjects argued over the pink tye dye pencils and such. I love the smell of paper too. Geekbait.

Yes, can't wait. Was in Office Depot for some ink today and they are already putting out their supplies. It was all I could do to keep my hands off the pretties.

How do you get by with just ONE ream???

Pam

Well, this isn't for the printer. (DH gets his own free paper for the printer as it's his for work. This is MY paper.) This is just for drawing on and stuff. I also have drawing tablets, but I like having the ream around for random white paper needs.

Edited by Ellyndria

I will actually be getting the list for dd's charter school (eeeep, we'll see how it goes) but for US, I need:

pencil cases to go in 3-ring binders (great for organizing)

crayons

tempura paint

watercolors

colored pencils

mechanical pencils

regular pencils

a giant eraser or two

several packs of glue sticks

tape, tape, and more tape

printer paper & toner

several drawing notebooks for dd

I thought that school just got out. Hmmm, I'm really out of touch with ps.

So are the best places to buy materials at Office Depot and Office Max?

Schools here got out in mid-May, and starts back mid-late August, so school supplies are usually on the shelves in early July. The last 2-3 weeks of July is when most of the good sales are here.

I usually go to Target and Staples for the good sales. Walmart has good sales too but it's so crowded. Office Max never seems to have good sales here. Oh, and Toys R Us had the best crayon/marker sale! Buy 1, get 2 free! And they were the big boxes of Crayola, too.

I'm not in the desert, but I am in a dry climate and I've given up on glue sticks because they constantly dry out. We use white washable Elmers now.

So nice to hang out with people who can get excited about summer school supply sales!!! My IRL non-hsing moms see it as a big chore to have to get buy the school supplies. Maybe it's because they have to follow someone else's list.

I am in the crowd who is desperate for glue sticks. I had to buy a glue stick last week at full price and it almost killed me. I just reminded myself that I'll make up for it by buying plenty of the cheapo ones next month. Last year I bought 15 packages of glue sticks thinking it was enough but I was sadly mistaken. This year maybe I'll go for for 50. We may be doing some lapbooking and that will suck a lot of that glue up.

All my kiddie-sized scissors have also disappeared.

My son just informed me there are no pencils with erasers in the wholse entire house.

Oh and the 10 cent notebooks... I've loved those since I was 10:lol:

So, I am the mom who goes in after all the sales and rush and picks through what's leftover because I wasn't paying attention...

Honestly, I have never hit a good sale and have spent hundreds and hundreds on getting kids set with supplies.

So, Please, please, please (I am practically begging)... could you post about what stores have great buys when it happens???

We need new backpacks... three of them... and stuff like binders, dividers, spiral notebooks and lots of pens and pencils (my boys lose them ALL the time...)(starting this year, I will buy pens and pencils once and dole them out and then the boys will have to buy their own... really... they are THAT bad about it).

:001_smile: I'm feeling excited, too!! During 15 years of homeschooling, I would wake up sometime in February and start dreaming and planning for the following year and I loved those weeks in summer when the packages began to arrive!!

Happy Schooling!!

I thought that school just got out. Hmmm, I'm really out of touch with ps.

So are the best places to buy materials at Office Depot and Office Max?

I think our ps just got out too. It's more getting in touch with retailers. You know how the Halloween stuff will be out as soon as the school supply stuff is gone at the end of August. Valentine stuff is out the day after Christmas. It's a running joke between dh and I that there is one store in our area (major store) in which you cannot buy winter wear in the winter because the swimsuits are already out and you cannot buy swimsuits in summer because the jackets are already out. The swimsuits are currently on clearance. :confused:

So, I am the mom who goes in after all the sales and rush and picks through what's leftover because I wasn't paying attention...

Honestly, I have never hit a good sale and have spent hundreds and hundreds on getting kids set with supplies.

So, Please, please, please (I am practically begging)... could you post about what stores have great buys when it happens???

I'll try to remember to post... but I think ads might be different for some of them in different parts of the country, depending on when schools go back?

But what I do, is stalk the online ads for Target, Staples, etc, on Sundays during back-to-school season to see what's on sale that week.

So, my Staples ad has a back-to-school sale page this week. There's not too much on it, some various things for $1: binders, colored pencils, small whiteboards, highlighters, I don't remember what else. Limit 2 of each. So, not terribly amazing sales, but they are starting.

I'm anxiously awaiting the sales at Staples, maybe WalMart too.

I will stock up on:

spiral notebooks

3-prong folders (Staples had both of those items for a penny each, up to 25 of each for teachers, the last two years.)

white glue

maybe glue sticks (We seem to go through more of the white glue though.)

crayons

colored pencils (I'll buy the crayons and colored pencils now for our Operation Christmas Child boxes.)

I can't wait! :tongue_smilie: I need to stock up! We are almost out of tape and glue - see glue stick post - and tape gets used even more than glue!

I *don't* need to buy regular markers or crayons. I bought extra last year and still have plenty...although I probably won't be able to resist at least a couple of cheap 24 packs of crayons since basic colors tend to go missing. Pencils are also not needed, however if DS finds a small pack that he loves, I'll probably let him get them. I already have enough handwriting paper for at least 2-3 years for him, and plenty of notebooks, so I won't need much besides plain white paper.

Here's mine:

lots of tape

lots of glue/glue sticks

lots of folders, mostly the plain colored ones, but a few with pictures on them for DS

washable whiteboard markers (We used most of ours up!)

possible small pack of pencils and crayons

2-3 binders, along with dividers

one ream of white paper

another package of good erasers - I like the white ones by Pentel (Ours always seem to go missing!)

Hmm, I guess my list is longer than I thought. I was getting a little sad that it didn't seem like we needed much. I love school supplies. :tongue_smilie:

edit: Oh yeah, I also want a hole punch with a fun design

I've pretty much missed all the back to school sales for the last eight years because we've either been moving or overseas. I can't wait.

Composition books (to use for spelling notebooks and for the writing class I'm teaching)

Papermate pens (I found a really nice pen that is even better than a Bic Stick, comes in tons of colors)

Colored pencils (I'm thinking this will be the year I use big discounts to get a really nice Prismacolor set. That will probably be something I get from Michaels with a big coupon.)

Glue sticks

Folders (I need tons of these)

3 ring binders (I'm trending toward more and more of a WTM method with outlining and narrations and narrative summaries. So I need binders of all sizes.)

Good erasers

Ticonderoga pencils

Graph paper

Rulers (I know we had a half dozen, but we can never find one for math)

One thing I have decided is that on pencils and erasers, quality matters. An inexpensive "bargain" isn't worth it if the pencil won't sharpen or the eraser won't erase.

There was one year when one of the office stores had a backpack discount. You bought a backpack and then got 15% off of anything that would fit in it. If I find that discount again, then I'm getting flash drives, SD cards for cameras, printer ink, and maybe an external hard drive. :lol: That's my kind of school supplies.

I never opened the package and threw the package into a drawer until needed. But, I have no idea how much the desert would affect that! Reminds me of brown sugar, when we lived in a dry climate, the brown sugar always turned into a large rock soon after opening. Here, it's still moist after months and months!

I wonder if storing the glue sticks in a gallon zip lock bag or a plastic container along with one of those brown sugar bears that you soak in water would work.

The bag would help with evaporation and the terra cotta bear would provide replacement moisture.