Menu

Survey for Latin Homeschooling Parents

Hello WTM List,

I am conducting a survey of homeschooling parents who teach Latin. This is a short, anonymous survey, and it should take less than 5 minutes of your time.

The results of this survey will be presented at American Classical League (ACL) convention later this month. ACL is a national organization comprised mainly of professional Latin teachers. The audience will be teachers who are very curious about homeschooling in general, and Latin homeschooling in particular. ACL members are eager to serve the homeschooling community, and this survey will go a long way in helping to educate them.

I will also publish highlights of the presentation and survey results at the www.latinforhomeschoolers.com blog in July.

Here is the link to the survey:

http://www.quia.com/sv/531889.html

Please complete the survey by 9PM Saturday, June 18!. Also, please forward this survey to all homeschoolers you know!

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

Cordially,

Christine Hahn

www.latinforhomeschoolers.com

Just so you know, the question about how many years I (as a teacher) had studied Latin prior to homeschooling needs to have a "0" option. :)

AND a 9+ option. What about those of us who had 8 by graduation, but dealt with Romance philology in university, sneaked into classics majors' classes, etc.? That is more than 9 years overall. :tongue_smilie:

AND a 9+ option. What about those of us who had 8 by graduation, but dealt with Romance philology in university, sneaked into classics majors' classes, etc.? That is more than 9 years overall. :tongue_smilie:

For those people there needs to be a, "Goddess of Latin" option. :D

:bigear:

Yay, the grand total is 306!

So here are the details of the special treat: As you might have noticed, I was really amazed at the outpouring of interest and support from the homeschooling community, especially from the WTM group, when the survey came out. I had no idea that everyone would be so open and willing to share their thoughts. The preliminary data has already helped me to rethink some of my own assumptions about Latin and homeschooling, even though I've been working with homeschoolers for over a decade!

Those of you familiar with Latin for Homeschoolers and Elite Tutors Online, Inc. know that I've been a one-woman shop for a decade, and I'm just now expanding to add other tutors to the team. So how do you thank 300 people who live really far away in any meaningful way when you're a small company without a budget? (My kids are happy with lollipops or ice cream cones, but I didn't really think that would fly here.)

Then the answer hit me: SPONSORS!!!

Since you are all homeschoolers who are interested in Latin, I've contacted all of the major publishing houses that market Latin to homeschool families to see if we can you group discounts for meeting the 300-response goal. I wasn't sure if I could get anyone to agree, that's why the details were kind of sketchy at first.

Here are the results so far:

I can get us a 40% discount on Bolchazy-Carducci items. Unfortunately, Bolchazy's website isn't set up to handle discount codes. I've spent the better part of today getting an online ordering system in place at Latin for Homeschoolers so that you can use the discount.

http://www.latinforhomeschoolers.com/content/store

Use coupon code acl2011 at checkout to receive the 40% discount. This discount expires on June 30, 2011 (Note: ancillary materials for Latin for New Millennium are eligible, but LNM textbooks themselves are not, so they aren't on the list.)

Memoria Press: still working on it

Classical Academic Press: still working on it

Veritas: declined to participate

I will keep you updated when I hear back from the other publishers.

I didn't ask for contact information on the survey, so I don't have any way of knowing who completed it. Thus, these discounts will be available to anyone with the discount code, not just those who participated.

I apologize if this is a little less organized than it should be. The ACL community is really excited to see results, and this will probably be an annual event, so I promise that it will be smoother in the future.

Thank you all again. I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Christine

We ended up with 346 responses.

Yay! Memoria Press just committed to contributing to our project. Their catalog will be added to the Latin for Homeschoolers bookstore in the next couple of days, so you will be able to use the code mentioned above to get the 40% off Memoria Press and Bolchazy-Carducci items through June 30.

I will let you know when the Memoria Press items are available.

Classical Academic Press is very interested...still hashing out details of the discount amount.

Thank you all for your patience.

4:30AM woke up to rewrite presentation (again)

7:55AM put on finishing touches

8:00AM Keynote software crashed and whole presentation was lost !!!! :(

9:45AM finished recreating presentation

I'm leaving tomorrow, and my talk is at 9AM Sunday. I can't wait to tell ACL about how the WTM group really jumped on board to support the cause. The general idea is that Latin is alive and well in the homeschooling community, and that you are all passionate and dedicated Latin teachers. Some of you are comfortable going it alone. Others reach a limit, but don't quit. Instead, you make use of many resources (books, instructional media, online classes, and private tutors) available.

When I return next week, I'll work on updating the Latin for Homeschoolers blog. There will be a series of articles about the survey results and the presentation. There is a LOT of information to digest and process.

If anyone is interested, I'll be tweeting about conference events throughout the weekend.

Keeping my fingers and toes crossed hoping that everything goes well,

Christine

• 8 months later...

Wow, I can't believe that it's been almost 9 months since the survey! Anyways, the formal paper is set to be published in the upcoming edition of Teaching Classical Languages 3.2 (Spring 2012) www.tcl.camws.org.

The actual paper itself is kind of long and academic, about 3000 words. Now that the big paper is done, the Latin for Homeschoolers blog will publish regular information about survey results that will be useful (hopefully) to homeschooling parents who are in the trenches, teaching Latin to their children every day.

Today's article has to do with which books survey respondents used, and their opinions of these books.

Here's the link:

http://latinforhomeschoolers.com/blogs/magistrahahn/2012/03/latin-homeschooling-community-survey-update-which-latin-book-should-i-use

PS...a new and improved survey is in the works for this summer!

Wow, I can't believe that it's been almost 9 months since the survey! Anyways, the formal paper is set to be published in the upcoming edition of Teaching Classical Languages 3.2 (Spring 2012) www.tcl.camws.org.

The actual paper itself is kind of long and academic, about 3000 words. Now that the big paper is done, the Latin for Homeschoolers blog will publish regular information about survey results that will be useful (hopefully) to homeschooling parents who are in the trenches, teaching Latin to their children every day.

Today's article has to do with which books survey respondents used, and their opinions of these books.

Here's the link:

http://latinforhomeschoolers.com/blogs/magistrahahn/2012/03/latin-homeschooling-community-survey-update-which-latin-book-should-i-use

PS...a new and improved survey is in the works for this summer!

Cool, I'm looking forward to reading through this.

I was intrigued by the way that the success and failure percentages were calculated (at the second link). Is there a way to correlate the courses with a) the Latin ability/experience of the parent/teacher at the beginning of the course, b) the familiarity with foreign language learning and/or English grammar on the part of the teacher, or c) outcomes on widely used Latin exams like Exploratory Latin Exam or NLE?

I'm curious in part because I would have reviewed the course we used when we took the survey pretty favorably, in large part because it was easy to excecute as a subject (has DVDs and the work isn't overwhelming). However in the last six months, I've moved to using material that I think requires more from the teacher, but that has had much better results (for us at least).

Looking forward to the next survey.