Menu

I am sure this will be controversial and there may be hurt feelings but...

I definitely prefer Stockmar- I have my own box. :001_rolleyes: My kids do use Crayola when they need skinny crayons. My MIL is always confused and offended when we aren't delighted to bring home freebie off-brand crayons from restaurants. I feel like such a snob if I try to explain why.

Perhaps, "They're free because they stink, but thanks anyway?"

I think my diplomat button broke :lol:.

My kids like crayola. They love the fat jumbo crayons from Lakeshore even better though--I think its because you have to stomp on them to break them and they are bright.

However, I have to admit that they have no taste--they hated the stockmar block crayons that their music teacher uses. No explanation--just a couple of marks and they were done. My oldest is 5 and I'm not sure he believed that they were real crayons.

Christine

It's a Waldorf-y brand. High quality, beeswax, thick, good for large areas and the soft, low-detail kind of drawing that the Waldorf method teaches. They are lovely. :)

And the sweet beeswax smell on your hands when you are done is even more lovely!

Of course...we just installed 3 beehives, so we are feeling extra love for anything bee related!

Don't use the cheap-o ones you get at restaurants in any sort of craft or project that involves melting them...they give off a horrible odor. It was so bad my kid and I had to sleep at my dad's while the husband aired out the house. Our eyes were literally burning. I mean, not with FIRE, but with CHEMICALS!!!

I definitely prefer Stockmar- I have my own box. :001_rolleyes: My kids do use Crayola when they need skinny crayons. My MIL is always confused and offended when we aren't delighted to bring home freebie off-brand crayons from restaurants. I feel like such a snob if I try to explain why.

:iagree:I cringe (inside) when my inlaws buy the boys those big boxes of cheap crayons from the dollar store. Maybe if I made them color with them they wouldn't get them anymore...

We make our own crayons from scratch because we're real homeschoolers.

Do you have your own bees? All of the people I know with bees are unschoolers. Do you think there is a direct correlation? ;)

I prefer Stockmar crayons, but will make do with crayola. Eta: stockmar crayons are not all in block form, they come in regular crayon shapes.

Okay, now THAT one nearly made me spit my gatorade all over the screen!!

You drink gatorade?:tongue_smilie: Don't you know that is full of HFCS? :lol:

I could never confine myself or my children to a box of crayons. Although I have considered larger boxes.

I must be the only person on the board who likes the Roseart crayons.

OMG. What am I doing to my children's intellectual development by letting them use Roseart????

I must be a bad mommy. :(:crying::crying::crying:

ETA: Maybe there's hope? Can I supplement?

Do you have your own bees? All of the people I know with bees are unschoolers.

Yes, of course, we have our own bees. We made our own beehive (from scratch) and the caught a feral swarm.

Well, we unschool on the weekends and in the summer. During the regular school year we use the most rigorous classical curricula there is (everything is in Latin, Hebrew, Greek, or French; it's OOP from the 1700s).

What's wrong with you people? Only colored pencils for me and they have to be Prismacolor.

I'm a preschool art snob.

:iagree:

My kids are far too cultured to touch those nasty things. :p

(I am not so cultured, and I do love the way they smell though. ;))

Yes, of course, we have our own bees. We made our own beehive (from scratch) and the caught a feral swarm.

Well, we unschool on the weekends and in the summer. During the regular school year we use the most rigorous classical curricula there is (everything is in Latin, Hebrew, Greek, or French; it's OOP from the 1700s).

Just seeing this thread. Excuse me while I change...:lol::lol:

I'm dying here!

ETA--oh geez, perhaps you aren't kidding about the feral swarm--it's just the words are so funny, along with the concept!

Off to buy Stockmars for a little friend of mine...

I looked up these wonderful Stockmar crayons. $28.00 for a box of 16????

We definitely won't be trying them until "Little Miss Destructo" dd is past her - peel the paper and break the crayons - phase. My kids will be getting high quality, expensive art products when they're teenagers. Maybe.

Crayolas all the way around here. Definitely Washable Crayolas.