Menu

Why Would You Drop a Curriculum?

I ask this because I often see advice given to change a curriculum if the child doesn't seem to like it...I wonder to myself if the child just doesn't like the subject in general and wouldn't want to do anything concerning the subject, especially something like grammar or math...

I think if my boys knew that if they expressed dislike for something I would change it, they would express dislike for a lot of things :tongue_smilie:

I just sincerely wonder when is a good time to switch because of the child and when is a good time to teach them to follow through because you are not going to like everything you have to do in life, but certain things must be done anyway...

Any opinions?

I ask this because I often see advice given to change a curriculum if the child doesn't seem to like it...I wonder to myself if the child just doesn't like the subject in general and wouldn't want to do anything concerning the subject, especially something like grammar or math...

I think if my boys knew that if they expressed dislike for something I would change it, they would express dislike for a lot of things :tongue_smilie:

I just sincerely wonder when is a good time to switch because of the child and when is a good time to teach them to follow through because you are not going to like everything you have to do in life, but certain things must be done anyway...

Any opinions?

After much experience I now switch:

When using the curriculum is like beating my head against the wall. :banghead:

I realize the curriculum will not meet my long term goals.

The curriculum starts off well, but moves in a direction which completely bewilders me.

The needs of the family change. We need something more group oriented or independent .

I have avoided returning to one curriculum because my son loathed it. Perhaps, loathing is too mild a term.... Generally, I don't switch because of the children unless the curriculum is causing tears. If a curriculum reduces a child to tears on a regular basis, it's probably not a good fit for either the teacher or child.

I love that you posted this because I have been wondering about this too now that we have actually started using our curricula. Since this is my first time out and DS5 is so young and it is hard to gauge his learning style, I am sure I will have some failures. So far, all I have trashed is our original handwriting. I didn't like the ball and stick method and DS was so frustrated with it. It was a daily struggle. We changed it up and now he loves handwriting. The only other thing that is giving us trouble is OPGTTR. I am going to stick it out though and modify it to better meet our needs since it is such a solid program and DS5 is progressing well.

Well...I'm one to really stick to things and only change when there are tears of frustration the minute I bring the book out, or if the curriculum is boring both me and my son to tears.

This happened to us recently with the WWE 2 workbook. We started out using Strong Fundamentals and picking our own literature and it went wonderful, but I started thinking that a workbook would actually make our days easier, lighter. That didn't happen. In the beginning we loved the workbook, but in the end, we resented the freedom we lost by picking and choosing our own stories. It got to the point where I didn't even want to do it but we finished it anyway for finishing's sake. That was a mistake because it sapped the love and life out of our homeschooling. In hindsight, it was time to change and go back to choosing our own stories with Strong Fundamentals.

This can happen with any curriculum/program. Sometimes the parent has to assess whether or not the child is really getting what he/she should out of the program and if it is truly meeting the intended need.

This is one reason I research so thoroughly because I really don't want to switch in the middle of the year, but after homeschooling for so many years, I have realized that sometimes ditching something is a necessary evil. :lol:

I have changed curriculums:

Due to them being far too time consuming for us.

Trying to implement them made me feel like an idiot.

Tears day after day after day.

Boring.

Not a good fit - dc wasn't learning or retaining.

Program isn't going to get dc where I want them to be by the end of the year.

I don't have an issue with switching programs that we dislike.

I realize the curriculum will not meet my long term goals.

The curriculum starts off well, but moves in a direction which completely bewilders me.

The needs of the family change. We need something more group oriented or independent .

I have avoided returning to one curriculum because my son loathed it. Perhaps, loathing is too mild a term.... Generally, I don't switch because of the children unless the curriculum is causing tears. If a curriculum reduces a child to tears on a regular basis, it's probably not a good fit for either the teacher or child.

This sounds reasonable to me. I would be pretty reluctant to switch a core subject unless I had a reason above. We haven't switched any of those. However, I wouldn't hesitate to switch curricula in an elective subject where switching wouldn't have many long-term academic or financial consequences. We're switching geography this year just because I didn't like last year's program.

If a child who is generally compliant starts having a meltdown every time the book comes off the shelf, I will switch. This happened most recently with Peterson Directed Handwriting and it was like night & day when I finally made the switch to MP's New American Cursive.

If a child who is generally compliant starts having a meltdown every time the book comes off the shelf, I will switch. This happened most recently with Peterson Directed Handwriting and it was like night & day when I finally made the switch to MP's New American Cursive.

:iagree:

For us, it was Winston Grammar for one child :banghead: and Scott Foresman 3rd grade math for the other. :banghead:

This sounds reasonable to me. I would be pretty reluctant to switch a core subject unless I had a reason above. We haven't switched any of those. However, I wouldn't hesitate to switch curricula in an elective subject where switching wouldn't have many long-term academic or financial consequences. We're switching geography this year just because I didn't like last year's program.

To clarify: what do you mean by "core"? I mean, substituting what I've heard termed "skills-based" subjects for "core" subjects makes sense here. You don't want to switch math or grammar "mid-stream" willy-nilly, as it were, because they build on themselves but different programs have them building differently.

But something like literature, history, science, or Bible, which I would also consider core subjects, is okay to switch, particularly at the end of a semester or year, if your child seems bored with the old one or its simply run its course.

So, do you have a narrower definition of "core" than I do, or a good reason not to mess with "content-based" curricula either? (Beyond retreading the same old ground fifty times, I mean. That one is a mistake.)

.... Generally, I don't switch because of the children unless the curriculum is causing tears. If a curriculum reduces a child to tears on a regular basis, it's probably not a good fit for either the teacher or child.

:iagree: There are always going to be complaints about doing necessary work, (whether schoolwork or housework :)), but we generally push on through. However, as quoted above, these are the situations where I feel it's absolutely necessary to drop it.

I'm not a huge fan of switching something because the child doesn't like it. Tears don't seem to be the fault of the curriculum as much as a measure of frustration with something about the curriculum. The number of frustrating things can sometimes be measured and the curriculum or pace adjusted accordingly. If there are too many things to adjust so that the curriculum is compromised then a new program that has less to tweak would be appropriate. But if you don't pin-point the difficulties it is easy to end up getting the same thing you had only with a different name.

Another good reason to change curriculum not mentioned yet would be that it does not meet the academic needs of the student. I've also seen curriculum switched because it does not fit with the family ethics or religious beliefs.

As a whole, I tend to tweak or augment rather than change, and I will always try to figure out what I'm needing first before looking for other options.

I also try to take into account how many things there are to lose under the refrigerator before getting anything new, no matter how many good things are said about it. :tongue_smilie:

I've only had to switch a curriculum three times. All times were with DS9. (He is my complicated child. :) )

The first switch was b/c we were using a mom-made curriculum that just wasn't meeting him where he was, and it was a subject that I could not present in a way that worked for him without outside help.

The second was b/c I moved too slowly in fixing a problem with our daily routine. By the time I had figured out what the real issue was and corrected it DS had completely associated one program we were using with feeling frustrated. Nothing I could do at that point except change, (unless I wanted him to grow to hate the subject altogether.)

The final switch was b/c I was feeling insecure about my homemade science curriculum, and let free textbooks tempt me. I was given an entire set of like new 3rd-8th grade science textbooks from our local PS system. I though they would help me make sure I was covering everything we needed, but they drove DS crazy! He started dreading science, which is his favorite subject. I realized that they were wide but shallow. My son was missing the ability to go deep into the subject matter. (Reason #423 why I'm glad we homeschool!) :001_smile:

The only time I have changed curricula mid-stream was with our math program. After nearly 2 years with Horizons math, which we both liked, I realized that ds was doing the work, but not understanding it. We switched to Math Mammoth, which he does not like as well, but obviously gives him a much better undestanding of why he is doing things. When ds was working through OPGTR and disliked it, I kept on with it, because I saw that he was getting a solid phonics understanding. So for us it has come down to how well the resource is suceeding at a "deep" level, rather than how much the child likes it. Content subjects like history and science, geography and bible have been put together from assorted resources rather that one package, so it has been less of an issue, since if ds doesn't like the current book/section it will soon be done and something new started.

great thread. as I end my first year home educating, I think I am in denial about switching. I really love sonlight, my younger really loves sonlight, she is flying through it. but my older is struggling with the comprehension questions. she loves to read but when presented with the questions, i get a blank stare, on.every.question.

so I think a switch is needed, much to my dismay...but not really sure where to go.

robin in nj

I'm not a huge fan of switching something because the child doesn't like it. Tears don't seem to be the fault of the curriculum as much as a measure of frustration with something about the curriculum. The number of frustrating things can sometimes be measured and the curriculum or pace adjusted accordingly. If there are too many things to adjust so that the curriculum is compromised then a new program that has less to tweak would be appropriate. But if you don't pin-point the difficulties it is easy to end up getting the same thing you had only with a different name.

Another good reason to change curriculum not mentioned yet would be that it does not meet the academic needs of the student. I've also seen curriculum switched because it does not fit with the family ethics or religious beliefs.

As a whole, I tend to tweak or augment rather than change, and I will always try to figure out what I'm needing first before looking for other options.

I also try to take into account how many things there are to lose under the refrigerator before getting anything new, no matter how many good things are said about it. :tongue_smilie:

:iagree: This is how I feel about it as well...

I have to say though, I am wondering what losing things under the refrigerator means? :tongue_smilie:

The only time I have changed curricula mid-stream was with our math program. After nearly 2 years with Horizons math, which we both liked, I realized that ds was doing the work, but not understanding it. We switched to Math Mammoth, which he does not like as well, but obviously gives him a much better undestanding of why he is doing things. When ds was working through OPGTR and disliked it, I kept on with it, because I saw that he was getting a solid phonics understanding. So for us it has come down to how well the resource is suceeding at a "deep" level, rather than how much the child likes it. Content subjects like history and science, geography and bible have been put together from assorted resources rather that one package, so it has been less of an issue, since if ds doesn't like the current book/section it will soon be done and something new started.

This too makes a lot of sense to me...Thanks for all of the great responses on this thread :001_smile:

Any opinions?

Hi, Autumn Oak, good to see you here again. :seeya: We need to get together this summer.

Anyway, back to your question. My oldest (6) doesn't complain (yet, knock on wood), so I haven't actually had to plod along with something she detests, either a subject or a product.

However, I would change a curriculum for these reasons:

1. The teacher manual does not help me teach the concepts. For example, I feel this way about the Horizons Math TM. My daughter is oblivious to the TM, but I dislike it... because I feel as though it's useless. There, I said it. The TM tells me to "teach the concept of place value," or something lame like that. It leaves me hanging, it is useless (IMO). I believe a good teaching product should help the teacher BE a teacher, a better teacher all the time. So we are dropping Horizons next year, and moving on to Math Mammoth (which I LOVE) and Singapore Math (which I have yet to see in person). ;)

2. The course it too teacher-intensive, or over-complicates what could be a straightforward subject, or simply takes too much time. I felt this way toward All About Spelling for a while -- Wow, it's time-consuming! Wow, it's teacher-intensive! And, wow, my daughter could do equally well with spelling with a simple list or workbook program. Sigh. There is an ambivalence, but when we do the lessons, I become convinced again (and again) that what Marie Rippel has done with AAS is nothing short of BRILLIANT. Wow, this a fantastic program! Wow, this is such a great reinforcement of phonics! Wow... you get the idea. All About Spelling is so good, so well-designed, that I wouldn't change a thing. I also love the fact that I have never found a typo. ;) That means a lot to me.

I would toss it, though, if it was busy work, either for the student or the teacher. AAS is not busy work for us, at least for now, even if it does take more time than a list-based spelling program. But if the value of the time invested was not great enough, then too much teacher time would be a reason to drop a course, just to be practical with how much teacher time there is in a day.

3. Too expensive to buy it, year after year, especially if it's consumable and I have to buy it over and over for all three kids.

4. If I got into a curriculum and I didn't like the tone of it... if it was too New Agey or too moralistic or too "Bible-versey" or just too... I don't know... too preachy? Gag me. Out the door it would go. I don't like being preached at, actually. It would grate on my nerves. I also can't stand products that are bombastically loaded with teacher-speak and educational jargon, if it's over the top.

5. If the curriculum is not geared toward a home education environment, but constantly refers to "going to school" or "your classmates" or "your school cafeteria," I wouldn't necessarily toss it, but I might edit some of what I say/read. I also tend to prefer materials designed by homeschoolers for homeschoolers (e.g., OPG, FLL, AAS, Math Mammoth).

As for your boys learning that you would change what they complain about, why do they need to know? Shhhh. If everything you choose is passed through your mother's heart for them, then I believe you will know what is right and the best for them over time. Good luck with your endeavors!

My oldest is borderline aspie with anxiety issues. Workbooks work great for her. I thought it was a wonderful thing! Zoie, on the other hand, is a Tasmanian Devil on speed. The child barely sits down. We've been through 2 workbook, sit and read, phonics programs and neither one has really stuck with her. SO.....I just bought Phonics Museum, which is suppose to be more interactive.

I've done R&S math for 5 years. Wasn't clicking for Zoie at all. Piper was also getting frustrated by the amount of work on a page. Even if I told her to do half, just the appearance of the page was OVERWHELMING. And the copying fo all the stuff. So, for some weird reason I switched BOTH girls to MUS. GREAT move for Zoie. For Piper, the blocks are a waste of time. So, now, I'm switching Piper to CLE. I probably wouldn't switch her, but the CLE costs about as much as the next MUS package.

I think when you have extremely different kids or kids wiht weird issues, switching tends to happen more often. And when you have a mom who feels that EVERYBODY needs the same thing....>duh<

For me it's usually a combo of them not liking it and me seeing that it's not that effective. If the curriculum was fairly cheap, I might switch after giving it a good go. If not, I usually finish out the year before switching.

If I do switch, I have my kids in on the decision-making process. I talk with them about what they want, what they like and don't like, and why. I think about how they learn and how they teach and try to discern why something isn't working--so it's not just a matter of not liking a subject, but trying to figure out what will help them learn it. I use that info as I look at options, I narrow down to several possibilities that I think might be good, and then I have them look at the samples. Again we talk through what they like or don't like about how things are presented.

I've found that involving them in the decision process in this way gives us a much better chance of successfully matching a curriculum and child, even for subjects they don't like. Sometimes of course I just choose and they aren't involved as much--but I've never regretted the times I have involved them.

Merry :-)

great thread. as I end my first year home educating, I think I am in denial about switching. I really love sonlight, my younger really loves sonlight, she is flying through it. but my older is struggling with the comprehension questions. she loves to read but when presented with the questions, i get a blank stare, on.every.question.

so I think a switch is needed, much to my dismay...but not really sure where to go.

robin in nj

Maybe the switch needed isn't so much from the books as it is in your approach. How about having her narrate instead of answering the comprehension questions? You'll achieve the same goal--did she understand the chapter, did she follow it etc... Sometimes those comprehension questions are ridiculous, pulling out minutiae that are not even things I'd focus on--I really didn't use them in the lower levels at all. We just read the books and discussed what we were interested in. Anyway, just a thought! If you all love Sonlight, just drop the questions instead.

I have to say though, I am wondering what losing things under the refrigerator means?

Too many moving or small parts, that's what. For instance, I started out with Saxon K for phonics. Aside from the slow progression (which was boring all of us) I lost patience with the stupid little letter tiles. I liked to have them available because it was fun to take them out and spell with them whenever we wanted. But they had a tendency to get swept of the table with an elbow and somehow they would crawl underneath the refrigerator.

Which is why I am still on the fence about AAS.:glare:

Too many moving or small parts, that's what. For instance, I started out with Saxon K for phonics. Aside from the slow progression (which was boring all of us) I lost patience with the stupid little letter tiles. I liked to have them available because it was fun to take them out and spell with them whenever we wanted. But they had a tendency to get swept of the table with an elbow and somehow they would crawl underneath the refrigerator.

This is funny, because I knew exactly what you meant, and thought, "Does this mean that All About Spelling is off the table?"

For my part, I decided to go ahead and get AAS anyhow. I've got a cookie sheet (bought for $1 at a yard sale, after I'd made sure magnets will stick to it) and a card box (cost a bit more at an office supply store), and I just stick the whole thing on a high shelf. The cookie sheet is the kind with sides, and it holds everything with plenty to spare, and doesn't even hang over the front of the shelf much.

I'm hoping that all this will keep the set with out of the way of my younger two. Of course, we haven't actually started lessons yet. Who knows what'll happen then, right?

I've got a cookie sheet (bought for $1 at a yard sale, after I'd made sure magnets will stick to it) and a card box (cost a bit more at an office supply store), and I just stick the whole thing on a high shelf. The cookie sheet is the kind with sides, and it holds everything with plenty to spare, and doesn't even hang over the front of the shelf much.

Shelf space is at a premium in our house. But the cookie sheet is a good idea to think about. I'm actually thinking of building a square table with a raised edge for working with our pattern blocks in math. I'd like to have them out more, but they also slither under the refrigerator if not supervised.

We have switched for:

• screams of loathing and rage (OPGTR)
  • boredom (FLL)
  • need more, faster (Right Start)
  • need more, faster (Singapore)
  • child can't bear the thought of 7 years of 25-word lists (SS)
  • unspeakably horrible program (Power Glide, SWO)
  • everyone hated it (Rosetta Stone)

Otherwise, we've finished what we've started, re-evaluating near the completion of each level.

I do take the girls into consideration, but I don't really switch unless I have a problem with it.

When we have switched math programs, it's been because she hasn't been learning from them for whatever reason.

I dropped SL LA because there was little in the way of actual instruction, especially in writing.

FLL 3 was painfully boring. SWO was busywork. Saxon made me want to stab my eyes out.

It's hard to put into words, but I have expectations for the girls' progress throughout the year and if a curriculum is not meeting those expectations, I start to look more closely.

We switched math curriculum (from A Beka to Singapore for DS1 and MCP for DS2) because of learning styles. Both boys seemed to need a mastery based math curriculum rather than spiral. We switched from BJU Heritage Studies 1 to SOTW1 because the boys were bored and BJU just didn't do justice to anything it taught (IMO). It gave 2 paragraphs to the Vikings. When we studied the Vikings with SOTW we spent 2 weeks on them. Plus, I just didn't feel it leant itself to further studies as well as SOTW. SOTW is written so you can go as in-depth on a subject as you want or not. Those are the only two that we dropped. The rest are working for us.

Well, if a child just whines a bit I certainly don't switch. I WILL switch if I can't figure out how to teach it, if it bores ME to tears, or if I re-evaluate and find that our needs don't call for that subject at the moment (I often restart at a later date in this case).

Shelf space is at a premium in our house. But the cookie sheet is a good idea to think about. I'm actually thinking of building a square table with a raised edge for working with our pattern blocks in math. I'd like to have them out more, but they also slither under the refrigerator if not supervised.

I've heard of some using 2 cookie sheets--one for storage, one for workspace.

I've heard of some using 2 cookie sheets--one for storage, one for workspace.

Currently the cookie sheets are stored in an upright fashion next to the microwave because the drawer space is not the right size to fit them.:glare: The only flat space available is on top of the kitchen cabinets, not exactly accessible. And you should see the size of some of these geometric designs they come up with!

For the tiles I did try to keep them up in a covered dish, but they still escaped over time. I think the great break-out happened when "somebody"(dh) needed that container and thought the tiles would be okay in an open dish.

I'd just as soon be teaching than wrangling the props, if that makes any sense.

Any opinions?

I think as moms that we generally have a pretty strong sense of whether our children are simply trying to get out of their work or if the materials that we are using are truly not presenting the material in a way that they can understand and which helps them to develop a love for the subject. I want to help my children to develop a love for as many different "subjects" as possible. I want my children to enjoy the materials that we use, I don't want to use resources that simply "get the job done" without taking into account the personalities or learning styles of my children. I am homeschooling because I want my children to have an educational experience that is tailored to them as individuals as much as possible.

I have made changes when the materials are boring, uninteresting, not connecting with the child due to a learning style preference, or because I have found something that we just plain like better. The way that we do school stays the same but I do change materials when we need a different way of presenting something or if we find things that we'd rather be spending our time on. My time with my children at home in our homeschool is limited and I don't want to use up our precious time with materials that don't inspire them to love the subject, no matter what it is, and no matter how well it seems to be working. I want to use things that work AND that we enjoy.

I don't ever change what I expect them to learn but I will make changes in the materials that we use to learn whatever it is. Fortunately, we have stuck with one math curriculum for five years (we have supplemented a little bit with others but kept our main program the same) and our LA choices have been quite consistent, but I would and will make changes in those areas if I thought I needed to.

Edited by Donna T.

1. If it has mistakes in it. A few typos I can live with. A few grammar mistakes make me stabby, but I can overlook if all else is good. But wrong information is completely unacceptable.

2. If it has a bias that doesn't agree with my worldview and is so in my face that I can't work around it.

3. If it's difficult for me to implement (I really don't like spending more time planning than teaching or having to scrounge for materials that I don't have on hand).

4. If it's not effectively teaching the subject matter. If my boys and I are following the material to the letter and they still aren't getting the concepts or improving their skills, it's time to try something with a different approach.

5. If we all are heavy with dread just thinking about having to do that subject. It's one thing to complain about something being difficult when it is challenging, but when it's really not fun for any of us, we have to see if there's something better suited for our personalities.

I've found that involving them in the decision process in this way gives us a much better chance of successfully matching a curriculum and child, even for subjects they don't like. Sometimes of course I just choose and they aren't involved as much--but I've never regretted the times I have involved them.

:iagree: My oldest has been a great help in decisions!! This is also helpful if the choice doesn't work and then I don't have to take all the blame. :tongue_smilie: I really didn't include my son until this year as his maturity improved and he was capable of making pro/con list and we were able to have a good discussion.

I certainly don't switch just because a kid complains. But, I am open to switching for many reasons. I tend to switch when we should have stuck with it and not switch when we should have switched. Hind sight is 20/20 thing! No regrets, but I was needing a book the other day and realized I had bought it and sold it already and in the past I couldn't think of any reason why I needed to keep it. I had no idea how different my two boys are in regards to teaching styles. :lol:

A very large part of our decision to homeschool was that public school couldn't change the curricululm to fit individual students.

As a tutor, I learned that very often, attitude problems can be traced back to difficulty with the subject being taught. Students with the worst attitudes were generally feeling bad because they didn't understand the material, and that feeling bad translated into sulking and so forth. It didn't come from no where, it came from genuine stuggles. So, if a curriculum is producing tears, I figure it's my job to ferret out what the problem is...Are there gaps in the foundation? Does this student need a different learning style to be emphasized? More structure? More freedom? Slow down? Less busywork? If I can't make the current curriculum fit the needs that I ferret out, it's time to move on instead of digging a deeper hole by getting further behind and confused and reluctant.

On the other hand, if I ferret out that the problem is a misunderstanding, like "Why can't I have my entire summer off?" or "Why am I learning such simple spelling words?" THEN we have a conversation to address the rationale for year-round school, or how the AAS words are building blocks toward bigger words instead of being limited to only the words you study on a list. Usually, if I take the time to explain, I can get my student to come back on board with a much better attitude.

Only a very few things have I ever pressed on despite tears. Usually that has to do with subjects where there is a huge fear of failure (due to prior schooling or learning disabilities)....at that point I become a cheerleader for how I've picked the very best effective curriculum I could find, and it's going to help this subject become easier, but we have to put in the practice, and I will be there to hold hands, etc., etc., but we ARE going to do this, one small step at a time. That's really the only circumstance in which I press to stick with a curriculum, when I'm sure it's the best one for remediating a dreaded subject for that particular student.

Sometimes moeny prevents switching as soon as I'd like, but I don't see the value in sticking with something that isn't working.

MUS! yes, Math U See is just like that. <sigh>

:iagree: My oldest has been a great help in decisions!! This is also helpful if the choice doesn't work and then I don't have to take all the blame. :tongue_smilie: I really didn't include my son until this year as his maturity improved and he was capable of making pro/con list and we were able to have a good discussion.

SWB, at the Cincinnati Convention said that having kids help pick out, or pick out on their own, a curriculum is not a bad thing. They will be more inclined to do it, because they picked it out, and well, they don't want to admit they are wrong, do they?!?!?! It was in her 'Teaching the.......Child' talk, which I *HIGHLY* recommend.

The first time I included my son was when he was 7. We had been using Miquon & he hated it and really wasn't understanding things. I showed him a Singapore workbook at the end of that year. He looked at it, then showed me the Miquon book and said, "The writers of this book don't want kids to understand math!" (Oh my, that still makes me laugh! And I think Miquon is great, but just a terrible fit for this kid who doesn't want to learn from a discovery-oriented method--nor did he want me to show him!) We did Singapore for a year, but the next year did more research, I showed him online samples etc... and ended up with Horizons which we used for the duration. Obviously as a 7 or 8 yo, he had less input, but oh so valuable!!

To clarify: what do you mean by "core"? I mean, substituting what I've heard termed "skills-based" subjects for "core" subjects makes sense here. You don't want to switch math or grammar "mid-stream" willy-nilly, as it were, because they build on themselves but different programs have them building differently.

But something like literature, history, science, or Bible, which I would also consider core subjects, is okay to switch, particularly at the end of a semester or year, if your child seems bored with the old one or its simply run its course.

So, do you have a narrower definition of "core" than I do, or a good reason not to mess with "content-based" curricula either? (Beyond retreading the same old ground fifty times, I mean. That one is a mistake.)

Core for me would be the 3Rs at my dc's ages. I could see switching writing curricula easier than phonics or math but I wouldn't want to switch between writing philosophies without a lot of thought. I don't consider lit, history, science, or Bible core subjects. Bible would be borderline for me except it isn't a skill-based subject.

I've only changed curriculum once. Spelling Workout wasn't teaching my son how to spell. The workbook format was just busy work and at the end of the week he would miss up to half the list words. I dropped it mid-year and went with a notebook/phonics style. He is learning to spell from the words he needs to write and is now, more often then not, correctly spelling new words as well as familiar ones. ya!

On the flip side, he complains and grumbles about math, but he is learning, so I am not going to switch math programs. It's exercising his brain and I think he doesn't want to work that hard.:glare:

Edited by Tam101

I don't know why you wouldn't switch if something is not working. That's one of the best benefits of homeschooling.

I agree with this.

I stick with things if they are working and move on if they aren't. I know what our goals are for learning, and I have never seen any disadvantage to using a wide variety of resources.