Menu

If you are RC or EO...

...may I ask why? Specifically, why are you RC instead of EO or vice versa?

I'm close friends with a family that is converting from atheism/agnosticism to either Catholicism or Orthodoxy. They are looking for the church that Jesus founded and have narrowed their choices down to RC and EO, but now they are having a very hard time finding where they belong. They alternate going to Mass and Divine Liturgy, and love both of them and feel very comfortable at both churches. There are parts of EO theology that they are more drawn to, as well as parts of RC theology that they prefer. They have read and understand both sides, but are struggling with finding the truth.

Any stories or advice would be much appreciated. Please keep this thread civil and feel free to PM me if you prefer.

Thank you so much. :)

I was baptized Catholic when I was 4yo, eventually confirmed in the Church, so it never occurred to me to seriously investigate EO. I did visit an Orthodox church once but was not drawn to it...which isn't always the best reason, but still...

I believe the Catholic Church's position on which one is the Church founded by Jesus. I guess it comes down to that, really.

I was also baptized Catholic,and confirmed. Then became atheist. When I was called back, I had to look at the possibility of choosing a church. I was very anti-Catholic by then.

What won was that the Catholic Church is the See of St Peter. (am I translating that right? It looks funny).

While I'm ready to admit it may be due to my upbringing, because it's something I never really studied, but I do believe in the supremacy of Peter, as being the Rock. (the verse makes more sense in French too, so probably had a greater impact on me: "Pierre, tu es Pierre, et sur cette pierre je bĂƒÂ¢tirai mon Ăƒâ€°glise")

For me it had to do with the lack of "change" in EO. Also, if there was to be a council and they decided to make a change it still had to pass muster with the general people. (Sorry, someone who has been at this longer can explain this better).

The other biggie is EO's stand on Original Sin.

When my husband and I began investigating (him long before me), we both thought EO sounded very interesting, appealing and beautiful. Eventually, we knew we would have to convert away from our previous sect of Christianity. As lovely as Orthodoxy sounded, we became Catholic instead. The keys of Heaven were given to Peter and his successors to lead the church, and we're Westerners. While the East seemed exotic, it is not our cultural, philosophical or historical background. Had my family not left traditional, orthodox Christianity (and by that I mean EO/RC) generations ago, they all would have been Catholics not Orthodox.

But I still find EO beautiful and consider them brothers in the fullness of faith.

When my husband and I began investigating (him long before me), we both thought EO sounded very interesting, appealing and beautiful. Eventually, we knew we would have to convert away from our previous sect of Christianity. As lovely as Orthodoxy sounded, we became Catholic instead. The keys of Heaven were given to Peter and his successors to lead the church, and we're Westerners. While the East seemed exotic, it is not our cultural, philosophical or historical background. Had my family not left traditional, orthodox Christianity (and by that I mean EO/RC) generations ago, they all would have been Catholics not Orthodox.

But I still find EO beautiful and consider them brothers in the fullness of faith.

I think with my family it came down to this, too. We went to a few EO liturgies. I loved them and thought them so extraordinarily beautiful, but the feel of the service was so foreign. So deeply ethnic. I knew that my family wouldn't adapt well, we're westerners like Oraetstudia said.

Edited by justamouse

Where I was 15 years ago when I was searching, the Orthodox Church was very fragmented. There was no Church, just churches that all held their own ethnic traditions and that were not entirely in agreement with one another. I was looking for unity and authority, and I wasn't able to find it there.

I have the utmost respect for the Orthodox faith and all the lovely EO women we have here. They are truly my sisters in Christ.

:iagree: or the Western Rite of the EOC.:tongue_smilie::D

No offense, just thought the confluence would be funny.:D

How interesting! I knew that there was a Eastern Rite, but I had no idea there was a Western Rite of the EOC.

It's like a Venn Diagram.

There has been an accusation going around that those of us that chose or look into EO do so because 1) high liturgy and 2) can't "swallow" the Pope as the "final authority" (my apologies, but this is a false accusation that needs to be dispelled. I would not go presuming why someone chooses the RC over EO).

I was given a choice between the EO and the RC. I was also familiar with both as we have friends that are RC (one that is closer than family) and family that had converted to EO. We were already appreciative of "high church" due to being Reformed prior to conversion. Both the RC and the EO have this. On the issue of the Pope, I don't have a problem with the Pope and, in fact, the position and person has my respect. I believe in how things are shown in Scripture and History and that would mean that I believe that he was the first amoung EQUALS, not that he is the end of the line at the top, above others.

Coming from a background full of spiritual abuse, I appreciate (and believe in) the way the EO balances the Church and the Leaders in a way that the RC does not.

The EO sees the spiritual life as a journey. I don't have to hold to all the tenets immediately or understand everything before conversion. They took me, a Puritan, where I was and let me grow, let God work on me, and there was no judgment. I've changed a lot in the past two years and no longer call myself a Puritan.

I'm a TCK. I'm tired of being told that I have to fit everyone's mold. Nope, doesn't work. I actually do better in a culture that UNDERSTANDS (this is different than simply knowing) that I'm not what they are and was not raised as they were. The EO has been very gracious with me where I don't think your typical American RC would be.

I agree with the EO view of Mary's Assumption, rather than the RC view.

Paedo Communion is more consistent with Paedo Baptism (this is something that had been studied before considering either, as it's a debate amoungst Reformed). And even the RC have admitted that this is something that they changed.

Reading about the Great Schism, I side with the EO as it was the RC that wanted to make changes that were not accepted by the rest of the Church.

Working through History, I fall more on the side of how the EO handled mission work amoungst other cultures, with respect to those cultures, than how the RC handled things many times.

The amount of political intrigue and manipulations throughout history are seen in the RC in a way I have not seen it when reading about the EO.

The Church Tradition of the Early Church Fathers do not reflect some of todays RC's teachings, but still reflect the EO's teachings (Dh's addition and falls with what I stated above about the Great Schism. From what he has read and studied the EO has truly remained unchanged throughout the ages in it's Traditions and Doctrine).

I agree with the EO view of Iconography over the RC's Statuaries (though this is a smaller issue with me now than it was when first converting), particularly since I was coming from an Iconoclastic POV.

I agree with the EO view on Priests and Marriage, not the RC ban on it in most of their Churches or in history.

I agree with the EO taking circumstances and context into consideration with some of their views, rather than making a sweeping, dogmatic decree (aka methods of birth control/sterilization. The EO is against birth control, but takes into consideration a mother's health, etc is still against abortifacient forms of birth control, but is not against natural, barrier, or sterilisation when necessary. The RC view is simply, NFP/FAM or nothing...which, having been there, does NOT work for everyone).

The EO's view of Original Sin.

The EO is not as "judicial" as the RC is. I'm burnt out on the pounding out every doctrine and bit of theology until the horse is dead and we state that we know who God is, how He works, etc, etc, as though we know everything about Him, better than He does (something the Reformed inherited from the RC). My years with all of that wiped me out in so many ways. I'm fine with God and His ways being a Mystery and something that I will never fully understand.

There's more, but these are off the top of my head. Please, to my RC sisters, do not take offense to what I have said. These are MY reasons and MY views and MY beliefs. I understand and respect that you believe differently and still I see a lot of connection between us. I don't believe unity will happen in my lifetime, but maybe one day (if not here, at least we will have it in Heaven).

Edited by mommaduck

To be honest: We visited the local Catholic church when the kids were in Catholic school K. If that particular church had been warm and engaging, we might be Catholic now. Instead is was full of politics, liberal vs. conservative infighting, and snobbery. Because this took up so much of their time, there was no emphasis in welcoming and instructing newcomers.

(I know that is a reflection of that church, not the Church as a whole! Sadly, many EO churches sound like that above. Human nature. sigh)

8 years later we visited the EO church, had a completely different experience and now we are EO. The theology came after our heart was hooked.

For me, though, I see now that I need something non-western. I can easily get lost in the intellectual world, and Catholicism and Anglicanism give me too much room to play in the theological clouds and still consider myself well along the path. In the EO church the title of 'theologian' comes to those who live it, not just know about it. It really keeps me honest :D.

My obstacles in life seem different for the many happy Catholic and Anglicans I know; they are fine with the Western format. It's all about where God puts us, for our salvation.

To be honest: We visited the local Catholic church when the kids were in Catholic school K. If that particular church had been warm and engaging, we might be Catholic now. Instead is was full of politics, liberal vs. conservative infighting, and snobbery. Because this took up so much of their time, there was no emphasis in welcoming and instructing newcomers.

(I know that is a reflection of that church, not the Church as a whole! Sadly, many EO churches sound like that above. Human nature. sigh)

8 years later we visited the EO church, had a completely different experience and now we are EO. The theology came after our heart was hooked.

For me, though, I see now that I need something non-western. I can easily get lost in the intellectual world, and Catholicism and Anglicanism give me too much room to play in the theological clouds and still consider myself well along the path. In the EO church the title of 'theologian' comes to those who live it, not just know about it. It really keeps me honest :D.

My obstacles in life seem different for the many happy Catholic and Anglicans I know; they are fine with the Western format. It's all about where God puts us, for our salvation.

EO quote is somewhere along the lines of "a theologian is someone who lives a life of prayer".

*and please tell me that I did not just kill this thread*

Edited by mommaduck

I could write out a long answer, but the bottom line is the Roman Catholic Church is my home. Wherever I've traveled, when I've been depressed, when I've been convinced that God is a hopeful dream, even when I've been angry and mad at certain doctrines, I can enter any Catholic Church and know immediately I'm home. In the end, it's a spiritual, heart issue.

I have investigated Eastern Orthodoxy off and on over the last ten years, but the bottom line is it's never felt like home - even with the beautiful liturgy.

Thank you all so much for your responses. You have all given me many ideas to think about and pass along to my friends.

(the verse makes more sense in French too, so probably had a greater impact on me: "Pierre, tu es Pierre, et sur cette pierre je bĂƒÂ¢tirai mon Ăƒâ€°glise")

I completely agree about the verse in French having a strong impact. I remember thinking, "Wow, that makes so much sense!" when I first heard it.

I think with my family it came down to this, too. We went to a few EO liturgies. I loved them and thought them so extraordinarily beautiful, but the feel of the service was so foreign. So deeply ethnic. I knew that my family wouldn't adapt well, we're westerners like Oraetstudia said.

Where I was 15 years ago when I was searching, the Orthodox Church was very fragmented. There was no Church, just churches that all held their own ethnic traditions and that were not entirely in agreement with one another. I was looking for unity and authority, and I wasn't able to find it there.

I have the utmost respect for the Orthodox faith and all the lovely EO women we have here. They are truly my sisters in Christ.

You have all said exactly why I did not become EO. When I started exploring orthodox Christianity the EOC did not really seem to be an option for me. There was a Greek Orthodox Church just down the street from where I lived, but everyone who went there was Greek, and there was also a Ukrainian Orthodox Church nearby, but again, only Ukrainians went there. I've been to various Orthodox churches since becoming Catholic and I think Divine Liturgy is absolutely lovely, but I'm very happy with my faith and see no need to convert.

How about looking into the Eastern rite of the RCC? They might be the best of both worlds for your friends.

:iagree: or the Western Rite of the EOC.:tongue_smilie::D

No offense, just thought the confluence would be funny.:D

I never knew there was a Western Rite in the EOC. I'll ask if my friends have looked into either of these. They certainly might be a good fit, but I know there aren't any Eastern Rite RC churches even remotely close to where we live and there probably aren't any Western Rite EO churches nearby either.

I'm a TCK.

There's more, but these are off the top of my head. Please, to my RC sisters, do not take offense to what I have said. These are MY reasons and MY views and MY beliefs. I understand and respect that you believe differently and still I see a lot of connection between us. I don't believe unity will happen in my lifetime, but maybe one day (if not here, at least we will have it in Heaven).

Mommaduck, thank you so much for listing your reasons. I do not agree with everything you have said, but I agree that there are so many similarities between our churches. I pray they will be reunited soon.

I'm sure this is very obvious, but what is a TCK?

:grouphug: I'm so sorry this happened to you.

:grouphug: I'm so sorry this happened to you.

All things in God's time, you know? We weren't ready for a true conversion to anything. Had to hit bottom first!

I love the Catholic Church, and pray daily for us to be reunited... hopefully in my lifetime, but certainly communing together after. :)\

Thank you for your sensitive and thoughtful posts on the matter.

what is a TCK?

Third Culture Kid...we're a different breed ;) :lol:

I know it varies place to place, but I attend a Greek Orthodox Church. We're not Greek, we have an Eritrean congregation worshiping with us, some hispanics, and plenty of people from various other backgrounds and ethnicities/cultures. Now, my first time there, a Greek woman noted I wasn't Greek, noted I had a lot of children, then asked me why I wasn't at the "Irish Church" (which is what one of the local RCC's used to be known as, even though it's full of Hispanics now).

My best friend is a TCK. Wow! I have learned a ton about the challenges and blessings for being a TCK. I keep telling her about EO because I think it would fit her like it fits you. Or rather, she would fit to it! :)

Our church is Greek too, but the overwhelming majority are converts or later generations that consider themselves American before Greek. I kid everyone that I am Texan, and therefore have as much culture as anybody. The truth is that I am more tied in to being Texan than most in my congregation are in being their ethnicity. I am quite obnoxious about it too, suggesting we make Moon Pies and peanut brittle for the bake sale and do the two-step at the Pascha party. Heck, I even offered to read the Gospel for Pascha Agape Vespers in my twang right up there with the Spanish and Russian, but they did not take my up on my offer! :D

My best friend is a TCK. Wow! I have learned a ton about the challenges and blessings for being a TCK. I keep telling her about EO because I think it would fit her like it fits you. Or rather, she would fit to it! :)

Our church is Greek too, but the overwhelming majority are converts or later generations that consider themselves American before Greek. I kid everyone that I am Texan, and therefore have as much culture as anybody. The truth is that I am more tied in to being Texan than most in my congregation are in being their ethnicity. I am quite obnoxious about it too, suggesting we make Moon Pies and peanut brittle for the bake sale and do the two-step at the Pascha party. Heck, I even offered to read the Gospel for Pascha Agape Vespers in my twang right up there with the Spanish and Russian, but they did not take my up on my offer! :D

:lol: I've considered attempting to translate it into Cherokee...not sure if they would go for it though.

Jesus didn't "found" any church. He came to Earth to die for our sins as the ultimate sacrifice (many steps were taken to lead up to that). Then the apostles went out and spread the Good News. You may want to encourage your friends to look for a Bible church (usually has "Bible" in its name) - one where the Pastor teaches and reads from the Bible during his sermon.

So, are you Roman Catholic or Eastern Orthodox? Can't tell from your post, as both Catholic and Orthodox priests read from or quote the Bible in their sermons, not to mention the whole rest of the service...

I know that there are several Eastern churches which are in full communion with the Roman Catholic Church, but I didn't know which ones. So I googled. :D There's a great list on this site:

http://www.catholicforum.com/forums/showthread.php?26477-the-Byzantine-Church

Scroll down to Templar's post listing the different ones. I don't know if any have been since added, or if this is 100% correct, but it looks good. :tongue_smilie:

Jesus didn't "found" any church. He came to Earth to die for our sins as the ultimate sacrifice (many steps were taken to lead up to that). Then the apostles went out and spread the Good News. You may want to encourage your friends to look for a Bible church (usually has "Bible" in its name) - one where the Pastor teaches and reads from the Bible during his sermon.

Ahhh... more misconceptions and from the tone of it a bit of hate, or at least intense dislike, for things not understood.

Hey, I go to one of those. The Catholic Church reads from the Bible at every single Mass, multiple times. And then teaches about that.

I am sorry you have so many misconceptions. This one is pretty easy to correct.

Ahhh... more misconceptions and from the tone of it a bit of hate, or at least intense dislike, for things not understood.

No hate or dislike at all. I'm sorry it came across that way. I simply meant to offer a suggestion. There was no intent to 'ruffle feathers'. Again, I'm sorry it came across that way.

Jesus didn't "found" any church. He came to Earth to die for our sins as the ultimate sacrifice (many steps were taken to lead up to that). Then the apostles went out and spread the Good News. You may want to encourage your friends to look for a Bible church (usually has "Bible" in its name).

Thanks for the suggestion, but my friends have BTDT and it's not for them.

I know that there are several Eastern churches which are in full communion with the Roman Catholic Church' date=' but I didn't know which ones. So I googled. :D There's a great list on this site:

http://www.catholicforum.com/forums/showthread.php?26477-the-Byzantine-Church

Scroll down to Templar's post listing the different ones. I don't know if any have been since added, or if this is 100% correct, but it looks good. :tongue_smilie:[/quote']

I just glanced at thread you linked to and it's very interesting. Thanks so much, I'll go back and check it out in more detail.

I know it varies place to place, but I attend a Greek Orthodox Church. We're not Greek, we have an Eritrean congregation worshiping with us, some hispanics, and plenty of people from various other backgrounds and ethnicities/cultures. Now, my first time there, a Greek woman noted I wasn't Greek, noted I had a lot of children, then asked me why I wasn't at the "Irish Church" (which is what one of the local RCC's used to be known as, even though it's full of Hispanics now).

Ahhh.. Third Culture Kid makes so much more sense than some of the things I was thinking of. :lol:

I'm sorry if I implied that all Orthodox churches are very ethnic. I agree that that is not the case! I've been to a Greek Orthodox Church (which is the one my friends are going to) that is very welcoming of everyone. I can walk in there with my British accent and not feel at all out of place. Going to Mass in French with my Dh is a whole different story. :)

Edited by Aquinas Academy
Typo

TCK, meaning your heritage, your country and your adopted culture? Am I messing that one up?

Any of the above. It initially applied to those that left the US to live elsewhere, but also applies to those that have simply been transient (military brats are transient both at home and abroad...but then you also have missionary kids and kids of international business people or international political figures such as ambassadors). I was a military brat. I also was raised outside my culture in that I was raised by my stepdad, never fit in, never was good enough...found my dad's family, lo and behold, I "get them"! I was also denied part of my heritage. I was raised to be "white" (difficult for me to explain that one), but the military is multicultural as well as a culture unto itself...that and heritage ruined that for my stepdad as I was never "white enough" (I was even forced to change my accent as he related it to a certain ethnicity, though it was regional...funny thing, found out that I more than likely have that ethnicity in me along with other non-white ethnicities).

Edited by mommaduck

Any of the above. It initially applied to those that left the US to live elsewhere, but also applies to those that have simply been transient (military brats are transient both at home and abroad...but then you also have missionary kids and kids of international business people or international political figures such as ambassadors). I was a military brat. I also was raised outside my culture in that I was raised by my stepdad, never fit in, never was good enough...found my dad's family, lo and behold, I "get them"! I was also denied part of my heritage. I was raised to be "white" (difficult for me to explain that one), but the military is multicultural as well as a culture unto itself...that and heritage ruined that for my stepdad as I was never "white enough" (I was even forced to change my accent as he related it to a certain ethnicity, though it was regional...funny thing, found out that I more than likely have that ethnicity in me along with other non-white ethnicities).

Ow. Why didn't they just tie your left hand down too, or were you already right handed?

I'm 1/2 Brazilian raised by my Irish Nana and then my Mom remarried a Swede/Englishman. I *never* felt right. I always knew I was different. I totally understand that, and I think if I ever find my father, I'll have the same reaction.

Thanks for the explanation.

/hijack.

Ow. Why didn't they just tie your left hand down too, or were you already right handed?

I'm 1/2 Brazilian raised by my Irish Nana and then my Mom remarried a Swede/Englishman. I *never* felt right. I always knew I was different. I totally understand that, and I think if I ever find my father, I'll have the same reaction.

Thanks for the explanation.

/hijack.

PM me if you ever want help in the search ;) And no, I'm left handed, but my left-handed stepdad taunted me about not being "truly left handed" (because I am ambidextrous on many things and use right handed scissors).

I was born, baptized, communed, confirmed, and married Catholic. The Roman Catholic church is my home. I've never looked elsewhere and never felt a need to. I know that I'm in the One Holy Apostolic Church that Christ himself started.

Amen! And me,too.

I was born, baptized, communed, confirmed, and married Catholic. The Roman Catholic church is my home. I've never looked elsewhere and never felt a need to. I know that I'm in the One Holy Apostolic Church that Christ himself started.

*contented sigh* That is so lovely. As a convert, I've never had this experience, but I pray my children will.

Edited by Aquinas Academy
another typo

Although I was tehnically not born EO, I basically grew up in the Church because my parents converted to Orthodoxy when I was 7. They both came from RC homes, and my dad's mom was especially devout. She made sure to take my dad and his brothers to mass as often as possible. But both of my parents moved away from RC and began going to Protestant churches (I think they both ended up in a Pentecostal church, which is where they met and got married). Eventually they became part of a movement of Evangelical Protestants who called themselves the Evangelical Orthodox Church. They were a group that was looking for the "original" church founded by the apostles. They had been studying Orthodoxy and had set up their worship to be like the divine liturgy. Eventually the leaders of this group realized that all that remained for them to do was actually convert. So they went to the Greeks, who said no, and I may be wrong, but I think they tried another ethnic group and were rejected again, but finally they went to the Antiochian church, which accepted them en masse and literally hundreds of people all came into the Orthodox church as one group.

My parents belonged to the only parish in the group that chose not to convert with the rest, but by that time my dad could see that the only place for him was Orthodoxy. My mom wasn't exactly convinced at that point, but she decided to take a leap of faith and we converted as a family.

I know that this is a long post to explain a journey that was hardly mine, but I wanted to share it because my parents' history has shaped my own perception of Orthodoxy and I cannot imagine myself being anywhere else. There is no other place for me, because the fullness of the faith is all here in the EOC. I am surrounded by such richness and beauty that it blows my mind and I know I could never be satisfied with anything less.

I was RC all my life until 3 years ago when I converted to EO. My dh is still RC. I won't get into all the reasons for the change, but I agree to most of what mommaduck posted above. There were a few RC doctrines that were difficult for me to assent to, and I appreciated the mystery and "organicness" of the EOC.

For us [Orthodox], it was history. The book I read as we started our journey to the Orthodox faith was actually the story of a Pentecostal preacher's conversion to the Roman Catholic church. Two things happened while I was reading: one, I learned that there was a church history we could know. In my 23 years of Christianity, I had not known that (well, I knew there must be, I just didn't think it mattered). I really appreciated that about this book. The other thing that happened was that I was never convinced by what he wrote that a church united under one leader, the Pope, was the way the early church functioned. I was confused by this, since he was saying the early church was the Catholic church.

Since I had a foggy recollection/knowledge of Orthodoxy, and since I believe the author mentioned it in his book, I spent the entire day after finishing this book researching Orthodoxy on the internet. I could barely breathe and time flew by. I know this is different from what my Catholic friends believe, but I wholeheartedly believe the Orthodox church to be the original church, the "one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church" of the Nicene Creed. We see the church of the first 1000 years as conciliar (including the church as seen in the Bible), not as one led by a singular bishop, and we love that it's still this way today (less that one bishop; here's hoping for reconciliation, too!). Like mommaduck stated, we didn't see changes in Orthodoxy that we saw in Catholicism when we looked into it.

So my husband and I got to a point of asking, if this [original] church still exists, why would we not want to be a part of it? And we pursued conversion. I do understand that it would have been a bit difficult if the only church we had near us was a highly ethnic one (or if there had been no church at all within reach), but we would still have pursued Orthodoxy all the same because of where we were led in our search.

Edited by milovanĂƒÂ½

This is me (and my dh) as well. :)

Like many others, I was born and raised Catholic. In my early 20's, I sort of "fell away" for awhile, but kept being pulled back.

To me, the difference is the Eucharist. When I began going to Adoration, I knew I was home.

There are many beautiful things about the EO church, and I would love to see a reconciliation between the EO and RC churches.

As lovely as Orthodoxy sounded, we became Catholic instead. The keys of Heaven were given to Peter and his successors to lead the church, and we're Westerners. While the East seemed exotic, it is not our cultural, philosophical or historical background.

:iagree:

I love this!

How about looking into the Eastern rite of the RCC? They might be the best of both worlds for your friends.

If you could, would you PM or post somewhere I could find information on that?

I really couldn't be EO - I had a hard enough time finding a good Catholic church in my area! :)

Anyway, I was raised Catholic in a really bad parish in the 70s. As a young adult, I left the church but still wanted to attend a church. I met my future dh and began attending his mom's church, a small independent fundamentalist church. Dh had been raised Catholic at a much better parish, but his mom had left the Catholic church due to bitterness about many issues.

Dh and I loved each other very much and wanted to get married, but I was not going to marry someone who was a different religion. Maybe it was childish, but my parents were different religions and had an unhappy marriage, while my best friend's parents were the same religion and had a very happy marriage. However, dh could not stand the fundy churches (he is very reserved in church!) and only wanted to be Catholic. So, an impasse.

By this point he and I had been dating nearly 3 years. We had stopped once but couldn't stay away from each other! I had prayed and prayed and prayed and I know he had also. Then one day I was praying yet again about this issue, just so confused because I felt he was the one but we couldn't resolve this issue. While I was praying, I felt as though Jesus was impressing on me, "The church where you see Me is the one you belong at."

Immediately, I thought, "Oh, that's the fundamentalist church! The people are so warm and loving and you can really see Jesus in them..."

About a week later, I felt a strong urge to go to a Thursday evening Mass. I hadn't been to Mass in ages. I went to the church and realized that the entire Mass was actually Scripture! Duh, "responsorial psalm" means "from the Book of Psalms" - told you my religious education was bad! Then as the priest began the Consecration, I began seeing smoke around the altar, and at the Elevation, I saw Jesus. I saw His Face in the Host. And I cried. And knew I was home.

Very shortly after that, dh asked me to marry him. We had a beautiful Catholic wedding! And I've been making up for my rotten education ever since.

Oh wow Cathmom what a beautiful gift you were given! I had equally good instruction in the faith. :tongue_smilie: It's through homeschooling that I've been learning about our beautiful faith. :)

I've heard that the "smoke" around the altar is sometimes seen as a haze and is actually the Angels surrounding the altar during the Consecration.

We recently converted to Catholicism, because this is where God clearly led us. I know very little about EO, other than bits and pieces I have recently learned, since our conversion process. It does interest me, I feel that EO/RC has MUCH more in common that RC/Protestantism (obviously) so I respect that, but I do believe the Catholic Church is the place for us, because of the events that led us here.