Menu

What's your favorite song?

What's your favorite song and WHY?

I had a good friend ask me this question this past week and so I shared the title and she said she had never heard it, so I found it on youtube and emailed it to her. In response she emailed me back that surely I must be joking. I was TOTALLY serious. My friend thought it odd that I liked it since I was a happily married woman and its about a breakup. told her that I didn't have to experience it to appreciate it's beauty.

It sparked my curiosity as to what songs appeal to married ladies my age (who are likely my age-ish/doing similar things in life -- raising kids, homeschooling, etc.).

So, I'd love for you to share yours as I'm really going to check out all your choices...may take me a while). And, if possible, see if it may be on youtube to see it being performed......

I'll start off with my favorite song:

IN YOUR ATMOSPHERE by John Mayer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUY5jh33UvA&feature=fvsr

(I esp love from 4:15 ish to the very end)

Here's WHY I like it:

I think this is a fabulous song.

Lyrics (for those saying, "What's he saying?")

Song begins I don't think I'm going to LA anymore....

I love this song! In addition to his fabulous guitar playing, it's a beautiful song written by a man lovesick after a break up. Going to LA, to their old haunts, reminds him of what's no longer in his life, and it's painful to him. He uses the imagery of celestial bodies -- and how her presence (or lack thereof) is so LARGE in his mind that he's drawn (like gravitation) to her. He thinks of her constantly and of where he is in relationship to her. He's lovesick. He misses her "without your voice to tell me another, 'take a right' " and "10 until 2 is the loneliest sight". He has to steer clear of LA and the memories of her as its just too strong right now and if get gets any closer, celestially speaking, he'll just burn up in her atmosphere. The passion in the song is just gorgeous. And, musically, how he keeps 4/4 time with all the other going on in that song is just amazing IMO. Love his voice. (BTW, it's become my husband's fave too).

I love many (mostly 70s) but my all-time fave...and as far as I'm concerned The Best Song Ever...is Sweet Home Alabama. It's my ring-tone and I always observe a moment of silence when it comes on when I'm out and about. :tongue_smilie:

Oops...forgot to add "why": it's clean, has a great beat that transcends rap, country, and pop and it takes me straight back to the 70s. Loveloveloveit

Oh, that was a horrible thing to do. I am sitting here in tears and missing LA terribly and the life I had there.

:glare:

(not really mad, but man, I hadn't heard this one before.)

Dawn

What's your favorite song and WHY?

I had a good friend ask me this question this past week and so I shared the title and she said she had never heard it, so I found it on youtube and emailed it to her. In response she emailed me back that surely I must be joking. I was TOTALLY serious. My friend thought it odd that I liked it since I was a happily married woman and its about a breakup. told her that I didn't have to experience it to appreciate it's beauty.

It sparked my curiosity as to what songs appeal to married ladies my age (who are likely my age-ish/doing similar things in life -- raising kids, homeschooling, etc.).

So, I'd love for you to share yours as I'm really going to check out all your choices...may take me a while). And, if possible, see if it may be on youtube to see it being performed......

I'll start off with my favorite song:

IN YOUR ATMOSPHERE by John Mayer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUY5jh33UvA&feature=fvsr

(I esp love from 4:15 ish to the very end)

Here's WHY I like it:

I think this is a fabulous song.

Lyrics (for those saying, "What's he saying?")

Song begins I don't think I'm going to LA anymore....

I love this song! In addition to his fabulous guitar playing, it's a beautiful song written by a man lovesick after a break up. Going to LA, to their old haunts, reminds him of what's no longer in his life, and it's painful to him. He uses the imagery of celestial bodies -- and how her presence (or lack thereof) is so LARGE in his mind that he's drawn (like gravitation) to her. He thinks of her constantly and of where he is in relationship to her. He's lovesick. He misses her "without your voice to tell me another, 'take a right' " and "10 until 2 is the loneliest sight". He has to steer clear of LA and the memories of her as its just too strong right now and if get gets any closer, celestially speaking, he'll just burn up in her atmosphere. The passion in the song is just gorgeous. And, musically, how he keeps 4/4 time with all the other going on in that song is just amazing IMO. Love his voice. (BTW, it's become my husband's fave too).

There are so many! But, I will have to say that my favorite is Heart of the Matter by Don Henley (NOT that awful remake. Bleah!). I went to see him at Pine Knob in Michigan the summer after I graduated from college. I went by myself and sat on the hill and had a fabulous time. If you have been to Pine Knob you know what I am talking about.

The song is amazing in its own right, but add to that the experience of seeing him sing it, at that time in my life, and... wow.

Edited by 3lilreds in NC

Can a favorite opera aria count instead? :) I have been listening to opera lately more than other things.

I have many that I like, but my top three usually come down to

(I have a very special personal relationship with the libretto of that opera, especially with this part - beautiful, just beautiful...), Una furtiva lagrima and
(the Italian version of Je crois entendre encore).

Enjoy. I think music is beautiful enough even if you do not understand the text.

World Falls - Indigo Girls

I think it's the most beautiful song I have ever heard.

I have some close seconds though - Secure Yourself, also by the Indigo Girls, and Peaceful Easy Feeling by the Eagles.

I've always liked the Indigo Girls!

I'd never heard this one. I like it!

I love Ghost and Nashville by them too.

Oh, that was a horrible thing to do. I am sitting here in tears and missing LA terribly and the life I had there.

:glare:

(not really mad, but man, I hadn't heard this one before.)

Dawn

;)

So many Beatles songs, so little time.

Ummm.... Maybe Here Comes the Sun, or For No One. Those definitely rate high on my list of favorite songs.

Here Comes the Sun just makes me smile. Every time I hear it. It can take a lot to make me REALLY happy, and that song just does it.

And the horn part in For No One was the first piece of music I played that I had transcribed myself. :-) Not very complicated, but pretty.

There are so many! But, I will have to say that my favorite is Heart of the Matter by Don Henley (NOT that awful remake. Bleah!). I went to see him at Pine Knob in Michigan the summer after I graduated from college. I went by myself and sat on the hill and had a fabulous time. If you have been to Pine Knob you know what I am talking about.

The song is amazing in its own right, but add to that the experience of seeing him sing it, at that time in my life, and... wow.

I think Don Henley is one of the greatest lyricists ever. I love listening to his solo stuff and The Eagles.

I am hopeless stuck in the past musically. I feel fortunate to have grown up in an era that encompassed The Beatles, The Stones, Clapton, Queen, The Eagles, The Who.... I could go on forever. I'll never forget watching Live Aid in 85. I was glued to the TV the entire day.

I love, love, love anything Beatles, but this is one of my all-time faves.

I just love the lyrics to "In My Life."

Okay, then...these two will seem a little bit "hokey." But, dh and I have an anniversary in 2 days, and these are our songs. I love the words to both of them.

First, this one by Loggins and Messina called "Danny's Song." We danced our first dance to an acoustic guitar instrumental version.

Then, this one sums up how I feel we try to live. It's Paul Davis' "Sweet Life." (There is a cheesy, but short, intro for this one, but it's the best version I've found so far on YouTube.)

Edited by amydavis
List song titles

I could never name just one song. Tonight I've been jamming (and singing along) to Simon & Garfunkle on Pandora. The past week we've been listening to the Sirius Alternative Rock channel as we drove halfway across America and back.

I do LOVE "World Falls" by the Indigo Girls! For several years of my life I probably would have said that was my favorite. Ah, brings back great memories.

Any song from Carole King's Tapestry album.

Any song from Eagles' Very Best of album.

Any song from James Taylor's Best of album.

Selah's Oh, the Deep Deep Love of Jesus and Before the Throne of God.

Those are the perennial favorites. Any song could be a favorite on any given day. It depends!

I love Enrique Iglesias's song "Experiencia Religiosa" - it's so incredibly beautiful but I don't like the video. I also love his song "Addicted" which was the first of his I had ever heard. I listened to it over and over for a long time. I love when it seems like the singer is really feeling the lyrics! (and no, I've never been addicted to anything besides chocolate - well, and maybe Enrique!)

Dh's and my song is "You're the Inspiration" by Chicago.

I've got tons of other songs I love and listen to but those stand out.

I'm fickle so my favourites changes regularly.

I really like Eva Cassidy's version of Songbird. It's because I relate it to a scene in Love Actually. Also Turn Me On by Norah Jones for the same reason. Actually, the entire Love Actually soundtrack is fabulous.