Menu

To spay a pregnant cat or not?

I am pregnant right now and am having a very difficult time deciding if it is right to spay a cat while she is pregnant.

All our other pets have been fixed, except for our kitten, which we were going to get around to doing when she was a little older.

She belongs to my son and I actually don't pay attention to her until recently when my son began asking if I thought the cat could have worms because her stomach was hard. I felt her belly and she is definitely round with nipples forming. She is about 6-8 months old and no one even knew she went into heat.

We scheduled the vet to spay her next Wednesday and he will do it even if she is pregnant.

Please help me decide!

Is it right to have her spayed now or should we let her have her babies and then spay her?

Does your ds know dk (dear kitty) is preggers? If not, then do it. If so, then would he be traumatized if he knew what happened to the babies? If so, then let her have the litter...but get dk spayed when those babies are 5-6 weeks old.

Do you think you have any chance of finding homes for several kittens? If not, they will likely be put down at the shelter regardless. At this time of year, the animal shelter near me has an average of 70 kittens they are trying to place - - just kittens, not cats.

I could not do it.

I've seen places that'll take the babies out even when they are full term and kill them all. Breaks my heart.

Same here.

You can consider it a wonderful life lesson - letting her have her kittens and raising them and finding good homes for them. It's not the easier route, but it is the one that will provide much better sleep at night. Your son will learn from it, and remember the choice you made. :)

What does your vet recommend? That is a young cat, and if she is small she could face risks delivering kittens right now. If the vet feels it could harm this young cat's health to give birth, I would spay now. If not, I would let her have the kittens and spay after.

I'd wait. Yes, you'll have to find good homes for the kittens (or take care of them yourselves) but that's part of pet ownership.. you said yourself that you didn't "get around" to having her spayed and that you "don't pay attention to her" -- unfortunately, this is what can happen.

I have done it and would do it again. We have adopted three homeless kitties, and right at this moment, we have 4 or 5 more kittens and cats that come to our home every night to be fed. They live outside, they are soaking wet when it rains, they are scarred from fights and if I can't trap them and get them to a vet who generously spays/neuters feral cats for free, they will continue to reproduce and make the problem worse. It breaks my heart.

You can consider it a wonderful life lesson - letting her have her kittens and raising them and finding good homes for them. It's not the easier route' date=' but it is the one that will provide much better sleep at night. Your son will learn from it, and remember the choice you made. :)[/quote']

Yes. This. :)

I have done it and would do it again. We have adopted three homeless kitties, and right at this moment, we have 4 or 5 more kittens and cats that come to our home every night to be fed. They live outside, they are soaking wet when it rains, they are scarred from fights and if I can't trap them and get them to a vet who generously spays/neuters feral cats for free, they will continue to reproduce and make the problem worse. It breaks my heart.

I agree.

What does your vet recommend? That is a young cat, and if she is small she could face risks delivering kittens right now. If the vet feels it could harm this young cat's health to give birth, I would spay now. If not, I would let her have the kittens and spay after.

I recently had to do this with a young cat. We didn't know she went into heat, and didn't know she was pregnant till after she was spayed. The vet said it was a good thing we had it done because she would not have been able to have the kittens on her own. It would have meant a midnight c-section.

If the cat is too young to safely deliver I would go ahead and do it for her health's sake. However - when I was about 9 we took in a stray dog and my parents had her spayed even though she was pregnant. The poor dog spent weeks tearing up the house looking for her puppies, looking under cushions and behind things. It was very sad and I have always wished she would have been allowed to have her puppies and that we could have found homes for them.

We recently had this happen. Our ragdoll kitty is older, a little over a year, but we hadn't gotten her spayed due to a bad reaction to anesthesia. She became an inside cat. Of course, she escaped and came back pregnant. I just could not spay her so she had her kittens. They have been such a blessing. A pain in the rear - but a blessing. We had made the decision that if we couldn't find homes for them, we would provide a home for them. Luckily she only had three.

We have a home for one and as they aren't even 6 weeks, we are looking carefully for a home for the other two. We insist on knowing the people who are adopting personally, they have to sign a contract in which one of the provisions is that if they are unable to care for kitty they have to return it to us. Also, everyone has to give us a $50 deposit which we will return as soon as we get proof of spay/neuter.

Okay. Thanks for the replies. We do have three other female cats that we spayed, plus two pedigree dogs that we neutered. I'm fully aware of the pet overpopulation problem and we try to do our share.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one that feels like this. We'll reschedule the vet until after she has her kittens.

This is my son's first cat. He's been very responsible in taking care of her, but it seems we both have learned a lesson. We'll probably keep one or two of the kittens and I'm pretty sure we'd be able to find good homes for the rest of them. My MIL and a friend have both been wanting another cat, so maybe between them, we can make sure all of them are fixed and have homes.

Okay. Thanks for the replies. We do have three other female cats that we spayed, plus two pedigree dogs that we neutered. I'm fully aware of the pet overpopulation problem and we try to do our share.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one that feels like this. We'll reschedule the vet until after she has her kittens.

This is my son's first cat. He's been very responsible in taking care of her, but it seems we both have learned a lesson. We'll probably keep one or two of the kittens and I'm pretty sure we'd be able to find good homes for the rest of them. My MIL and a friend have both been wanting another cat, so maybe between them, we can make sure all of them are fixed and have homes.

you may be in luck...

Many (not all) first time kitten mommies have smaller litters/

If you do it after the kittens are born then you need to wait until the kittens are 10-12 weeks old. They need to nurse. I had to buy formula for all of the kittens that I have gotten from the Humane Society because they were weaned too early.

Watch closely for signs of weaning. She could start the process @ 3-4 weeks. Some cats will put up with nursing kittens until they are 3 months old--some won't.

As soon as they are weaned (not necessarily completely), she will come back into heat. She would then need to be kept inside until you can get her spayed.

Yeah!!! Please keep us updated - we want pictures!!!! :D

I'm glad I got to the end and saw your decision was the one I wanted to see:001_smile:

OTH, we had a scare like this recently. We adopted a 2yr old chihuahua female from an elderly breeder and she was in heat and had been with all the other dogs this woman had. The dog is so small, I was v worried for a few weeks and did think I might have to something I didn't want to do if she did end up being pregnant as, IMO, she could have had pups that were too big for her to deliver if she had been mated by some of the male dogs I had seen there. Thankfully, we adopted her on time.:001_smile:

I don't think I could do it but a warning about the kittens: because mama is so young, you may only have a very small litter and it's quite possible that they will die shortly after birth. Just something to be prepared for in advance.

If you do it after the kittens are born then you need to wait until the kittens are 10-12 weeks old. They need to nurse. I had to buy formula for all of the kittens that I have gotten from the Humane Society because they were weaned too early.

Our 6wko babies continued to nurse after their mother came home from her surgery, but by then they had mostly self-weaned, so it wasn't much nursing anyway.

Cats can (and usually do) go into heat when the babies are 3-6 weeks old; waiting until the babies are 10-12wko can be disaster if you're trying to keep the cat from breeding forever.

I don't think I could do it but a warning about the kittens: because mama is so young, you may only have a very small litter and it's quite possible that they will die shortly after birth. Just something to be prepared for in advance.

This happened with us. She kept moving them around and they all ended up dying. Do you know why it happens?

I did it once with one of our cats and have always regretted it since. There's no way I would ever do it again.

:iagree: No way in H#LL would I ever do it again. We had it done to one of ours, vet said it was early enough. She was a thin cat, afterwards, every time she eats, her belly swells and she looks like she is going to give birth any minute. She is miserable. Never, ever, ever again!