Menu

How much do you budget for homeschooling?

Last year I think I spent around $500 for my two (12 and 9). That doesn't include music lessons though which are $220 every 6 weeks. We're taking a break from the music lessons this summer so we can afford to build a chicken shed and fence. :)

I don't count extracurricular activities because we would be doing them even if we were not homeschooling.

This year I am using some leftovers from older sister so will spend slightly less.

I probably spend about $1000+ by the end of the year (textbooks, science kits, books,etc)

I used to get by with very little. I would budget about $300 per year for both of my oldest when we started out and really up until about 2 or 3 years ago. I sometimes would go over and hit $500, but for the most part, curriculum stayed under $500.

We only did scouts at that time, which was also very inexpensive when they were all cubscouts. I got used uniforms and volunteered at camp for the discount, etc.....dues were $24 each child and then camp ended up being $160 for all 3 boys with the discount.

Well, no longer!

This past year we did Tae Kwon Do at $65/mo. (about $800/year).

Scouts is now over $1,000 per year with Boyscout camp and activities.

Curriculum cost will be about $1,000 this year when all is said and done.

We golf as well, but try to do it inexpensively, but still does cost.

So, this last year (WITH EXTRA CURRICULARS) ran about $4,000 roughly, but only $1,000 of that was curriculum.

Dawn

I should probably answer too...

This year as I am pricing things, I am already at nearly 800 for all 3 kids, and that is just curriculum...and not including read aloud and other books or supplies. Im going to get as much as possible from the library.

For extra curriculars..

Right now we just have TKD for one kid that is running us 150 a month. I want to put him somewhere that costs less but he is doing really well where we are. :glare:

I still need to add on:

Ballet for dd

Fencing for my oldest (he was doing it but then his instructor disappeared, odd timing too as he was Russian and two days later a news story broke about Russian spies)

Then violin for 3 kids, and for me.

Choir

HS gym

and they want art classes too.

When I look at the cost of everything I want to faint.

We don't count activities in our homeschool expenses, because pretty much everything my kids have ever done "outside" is stuff we would pay to have them do even if they were in school (choir, dance, drama, music lessons, etc.)

So, in terms of curriculum only, I think my average is about $300 per child per year. Some years it has been less, but one disastrous year it was much more (disastrous because we ended up hating and not using the expensive items).

I'm schooling only one now. For next year, I've spent $184 and have another $68 worth of stuff on my list. So, I'll be under my average with a total of $252.

If it matters, this is for my son who will be doing ninth grade in the fall.

I'm seriously hesitant to add up the "extras."

Edited by Jenny in Florida

I won't count music lessons (about $5000 a year,) because we would do them anyway. I do count art, because that is just because we homeschool.

When all dc were elementary age, I spent about $1000 a year.

Now that I have high school students, I spend about $4000 a year. It will be more if I decide to have them take any online or CC classes next year, though.

It's still a bargain compared to the $22,000 to put them all in nice private schools.

Edited by angela in ohio

My current budget is slightly under $1000 for all 5 boys. I could do it for less if I needed to. For instance, I've chosen to purchase many things new instead of used (or instead of using the library) because they'll need to hold up to 5 boys.

I don't include piano, tumbling/power trampoline gymnastics, or Judo in the cost, but that's an additional $3500-$4000/year--this is a bargain considering all 5 boys do all 3 activities (except for piano, which my youngest hasn't started yet).

I was thinking of starting a similar thread.

So far I've spent about $350, but my budget was $400, so I'll use the rest as things come up here and there. We don't do many extras yet (just starting t-ball this summer), but I won't be counting those in our yearly budget because, like others have said, we would do those things anyway.

Okay, I am in awe of you guys! Granted we have never done this before so we are going to make rookie mistakes, but under $500 for multiple kids??? Wow! I have just tallied up our total and we are over $1100 for 2. Part of the expense are start up materials that I won't need to re-purchase like manipulatives. We were also planning on purchasing Rosetta Stone (clearly a large ticket item) which will last for several years. Foreign languages are NOT my strength! We were paying and drowning under the burden of $2300/month for private school tuition, so even if I am completely overspending on things I don't need, I am not going to sweat it this year. I would like to figure out your tricks because I feel like I am over spending. Advice???

I don't count extra curriculars because as a PP stated, we would have these expenses even if ds was in school. When he was young, much of our "curriculum" came from the library and free stuff off the internet. That became harder to do as he got older, but we still make use of the library.

Our homeschool costs run about $500 a year, including field trip costs. Next year might be a bit higher since I'm going to buy a microscope that (I hope) will last through the high school years.

I would like to figure out your tricks because I feel like I am over spending. Advice???

You don't need nearly as much stuff as you think you do, probably.

I don't know how old your kids are or how many you have, which might help us all in giving advice.

I can say that I, personally, don't think Rosetta Stone is worth the expense. My daughter used it for free when it was available through our local library's website, and it just wasn't especially effective. She worked on it for well over a year, using a grammar book to supplement, and still found herself completely unprepared to begin a traditional German II course. I'm not sure what I'd recommend instead, but I would absolutely suggest doing more research before spending that much money.

Other than that, I have found I buy very little pre-planned, packaged curricula. I always think it's like buying packaged, processed food in a box at the grocery store. Instead, I think we all know it's less expensive and healthier to buy ingredients and make your own meals? I feel the same way about education.

I begin with a list of what I want to teach and then start assembling materials. I keep lists of things I might want in the next two or three years in my purse so that I can snag them on bookstore close-out tables or used whenever I see them, rather than leaving myself needing to pay full price later. I make extensive use of PaperbackSwap and BookMooch and get most of my son's reading from those sites. I remain flexible, understanding that there are lots of great books out there to read about any topic and am content with whichever of them I can find inexpensively.

Those are the basics. It's not hard, really. What you'll probably find when you've been at this a while is that you have the choice to invest either time or money in this process. While you can certainly pay for the convenience of having your child's education planned and packaged neatly in a box, you are also perfectly capable of doing it yourself for a lot less money.

Money spent on homeschool supplies is much like each of our food budgets--every family has different needs, preferences, resources available.

Oddly, we've spent about $1000 each year, for the past 14 years we've homeschooled (no matter how many kids we're homeschooling!). Initially we had only one child, now she's graduated and we're homeschooling the younger 4. I reuse a lot, as much is non-consumable, and used the library for most of our history/science books . . . until we started feasting at Library Book Sales. :D

But college prep (dual-credit courses, ACT prep & tests) requires a new wave of money for each child. (But I don't include the tuition for the kids' dual-credit courses in my homeschool budget--I shift that over to "college expenses".)

I think it's important to strike a balance between being frugal AND making sure you have the materials to adequately teach your children under your care.

I do count many extracurriculars because they would do them in school and I wouldn't be charged or would be charged much less. I wouldn't count Boy scouts or Venture Scouts in my case because that is something that is a true extracurricular. Band, speech and debate, and some sports (soccer team, swim and dive team) I do count since if she was going to school, she would be doing it on the school team and not as a separate paid activity. Counting that, I expect to pay somewhere between 1000 and 2000 next year for my daughter depending on how many and which extracurriculars she chooses, and whether she does an outside class or two (other than the band I already mentioned). One of my extra costs this year will be enrolling her in a Church school. In Alabama, unlike other states, all homeschooling has to be done through a church school and I think that will be about a $100 cost depending on which one we choose.

I will spend about $500 for 4 children, only if I can't find AAS used;) Otherwise, I will spend a little over $400. My DD is in ballet for $40\month and the boys may do soccer this year for $60 each. All my children are using mostly the same curricula so I don't have to buy many different grade levels. This is our "fill in the gaps that public school missed" year.

I think I'll end up spending around $800 for 2 kids. I've been trying to find things used, but if I don't find my remaining items in the next month or so, I'll order them.

I also don't count any extra activities in that, as they would still do dance, cub scouts, soccer, etc. if they were in ps.

I don't really set a specific budget, as I never really know what will change and what I may need, but I do try to find things used first. I also will be selling quite a few things when we are done in a few weeks. Every little bit helps!!

You don't need nearly as much stuff as you think you do, probably.

I don't know how old your kids are or how many you have, which might help us all in giving advice.

I can say that I, personally, don't think Rosetta Stone is worth the expense. My daughter used it for free when it was available through our local library's website, and it just wasn't especially effective. She worked on it for well over a year, using a grammar book to supplement, and still found herself completely unprepared to begin a traditional German II course. I'm not sure what I'd recommend instead, but I would absolutely suggest doing more research before spending that much money.

My kids are rising 5th grade girl and rising 2nd grade (ADHD) boy. I appreciate your comments about Rosetta Stone and will definitely share them with my husband. We really didn't know what to do about Spanish (which she has had since K in her private school). I am not planning on doing a pre-packaged curriculum. I lean more towards unit studies since that is a format that the kids are familiar with from their International Baccalaureate school.

The Plan for Son: Math-U-See, Handwriting Without Tears, Explode the Code, LLAL, Real Science 4 Kids & Sadlier's Sacrament Prep Program

The Plan for Daughter: Singapore Math, Wordsmith Apprentice, LLAL, Sequential Spelling, Kolbe's Following Christ

For Both: Trail Guide to Learning-Paths of Exploration, Real Science 4 Kids, Story of the World (at least I found that used), Children's Daily Prayer 2011-2012 and various unit studies I grabbed at a HS conference. Rosetta Stone was originally on the "both" list.

I know I have more than we can cover in 1 year on the Trail Guide, Story of the World & Unit Studies, but I was looking at it as an "investment" as our interest ebbs and flows.

I am not planning on doing a pre-packaged curriculum. I lean more towards unit studies since that is a format that the kids are familiar with from their International Baccalaureate school.

The Plan for Son: Math-U-See, Handwriting Without Tears, Explode the Code, LLAL, Real Science 4 Kids & Sadlier's Sacrament Prep Program

The Plan for Daughter: Singapore Math, Wordsmith Apprentice, LLAL, Sequential Spelling, Kolbe's Following Christ

For Both: Trail Guide to Learning-Paths of Exploration, Real Science 4 Kids, Story of the World (at least I found that used), Children's Daily Prayer 2011-2012 and various unit studies I grabbed at a HS conference. Rosetta Stone was originally on the "both" list.

Just to clarify: "Prepackaged curricula" to me includes a lot of what you listed.

Please understand that I'm not in any way putting down such materials or anything. I've used some. I just want to be clear.

For example, I never bought any phonics curriculum (Explode the Code). I taught my kids to read using books.

Until this year, I've never purchased a math curriculum. My kids used plain old workbooks from the bookstore (bought with the educator's discount card) or did free online classes.

I've never invested in pre-planned religious studies. I've always planned our own based on books I have on hand or obtained cheaply. (For example, my son is doing a world religions study next year using a $7.99 bargain book and a PaperbackSwap book as his spines.)

In 13 years, I've bought one literature curriculum (which we didn't use as instructed). Every other year, I've just selected books for my kids to read and discussed them. Occasionally, I've used some free study guides I've found online.

I don't think I've ever purchased a history curriculum. Most years, we more or less followed the WTM idea of choosing a spine and supplementing with more reading. Sometimes, the spine has been a history encyclopedia (which lasts a child for multiple years), and others it's a more traditional text (purchased used online, usually). But, either way, it's less expensive than buying a package.

(Next year, my son is taking history online, but it's free to us. If it weren't, we'd continue doing our own thing.)

I have bought a few such items over the years. Both of my kids used the Word Roots software, for example. And my son tried The Learnables for a few years. We've had a couple of Latin and Greek curricula come through the house, too. But I'd say I don't usually buy more than one or two of those items per year.

Again, there's nothing wrong with doing it that way. It's a matter of whether you choose to invest your time or your money. I've generally had more of the first than the second. And I'm a natural academic and enjoy the planning. So, it's not a hardship for me to do it this way.

Edited by Jenny in Florida

Jenny-- I really appreciate your input. I know it is going to take a lot of trial and error until we hit our stride. I know I need confidence in my ability to do this before I am willing to step away from "curricula." At least I am not buying an entire grade level from 1 supplier. :) I have told everyone who asked how long I was going to HS my children that we will take 1 year at a time and see. But obviously, I would really like this to work and not be a "grand failed experiment." Part of my concerns stem from the report from the psychologist re: my son. For example, he has gaps in his phonics. Where exactly? That she was not too clear in stating. But his 1st grade teacher just finished his reading assessment and he is reading on a middle 3rd grade level. 3rd grade level at just barely 7 & gaps in phonics??? I'm sure you can imagine why I am feeling frustrated. I am a lawyer, so I want it all laid out with a plan of action. How neat and orderly! Just like children... HAH! I know this is going to be a messy, yet rewarding process. I am alternating between excited eagerness to get started and abject terror. I had no problem sending hardened criminals to prison, yet I am terrified of teaching 2 bright children. In my heart, I know it is "mommy guilt" worrying more about failing them then anything else.

For the 2011/12 fall season for preschool and grade 1, I've spent $220 on books. I'll probably top that up to $500 by the end of August.

I'm writing the majority of our curriculum so I just buy books to base our studies on. The books should be good for quite a few years, I'll just change the curriculum each year to increase difficulty.

I guess I spend a couple of hundred $$ each year? I don't really keep up with it and don't really budget it out-I just get what I need when I need it--sometimes I might have to wait till a certain payday,but that's usually not a big problem...we're still in elementary grades and it's relatively affordable for us...........

I could probably spend half of what I'm planning but I really want to try the Latin Road to English Grammar. It is so expensive. It really is taking just about half of my budget.

Lessons I don't include in the homeschool budget since dd would be doing them anyway.

I try to keep the budget around $300-400, but I'm thinking I've probably spent more like $500-600 most years so far. But, DS is my first, and much of what I've bought is non-consumable, so I figure I'll spend less with the younger ones, and it will end up evening out.

We have not set budget this school year b/c it's our first year and there is a ton of stuff we don't have supply wise.

To date on both girls combined we have spent almost $800. We have bought used where we could but there is some stuff we wanted new b/c our younger will be using it down the road.

If we had a well stocked library we probably wouldn't have spent as much.

If you compare this to what we would have spent on private school we have saved $$$$$$.

We are done buying curriculum for now. We are planning on buying a Latin and french program sometime after Christmas. Most of our money now will be spent on supplies like paper, printer ink, globe, wall map, weather/calender pocket chart and crayons, markers, pencils, etc etc. :)

We do not include their extras like gymnastics, swimming and piano.

Edited by my3luvbugs990105

I'm still brand spanking new to homeschooling so take this with a grain of salt, but I don't budget. I just buy what we need as we can afford it: $10 here, that $25 book the next pay period and so forth. I've just more or less finished getting all of our books for next year and have maybe spent $200 but it's been spread out over many small purchases. I'm sure we'll buy more supplemental books here and there to go along with various topics over the course of the year, but again we're talking about $5 purchases.

Things like toner, printer paper, field trips, new colored pencils, etc are hard to budget IMO because you never know when they're going to pop up. I do have $100/paycheck set aside into a separate account just to cover those kind of day to day incidental expenses, to replenish supplies, soccer registration, Little League fees, to renew museum memberships, etc.

I'm not too hung-up on trying to do homeschooling on the ultra-cheap because prior to this we were paying for private school so in comparison any money I may spend is a drop in the bucket.

Edited by Wabi Sabi

So far, I have $100 I've either spent or know for sure I'm spending on curriculum (K and 3rd). This includes the entire blue series of MM, so that should reduce costs in future years. I haven't decided on what Latin we're going to use next, so I have another $25-$50 budgeted for that. I also plan to grab books 6-10 of History of US if I can get a good price, even though we're not planning to use them for the upcoming year.

If our household budget increases we might end up spending a bit more on curriculum, but likely won't. I have things already planned out with free resources or things we already own.

We recently bought printer ink and will need to buy more paper soon.

Field trips not included either, as that budget is going to depend a lot on our household budget at the time opportunities arise.

Let's call it $300 total for both kids, though that's probably a bit on the high side of what we'll actually spend.

Edited by ocelotmom

Even though I'm revamping just about every subject area for ds12, I'll come in under $500 for next year. For my youngest 2, I have all the curricula they need. So, this is strictly for ds, going into 7th grade.

The curriculum that is most pricey that we'll be using next year is VideoText Algebra. But I bought that used at a curriculum sale 2 yrs ago - for less than half price. In fact, I do this often. I plan way ahead and rarely change my mind. This year is an exception ;) but I'm not worried because I have sold a lot of my curriculum on this forum and at a book sale. I'm using that money to purchase the new - most of which I can't find used.

Hint: if you buy used and keep it in good condition, you can sell it for close to the price you paid. I buy at least half of what I need used each year. Often, if I had started my search sooner or been more patient, I could buy more used items. I typically sell even the stuff I buy new 50-6-% off retail price - b/c I don't like to pay more than that for used.

HTH.

We spend as much as we need. I don't count extra lessons in that, but I have had to limit my kids in what they can take at times. I used to regularly need $1200-$1800 to homeschool 4 the way I wanted. One year with more online classes I think it was $2400, but I had a high schooler. Things around here are actually much cheaper because I have so much that I like and reuse (if I didn't like it I wouldn't use it). When we first started out I was very concerned about cost. Since my dh is such a huge hs supporter he knows that is the cost of homeschooling and it is worth far more than what we spend. :)

The last year was probably the highest, with college dual enrollment classes at around $1000 each once you add in the books. Plus tutorial of about $1000 for the year. And curriculum.... and field trips. I count field trips if we wouldn't have done them if they'd been in ps. So around $4000 this past year, for one child... Actually, the last year that both were home, was probably closer to $6000 since the older was dual enrolling, and both were at the tutorial. We did use their college savings for the dual enrollment classes.

I have a baseline budget of $1000 that I put away each year after our tax return. For each additional child that ages up to school age I add $500 annually in the set aside budgeted amount. This covers my curriculum, all of which I reuse for each kiddo, and all activities, school and office supplies, and fieldtrip/museum memberships. I do not use the full amount each year, but I keep the money squirreled away so that as my curriculum needs become more expensive it will hopefully all balance out w/o needing to increase my annual budget. :001_smile:

I do not include extracurricular activities when budgeting for homeschooling materials for the year. I make one large curriculum purchase in May or June for the new school year. For the past few years I have budgeted 1250.00 for that purchase. This year I was able to come in around 500.00! That was a pleasant surprise.

Anyway, I don't count paper, pencils, and other random items that I pick up throughout the school year.

Every summer I take a look to see what local private schools are charging for tution and registration fees. Most charge $7,000-$12,000 per year, per child. Those figures don't include extracurricular activities. For 2011-12 I expect to spend $500-$1,000 for educational materials for two students. After reviewing private schools costs, I have no guilt. I figure I'm saving us over $13,000 this year alone. :)

I usually spend about $2000 a year for four children, but we are joining a co-op next year that will add about $1200. That doesn't count books for my 12th grader's two CC classes or extras - like gymnastics, dance, baseball, karate, etc. I'm not going to add those up!