Menu

Are you still enjoying reading aloud as a family during this stage of the game?

I was just thinking of this the other day. It's the same way in our home. We loved it when DH read to us after dinner; we enjoyed so many great books together over the years. But with one daughter off at college and the other two kids busy most evenings, it just doesn't happen any more. I miss it, too!

My oldest dd's are finishing their 9th and 7th grade years. Before school started last fall, I asked them if they wanted me to quit reading out loud to them this year. They said, "No way, Mom!" So, we are still enjoying a read aloud every day right before lunch. It gives us a time to unwind from the rigors of the academics of the morning, and we all know that lunch is coming next. It's a nice break in our day and none of us are willing to give it up yet.

Yes, we still read a-loud as a family. We just don't get to do it as often as we'd like. The kids enjoy reading to each other too. It's a wonderful activity.

Denise

This is us as well. Just read two chapters of The Hound of the Baskervilles tonight. It has become more difficult to find evenings when everyone is home and we don't have a plate full of other stuff. So we get through our books much more slowly.

Lisa

Same here. My kids range in age from 5 to 16, so half still "need" the read-alouds, while for the older kids it is more of an extra. They all enjoy it, though, the older ones the most; I think it's a reminder of life back-in-the-day for them. Haha! It is hard to find time for it, though, and to find something everyone can enjoy. I find that it takes us much longer to get through books, b/c I will drop the read-alouds on days when other work needs to get done.

Some things we have read and enjoyed this year are:

"The Shakespeare Stealer" by Gary Blackwood

"Escape from Warsaw" by Ian Serraillier

"So Far From the Bamboo Grove" by Yoko Kawashima Watkins

We are starting the newest Jeanne Birdsall book, "The Penderwicks at Point Mouette" sometime this week. (There's a great example of the read-alouds getting delayed - the plan was to start it yesterday, but the book is untouched at this point!)

We do have good memories from our read-alouds, so I hope to continue them as long as I can. Even the not-so-good memories still constitute bonding, IMHO. ("Mom, remember how embarrassing it was when you sang a made-up song about "Johnny, Johnny, Johnny Tremain?" "I thought I would die of boredom when you were reading "Swallowdale." "Mom, which book was it you were reading when you got mad and threw it down and it bent the cover?")

Shelly

We do. We still have younger kids, so maybe that makes it easier. Our older kids often read to the notsolittes. Since Xmas either the 16 or 20 yo has been reading Tolkien outloud (the 20 yo's Xmas present to the 11 was 3 of his books with the promise to read them outloud- the 16 yo took over once they hit the Simarillon- they are on book 5). I read to the 8 yo becasue she is not so happy about orcs and various other aspects of Tolkeins writing- ;)

We do listen to audio books together. My 16 yo "read" 1/2 his lit this past year via audio books and the 2 younger ones heard some great lit as a result.

We do. We still have younger kids, so maybe that makes it easier. Our older kids often read to the notsolittes. Since Xmas either the 16 or 20 yo has been reading Tolkien outloud (the 20 yo's Xmas present to the 11 was 3 of his books with the promise to read them outloud- the 16 yo took over once they hit the Simarillon- they are on book 5). I read to the 8 yo becasue she is not so happy about orcs and various other aspects of Tolkeins writing- ;)

We do listen to audio books together. My 16 yo "read" 1/2 his lit this past year via audio books and the 2 younger ones heard some great lit as a result.

Yes, I think having younger children in the house helps keep it going. I will miss it when it ends. That is so neat that your older is reading to the younger ones---what a neat gift!

SOme of my best memories of high school with my ds were reading aloud. We'd read his more difficult works like Milton or Shakespeare aloud, or we'd take turns reading them. It kept us close and gave us something in common when we were have normal teen growing pains.

It seems that so often, our reading aloud falls by the wayside, and let me just say, for the record, I miss it!

Does your family still enjoy this time, or is it this way in your home, too?

Yes---we still make time about 3-4 nights a week! DD is 'exempted' this year in 12th, but ds 9th and dh listen as I read aloud. In fact, one of the blessings of no extra money for all the extra activities and lessons this year has been TIME---for reading together or doing other things that usually fall by the wayside because everyone is too busy or tired out. ;)

Occasionally. I could still be going strong, but my dd14 started becoming less enthusiastic about it after age 12. I miss those days when she swore she couldn't possibly go to sleep unless I read a sufficient amount to her from our book.

It seems that so often, our reading aloud falls by the wayside, and let me just say, for the record, I miss it!

Does your family still enjoy this time, or is it this way in your home, too?

Yes, but we have little people to spur us forward. :)

I hope we will continue. That time with my kids is what keeps me going with homeschooling. We've always used SL and we only have 3 more cores before the read-alouds are cut out, but I have plans to continue reading to the kids at breakfast as I always have. I may not read as long as they will be busy with their other schoolwork, but I hope to continue the tradition.

Lisa

We used Sonlight for a number of years, and they begged to continue the read-alouds after they began to go their own ways academically. I was surprised, but they still love it. Sometimes I do it during breakfast or lunch if we're really busy.

I usually read a devotional, a magazine article, and something historical. We're finishing up "Our Island Story" and will do some kind of American History next. We also enjoy recorded books in the car.

Yep. My oldest two are 16 and 14 and we still read-aloud, and they still ask for it. We have family read-alouds (currently the Ranger's Apprentice series) but the older two have their own read-aloud too which we 'sometimes' get around to at night.

What's really cool is that these two read aloud to each other at night as they share a room.

ds12 still enjoys being read to, depending on the book and his patience level that day (special needs kiddo)…. dd14, on the other hand, wants nothing more to do with read alouds. She never really enjoyed having someone read to her - I don't see that as a bad thing; I'm the very same way. I can't stand it!

What's really cool is that these two read aloud to each other at night as they share a room.

Aw, that is so wonderful!

My ds still loves for me to read aloud (age 15), but he won't give up his evenings so I read during lunch or snacks or when he just wants to take a rest.

We also read the Bible together as a family. This year we're doing an audio Bible, since we're reading the whole OT, but it's so great to have something to discuss together as a family.

Julie

We never read aloud as a family because my children are six years apart in age. However, I still read aloud to my soon to be 15yo son. Usually it's literature for school that I think we'd enjoy reading together. Right now we're reading The Grapes of Wrath.

Actually, I think we are enjoying read - a - louds more now than ever before. Dh has started reading to dc in the evening. Also, oldest is reading to youngest at night. Audio books have gotten really popular lately too. Dd was listening to one today as she picked up her room.

Same here. My kids range in age from 5 to 16, so half still "need" the read-alouds, while for the older kids it is more of an extra.

I remember hearing at a conference that older kids and teens have a greater need to be read to than younger kids. Had something to do with a particular stage of language developement or something like that.

I do read-alouds with the whole gang. My older 2 definitely enjoy it more than the youngers - they'd rather play and sometimes they even ask if they can go take a nap :confused:.

I try to rotate between books for littles and books for olders - although the books for olders take longer. My personal belief is that teenagers need to have Pooh, Just So Stories, The Velveteen Rabbit, and fairy tales read to them every bit as much as littles, and even more so :).

Dh has story time with the younger ones before bed, also.

Yes, this is us. However, I don't repeat the same read-alouds each time we have a child at a certain grade level, so our older kids enjoy sitting in on some of the younger kids' stories! I've been trying to incorporate more books on audio, too, to give ME a break. And I can put the older ones in charge a bit...our 16yo dd reads aloud about half of the poetry and short stories we're doing for our poetry days.

My personal belief is that teenagers need to have Pooh, Just So Stories, The Velveteen Rabbit, and fairy tales read to them every bit as much as littles, and even more so :).

Yes, yes, yes. As I tell my kids, a book worth reading is worth reading again...

Yep, we do. Just me and the last ds, who will soon be a senior. Last year we read the Iliad, the Aeneid, and Pearl Maiden. This year we'll do The Song of Hiawatha, The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin, some slave narratives, His Brother's Keeper, The Grapes of Wrath, and Black Like Me. We've also done David Copperfield (took us almost 6 months), Pride and Prejudice (neither of us liked that one), A Tale of Two Cities, Pilgrm's Progress. And we do all our Shakespeare aloud. We take parts. We've done Henry V, The Tempest, The Merry Wives of Windsor, The Taming of the Shrew. We're currently doing Romeo and Juliet and after that we'll do Hamlet and Othello. Reading aloud is a great way to expand their familiarity with great literature beyond what they have time to read on their own.