Menu

Need a great read-aloud for my 5 boys while on vacation...

They're ages 16, 14, 12, 10, and 4.

Obviously, I'm mostly aiming at the older four. Something boys would really love. Could be fiction or not, biography is fine, too.

I was looking at Bud and Me as a possibility. Anyone have an opinion on this, or any other suggestions?

Thanks!

The Wee Free Men is intelligent & funny. Prepare your Scottish accent! :001_smile:

"From Booklist:

Gr. 6-10. Pratchett turns the bogeymen of fairy tales and nightmares into reality in the latest book in his popular, comedic Discworld series. Young Tiffany Aching, incipient witch armed with a large iron frying pan, goes after the Elf Queen, who has taken Tiffany's little brother into Fairyland and who plans to use humans' dreams to conquer their world. Tiffany's companions on her quest are a talking toad, who used to be a human, and a band of fierce Wee Free Men, who are six inches tall, talk with a Scottish brogue, and are famous for "stealin' an' drinkin' an' fightin'!" The action is both manic and a little scary as the queen confronts her pursuers with a headless horseman, dreams that trap dreamers inside them, and more. In the end, Tiffany must face the Queen alone while attempting to sort out reality from nightmare. Both the humor and the danger will appeal to fans of Discworld; they will also draw readers who like J. K. Rowling's Harry, Hermione, and Ron."

Edited by Stacia

We read Bud and Me earlier this year. I enjoyed it and my #2&3 really liked it. My oldest actually wasn't that into it and didn't listen to much of the story. :confused1:

I don't really have any suggestions for you, maybe The Neverending Story? That is on our summer list. The Westing Game was great and I am looking forward to doing that w/ my son next year. Maybe Hatchet or some other Gary Pualsen book? Surviving the Applewhites The 16 year old is throwing me, as I'm not sure what that age is into, yk?

How about something by G. A. Henty? The Cat of Bubastes? Under Drake's Flag? Wulf the Saxon? My sons loved Henty starting about age 10, and my oldest, a junior in college, texted me last week asking if I would send him some Henty books to re-read this summer. They are very boyish books.

They're ages 16, 14, 12, 10, and 4.

Obviously, I'm mostly aiming at the older four. Something boys would really love. Could be fiction or not, biography is fine, too.

I was looking at Bud and Me as a possibility. Anyone have an opinion on this, or any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Swallows and Amazons

The Phantom Tollbooth

The Hobbit

All of these have been big hits at our house. I was surprised how much the older boys liked The Phantom Tollbooth, but they were the two whose language skills were high enough to get all the little jokes.

They also liked Understood Betsy, Charlotte's Web and Homer Price. Understood Betsy was a surprise, since it seems like a story for girls. But there is such a sense of adventure and changes of heart that they loved it. The line "the dreaded chores" just came up yesterday, even though we read the book a year ago.

Treasure Island might be another good one.

My Family and Other Animals, by Gerald Durrell. There's a second book also, and there is a wonderfully well-done PBS movie of the first book.

Books by Richard Peck, especially the ones that are about visits to Grandma Dowdel.

I'll second the suggestions for the Great Brain series and for Little Britches. Little Britches is more heartwarming; the others I've recommended here tend more towards the hilarious (also heartwarming too).

The Door Within Trilogy by Wayne Thomas Batson. We read in the car on the way to and from church. DH and I have enjoyed this series as much as 10 yo ds. It's a series that's sort of a cross between Narnia and LOTR--there's a cross between two "worlds," dragons and knights. Very boy oriented!

Consider anything by Farley Mowat especially The Dog Who Wouldn't Be, The Boat That Wouldn't Float, or Owls in the Family. If you want something more serious And No Birds Sang is his memoir of his time in Italy during WWII -- very moving.

I also second The Great Brain and Little Britches.

HTH

~Moira