Menu

Political stance and diet

What is your political stance and diet preference?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What is your political stance and diet preference?

• Democrat and omnivore
    • Democrat and vegetarian
    • Libertarian and omnivore
    • Libertarian and vegetarian
    • Republican and omnivore
    • Republican and vegetarian
    • Something else all together, will explain

The dc and I were discussing the differences between democrat and republican today. After many hours and jumping subjects, the conversation turned to food. Since this is an anonymous poll, and it is not necessary to actually post, I don't think I'm breaking any board rules. We are wondering about the statistics of vegetarians and omivores being primarily democrat or republican. I'm throwing Libertarian in just for my own fun.

For the record, I am a conservative, likely libertarian, vegetarian. Dh is a conservative republican omnivore.

ETA - for what it's worth in this poll, vegans would be considered "vegetarian" (sorry!).

ETA Again - I can't change the poll to allow for both you and your SO like I had originally intended, so I guess just vote for yourself. Sorry!

Edited by LauraGB

I'm a vegetarian, but I'm not really familiar enough (okay not really at all) with US political parties to pick something from the list.

Okay so I looked here and neither of those really fit for me… and I looked here a little bit … I like some of that. I don't know if I like all of it - but this is appealing, especially as of late:

"Libertarianism is the view that each person has the right to live his life in any way he chooses so long as he respects the equal rights of others"

..although like I said, I only read a little bit for the purposes of the poll, plus I already clicked "something else". I should go read more about this though..looks like we have them here in Canada as well. (I don't really follow any politics)

This has got to be the strangest poll ever.

I wish I had been fly on the wall of the convo that led to this poll.

Oh no you don't! It was interesting, but, considering I am supposedly the adult and ultimately "the one who is supposed to know stuff", I may have lost a few Mom Points with all my "I really just don't know - everyone has their own opinion, and that opinion needs to be respected while you find and stand by your own" stuff. If I remember correctly, the last bit traveled down from abortion to welfare to food to food options, all of the subjects eventually losing the starting subject, if you know what I mean.

I was a long afternoon :001_rolleyes:

None of the above - Independent politically and dietetically (ie. an omnivore who often eats vegetarian.)

:iagree:

FWIW, 100% of the ethical vegans I know are ultra-liberal. Those who are vegetarian for other reasons tend to be a mix of political leanings.

I've been a Republican on paper since I turned 18, but I voted libertarian above b/c that is how I lean. And as for how I eat, it is the same as how I vote..........however I dang well see fit. :D

Edited by BLA5

:iagree:

FWIW, 100% of the ethical vegans I know are ultra-liberal. Those who are vegetarian for other reasons tend to be a mix of political leanings.

I know a person that is an ethical vegan, registered Republican, liberal-leaning, anti-church, best Christian evah! (according to himself), conspiracy theorist believing, wackadoodle dandy. He's 60 and a beer loving diabetic.

Edited by True Blue

I'm left leaning politically, but omnivorous. We do try to do the 'conscious carnivore' thing, using free-range, organic, locally reared meat when possible. And we're fairly bleeding heart with our dietary choices in general (eg don't buy anything from Nestle affiliated companies, only buy fair trade chocolate).

I am an Independent omnivore who eats as naturally as possible (some vegetarian). Dh is a Libertarian omnivore.

Some of our closest friends are ultra-conservative, ethical vegans who made the changeover in their 50s (for ethical not health reasons). I also went to college with several conservative vegetarians as well. While its less likely to happen, its not extremely unusual. Being Republican doesn't mean you don't think or have feelings about issues. Nor does being a Democrat mean you're hyper-caring and earth conscious.

The world tends to be a bit more complex then that.

Interesting poll!

I'm not a US citizen, but if I were I'd probably vote independent. I tend to swing wildly around the political map; ultra-conservative on some issus, ultra-libreral on others. I am vegetarian, for a mix of ethical and environmental issus.

DH is more conservative than me. He generally votes Republican or independent. He is vegetarian, bordering on vegan, primarily for ethical reasons.

I'm left leaning politically, but omnivorous. We do try to do the 'conscious carnivore' thing, using free-range, organic, locally reared meat when possible. And we're fairly bleeding heart with our dietary choices in general (eg don't buy anything from Nestle affiliated companies, only buy fair trade chocolate).

Right there with you. I used to be a vegetarian, but was constantly anemic pregnant/nursing so I really had to give it up. I'm a veggie at heart and we buy local/free range meats, organic fruits and veggies, etc whenever possible.

I know people who are vegetarian that eat a bunch of processed junk, and carnivores that choose very carefully. So I might have worded the poll different. :D

This describes hubby and I.