Menu

Movies to inspire dedication, life lessons and conversation

In the past couple months we've watched The Blind side, Gifted Hands, and Freedom Writers.

All three have been superb movies at inspiring both my already dedicated middle son and my fairly lazy youngest son AND they've provided some deep family conversations about life and the way this world tends to operate. I've really enjoyed both the movies and the conversations thereafter.

Besides recommending all of these (if anyone is looking) are there others I should add to our netflix queue?

In the further past we've also watched Hotel Rwanda, Slumdog Millionaire and various documentaries about self-made people like George Washington Carver. The Killing Fields is in our queue.

The teen years can be such rewarding years when it comes to in depth conversations... I wish we didn't have to let them fly away so quickly.

It's an older one, but have you seen Stand and Deliver? Also older, but we LOVE October Sky.

We've seen both of those - and Dead Poets Society (came to mind with these). I agree with those suggestions though!

Akeelah and the Bee?

That's one we missed... thanks!

Rainman and Forrest Gump were also great conversation starters now that my brain is clearing some older cobwebs.

We watch a lot of movies with our teens and discuss them. Here are some more recent films -- but older classics are very worthwhile, too! Enjoy, warmest regards, Lori D.

OVERTLY CHRISTIAN
- Amazing Grace -- William Wilberforce's fight to overturn slavery in Britain
- Chariots of Fire -- Eric Little and his faith vs. running in the 1920 Olympics
- Shadowlands -- courtship of CS Lewis and Joy Davidson
- Beyond the Gates of Splendor -- tribal warriors who killed Jim Elliiot and fellow missionaries are reconciled with the children of the slain missionaries
- The Gospel of John -- powerful; the book of John narrated and spoken while acted out

REDEMPTION / TRANSFORMATION / SELF-SACRIFICE
- Enchanted April -- a single act of grace overflows and transforms everyone's lives
- Babbette's Feast (subtitled) -- humorous; 2 charitable Danish sisters take in a French refugee -- who beautifully transforms not only their lives, but the lives of most of the villagers
- Cold Comfort Farm -- PREVIEW; humorous (almost black comedy); 1920s British young woman helps all her odd duck relatives blossom

UPHOLDING HONOR, DUTY, SACRIFICE (note: most are hard PG-13 or R-rated)
- Master and Commander
- Robin Hood -- duty; upholding sworn word; importance of a father figure; protecting others at cost to self
- Kingdom of Heaven -- PREVIEW; duty; upholding sworn word; importance of a father figure; protecting others at cost to self
- Gladiator -- PREVIEW; soldier upholds his word to his father-figure emperor, even to cost of himself
- Master and Commander -- duty and honor; responsibility vs. personal drive
- Witness -- duty and honor, as a police officer goes undercover in an Amish community to protect an innocent boy

RELATIONSHIP and RECONCILIATION
- Iron Giant (animated) -- great film about identity, relationships, and willingness to sacrifice self
- animated films by Pixar -- most have a LOT going on thematically and will spark discussion
- The Family Man -- PREVIEW; gentle drama and romance with humor; a "It's a Wonderful Life" that might have been
- Dear Frankie -- gentle drama, almost a romance; a mother's fierce and sacrificial love for her deaf son
- Lars and the Real Girl -- off-beat gentle drama, with humor; a socially-inept man begins to transform by first being able to relate to a mannequin
- Where the Wild Things Are -- lovely reconciliation between the mom and son at the end
- The Sensation of Sight -- off-beat, mostly gentle drama; a former teacher's self-imposed isolation and journey trying to reconcile a student's suicide
- I Am David -- boy escapes communist camp, travels to find his mother and has to learn to trust people
- Truman Show -- raises questions about free will, and Creator/creature rights & responsibilities
- Stranger Than Fiction -- raises questions about free will, and Creator/creature rights & responsibilities

FOOD FOR THOUGHT
- Batman Begins -- PREVIEW; great questions on justice vs. power vs. the Law vs. revenge
- Dark Knight -- PREVIEW; great questions about terrorism, chaos vs. personal integrity and "crossing the line"; how the Enemy kills, steals and destroys
- O Brother Where Art Thou -- PREVIEW (language); a comedic 1930s "The Odyssey", but which also shows the 3 possible responses to the call of Faith: child-like acceptance; the skeptic; accept, but backslide
- Gattaca -- great questions on DNA manipulation and ethics
- Island of Dr. Moreau -- PREVIEW; raises GREAT questions of science and ethics
- Cold Souls -- off-beat drama with humor; raises the question: what is the value of a soul
- Millions -- raises questions on the ethics of money, charity, and what really IS important in life
- Moon -- raises interesting questions on cloning and other topics
- The Dust Factory -- definitely a B- grade film, but it raised some interesting questions about death and our attitudes about dying in a gentle way that young teens would find very interesting
- Happy Accidents -- PREVIEW; sci-fi, love story, comedy, a mystery all in one; underlying theme of what does true love endure/sacrifice for the beloved

FOREIGN (all subtitled)
- Hotel Rwanda -- true story; man who risked his own life and saved people from Rwandan massacre
- The Island -- Russian monk thru whom miracles sometimes occur struggles with his own faith
- The Lives of Others -- PREVIEW! a hardened East German secret police man's transformation
- Tsotsi -- tough, South African gang boy's transformation due to contact with an innocent toddler
- Children of Heaven -- self-sacrifice of an Iranian brother for his younger sister
- Story of the Weeping Camel -- beauty of the simple lives of a Mongolian nomadic family
- The Cave of the Yellow Dog -- beauty of the simple lives of a Mongolian nomadic family
- Baran -- transformation of an Iraqi teen angry at illegal Afghan boy taking his job, until he realizes the boy is really a girl

DOCUMENTARIES
- Objectified -- thought-provoking look at how the shape of things actually shapes us
- Between the Folds -- fascinating connections between math, science, art, and origami
- Wordplay -- just for fun; crossword puzzles (makers, solvers, competitions, etc.)
- Paper Clips -- powerful and moving; elementary kids learns first-hand how many 6 million is in relationshipship to the Holocaust when they collect that many paper clips
- Rivers and Tides -- inspiring; artist Andy Goldsworthy and his amazing temporary natural sculptures

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

I second Amazing Grace. It took him so many years to get England to outlaw slavery. Talking about the character of John Newton in the film who wrote the old hymn is a great discussion as well.

End of the Spear is good as well. My oldest didn't want to watch it. ( Mom, it will be depressing. I know how it ends!) Well, the missionaries get killed halfway through. The rest of the journey is what happens to the tribe and to Nate Saint. My boys really liked this movie.

We loved the biography we read about Eric Liddel a couple of years ago. He is SO inspiring, but it made the movie Chariots of Fire a dud for us. He did so much more than is listed in the movie. He taught a child Chemistry so well in the prison camp that when she ( I think..can't remember if it was a boy or girl) aced Chemistry in college. His drawings and explanations of the labs were that clear.

Remember the Titans with Denzel Washington is excellent. It showed how hard it was for both races to see the other side.

Akellah and the Bee is another favorite around here. We just watched it again on our last vacation as it was on.

We are about to watch October Sky. I remember really liking it when it came out and it being sympathetic to the father. They made him a real character. He was a good man even though he didn't want his son to go to school and to be a coal miner like him. Enjoyable discussion will probably ensue about parental expectations. There is a little bit of language in this film.

The HBO film Temple Grandlin is EXCELLENT and completely clean other than a scene where they put bull testicles on her windshield. No cuss words, nudity or anything. We LOVED this movie. We watched it several times...to see how she thought and how she dealt with her disability was inspiring.

The HBO series John Adams is also excellent. You might want to preview it. There is typically once scene in each episode that you might want to edit. Examples: sawing off someone's leg when they were attacked on the way to France, catching Franklin in the bathtub with his mistress, showing a breast while performing a mastectomy. Overall, the series was clean and showed what a tough job John Adams had. We all agreed after studying him and watching the movie that he was an underrated and underappreciated president. Very good movie.

I'm going to have to watch Freedom Writers in Netflix. I haven't heard of that one.

Have fun.

Christine

I've got a book called "Talking Pictures, A Parents' Guide to Using Movies to Discuss Ethics, Values, and Everyday Problems with Children" by Ronald J. Madison and Corey Schmidt.

It's broken down by age group (Part 1: Early Childhood, Ages 3-7; Part 2: Middle Childhood, Ages 8-12; and Part 3: The Teenage Years, Ages 13 and up).

Then within each of those age groups, there are movies listed by category.

For the teenage years, which is where you are at, it has:

Family Life

The Great Santini

Ordinary People

Parenthood

The Ice Storm

Avalon

Social Life And Friends

The Outsiders

The Breakfast Club

Lucas

Clueless

Fried Green Tomatoes

Coming Of Age

Boyz N the Hood

Good Will Hunting

Little Women

Slums of Beverly Hills

Rebel Without a Cause

Sex and Romance

Reality Bites

Summer of '42

Splendor in the Grass

Kids

Values, Morals, and Ethics

Dead Man Walking

Scent of a Woman

Stand and Deliver

Quiz Show

Eve's Bayou

Prejudice and Diversity

School Ties

Torch Song Trilogy

Dances With Wolves

Do the Right Thing

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner

Death and Disability

Mask

One True Thing

Children of a Lesser God

Truly, Madly, Deeply

My Life

Divorce and Single Parents

Kramer Vs. Kramer

Men Don't Leave

Stepmom

Irreconcilable Differences

Drugs and Alcohol

Clean & Sober

Basketball Diaries

When a Man Loves a Woman

The Doors

Paranormal and the Unknown

Contact

Defending Your Life

Pi

Total Recall

The Sixth Sense

And then within the book there's a synopsis of each movie, a list of discussion questions, and a "pointer" for the discussion.

And in the index in the back, it will tell you for each movie it's length, its rating, its recommended age group, the year it was released, info about the director, cast, and subject, and "possible problems" (i.e. "Mature subjects" or "Violent knife fights between gangs" or "Implied teen sexuality" or "Mature Language" or sometimes "None." :)

How about "Super Size Me" and "Food, Inc."? Great documentaries worthy of discussion about food, obesity, healthy eating, sustainable farming, the business of agriculture, etc.

Also, I haven't seen it yet, but "Waiting for Superman" is supposed to be very good. It's about the state of the American education system. And "Race to Nowhere" was also very good. It's about the intense pressures put upon today's public school kids.

Some older ones about persistence and self-belief ("Rudy") and inclusion ("Radio") are also great for conversations.

haven't read the other comments so forgive me if some of these have been mentioned already.

We just watched "The Kings Speech" with our 10, 12, and 14 year old boys. We had a long talk about speech impediments and therapies of "the dark ages" and profanity. They loved the movie and it provoked both discussions of why Logue's therapy worked, the deep sense of responsibility King George felt and yet his own humility and sense of being inadequate to the task, and then Britain at the time of WWII. Very thought provoking for them.

October Sky, Apollo 13, The Last Legion, Jurassic Park - great conversation about science research pushing the line of what we can do vs. what we should do and how to define that line - Contact (Matthew McConahey (sp) and Jodie Foster - she is a SET science researcher who falls in love with a pastor...she has a possible "contact" with alien life and how they attempt to reconcile their beliefs...good discussions and I don't remember anything inappropriate.

The Manhatten Project - depending on the age of your kids, there is a scene in which Oppenheimer is in bed with his mistress, it's definitely inappropriate for youngers but I don't remember anything to graphic or any nudity and then later, his wife discusses with her husband's boss, though again not graphically, the subject of her husband's daliances. Otherwise, a wonderful movie to discuss the moral issues with the development of nuclear bombs. It has an amazing cast!

Amazing Grace - William Wilburforce and his struggle to abolish slavery in Britain. Unbelievably fantastic...I can't think of a thing wrong with it but when I wanted to show it to a group of friends, one particularly conservative one objected on the basis that the dresses of that era - amongst wealthy women - were low. Good gravy, her husband is a high school math teacher...I'm pretty certain he sees worse everyday and it isn't the focal point of the movie.

Schindler's List - we don't watch this one until later in high school. I still cry. As for the nudity, I consider a lot like National Geographic kind of nudity...non-voyeuristic and definitely not erotic. I don't know how Spielburg would have really been able to accurately convey the profound inhumanity in which the death camp prisoners were treated if he had glossed over this. The scene where the women prick their fingers and rub blood on the cheeks and the children's cheeks so they look "rosy" or more healhy, really just gets me. But along these lines and not quite as disturbing/without the nudity, is The Pianist with Adrian Brody...wonderful, wonderful movie.

Dances with Wolves - there are two s8x related scenes that could be fast forwarded without affecting the story line at all.

Losing Isaiah - get the kleenex box out - abandonded preemie baby, compassionate social worker, drug addict mother, what's best for the child, etc. lots of themes.

Pay it Forward - I think that one is rated R for drunkeness and language. It's been so long, I can't remember that much except for this concept of random acts of kindness and "paying it forward".

Medicine Man - Just profanity a little bit of topless native women. We had some great discussionsa bout indigenous people groups, the ethics of research, destruction of the rainforest, the implications of that, and SEAN CONNERY!!! Seriously, there is just something surreal about being able to fawn over Sean Connery and call it a "science or ethics assignment."

A Beautiful Mind - again only for older kids. We had some awesome talks about mental illness, medications, "dark ages" therapies, the treatment of the mentally ill, the implications of drugs medicating the "gift" away, defining mental illness, dealing with altered mental status, etc. Very thought provoking.

Faith

Although it's a documentary, The New Heroes is an inspiring series that shows people at their best. Good for kids and adults. Here's a summary:

The New Heroes tells the dramatic stories of 14 daring people from all corners of the globe who, against all odds, are successfully alleviating poverty and illness, combating unemployment and violence, and bringing education, light, opportunity and freedom to poor and marginalized people around the world.

http://www.pbs.org/opb/thenewheroes/

I liked it so much, I bought it. It's definitely one of my favorites.

The Ultimate Gift

OHH!!! YES!!!! My edition of the movie comes with a great discussion guide. It isn't a religious movie exactly, but it had a Bible study that went with it in my version. Bring tissues. I showed it to the youth and then we discussed it. So many great things to discuss: the gift of work, the gift of starting over, etc. Great movie!!!! Great for all ages. All of my children love this movie. We've watched it 4 or 5 times.

The other movies I used for the youth this summer was The Count of Monte Cristo. A great movie to discuss the idea of revenge and how it can destroy you if you let it.

We just watched I am David also starring Jim Cavezial(count) and it is good to.

Hmmm, fun to read thru the lists.

How about something about folks helping someone during the Holocaust such as:

The Hiding Place

Shindler's List

or others I can't think of now

Psychological problems might be a theme, and comparing different viewpoints on what is helpful:

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Rainman

Temple Grandin

The Madness of King George

Shutter Island

Maybe movies that talk about historic events where you can discuss the choices people make and such:

Gandhi

7 Days in October

and lots more...

Have fun!

Julie

There are 2 books I own that are helpful: Movie Nights: 25 Movies to Spark Spiritual Discussions with Your Teen by Bob Smithhouser and its sequal..More Movie nights I think. I found them cheap on Amazon. It summarizes the movie, gives caution about language and such, gives you some Bible verses, before the movie, talking points, follow up activity and just for fun activities. The first book has Apollo 13, Chariots of Fire, Count of Monte Cristo, Ever After, Fiddler on the Roof,, Groundhog Day, Hoosiers, It's a Wonderful Life, etc. tons more. It is what I used with our youth group this summer when we were without a youth minister and they came to my house to watch The Count of Monte Cristo.

Christine

The things that have inspired the most discussion in our household are Shakespeare movies and the Star Trek: The Next Generation series. Many of the stories revolve around an ethical issue, and the format (short tv show) means that there are flaws in the plotlines of many. Both of those tend to inspire conversation.

Other things that we have watched (with older teens - beware) and inspired some discussion were Rabbit Proof Fence (good) and Pay It Forward (bad movie but GREAT idea).

-Nan

One of my favorites is The Emperor's Club with Kevin Kline. It really inspired me when I was deciding to homeschool classically. Some language and "adult" themes (teen boys looking at a magazine, offering to skinny dip with girls from the next school over). The overall theme is the importance of good character, and how it is obtained. It's one of the best movie endings ever, imho!

The things that have inspired the most discussion in our household are Shakespeare movies and the Star Trek: The Next Generation series. Many of the stories revolve around an ethical issue, and the format (short tv show) means that there are flaws in the plotlines of many. Both of those tend to inspire conversation.

Us too!

Nan -- DSs and I *just* finished watching the Aussie sci-fi TV series "Farscape" -- really entertaining, and lots to discuss comparing it with U.S. sci-fi (especially the Star Trek world). Do be aware there are characters with *ahem* libidos stuck on high, and a fair amount of skin (only seen from the back) -- but I think the show at times draws your attention to that for the purpose of showing you the flaws in some of these characters -- and they are ALL flawed, which makes it much more interesting.

Also, even MORE skin and steaminess, BUT some absolutely fascinating current events discussion fodder is the Battlestar Galactica series.

We're also REALLY enjoying the newer Doctor Who series (a 2005 re-start of the original show/world that ran from 1963 to 1987). Lots to think about and discuss in those episodes, too! And again, like the above Aussie sci-fi, we find the trends, themes and ideas in British sci-fi to be very different from American sci-fi. Fun to compare!

Hugs, Lori

We just watched the Magnificent Seven, thanks to a recommendation by Martin Cothran. It was excellent, and it sparked some great conversations about love, revenge, and motivations.

This movie sparked a bit of conversation in our house, too, but mainly to the effect of, "Wow, I didn't realize how much Bug's Life (animated) was a "remake" of this movie!" :D

-Nan

Star Trek (Original and Next Gen) have always been favorites in my den of guys. I watch them too. Our whole family watches things together when we watch TV. The only exception can be the news. Star Trek has definitely been conversation worthy at times.

already.

Schindler's List - we don't watch this one until later in high school. I still cry. As for the nudity, I consider a lot like National Geographic kind of nudity...non-voyeuristic and definitely not erotic. I don't know how Spielburg would have really been able to accurately convey the profound inhumanity in which the death camp prisoners were treated if he had glossed over this. The scene where the women prick their fingers and rub blood on the cheeks and the children's cheeks so they look "rosy" or more healhy, really just gets me. But along these lines and not quite as disturbing/without the nudity, is The Pianist with Adrian Brody...wonderful, wonderful movie.

Faith

Faith,

I have to disagree with you on this a bit. The scenes that you mentioned I completely agree. They need to be in there. There are two scenes that I think could have been left out: someone interupts Schindler while he is making love to his mistress in bed. They could have done that in a more tastefull manner and we could have done without the nudity. The other one is the commandant's mistress lying nude on the bed while he shoots prisoners. We could have had the same effect without her being naked. Have her covered up with a sheet. I chose not to show this one to my boys.

Christine

The teen years can be such rewarding years when it comes to in depth conversations... I wish we didn't have to let them fly away so quickly.

:iagree:

So very true. Dh and I talk about this all the time.

Agreeing with so many of the fabulous suggestions here.

Especially these:

October Sky is a good suggestion. Also, Remember the Titans is something we watched recently with our teens, and it was a movie I was glad we watched with them. Invictus was also a good movie, although only dh and I have seen it so far.

All 3 of these have been amongst our favorites.

Invictus

and also Offside

We loved both. I absolutely love Offside - we all do - the Iranian thing makes it even more enjoyable for us. Very, very sad that he's been imprisoned. Horrible, horrible government.

The Ultimate Gift

Absolutely LOVED this. :)

Rudy--(football) persistence

Rudy is one of our all-time favorites. :)

We just watched the Magnificent Seven, thanks to a recommendation by Martin Cothran. It was excellent, and it sparked some great conversations about love, revenge, and motivations.

We LOVE this.

Also loved High Noon. Love many oldies.

Star Trek: The Next Generation series. Many of the stories revolve around an ethical issue, and the format (short tv show) means that there are flaws in the plotlines of many. Both of those tend to inspire conversation.

:iagree:

Some others that may not have been mentioned:

Cinema Paradiso

Shawshank Redemption

The Color Purple

Ground Hog Day

Five People You Meet in Heaven

Pride and Prejudice and all others in A&E Romance Collection – Scarlet Pimpernel and so on - their Lorna Doone is PHENOMENAL. All of them are out of this world. a-e-romance-collection-special-edition-dvd-set_5633329_175.jpg

Other Period Classics – Nicholas Nickelby etc. We LOVE period classics.

Big Fish

Jean de Florette and Manon of the Spring

Runaway Jury

Shine

A Beautiful Mind

Billy Elliott

Cinderella Man

The Pianist

V for Vendetta

Namesake - some sex, but deep story

Princess Bride

Who Shot Liberty Valance

Magnificent Seven

Antz

Ever After (Drew Barrymore)

Paulie

High Noon

Willow

Duma

Miracle Worker

Karate Kid

UP Series - love these -

up-series-cover.jpg

The Hobbit

Secondhand Lions

I've got a book called "Talking Pictures, A Parents' Guide to Using Movies to Discuss Ethics, Values, and Everyday Problems with Children" by Ronald J. Madison and Corey Schmidt.

This book sounds great and I love your list. Thank you for sharing all that. :)

I'm hesitant to get the book, however, since any book would have to be constantly updated.

Here are some other movies we have enjoyed:

Riding the Bus with My Sister (mental retardation)

Magic of Ordinary Days (unwed pregnancy)

Something the Lord Made (African-American heart surgeon)

Front of the Class (Tourette's syndrome)

In a Class of His Own (school janitor with no diploma)

Mad Money (just fun)

Pursuit of Happyness (single father, homeless)

I want to second a couple of your suggestions:

Oh Brother Where Art Thou

Lives of Others-but only for older teens. Sex depicted realistically. But it's a well done film about ordinary people trying to function while under constant surveillance in communist East Germany

Also, for older teens:

The Pianist-still one of my all time favorite movies. Read Szpilman's book too.

Breaker Morant-soldiers during Boer War accused of killing terrorists

Shawshank Redemption-another all time fave of mine-depicts a true friendship between men-rare in cinema

Also second the Up series. My dh teaches medical students, and he uses this is his course because it's such a uniquely revealing look at growth and development.

Now that's interesting. I wish all college professors would do this. Fabulous series. :)