Menu

The New SL Catalog!

SnMomof7

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just downloaded it, and although I like the single page that lists all the titles per core, I will miss the book descriptions. I think having the one pages listing followed with pages that had descriptions like the old catalogs would have been a better choice. I do like that they did away with the core numbers for Cores K-7 and now use letters.

Guest aquiverfull

I think they just put it up today, I've been checking it periodically and saw it on the SL forums earlier. I agree with Kel on the lack of book descriptions and the new lettering of the cores. I'm contemplating using the P4/5 with my younger girls, still debating. It is good to see that they are now including the Activity Cds with the cores.

I'm liking what they've done with the reader package levels! Now I don't feel like DD is 'behind' in her reading abilities if she isn't reading the 2 Advanced readers (old levels) yet, because now they are the grades 4-5 readers and she's only in 2nd!

I feel ripped off. I love my Sonlight catalog. Every year I look forward to the Sonlight and RR catalogs. What a let down.

What is will all the praises? I understand they get great praise, but I want to read about their material not what it did for someone else.

I think they just put it up today, I've been checking it periodically and saw it on the SL forums earlier. I agree with Kel on the lack of book descriptions and the new lettering of the cores. I'm contemplating using the P4/5 with my younger girls, still debating. It is good to see that they are now including the Activity Cds with the cores.

I didn't see anywhere, where it said Acitivity Cds. Did I miss it?

Dial-up here too - estimated 60+ minutes to download! Talk about set it and forget it. :glare:

Maybe it'll show up in the mail tomorrow :D

One baby bath, a few dancing stars and 70 minutes later, only 61% downloaded. Dial-up should be banned! I think I'll go to bed and check to see if it's done in the morning. :tongue_smilie:

Guest aquiverfull
I don't like it. And, where is Core 1+2?? Maybe I'm just missing it, but it looks like it is gone. I don't like the ABCs and the lack of book descriptions, which were my favorite part of the catalogs!! :glare:

Donna, I think I saw a B+C core. I'm pretty sure that's the new 1+2. We used 1+2 a few years back and we really enjoyed the books. I didn't notice if there were changes. I would really rather have it in my hand that have to browse it over the computer.

I didn't see anywhere, where it said Acitivity Cds. Did I miss it?

Not sure if they are called Activity Cds. I think it's actually called something like Core tips (can't remember for sure). I didn't notice if it was in the catalog, but there's talk about it on this page and there was also a video about it on the blog. Hope that helps.

I'm liking what they've done with the reader package levels! Now I don't feel like DD is 'behind' in her reading abilities if she isn't reading the 2 Advanced readers (old levels) yet, because now they are the grades 4-5 readers and she's only in 2nd!

Okay... I can't tell from the online version... are there still "extra" reader packages? We did the readers 2 for k... so I needed the regular 2 and advanced 2 to stretch us to third grade.

Okay... I can't tell from the online version... are there still "extra" reader packages? We did the readers 2 for k... so I needed the regular 2 and advanced 2 to stretch us to third grade.

From what I've read (still waiting for catalog to download on dial-up!!), yes. 2 Intermediate is now called Grade 3. 2 Advanced is now called Grade 4-5. They've been freed from their core tie-in names so that people can more clearly see that they can use them with any of their young children, who are developing reading fluency, apart from the core selections (I think!).

I think the new catalog does a much better job of explaining what Sonlight is and how it works. When I first encountered Sonlight I was so confused and overwhelmed I went with a different company even though Sonlight is a good fit for our homeschool. I think the catalog is clearer without the book descriptions, but I wish they would at least include the authors in their lists.

Not a fan of this new layout.

Loved the old catalog layout and enjoyed reading the descriptions of the books, sort of drew you into the cores they were offering by displaying the good literature it would be covering. It was always the books that made the cores interesting, in this new catalog it seems like just a bunch of book lists - nothing to "show" what is so great about it.

And what happened to their little side guide with ages/grades... that was an awesome feature. The new headers just aren't as effective.

Guest aquiverfull
Help me out here, did they do away with the hard copy of the catalog??? I also drag that thing around to many places and dog-ear it.

Anyone know???

No, they are still mailing out a print copy. They said people may start getting them later this weekend/early next week. I usually look through my printed copy a lot, for book suggestions (since we haven't done a full core in a few years). I'm not sure how helpful it will be now without the book descriptions and prices though.

I think the new catalog does a much better job of explaining what Sonlight is and how it works. When I first encountered Sonlight I was so confused and overwhelmed I went with a different company even though Sonlight is a good fit for our homeschool. I think the catalog is clearer without the book descriptions, but I wish they would at least include the authors in their lists.

Is there any way to see what specific books are used in a given core. There are lots of books titled The Trojan Horse or Usborne Science Encyclopedia or Ancient Egypt. Part of me wonders if this is to make it harder to by SL exclusives from SL while getting the rest used or from Amazon. I know that I had issues last year when I bought the current edition of a science text from Amazon instead of the older edition that SL was selling (and that the IG was scheduled to use). They were very different books and I never really got much use out of that IG.

One of the things that lured me into using Sonlight was how many great books they had. I used the catalog for many years as a recommended reading list before taking the plunge. Had I not had that experience with the books, I'm not sure if I ever would have gone over to SL.

And since I'm heavily modifying the schedule these days, I'm not sure that I will be getting enough out of it to buy whatever Core 7 is called.

Oh, and I agree about all the testimonials. That's a full column per page.

Edited by Sebastian (a lady)

:iagree:I like the look of the layout, but I can't believe they didn't include authors with the titles! I'll be getting a hard copy this week, so maybe those will be listed elsewhere (I didn't go through the entire digital copy).

I do not like the new layout at all. I think it's even more confusing now--and why would they not list book descriptions?! That was always my favorite part of the catalog.

I personally do not see the point of renaming the lower cores if at the front of the catalog they're going to assign a grade level "package" for each of them. If you want to steer people away from giving the cores grade levels, then don't use them at all!

I love how they used to list even what trimester you would use the book in, for those of us who couldn't buy the package all at once. I briefly looked through the new catalog and it doesn't look like they provide that info anymore. From a business standpoint I understand. But, it makes me less likely to carry the catalog with me everywhere I go for months at a time.

What irritates me is that it seems that Sonlight makes the bulk of its money as a book seller, not as a curriculum writer. They really only produce the IGs, a few readers, and even fewer books. They didn't invent the Newbery Award, or even write Newbery Award-winning literature themselves. The concept is great, a schedule is extremely helpful. But I really don't like the purposeful omission of identifying information on book titles. Other companies don't do that.

Edited by Classical Book Worm

I love how they used to list even what trimester you would use the book in, for those of us who couldn't buy the package all at once. I briefly looked through the new catalog and it doesn't look like they provide that info anymore. From a business standpoint I understand. But, it makes me less likely to carry the catalog with me everywhere I go for months at a time.
(bolding mine)

EXACTLY. Many people use the SL booklists (myself included) and try to get by with just an IG or add SL book recommendations to another curriculum, buy the books used or cheaper or try to get what they can at the library. Printing up all this info in a catalog is kind of like giving something away. I do understand that and they have every right not to hand out lists with the detailed book descriptions. The catalog does say that the full descriptions are still available online.

(bolding mine)

EXACTLY. Many people use the SL booklists (myself included) and try to get by with just an IG or add SL book recommendations to another curriculum, buy the books used or cheaper or try to get what they can at the library. Printing up all this info in a catalog is kind of like giving something away. I do understand that and they have every right not to hand out lists with the detailed book descriptions. The catalog does say that the full descriptions are still available online.

But for a company to do something, purposefully, that's inconvenient for me just so I will be forced to purchase a full core from them - well, I don't appreciate feeling manipulated. It really turns me off to the company.

I don't use SL anymore so this does not concern me but I am hearing complaints and just don't understand why no one seems to be able to see it from the company's point of view. Does anyone know how many people order the catalog compared to how many people actually buy from SL? Does anyone know how much it costs to print those puppies with all those descriptions that everyone so desires and then how much it costs to ship them? Yes, it is nice for those that use them as booklists and many do just that but all the info is in their website with descriptions. It is not difficult to take notes, do a search and find what you are looking for, especially for those that will not be using SL in the first place. These are difficult times for everyone, if we want companies to stay in business for us I think we need to learn to give a little too.

To my fellow Canadians that use SL I would like to point out that I did a side-by-side comparison on the shipping rates found in the new catalogue vs. the website and it looks like SL is lowering the rates to Canada starting April 1st when the new prices come in effect. Just thought I would point it out ;).

I don't use SL anymore so this does not concern me but I am hearing complaints and just don't understand why no one seems to be able to see it from the company's point of view. Does anyone know how many people order the catalog compared to how many people actually buy from SL? Does anyone know how much it costs to print those puppies with all those descriptions that everyone so desires and then how much it costs to ship them? Yes, it is nice for those that use them as booklists and many do just that but all the info is in their website with descriptions. It is not difficult to take notes, do a search and find what you are looking for, especially for those that will not be using SL in the first place. These are difficult times for everyone, if we want companies to stay in business for us I think we need to learn to give a little too.

I TOTALLY agree. I was dissappointed with the catalog at first but really, I don't blame them. Nobody is entitled to the work that they have done without purchasing it. The info is still online and the IGs aren't even that expensive.

Picked it up on Satruday at their booth.

I'm disappointed by the changes. I used to buy books from them, though I would never buy a Core. It seems from the changes, though, that they don't want to sell individual books to me anymore. I liked being able to sit with the catalog (and the VP catalog) and make up a shopping list, and I don't want to do it online.

From those who have the catalog in hand it seems that it is no smaller, so they weren't going for a savings on the cost of the catalog.

Agreeing they need to make money to stay in business, that is why I always bought a full core from them, but I usually bought the 5 day version with more books because of those descriptions. I think they may lose more money than they will gain with this new catalog. It is not as enticing to those who love books.

From those who have the catalog in hand it seems that it is no smaller, so they weren't going for a savings on the cost of the catalog.

Agreeing they need to make money to stay in business, that is why I always bought a full core from them, but I usually bought the 5 day version with more books because of those descriptions. I think they may lose more money than they will gain with this new catalog. It is not as enticing to those who love books.

Actually it is a savings if you consider that those that were ordering the catalog just to browse and use the booklist now will not bother ;). You are correct though, I just checked the page count and compared to an older one I still have and they have about the same page count. Funny thing is, I like that everything is all concentrated on one page. When I was still considering getting Core 1 about a year ago and was looking at the readers I had to flip back and forth to compare what package offered what. Now they are all on one page. I find it easier on the eye and for searching. I guess it's just me :lol:.

A catalog is an inexpensive marketing tool. Considering the cost of the Cores, etc. versus the cost of production, a catalog is not a large expense. Most homeschool (and other) companies mail and hand them out freely. I think the change has more to do with layout and adding other content.

Does anyone remember when they used to charge for catalogs if you weren't going to order from them? :D It was an honor system. I still have an old catalog with a "compimentary copy" sticker on the cover. :)

...I am hearing complaints and just don't understand why no one seems to be able to see it from the company's point of view. Does anyone know how many people order the catalog compared to how many people actually buy from SL? ...Yes, it is nice for those that use them as booklists and many do just that but all the info is in their website with descriptions. It is not difficult to take notes, do a search and find what you are looking for, especially for those that will not be using SL in the first place. These are difficult times for everyone, if we want companies to stay in business for us I think we need to learn to give a little too.

:iagree:

And honestly...the book names are still included, all that is missing is author names, so I really don't understand the fuss. :confused:

To my fellow Canadians that use SL I would like to point out that I did a side-by-side comparison on the shipping rates found in the new catalogue vs. the website and it looks like SL is lowering the rates to Canada starting April 1st when the new prices come in effect. Just thought I would point it out ;).

Oooh! My download finally came in, but I hadn't seen that yet! Off to look, thanks! :auto:

::sigh:: Just when I think I've gotten over Sonlight... dang. I think I need an intervention or something. Those cores look *so good.*

Anyone know when the new IGs will be available on the web site? At the moment, the web site is still showing the 2010 cores (e.g. I'm looking for "Core C" but it only shows the older "Core 2" for sale).

::sigh:: Just when I think I've gotten over Sonlight... dang. I think I need an intervention or something. Those cores look *so good.*

Anyone know when the new IGs will be available on the web site? At the moment, the web site is still showing the 2010 cores (e.g. I'm looking for "Core C" but it only shows the older "Core 2" for sale).

I believe the new website goes "live" on April 4th. Usually they change it all over on April 1st, but because it's a friday and there are usually a few bugs to work out they are delaying until monday, so people aren't frustrated with any issues over the weekend.

Actually it is a savings if you consider that those that were ordering the catalog just to browse and use the booklist now will not bother ;). You are correct though, I just checked the page count and compared to an older one I still have and they have about the same page count. Funny thing is, I like that everything is all concentrated on one page. When I was still considering getting Core 1 about a year ago and was looking at the readers I had to flip back and forth to compare what package offered what. Now they are all on one page. I find it easier on the eye and for searching. I guess it's just me :lol:.

I wonder this as well. I have heard so many references to people using sonlight as a booklist. Maybe they are trying to turn the catalog into better advertising and lessen the booklist appeal?

It is a pretty catalog to look at and I do like everything summarized on one page. Maybe next year they can add the book descriptions in the back. :)

:iagree:

And honestly...the book names are still included, all that is missing is author names, so I really don't understand the fuss. :confused:

Have you tried looking up a book on Amazon when you only have it's title? There are often 15 - 50 books of the same title. How am I to know which book I am looking for? The SL website is not user friendly when it comes to looking up individual books.

I think what SL has forgotten is that many of us refer back to our catalogs throughout the year. We like to circle the new books, read about them and determine if they need to be added to an older version of the core. I have often ordered books from them as Christmas/Birthday presents because they looked so good in the catalog. They won't get that kind of shopping from me now, because I won't have that reminder in front of me. I won't be able to hand their catalog to a new homeschooler and point out our favorite books and let them read about them.

What made SL stand out from the crowd was their catalog (booklist), now it looks pretty much like all the other catalogs. Sure some people used it as a library list, but at one time SL encouraged that. They wanted to share a good education with everyone, not just those who could afford to purchase an entire core. Now their new catalog doesn't even give you core packages or IG prices, you only get dollar amounts for the full kit, you have to search online for individual pricing.

(This coming from someone who has purchased 8 full cores. That is what tax returns are for after all. ;))

Edited by LisaMarie6