Menu

Faiths that aren't yours

At the risk of one more religion thread ... here's an invitation to say what you like, envy, admire, or respect about religions/denominations that aren't yours. Please no digs or backhanded compliments! Deep or trivial, what pleases you on the other side of the fence?

Some starting thoughts:

Atheism

Atheists have a real point when they say atheism is the one religious (that is, in the category of religious belief) view that almost automatically excludes a person from political office. I can't count the number of times I've heard people say off-handedly "Well at least he isn't an atheist" or "I don't mind if she's just an agnostic" or the like. [ETA: I wasn't clear about the point of respect here. I admire people who are willing, in the face of widespread and open prejudice, to say that they are atheists. Conviction carries a lot of weight with me.]

I would rather have an atheist than a believer offer me consolation. A grieving person really doesn't want to hear "He's in a better place" or "It was God's plan." An atheist knows to just say "I am so sorry for your loss."

Baptists

Friday, I lost a tire on a highway between Nowhere, Texas and Notmuchofanywhere, Texas. The spare had no air. AAA, not kidding, couldn't find me. ("You have to tell me what city you're in. Okay, what buildings or landmarks are around you? What's the nearest house address?" I don't think these people have any clue what west Texas is like.) A dozen cars breezed by me in an hour. Then the pastor of First Baptist Church of Nowhere stopped and rescued me, got me to the WalMart in Notmuchofanywhere for a new tire, and assured me he'd hold me in his prayers for a safe ride home. You can have your supposedly rigorous theology; I'll take the sacrifice of self for others. Reminds me of a parable I heard once.

Neo-pagans

On bad days, I've thought dismissively that pagans are just people who want to have RenFairs and play D&D year-round. And on good days I think, Well who wouldn't? :D

Your turn.

Edited by Sharon in Austin

I love the liturgical year that many Christians follow. I'm Mormon and we don't follow any of those traditions. It's not the same to do them on my own, even though my family tries. And I wish we rang bells sometimes.

And I love the five-times-a-day community prayers in Islam. There is something important about praying together, even if it isn't 5 times every day. And what I wouldn't give to have something like the call to prayer to remind me every day to prayer. There's really a lot I love about Islam.

There's a lot more, but that's enough holy envy for one post.

Edited by Amira

The closeness of Morman families

The the activism on behalf of the poor evident in several strains of Catholicism (conservative and radical leftist, etc.)

The Catholics' consistant pro-life position (pro-life, anti-death penalty, pro economic justice, etc.)

The intellectualism and justice-based traditions of Judaism.

The progressiveness of lefty-liberal Protestant churches in my area--female clergy, etc.

The wisdom of Buddhists.

The courage of pro-democracy Muslims we've all witnessed recently.

The steadfastedness, compassion, selflessness, and that is Christ's hallmark and that is striven for by many of the Catholics and Christians I know.

The Christian notion of God as one who helps us carry our burdens and comforts us in our suffering.

I have a lot of respect for the LDS. On a personal level, I known many who are all around good people: kind, knowledgeable, hard working, and in possession of a great sense of humor. I also love that they intentionally build and maintain strong communities and their commitment to reach out to people in need.

I really like the tradition of modesty in the Muslim religion. Christian modesty isn't always all that modest. Muslim women are able to combine modesty with appearing very feminine and pretty, and I think that even the more modest Christian groups don't always look feminine or pretty. I like modesty in general, not so much for religious reasons but for aesthetic reasons.......I can't stand to look at people's butt cracks sticking up out of their too tight jeans, or worse.

I also like the Catholic liturgical year. I like the connection with the natural year that most Pagan seem to celebrate.

I love the liturgical year that many Christians follow. I'm Mormon and we don't follow any of those traditions. It's not the same to do them on my own, even though my family tries. And I wish we rang bells sometimes.

And I love the five-times-a-day community prayers in Islam. There is something important about praying together, even if it isn't 5 times every day. And what I wouldn't give to have something like the call to prayer to remind me every day to prayer. There's really a lot I love about Islam.

That's pretty much what I was going to say. (More bells!)

I love that new world Christians are so strong in their belief. I think so scientifically that I question everything. I am not saying that they don't question, but that in the face of questioning they are able to strongly believe. I wish I could stop roaming back and forth between not believing at all and believing in a little!

I'm another one who loves the "Call to Prayer" of Islam, as well as the modest garb. All the different ways they wear their headcoverings, and the lovely colors the long robes (called ???) the women wear are beautiful without being showy.

I also wish I could attend church services sitting on a rug. (I vastly prefer sitting on the floor vs. a chair or bench).

I envy Catholics having the Vatican and all the amazing architecture and artwork it contains. My church's headquarters isn't nearly so beautiful. (it's a big, tall, beige office building)

I envy Catholics having the Vatican and all the amazing architecture and artwork it contains. My church's headquarters isn't nearly so beautiful. (it's a big, tall, beige office building)
:lol: Most of the actual administrative work of the Vatican is done in buildings more like this. Nice, but more functional than anything else.

It still looks nicer than this, IMO. :lol:
Okay, you have me there. Still, I'll see your LDS World Headquarters, and raise you one Brazilian Cathedral.

Which reminds me: I envy the Methodists for not deciding to ruin their hymnody; the Orthodox for not deciding to ruin their liturgy; the LDS for not deciding to ruin their parish/community and family life; and the Episcopalians for not deciding to ruin their architecture. I cling to the Latin Mass by my fingernails, and wonder if we Catholics can ever recover.

Although the Islamic "call to prayer" that I hear all day every day here actually sound a little ....umm.... forlorn? slightly creepy? The idea of stopping everything to pray 5 times a day and knowing that your brothers and sisters in your faith are stopping to pray at that same exact moment has a very profound effect on me. Recently, I have been using these calls as a reminder to myself to pray.

I love the Jewish traditions...calendars...meals. I love all the chinese hoildays which are tied up in their religion...such happiness! I love that the hindu religion has SO MANY holidays...they are always celebrating something and it is so colorful!

Though I'm an atheist, I was a Cradle Catholic, and remained Catholic until well into adulthood. The one thing I miss about Catholicism are the traditions and the Catholic culture. I spent the first 13 years of my life in an ethnically European part of the U.S., and each group had their own traditions - the Italian Catholics, the Irish Catholics, the German Catholics, etc. The traditions were often celebrated as a jumble and were very enjoyable.

Episcopalian - I love that they are accepting of others, especially the branch that allows gays to be priests.

Unitarian Universalists - If I had stayed with a faith and not gone full out atheist, this is the one I would have chosen. I like the aspect of each person choosing their own beliefs.

Friends (Quakers) - I admire the Inner Light concept, which is a beautiful way to describe conscience.

Judaism - OMG the food is fantasic! And the sense of belonging.

New Ageism - I love the positive thinking outlook of New Agers.

Neo-Pagans (including but not limited to Wicca) - I love the connection to the earth that Pagans celebrate.

I don't admire any of the above enough to "give up" my disbelief though. ;)

And now if I may gently correct. I'm glad you found something positive to say about atheism - many religious people don't. However, it is neither a religion nor a faith. It's based simply on a lack of scientific evidence of any deities or supreme beings.

Atheism

Atheists have a real point when they say atheism is the one religious (that is, in the category of religious belief) view that almost automatically excludes a person from political office. I can't count the number of times I've heard people say off-handedly "Well at least he isn't an atheist" or "I don't mind if she's just an agnostic" or the like. [ETA: I wasn't clear about the point of respect here. I admire people who are willing, in the face of widespread and open prejudice, to say that they are atheists. Conviction carries a lot of weight with me.]

I would rather have an atheist than a believer offer me consolation. A grieving person really doesn't want to hear "He's in a better place" or "It was God's plan." An atheist knows to just say "I am so sorry for your loss."

And now if I may gently correct. I'm glad you found something positive to say about atheism - many religious people don't. However, it is neither a religion nor a faith. It's based simply on a lack of scientific evidence of any deities or supreme beings.

I accept that correction, and thank you for it. I was trying to find a way to include atheism, and the best thing I could think of was the somewhat awkward phrase "religious category," with the idea that it's in that category in the sense of "none of the above."

LDS - I envy their commitment to family and to social support of their members. They really seem to take care of each other.

Catholics - love their work towards social justice, their charitable efforts, their commitment to pro-life issues

Sikh - I don't know a lot about their religion, but the ones I have met have been lovely. Whenever we go to the 4th of July parade, the owners of the Sikh liquor/convenience store always hand out free waters and sodas. Unfortunately, two Sikh men in our city were recently attacked in a hate crime, which is deplorable, but I'm glad to see our city is responding to their faith community with a lot of support.

Quakers - I admire their beliefs about equality and opposition to war.

Buddhists - I like their beliefs about interconnectedness, tolerance, compassion, self-knowledge, and balance.

I have a lot of respect for the LDS. On a personal level, I known many who are all around good people: kind, knowledgeable, hard working, and in possession of a great sense of humor. I also love that they intentionally build and maintain strong communities and their commitment to reach out to people in need.

:iagree:

The Quakers and the Baha'i I've found to be similarly uniformly super-nice people.

I also admire how wholeheartedly the Orthodox Jews and Eastern Orthodox Christians I know integrate their faiths into their lives.

I admire the strong faith in the Lord shown by "Quiverfull" Protestants.

I admire the calm serenity demonstrated by the Buddhists I know.

I admire the secular humanists for showing that having strong ethical values is possible even without believing in God.

Thank you for beginning such a positive and lovely thread !!

I am so impressed by the way Jehovah's Witnesses work together to build a church building in one day.

I love the focus of Unity churches on positive conscious-creation ideas, and the "Prayer for Protection" by James Dillet Freeman that many of them end their services with:

The light of God surrounds me;

The love of God enfolds me;

The power of God protects me;

The presence of God watches over me.

Wherever I am, God is!

I love the idea of making Lutheran World Relief quilts. I hope to have the time at some point to make and donate quilts for LWR.

I love the Salvation Army's intense focus on helping those in need.

I accept that correction, and thank you for it. I was trying to find a way to include atheism, and the best thing I could think of was the somewhat awkward phrase "religious category," with the idea that it's in that category in the sense of "none of the above."

And I do appreciate you including us. There should be a thank-you smilie. It should be kind of like the I Agree sign, but with Thank You written on it. :)

Floridamom, do know that you and your atheism would be welcome at most UU churches, if you ever wanted to be in that community. That "each person choosing their own beliefs" certainly includes yours. And we do tend to have good coffee hours. :001_smile:

Okay, I'll admit it, I have a soft spot for Catholics. :D

You guys are FANTASTIC. Breath-taking architecture, the intricacies of religious thought which may even parallel those of Judaism at times and some true dogmatic breakthroughs, the tradition of education, the transformation - for the good - of classical education and the redirection of the legacy of antiquity, LATIN, the rhythm of the church year, the papal tradition, LATIN, immense contributions to the Italian culture and the formation of national identity, tolerance - I spent the best years of my life among Catholics, educated side by side with them, and I never felt uneasy or unwelcome, beautiful chants, LATIN, a specially warm atmosphere in many Catholic homes I've been in, in short, you're great in spite of our often ambiguous historical relationship (I'm Jewish, albeit not really observant, and technically an atheist worldview-wise). I was also quite impressed with the previous pope. And Vatican is beautiful. :)

When it comes to "my" religion, I admire so many things, from the intellectual tradition to the family-centered lifestyle, that it would take me a whole post to express my awe of the Jewish phenomenon.

Edited by Ester Maria

Which reminds me: I envy the Methodists for not deciding to ruin their hymnody; the Orthodox for not deciding to ruin their liturgy; the LDS for not deciding to ruin their parish/community and family life; and the Episcopalians for not deciding to ruin their architecture. I cling to the Latin Mass by my fingernails, and wonder if we Catholics can ever recover.

:iagree: Except that, according to my mom (a lifelong Methodist), the UMC is revising their hymnal to be "more relevent". UGH!! Just what the world needs - more "Gather"-esque hymnals and another Haugin.

By the by, if you're still in Austin, do you know about the EF Latin Mass at the Cathedral on Sundays? I think it's at 3:30.

I envy the Methodists for not deciding to ruin their hymnody; the Orthodox for not deciding to ruin their liturgy; the LDS for not deciding to ruin their parish/community and family life; and the Episcopalians for not deciding to ruin their architecture. I cling to the Latin Mass by my fingernails, and wonder if we Catholics can ever recover.

:iagree:

Floridamom, do know that you and your atheism would be welcome at most UU churches, if you ever wanted to be in that community. That "each person choosing their own beliefs" certainly includes yours. And we do tend to have good coffee hours. :001_smile:

I know, but the nearest U.U. church is a good 40 minutes away. If I ever feel the need for the community feeling you get from a church family, I might consider it, but for now I'm okay without a church.

:iagree: Except that, according to my mom (a lifelong Methodist), the UMC is revising their hymnal to be "more relevent". UGH!! Just what the world needs - more "Gather"-esque hymnals and another Haugin.

By the by, if you're still in Austin, do you know about the EF Latin Mass at the Cathedral on Sundays? I think it's at 3:30.

Mm-hm. That's where I'll be in two hours. Rosary and confessions at 3:00....

Re: the Methodist hymnal: Surely Charles Wesley will rise from the grave at the thought of such an atrocity. What's next? The Lutherans perform Bach with strumming guitar and tambourines?

And I love the five-times-a-day community prayers in Islam. There is something important about praying together, even if it isn't 5 times every day. And what I wouldn't give to have something like the call to prayer to remind me every day to prayer.

Yes.

Mm-hm. That's where I'll be in two hours. Rosary and confessions at 3:00....

Neat! I sing the noon Mass with the Schola. The past two years the Schola and the St Augustine choirs have combined to sing/chant the traditional Mass at All Soul's. Hopefully, Fr Albert will keep that alive.

Re: the Methodist hymnal: Surely Charles Wesley will rise from the grave at the thought of such an atrocity. What's next? The Lutherans perform Bach with strumming guitar and tambourines?

One can only hope those Wesley brothers will provide a necessary intercession and prevent hymnal-butchery from occurring. Personally, I think Bach would be horrified at guitar strumming and tambourines.