Menu

What sorts of things do you hang on the walls in your HS room? (posters, charts, etc)

Hi-

In light of my recent "spring cleaning your homeschool room thread" I am looking for ideas on what to hang on our HS room walls--and links, if you can provide them!!! :)

So far, we have the periodic table, a hundreds board, and a world map. I would love a grammar poster...and other thing....need ideas.....help :)

I found so many great posters at dollar tree. They had money, cursive alphabet, US map, punctuation marks, scientific methods, long vowel sounds, and proofreading check list. I also painted a tree on the wall and the kids get to hang a leaf on the tree everytime they read a book. Then write the title of the book on the leaf.

There are some pictures in my album on my profile :)

My main wall, the one behind my desk, has my grease board, and big laminated wall map, along with a smaller United States map and a TX state map under it. The next wall has my BIG pocked calendar and weather and my 0-10 above it. Next over, which is getting moved is my manuscript ABC wall chart. That'll be going on the next wall above my daughter's bed.

I still want to add a cork board above the end of my desk. A United States flag and a TX flag. And I suppose next year I will have to add the cursive letters too. I *think* I may be running out of room.... LOL

ETA: I also have a 100's chart coming next year from my Saxon k Math manipulatives set.

Edited by missesd

I also painted a tree on the wall and the kids get to hang a leaf on the tree everytime they read a book. Then write the title of the book on the leaf.

That is neat!! I may have to borrow your idea and make one on the back of my bedroom door :)

I hung a curtain rod on the wall. I'm still working on it, but then I'm going to use ribbon and clothespins to change out art prints, quotes of the week, the latest drawings, etc. We also hang Latin charts.

I try not to hang too much and rotate as our focus changes. We have limited wall space here and I'm not how it will all end up. I'm working on a reference book with many of the same things I would normally hang.

We do have three clocks, one local, one GMT, and one for Sydney time.

We have The Pledge of Allegiance, skeletal poster as we are studying astronomy, days and months for the little one, multiplication chart, history timeline, topographical US map (my great-grandparents passed away recently and it still has all of the pins in it from the places they visited. We are going to add our own pins in another color), and tons of family photos!!

Before I packed it all up we had a large world map, two smaller maps focusing on areas we were learning about in history, a kindgoms of the ancient world chart, a cursive alphabet, a sign language alphabet, a solar system, a few shamrocks, a place value barn, and our big white board. There were also a few smaller inspirational quotes, more for myself, such as a Chinese proverb and a quote on education from Thomas Jefferson.

In the past we've had a clothesline with American presidents, a large Trojan horse, all sorts of random art projects, flags of other countries, holiday specific decorations, a weather chart, memory work pieces we're all working on, Latin declensions and conjugations, a Latin Advent calendar, and I've probably forgotten many more.

We don't have a school room, but we have a den/computer room (it's really small in this ancient farmhouse, so 'den' is not a good word lol) . We do most of our 'schooly' work at the dinning room table. However, in the den-ish room, we have two chalk areas we painted onto the wall, a large world map, a map of Cape Cod, a self portriat by a child, a white board (for art, quotes, whatever), a large bulletin board with ticket stubs, newspaper articles, photos, art (postcard & kid) , and smaller maps of places we have visited. The closet door rotates various posters/charts. Currently, it's a poster of MLK Jr's I Have a Dream speech.

Edited by LibraryLover

Currently:

Children's Calendar, World Map, Giant Geography terms poster, poster of a train with the months of the year on it that dd made at co-op. (she uses it to practice singing the months of the year) 2 math terms posters I made using patterns from Rod and Staff 3rd grade math, An ABC poster, a science poster of the three states of matter and their characteristics, labeled skeleton poster, 2 art projects, latin verb endings poster, 2 graphs dds made, Long Vowels Rules chart I made, giant BED poster I made to help with d/b problems, 2 posters I made showing when to use the soft g and c, Bible verse of the week copywork.

Ok, that is a lot. I switch out the grammar and latin stuff that we are using when needed. The same with current art projects. I usually hang a science poster or two for the entire year on this year's subjects. The math and calendars and maps stay up year round too. The ABC poster has been up for several years. My youngest dd still needs it daily.

Guest Dulcimeramy
Monet prints. Art prints. I want the school room to be a place of beauty, not just lernins. ;)

I'm with you.

We're painting the whole house (interior) and my plans for the schoolroom include beautification!

The walls are going to be a sage-y, mossy green with taupe trim and gauzy curtains. Desks, bookshelves, and picture frames and clock will all be an "espresso" color (cheap but pretty, from Target).

I have to keep the maps, globe, bulletin board, and whiteboard, but those will all be in one corner behind my desk.

I am so excited. We've had an ugly, cluttery classroom for several years and I can't wait to make it pretty and peaceful.

I found so many great posters at dollar tree. They had money, cursive alphabet, US map, punctuation marks, scientific methods, long vowel sounds, and proofreading check list. I also painted a tree on the wall and the kids get to hang a leaf on the tree everytime they read a book. Then write the title of the book on the leaf.

THank you! I like the leaf on the tree idea :)

Aside from the usual maps and stuff, I was specifically checking out posters this weekend. I just found these posters that I decided I must have!

Eras of Life Geological Time Scale

Animal Kingdom 2 (will be here Wednesday!)

Minerals (we aren't studying earth science yet, but it looks so colorful/pretty!)

We hang my daughter's artwork in our foyer.

We don't have much wall space where we homeschool, but I will post them on our doors. :) Also, next week, I'm making a Tree of Life (Animal Kingdom) on our glass windows, from window paints and green cling vinyl leaves. Can't wait!

Aside from the usual maps and stuff, I was specifically checking out posters this weekend. I just found these posters that I decided I must have!

Minerals (we aren't studying earth science yet, but it looks so colorful/pretty!)

We don't have much wall space where we homeschool, but I will post them on our doors. :) Also, next week, I'm making a Tree of Life (Animal Kingdom) on our glass windows, from window paints and green cling vinyl leaves. Can't wait!

I LOVE the first one... and your right the second is very pretty :) I'm gonna have to take a look around now... I am sure hubby will loooove you :lol:

Well my son is older so we do things a bit differently. Other than the world map all the posters on the wall are made by him. I figure that by both making them and seeing them daily the ideas are even more ingrained into his mind. Right now we have posters about the scientific method, cell theory and Spanish verbs and word usage.

I hung a curtain rod on the wall. I'm still working on it, but then I'm going to use ribbon and clothespins to change out art prints, quotes of the week, the latest drawings, etc. We also hang Latin charts.

I try not to hang too much and rotate as our focus changes. We have limited wall space here and I'm not how it will all end up. I'm working on a reference book with many of the same things I would normally hang.

We do have three clocks, one local, one GMT, and one for Sydney time.

I mounted cafe rods to the top of the bookcases for the same purpose. I was able to find the curtain rings that have clips at the end and I use those for hanging posters etc. Works quite well. If your posters have been rolled up for long I find the heavy magnetic clips for fridges clipped to the bottom keep them mostly straight.

We have posters for grammar, Latin, maps, science topics, a preschool calendar/weather center for the little one, post cards of historical, geographical or artistic interest, an inspirational poster for me, and I have had a white board in the past--wish I had room for one now.

Edited by JumpedIntoTheDeepEndFirst

I have a world map and a US map, and the Calvert timeline that goes along with CHOW. We have a lot of windows, bookshelves and a big cabinet for holding supplies that take up a lot of our wall space.

Next year, I'm going to have a coconut tree poster because I'm going to have the Confessions of a Homeschooler preschool stuff for Schmooey. He already loves Chicka Chicka Boom Boom and I think he will have fun with the tree and all the letters.

I would like to get some posters that go along with the Workbox system, but haven't gotten there yet. I think we could probably have one up at a time and that would be good for the girls to have something fun to do.

Those are gorgeous! Must have!