Menu

How old is too old for jeans?

Assuming you do your own housework-how do you kneel beside the tub and scrub?

Personally, I have a couple of really ugly skirts for those purposes. ;)

Jeans are convenient for many things, but I doubt there are many things which require them - even though I can think of activities where any kind of pants are a lot more practical than skirts. But again, they don't have to be jeans. You can have linen / cashmere / whatnot pants, for example - jeans is only one in many materials which are used.

Now, as to why would one specifically avoid that one material is a complex "sociological" question, in that it has probably more to do with what the material "represents" to you than with the material itself. It's viewed as a sort of casual, "youth", informal or just "plain" material, not to say "vulgar" (in the original sense of the word, meaning first of all popular, emblematic of "the masses" - especially young and rebellious ones :D), so some people avoid it on those grounds because to their mind jeans are "loaded" with certain "statements" or whatnot (I never pondered about it nearly as much as my mother did, so I can't pinpoint to you what exactly is "wrong" about them, but many people of her generation reason this way when they opt not wear jeans, or not to wear them past certain age / "status", such as marriage, etc.).

Personally, I didn't cut on specifically jeans, I happened to cut on jeans when I cut on pants in general. Then with time I guess I did start to think of jeans as of "youth" clothes and preferred to wear different materials for those circumstances in which I do wear pants. Not that I don't consider myself young :D, but it would feel so "odd" to me to wear something I associate so strongly with teenagehood or adolescence. They feel just so informal to me, as something which, if I wore it, I would wear it only at home - I can't imagine walking in a bank in jeans or attending some event in jeans or holding a lesson in jeans... even if I know a lot of people do it without thinking and they're just fine, and it's acceptable more often than not.

I don't know. I guess I'm (sub)culturally conditioned a bit when it comes to it. Not as much as my mother, but she probably did pass some of it on me. Thank you, mother. :glare:

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never too old to wear jeans!!!!

My mom still wears them and she is 69.

I will be wearing them even in my 90's... if I live that long. I wear jeans 85% of the time, Pj pants 10% of the time, and 5% other pants or skirt/dress.

Edited by AnitaMcC

Never too old to both the jeans and the long hair. I wear jeans pretty much every day I leave the house. I don't have a dress-up life and at my current weight I feel dresses make me look too round and frumpy. I do wear yoga pants, sweat pants or even pj pants if I'm not planning to leave the car (dropping dd off at school). I do have to admit that dd does constantly threaten to nominate me for "What Not to Wear".

My hair is currently mid-back and I'm letting it grow longer. I wear it down unless it is very hot and I'm outside since the weight of it gives me a headache when it's worn up. I plan to be an old lady with long gray hair, although at that point I may wear it in a braid. :D

I also LOVE hoodies in the Winter or on chilly Summer nights while camping. My dd's schools Sports Club sells the most comfy, soft, oversized hoodies and I have two of them that I wear all the time.

I'll be 42 this Summer.

Not only do I wear jeans, but I buy them in the juniors department. I just like the fit better (not so high waisted, more fitted). In fact, the ones I am wearing right now have the holes in the leg and all. I'm in my mid 30's. I don't care what someone else thinks is age appropriate. I don't feel old, don't dress old, and don't act old. I will be wearing jeans foreverrrrrrr:)

Now I'm wondering if I look ridiculous wearing jeans - Levi's to be specific - at my age. Is there an age when one should stop wearing jeans? I refuse to go to the denim elastic waist pants that some women of a certain age refer to as "jeans." I'm not ready to garden in old dress pants.

What say the Hive?

You NEVER too old for jeans!

As a matter of fact I plan on wearing jeans until the day I die. And then maybe for a few days more.

I can't imagine you're ever too old to wear what you want, including jeans (exceptions being if someone else is needing to help dress and groom you, of course -- but dress pants or anything else with zippers and buttons might well be too difficult, just like jeans).

I've never seen my 80-something grandparents in jeans, but I think that's more of a personality thing; they're rather formal people in general, and I think jeans are just not their style. My MIL (61) wears jeans all the time, and she always looks nice -- classic with a slightly trendy flair, never frumpy. No mom jeans, but not skinny jeans either, just the classic sort of jeans. She definitely doesn't look inappropriate in jeans. Most of the 30- and 40-something moms I know wear jeans as well, except for those who only wear skirts/dresses. I was in that category myself, didn't wear pants/shorts except for pajamas for well over a year, until I got pregnant and didn't want to buy maternity tights for the winter. I am happily enjoying my comfortable maternity jeans (but am looking forward to skirt weather again). :) I look youngish anyway for nearly 34, because I'm short and refuse to have "mom" hair -- it's long and often loose, and I intend to keep it that way for a long time still.

My DH wears pretty much nothing but jeans (and often has a ballcap on too), and when he throws a hoodie on, I call it his "frat boy" look (which is funny because he never was a frat boy), and I think it's cute on him, even though he's almost 36. Definitely not too old for jeans!

Personally, I have a couple of really ugly skirts for those purposes. ;)

Jeans are convenient for many things, but I doubt there are many things which require them - even though I can think of activities where any kind of pants are a lot more practical than skirts. But again, they don't have to be jeans. You can have linen / cashmere / whatnot pants, for example - jeans is only one in many materials which are used.

Now, as to why would one specifically avoid that one material is a complex "sociological" question, in that it has probably more to do with what the material "represents" to you than with the material itself. It's viewed as a sort of casual, "youth", informal or just "plain" material, not to say "vulgar" (in the original sense of the word, meaning first of all popular, emblematic of "the masses" - especially young and rebellious ones :D), so some people avoid it on those grounds because to their mind jeans are "loaded" with certain "statements" or whatnot (I never pondered about it nearly as much as my mother did, so I can't pinpoint to you what exactly is "wrong" about them, but many people of her generation reason this way when they opt not wear jeans, or not to wear them past certain age / "status", such as marriage, etc.).

Personally, I didn't cut on specifically jeans, I happened to cut on jeans when I cut on pants in general. Then with time I guess I did start to think of jeans as of "youth" clothes and preferred to wear different materials for those circumstances in which I do wear pants. Not that I don't consider myself young :D, but it would feel so "odd" to me to wear something I associate so strongly with teenagehood or adolescence. They feel just so informal to me, as something which, if I wore it, I would wear it only at home - I can't imagine walking in a bank in jeans or attending some event in jeans or holding a lesson in jeans... even if I know a lot of people do it without thinking and they're just fine, and it's acceptable more often than not.

I don't know. I guess I'm (sub)culturally conditioned a bit when it comes to it. Not as much as my mother, but she probably did pass some of it on me. Thank you, mother. :glare:

I totally get that. I'm kissing 40, and, I totally get that. I keep looking in the juniors section and stopping myself, telling myself at some point I have to grow up. I totally, totally understand your post.

I guess I'm going to have to hold onto some ugly skirts! :D

But, what do you wear if you are out with a chainsaw taking care of the tree that fell across the driveway? Or, out in the muddy woods hiking? Good grief, no jeans? no long loose hair? Whoa. Quite a culture clash going here.:svengo:

You know, I used to live like that, and now I don't so I can really see both sides. If I were a farmer, you couldn't pry the jeans off me. But now? Apart from blender accidents, I really wouldn't need them anymore.

My grandmother has jeans and she's 86... will be 87 next week. Now, she has had to swap to elastic-waist jeans, but that's because she bruises very easily. But they are still jeans.

I *LIVE* in jeans. I have one pair of yoga pants and one pair of sweatpants in winter, and I have one pair of khaki pants and one pair of khaki shorts. Other than that, denim it is. I can't imagine changing.

My grandmother is 88 years old. She's never worn jeans. I've seen plenty of people her age wearing jeans, but I just can't picture her rockin' a pair. She'll wear slacks, but .. no denim. She didn't let us wear jeans, either, when we were younger; definitely not to school! I was in high school before I ever wore a pair of jeans; in college before I ever owned any.

I'm still not a big jeans person. It's funny how many are completely opposite, and LIVE in their jeans :)

I think if you are 40 years old and buying your jeans in the junior miss department, then you need to move to the misses department. If you can't find jeans in misses, then you need to rethink.
LOL!!! This struck me funny. Why should I buy jeans only in the misses department if I'm a certain age? I'm 47 and buy clothes in the junior department because they fit! I cannot fit in anything in the misses department because I'm a junior size. In misses clothing, even the smallest size hangs off me because of the cut.

But how do you slog? Assuming you do your own housework-how do you kneel beside the tub and scrub?

that's why we have KIDS!!!!! :D

I should just face it-I'm too messy to not wear jeans.

me too. but i prefer the 'Mom' jeans... even when i wasn't a mom, lol. the low rise are uncomfortable to me...

What outfit can survive that but jeans and t shirts? :tongue_smilie:

a good pair of khakis w/ lotsa cargo pockets are a close second...

I do not think there is a maximum age or a maximum size for which jeans are appropriate. However, I have come to the opinion that there might be some maximums appropriate for jeggings ? I've seen some more mature ladies, who did not exactly have girlish figures, wearing them lately...I was :confused: huh ? Really ? :lol:

I know they are popular, but being a plumpish 40ish person myself, IMO at some point a line should be drawn somewhere. JMO. I'll go hide now....

:leaving:

Edited by laundrycrisis

I think it was impolite of your mother to say anything about your clothes.

It makes me smile to know somewhere out there exist a group of women with enough time and not enough real worries to be "concerned" about me wearing jeans--especially since most of mine are tight skinny jeans.

Sometimes I also wear short shorts and low-cut shirts. LOL

If you look like Demi, then hey, shake what your Momma gave you. But some of us ...I'm not overweight, but low rises are a thing of my past. And yes, a pair of dark wash jeans with heels and a nice silk cami with a sweet sweater is a date ensemble for me.

Well, I don't look plastic, but I do maintain myself well.

I have a very conservative assortment of clothes, too, for political meetings, symphony, and such--places people would otherwise judge me or where I couldn't advance my agenda if I showed up in cut off shorts.

Hopefully my fellow Christians will pray for my soul rather than judge me for it.

;-)

Well, I don't look plastic, but I do maintain myself well.

I have a very conservative assortment of clothes, too, for political meetings, symphony, and such--places people would otherwise judge me or where I couldn't advance my agenda if I showed up in cut off shorts.

Hopefully my fellow Christians will pray for my soul rather than judge me for it.

;-)

Lol, no judging here. Maybe a smidge of jealousy:tongue_smilie:, but having the amount of kids I do--it was a trade off that was well worth it. :001_smile:

Lol, no judging here. Maybe a smidge of jealousy:tongue_smilie:, but having the amount of kids I do--it was a trade off that was well worth it. :001_smile:

And I'm jealous of you!

I can't wait to have more and plan to be quite happy with my body, lumps, bumps, and all (we eat lots of cheese around here)!

After working ridiculously hard to get back in shape after DD2, I told SO after the next one, never again will my body be the same. NEVER!

I didn't think *you* were judging me, but I see it did come across that way in my syntax. I was mostly thinking of the set who claim to preach modesty as a Godly virtue (not as a matter of class, which I don't claim to possess, ha), but who put more effort into condemning what others wear than praying for them or on honing their other Godly virtues.

I haven't been able to wear real jeans in 2 years. :glare:

After years of wearing almost nothing but jeans I developed some sort of reaction to the metals in the buttons of several different brands of jeans. I got the nastiest rash I've ever seen.

I'd still wear them if I could though. My mom is 52 and she still wears them.

It's probably a nickel allergy.

I've had to get rid of many pairs of jeans because of this. Certain brands are fine, but unfortunately there's no way to know until you've worn them for awhile. :glare:

So last summer it was a bit cool when my mom was visiting I had put on a hoodie. I was already wearing a pair of jeans. She commented, not in a nasty way, but clearly disturbed, that I looked like a college co-ed. She was insinuating that I should dress my age. I was 43 at the time.

Today I put the same hoodie on with a pair of jeans. I think it was the first time I've worn that clothing combination since that day last summer.

I'm a housewife and homeschooling mom. I'm also a girly-girl. My toenails are pink, my hair is done and I have make-up on. I'm wearing earrings that are different than the ones I wore yesterday. I have on other jewelry.

Some days I'll get the urge to wear a skirt all day and never leave the house. Some days I'll wear yoga or sweat pants, Every once in a great while I'll wear dress pants. About twice a week I wear jeans.

Now I'm wondering if I look ridiculous wearing jeans - Levi's to be specific - at my age. Is there an age when one should stop wearing jeans? I refuse to go to the denim elastic waist pants that some women of a certain age refer to as "jeans." I'm not ready to garden in old dress pants.

What say the Hive?

Goodness, I am 62 and I wear jeans! I am not sure where some people come up with these ideas but I say if it is modest, and comfortable, wear it.

After working ridiculously hard to get back in shape after DD2, I told SO after the next one, never again will my body be the same. NEVER!

You know that's when you get pregnant, right? Cause Dh probably thinks you're pretty good looking, too. It was like a law that when I got all fit and firm I got pregnant. :D