Menu

At what age did you stop clipping your kid's finger and toe nails?

:lurk5:

Hoping the average age isn't 6. :blush:

ETA: Did you put an end to it, or did they decide to do it on their own?

Ugh.. does my title sound like it's asking what age mom was when she stopped trimming her kids nails? :)

Edited by helena

I dont know...I hardly ever did it. I remember biting them off when they were little babies. They are not nasty nail biters but they must have done it just enough that its not an issue I have ever had to deal with till they were old enough to do it themselves :) Dd has lovely nails. I think ds bites his a little.

DD the Elder has fine her own since 5. I still do DD the Younger's at 6, and I don't see this changing in the next year our so.

My daughter has been doing it since she was 4 because it was such a battle to cut them. I got fed up one day and gave them to her and told her to do it. She took them and did a really good job. She's being doing them ever since. I think this was an unusal case though. I wouldn't bat an eye if a mom was taking care of it still at 8 years of age.

Well, I'm almost 42 and still at it!

My 11 year old has a hard time with her toe nails. She keeps getting them too short and ends up hurting her toes. She tries to trim them, gets it uneven, trims it again to even it up, now it's jagged so she has to snip again . . . then it's to the quick.

I don't have to do it often but our general rule is that if she doesn't get it right the first time, PLEASE ask for help so it doesn't go that far.

still doing my kids ages 7 and 9. My son has tried several different kinds of trimmers and just cannot do it without slipping and causing himself a day or two of pain from a wrong cut.

My own mom never showed me how or did it for me...just said do it. I had so many bad cuts on the toes that led to more pain as it grew out and I had to figure out how to cut it so it would heal right.

I encourage my kids to try but when they can't I do it for them so they don't get any bad cuts of the nails. Been there and hated it.

I was wondering the SAME thing the other day!!! It's a funny little chore, isn't it? I have four children, and as of now, I cut all four sets of fingers and toes! The oldest just turned 10 and has tried his own toes and his left hand but ends up asking me to do it. My DD8 has tried, too, but I still end up finishing off the job.

I remember my mom still trimming my nails in 5th grade, but that might have been the end of it.

Well, dd is 11.5 and I still do it occasionally, but that is only during at home spa day. I'll give her a pedi and a mani and a facial. This happens a handful of times a year.

The rest of the time dd takes care of her nails herself. I suppose she started about 2 years ago. There was no definitive age.

If I don't do it, my almost 8 year old would have fingernails as long as his fingers LOL He just doesn't care.

My 11 yo finally started doing his own this past year, after spending most of his younger life biting them. He's finally stopped..and needed to begin taking care of them properly.

They cut my toenails. I love having a mini-pedicure!

Older dd has never wanted anyone to touch her toenails for some reason. So she started trimming her own when she was about 4. Before that I did them while she was sleeping.

Younger dd started doing her own when she was about 5, but she will still let me cut them sometimes.

My daughter has been cutting her own for years. Probably since she was 8yo? I'm not sure.

I still cut my son's nails (he just turned 9). He is crazy. He just likes playing with the clippers. I swear he would cut his nails down to the quick just so he could continue to use the dang-um clippers. He doesn't have great fine motor control either so he really does need help still.

DD1 is almost 7 and I still do hers.

DD2 just turned 4 and acts like she's dying of pain every time I cut them. It's a real battle...I wait until they are way too long and then I have to have DH help me hold her while I cut them. :001_huh: What she doesn't seem to understand is what is hurting is the fact that I have to hold onto her fingers so tight while I cut them just to hold them still. It's the holding her hand part that probably hurts.

My 9yr old has been doing his for less than a year. His feet became bigger than mine and at that point I refused. Ewww. I told him to sit down and figure it out or talk his dad into it because I wasn't doing it anymore. He uses a baby fingernail clipper with a big, oversized, white handle. It is the easiest nail clipper I've ever used and he does well with it. I don't know when I'll let the younger kids do their own. Hopefully sooner than I did with their brother. I'm not a foot person and once they get past the toddler sizes it skeeves me out to do the toes.

My older son has been taking care of his own nails since age 8, I think.

My younger son (now 12) has some sensory issues and really struggles with this chore. Because he plays violin he must keep his nails short and I still help him with this most weeks.

We figured out that we have to do finger nails before bed. After a trim he keeps his hands in tight fists. He can't stand anything touching his fingertips after we've cut his nails, and we've had days that he got NOTHING done for fear of something touching his fingers.

Toe nails have to be done in the morning so he can get right into socks and shoes.