Menu

Am I being oversensitive....

Yesterday I looked outside and our neighbor/landlady who knows our situation had placed a nice table and chair outside to be picked up for trash. She knows we have little to no furniture, I even had to place Christmas decor on floor.

I didnt want to go out and grab it b/c I was sooo miffed she did not call me and ask me if I could use it. Then to rub my nose in stuff they bring in a huge new leather set.

Mind you I have mold, the plumbing does not work and the windows do not work in this house. She states she wont fix anything b/c there is toooo much to be done in her house.

Can you say slumlord. The only problem is we love the area and to move to a niceer place in area is 500 more and its already way to expensive.

Dh says I am being oversensitive and yes she is not our friend, just accept it.

Run out and grab that furniture now and don't think twice about it!

Either she is clueless or she doesn't know how to tactfully ask you if you would like it. . . . Or she is a jerk . . . go get that furniture now!

Maybe she thought you wouldn't want charity. This way it's not like she's giving or you owe.

I don't think you're oversensitive, I just think she might have a different pov.

I mean, maybe it's all just a way to show off too.

So how do I say I will take her leftovers w/o sounding nebby or nosy.

So how do I say I will take her leftovers w/o sounding nebby or nosy.

Knock on the door. "Are you giving away that furniture on the curb? We could sure use it."

She says yes.

You take the furniture.

Really, it's not a big deal.

DH and I give away stuff *all the time* by setting it on the curb. I don't think less of people who take it. I'm just grateful I don't have to haul it to Goodwill or the dump.

maybe she is hoping you'll take it but doesn't want to insult you by suggesting it. Either way, why not go grab it if you can use it?

P.S. If you really think she is buying new furniture to rub your nose in it, then yes, I think you are being oversensitive. :grouphug:

maybe she is hoping you'll take it but doesn't want to insult you by suggesting it. Either way, why not go grab it if you can use it?

P.S. If you really think she is buying new furniture to rub your nose in it, then yes, I think you are being oversensitive. :grouphug:

:iagree:

We've put out things we didn't want anymore, and the neighbors took them. Our neighbors have put out things they didn't want anymore, and we took them. Everyone was happy their stuff went to a new home, and everyone was happy to find what they needed without having to pay. No big deal. If the table is still there, go get it.

I've seen people very insulted that someone thought they would want stuff they were getting rid of.

Just go and get it. Knock and tell/ask her if you want. Move on.

I agree. I thought she was being nice by putting it out there for you without saying anything in case it would make you uncomfortable.

Knock on the door. "Are you giving away that furniture on the curb? We could sure use it."

She says yes.

You take the furniture.

Really, it's not a big deal.

DH and I give away stuff *all the time* by setting it on the curb. I don't think less of people who take it. I'm just grateful I don't have to haul it to Goodwill or the dump.

I agree. I thought she was being nice by putting it out there for you without saying anything in case it would make you uncomfortable.
\

hmmm, putting it out for the trash doesnt seem equal to putting it out for me, anyone can grab it

I'm pretty sure that if there are issues in your rental that your landlord/lady refuses to correct (plumbing and mold definitely) then you can hire someone to fix it and dock it from your rent. Check into your state laws, but here in NY that's how it goes :) .

Dh says I am being oversensitive and yes she is not our friend, just accept it.

I understand feeling upset by what happened, but the reality is she is not your friend, she is your landlady, and she doesn't owe you her old furniture or even the right of refusal. She should fix up your place, and if things aren't working right you should contact the appropriate authority about it if your landlady won't fix it. And your landlady getting new furniture is not rubbing your nose in anything, even though it might feel that way. :grouphug:

I'd go over, knock on her door, and ask if you can have what she's throwing out.

Tara

I'm pretty sure that if there are issues in your rental that your landlord/lady refuses to correct (plumbing and mold definitely) then you can hire someone to fix it and dock it from your rent. Check into your state laws, but here in NY that's how it goes :) .

Check your laws.

Here, if they don't complete the work, you can inform them that you will hire someone to do the work and give them an estimate of the cost. They have ten days, I think to respond and get it started. If they don't, you can do the work or hire someone, and deduct it from your rent. There are limits, though. The work cannot cost more than half the rent and you cannot spend more than two month's rent in a year.

So, check your laws. A good thing to google is "tenant rights".

Check your laws.

Here, if they don't complete the work, you can inform them that you will hire someone to do the work and give them an estimate of the cost. They have ten days, I think to respond and get it started. If they don't, you can do the work or hire someone, and deduct it from your rent. There are limits, though. The work cannot cost more than half the rent and you cannot spend more than two month's rent in a year.

So, check your laws. A good thing to google is "tenant rights".

Hmmm, we already did work that way exceeded two mo.s rent, does that count, not to get off the subject. Basically, she is an ogre, she treated the last tenants the same way too.

I'll be the odd one, and say I wouldn't take her furniture because it may make her feel in some strange way that she doesn't "owe" you fixing up your place because she has already "given" you something. Kwim? I'd keep the whole relationship with her very business-like and stick to complaining about what she needs to and is legally obligated to fix, and pick up curbside stuff elsewhere.

Just my .02. I think I've lived with my cynical husband way too long. (sigh)

Please just go and take it. If she put it there, she obviously meant for it to go out in the trash. More inclement weather is headed your way (it's raining cats and dogs here in middle GA right now). If you don't go get it, it'll just be ruined.

As another woman said, consider it manna from Heaven. Who cares what your landlady thinks! Who would put it out there, see someone take it, then demand it back? :confused:

I think you might be surprised. :glare:

Wow, really? What's the point of putting something out there, then? They changed their mind and don't want it for trash, maybe?

Hmm. Well, I guess I'd knock on her door and doublecheck before I took the table and chair, then, but do it before the rain ruins them!

Wow, really? What's the point of putting something out there, then? They changed their mind and don't want it for trash, maybe?

They don't want it, but they don't want someone else to have it. Dh's elderly uncle used to curb-pick. People would get really irate with him. One man told him, "If I wanted someone to have it, I'd have given it to charity." Better to throw it out, I guess. :confused:

Your situation has been driving me nuts. I think I have some answers for you ;)

Other Remedies Include the Following

• File a complaint with governmental agencies such as the Allegheny County Department of Health or the City of Pittsburgh Bureau of Building Inspection. A tenant or a landlord may ask them to examine the conditions of the apartment. If the property does not meet legal standards of construction, maintenance, or safety, notice will be given to the landlord and a time to make corrections will be set. If repairs are not made by the deadline, the landlord may be legally cited and will have to appear in court.
    The court may assess fines and costs and order closure of the property. This process is serious, and significant penalties can be assessed. It also is time-consuming and may be extended by the actions of the landlord or his or her lawyer. The law prohibits retaliation by a landlord against a complaining tenant, but retaliation may occur. If subtle, it may be difficult to prove; if aggressive, it may be physically or psychologically intimidating. A lease does not have to be renewed at the end of its term; therefore, nonrenewal is a common ending for a complaining tenant.
  • Rent withholding may be undertaken only by authority of the Health Department. It may be authorized if a landlord is not responding to Health Department requests and the problems are significant. If authorized, a tenant will be given instructions to establish an escrow account in a local bank into which all rent payments and fees must be paid exactly as specified by the lease. If after six months the problems have not been corrected, the department will authorize payment of the money to the tenant and the lease will be voided. If the landlord makes the repairs within six months, he or she will be authorized to withdraw the deposited rent.
  • Repair and deduct is a self-help technique used by tenants that is sometimes available under certain circumstances. It allows a tenant to have needed repairs done and to deduct the cost of repairs from rent payments. The tenant would have to prove that the repairs were necessary to make the property habitable, the costs must be reasonable and cannot exceed the amount of rent owed for the remainder of the lease term, and the work must actually have been done. Work must meet applicable standards, and documentation for all costs must be provided. Before engaging in a repair and deduct remedy, the tenant should be careful to have previously given the landlord written notice of the defect and the steps that the tenant will take to fix if the landlord fails to repair within a reasonable time.
  • A tenant also may sue for rent recovery based on the extent of the value of damages or problems. A court would determine whether the property was significantly damaged, what percentage of the apartment was lost to the tenant by the damage, and what percentage of the rent already paid to the landlord should be returned to the tenant as adjustment.
  • Lastly, a tenant may ask a court to void or terminate a lease. Failure to provide or maintain a unit in a habitable condition, as defined in local building, maintenance, or safety codes, or failing to meet other significant promises or obligations made during the marketing of the property would provide the rationale for the request. As in all legal matters, documentation and witnesses are important elements to support a claim.

This is from

a college site, but it details in simple language renter rights in Pittsburgh :D Go, read, take notes, and then call the Health Department. The mold HAS to go, for health reasons, and you can be protected from getting evicted for squeeling. Now, if the building is condemned... you'll still have to leave, BUT hopefully this will get your landlord off her duff and the mold out of your home.

:grouphug:

All the best to you!

Run out and grab that furniture now and don't think twice about it!

Either she is clueless or she doesn't know how to tactfully ask you if you would like it. . . . Or she is a jerk . . . go get that furniture now!

Then go the clearance paint center, paint it, and it will be like new!!!! Can you tell I've done this before? ;)

Sometimes, I have to tell myself, "I can be upset....but I'm still gonna come out on top!"

Your situation has been driving me nuts. I think I have some answers for you ;)

This is from

a college site, but it details in simple language renter rights in Pittsburgh :D Go, read, take notes, and then call the Health Department. The mold HAS to go, for health reasons, and you can be protected from getting evicted for squeeling. Now, if the building is condemned... you'll still have to leave, BUT hopefully this will get your landlord off her duff and the mold out of your home.

All the best to you!

Thanks for the info, sweet of you to look it up.

Thanks for the info, sweet of you to look it up.

:grouphug: We were in a similar situation (before internet access was what it is). It bothers me to think that she has you guys living in a health hazard and refuses to help, because she doesn't think that you know your rights. I was happy to look it up. I hope you can get everything settled now.