Menu

Door-to-door soliciting for braces?

Last night a younger teen girl rang our bell and asked if we'd like to buy some of her cookies to help pay for her braces. I've had high school kids come by asking for donations for summer school trips to Europe, but this was a first.

Anyone ever experience a similar situation?

She told us that she and her mother were new to the neighborhood and that her mother thought this would be a good idea. Eh? We didn't see her mother or a car in the area, so it seems she was out on her own. I don't know for sure, though.

I agree about doing some babysitting or other chores to pay for them.

Just odd. I wonder if she might have been sent out to case homes. Our area gets a lot of break ins.

Last night a younger teen girl rang our bell and asked if we'd like to buy some of her cookies to help pay for her braces. I've had high school kids come by asking for donations for summer school trips to Europe, but this was a first.

Anyone ever experience a similar situation?

:blink: Uh, nope, this is a new one for me. I'm not surprised however, as it seems that in the last few years, people have been asking others to pay for everything and anything. I just don't get that mentality.

ETA: Yes, she could be casing houses. I just read where a dad was arrested robbing houses with his 4 year old.

:blink: Uh, nope, this is a new one for me. I'm not surprised however, as it seems that in the last few years, people have been asking others to pay for everything and anything. I just don't get that mentality.

ETA: Yes, she could be casing houses. I just read where a dad was arrested robbing houses with his 4 year old.

Assuming she's not a criminal, I say "Good for her." I wouldn't buy homemade cookies from a stranger, but at least she's out there trying to earn some money.

It would be *totally* different if she were asking for straight out donations. But, selling something to earn money? Not sure how anyone could fault that.

Assuming she's not a criminal, I say "Good for her." I wouldn't buy homemade cookies from a stranger, but at least she's out there trying to earn some money.

It would be *totally* different if she were asking for straight out donations. But, selling something to earn money? Not sure how anyone could fault that.

:iagree:

Door-to-door sales used to be a popular business model.

I agree. It sounds like (if she's telling the truth), she realized she needed money for something important to her and she had a product to offer in order to earn it.

I might not buy the cookies, but I find it admirable that she's trying to earn money. Completely different from asking for a handout.

I tend to take people at face value, but if she's scamming, I think it's more likely she or her mother just want money than that they're checking out the house. "Money for braces" sounds better than "Mom's out of cigarettes." ;)

Cat

How is being entrepreneurial and trying to sell something to support a medical procedure you need done asking for a handout? :confused: Yes, it's a little unusual, but it seems more like a statement on the sad state of dental insurance in our country than anything else. I would not assume she was a criminal.

What an enterprising kid. I'd probably buy some cookies. I know a few kids who raise chickens and sell the eggs. I don't see how this is different.

It would probably be better for her to make a little brochure and take orders though (until someone complicates things by calling the health department :001_rolleyes:).

My daughter started her own business of making and selling pet beds to fit inside carriers and cat toys. She started this business solely for the purpose of funding her way to diabetes summer camp every summer. it is very expensive so I had no problem with her wanting to do this.

She doesn't go door to door but does word of mouth and we go to area animal shows and she rents and sets up tables there.

So I do not have a problem with this girl trying to do that.

How is being entrepreneurial and trying to sell something to support a medical procedure you need done asking for a handout? :confused: Yes, it's a little unusual, but it seems more like a statement on the sad state of dental insurance in our country than anything else. I would not assume she was a criminal.

Just for the record, I didn't say I thought she was a criminal (and I'm not implying you said I did, but my comment was quoted, so I just wanted to clarify). The OP mentioned in a later post of the possibility of casing and I agreed that could be the case. I never would have even considered it until I read the article about the dad robbing houses with his 4 year old. :001_smile:

I'm not opposed at all to people trying to earn money. What bothers me is that I get 'hit up' by kids of friends/neighbors who assume I will buy their (fill in the blank) just because we are friends/neighbors and then are sad (and some have been aggravated at me!) when I say no. I have been asked to help pay for someone's college tuition, college books, their umpteenth trip for band, etc. It's the constant barrage of people coming to me (my house or up to me at a function among friends) saying 'buy this so I can (blank)' and the looks of indignation from both child & parent when I say no that I have a problem with. Call me a grinch, but I've been 'hit up' so much lately that it's a bit of a sore spot! :tongue_smilie:

What an enterprising kid. I'd probably buy some cookies. I know a few kids who raise chickens and sell the eggs. I don't see how this is different.

:iagree: A kid came by selling some crocheted stuff b/c his grandma was sick. Dh bought one. He just stood outside where dh met him so no "casing" you couldn't do from the driveway.

I'm not opposed at all to people trying to earn money. What bothers me is that I get 'hit up' by kids of friends/neighbors who assume I will buy their (fill in the blank) just because we are friends/neighbors and then are sad (and some have been aggravated at me!) when I say no. I have been asked to help pay for someone's college tuition, college books, their umpteenth trip for band, etc. It's the constant barrage of people coming to me (my house or up to me at a function among friends) saying 'buy this so I can (blank)' and the looks of indignation from both child & parent when I say no that I have a problem with. Call me a grinch, but I've been 'hit up' so much lately that it's a bit of a sore spot! :tongue_smilie:

:iagree: Grinch here, too. I've helped pay for mission trips, band trips, football camp, and who knows what else. I've never asked anyone to pay my kids' ballet tuition (and it's huge); nor has anyone offered (and they know it's huge.) Sorry, but it gets to be a drag being constantly asked to foot the bill for other people's kids' expenses. I've got my own kids and they're expensive!

ETA: I do think working or selling something to earn money is different. I'm a sucker; I'd probably buy the dang cookies. :)

Edited by Mejane

I distrust anyone selling things door to door. I wish I could tell the legitimate from the criminal. In my area, you just can't. I would have turned her down. I've never heard of doing something like that, but hey, why not?

In our town, you have to have a peddler's license to sell anything door-to-door. I always ask for a name & to see the license.

Actually, my kids have wanted a swing set for our backyard for years and we just cannot afford it. We had the idea of them selling cookies for a donation of any amount. So far we have $200 we have saved of their own money from birthdays and babysitting (my older ones). At this rate it will take a year to earn enough so the cookies are something we'll probably do in a month or so.

The way I see it, we have lived here for 5 years. Our neighbors know us. They can say "sure!" or "sorry, I can't do this today". Whatever is great.

She told us that she and her mother were new to the neighborhood and that her mother thought this would be a good idea. Eh? We didn't see her mother or a car in the area, so it seems she was out on her own. I don't know for sure, though.

I agree about doing some babysitting or other chores to pay for them.

Just odd. I wonder if she might have been sent out to case homes. Our area gets a lot of break ins.

Wow! I'd wonder on the casing home things. You might want to call the police non-emergency number. They can look for someone matching her description, and check it out. Seriously.

My heart goes out to this girl. Having horribly crooked teeth myself as a young teenager (who was fortunate to have a parent that could afford braces), I understand how self conscious a teenage girl could be. To think that she might be desperate enough to make cookies and sell them door to door earns my sympathies.

My heart goes out to this girl. ... To think that she might be desperate enough to make cookies and sell them door to door earns my sympathies.

Me too. Makes me want to weep.

I never had problem teeth myself, but to be so desperate, makes me so very, very sad.

I'm not even in favor of paying for sports trips and such. I will help with basic fundraising for programs, but I have no desire to fund expensive trips, things families should pay for themselves, etc. We have to make decisions in life, and sometimes we have to choose what we can afford and what we can't.

I have had this conversation with homeschoolers around here many times. They want to fundraise for tution for tutorial programs or for extra activities, and I think it sends a horrible message about homeschoolers.

Our money goes to the homeless and the hungry. I'd like to see more kids raising money for those causes.

My heart goes out to this girl. Having horribly crooked teeth myself as a young teenager (who was fortunate to have a parent that could afford braces), I understand how self conscious a teenage girl could be. To think that she might be desperate enough to make cookies and sell them door to door earns my sympathies.

Me too. Makes me want to weep.

I never had problem teeth myself, but to be so desperate, makes me so very, very sad.

It touches me, too.

But, this girl sounds like a go-getter & a problem-solver. Great traits to have! Even if the braces don't happen now, she sounds like has the personality to eventually get what she wants.

How is this girl "asking others to pay" for something? She's selling a product. You have the choice to purchase said product or to say 'no thank you'.

Have you ever had a yard sale? Made cookies for a bake sale? Listed homeschool materials here/anywhere else? Taken clothing to a consignment shop? etc?

I think she sounds like an enterprising young woman. She wants (braces are not a necessity, let's face it-- nice to have if you need them, but not life-or-death) something that her family cannot afford (for whatever reason) and she is trying to find a way to get it, by offering a product & making a profit. I don't know that I would accept homemade goodies of any sort from someone I don't know, and she might do better buying a fundraising kit (pizza kits, candy bars, cookie dough) from some place like GFS. But for things that I'm likely to buy anyway, I would rather know that the profit is going to help someone achieve a goal than lining a corporate bank account. I buy a lot of birthday & Christmas gifts from fundraiser kids-- It's not like they're asking for a handout.

I would buy as many cookies as I could afford. I think it's wonderful that she's working to do something herself!

In the interest of honesty, I'll admit that I might not eat them and I wouldn't let my daughter eat them unless I knew her, though. I would definitely still buy them, though.

I could see doing that. Buy 'em & toss 'em. Hehe. Toss the cookies.

I would buy as many cookies as I could afford. I think it's wonderful that she's working to do something herself!

In the interest of honesty, I'll admit that I might not eat them and I wouldn't let my daughter eat them unless I knew her, though. I would definitely still buy them, though.

Yup. I would buy the cookies.

I have a good friend, a single mom, doing whatever she can to raise and homeschool her 14yo daughter. Dd needs braces, and Mom has no idea where she will get the money. They barely make rent, and their car is barely going. I wish I were in a position to help more, but if dd wanted to sell me some cookies, I'd buy them all.

If a girl I didn't know showed up at my door, and was in the same situation, I'd buy her cookies as well. I might not eat them. But I'd buy them.

It touches me, too.

But, this girl sounds like a go-getter & a problem-solver. Great traits to have! Even if the braces don't happen now, she sounds like has the personality to eventually get what she wants.

You're right. :)

Update. It turns out the girl was probably being used as a diversion. An elderly dogwalker from our neighborhood, whom I spoke with yesterday, called police after he bought cookies from the girl. After she rang the doorbell, the man's wife noticed a strange man in their backyard by their garage. We have about three robberies per week in our suburb, and they sometimes involve diversion tactics. Anyway, the police didn't find the girl or the strange man, though, so they must have driven off. A sad story, either way.

Update. It turns out the girl was probably being used as a diversion. An elderly dogwalker from our neighborhood, whom I spoke with yesterday, called police after he bought cookies from the girl. After she rang the doorbell, the man's wife noticed a strange man in their backyard by their garage. We have about three robberies per week in our suburb, and they sometimes involve diversion tactics. Anyway, the police didn't find the girl or the strange man, though, so they must have driven off. A sad story, either way.

Bummer. I like to think better of people. :glare: