Menu

Does anyone else really have to fight sarcastic replies and dark humor . . .

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. It's the main reason I post here so little. I'm also quiet in public gatherings until I can slowly acclimate people to my snarky sense of humor. :)

The funny thing is that my family knows me very well and after ten years of marriage, my husband's sarcasm detection is incredible. I was having dinner one time with my husband, three brothers, my sister and her new boyfriend. It was his first time meeting my sister's family and I made some comment to him in the conversation which was rather subtle and he was the only one who didn't laugh and tried to answer me seriously. Poor guy. :)

I have been married 20 years now and I still have to ask him occasionally if he doesn't know a sarcasm when he hears one. :tongue_smilie:

Not me, surely!! Nope, never! :lol: :D I edit quite a bit before I post and often after I post as well! lol My mother, brother, dh and I all speak this weird sort of language that is a mix of sarcasm, puns and lines from movies/songs. :001_huh: :D

This is my family. We have purposely had hour long conversations using only witty lines from movies. :tongue_smilie:

Anyone else notice the other thread about when someone's humor isn't funny?? You don't think they mean us to do you??:Angel_anim: Though the timing is... suspicious. :lol: :lol: :D :biggrinjester:

Yeah, I noticed that thread after I posted this thread. It was there first though and I promise my thread was not in response to that thread. :001_smile:

I will tell you all a secret. Usually when I read a thread title I reply in my head with what I'd really like to say and then speculate what the replies would be. It's my dark humor I guess.

I do that too. Luckily, there is a time lapse here that I don't have in real life. I am frequently the person saying, "OMG! Did I say that out loud?" :001_smile:

A few years ago, when I was offered the Tournament Director job running poker, I knew I'd have to tone down my...um...sarcasm.

And so I did. After my debut night running 75 people through 2 poker tournaments, a player came up to me and shared:

"You are quite possibly the most sarcastic person I've ever met." :lol:

I gave up modulation.

Yeah, I noticed that thread after I posted this thread. It was there first though and I promise my thread was not in response to that thread. :001_smile:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA Good to know! I thought she was trying to tell us something. hehehehehe :lol::lol: I guess this proves I'm way too sarcastic. I have a guilty conscience! :lol:

A few years ago, when I was offered the Tournament Director job running poker, I knew I'd have to tone down my...um...sarcasm.

And so I did. After my debut night running 75 people through 2 poker tournaments, a player came up to me and shared:

I gave up modulation.

:smilielol5: hehehehehe

I gave up modulation.

That's awesome!

I will tell you all a secret. Usually when I read a thread title I reply in my head with what I'd really like to say and then speculate what the replies would be. It's my dark humor I guess.

*snort* It's really like a little symphony in your head isn't it. :lol::lol:

I really had no idea about some of you (some of you *raises eyebrow* I knew), there are so many sarcastics here.

We loved it but we don't recommend it to anyone anymore because we found that many people didn't get it. Same thing with Burn After Reading. Hysterical movie. I mean how can you fail to see the humor in "the security of your sh*t"?

LOVED Fargo and Burn after Reading. Best.movies.ever.

Oh, I'd love to hear the stuff you are editing. You frequently make me laugh out loud. ;)

I agree. Bill often says what I am thinking.:tongue_smilie: My fave reply of his was "Oh brother." I live vicariously through people who are thicker skinned than I am.:D

*snort* It's really like a little symphony in your head isn't it. :lol::lol:

I really had no idea about some of you (some of you *raises eyebrow* I knew), there are so many sarcastics here.

I am usually hiding in the closet, cloaked in self-imposed appropriateness which weighs on me like a bad straight man. ("Straight man" meaning one who is a foil for a humorous person, not a man who is heterosexual, not that there's anything wrong with that. :D) I only come out in real life, where I can explain away my sarcasm and people seem to even think I am funny.;) I think half the reason I married my husband (besides the fact that he is a tall, sexy man), is his sarcasm and movie/song lyric quoting ability. That makes my heart go pitter patter.

I am usually hiding in the closet, cloaked in self-imposed appropriateness which weighs on me like a bad straight man. ("Straight man" meaning one who is a foil for a humorous person, not a man who is heterosexual, not that there's anything wrong with that. :D) I only come out in real life, where I can explain away my sarcasm and people seem to even think I am funny.;) I think half the reason I married my husband (besides the fact that he is a tall, sexy man, is his sarcasm and movie/song lyric quoting ability. That makes my heart go pitter patter.)

:lol::lol:

My dh does not have my sense of humor, although he looks sexy and can cook. Thankfully ds does my sense of humor and we are often cracking up together when dh is oblivious as to why.

:lol::lol:

My dh does not have my sense of humor, although he looks sexy and can cook. Thankfully ds does my sense of humor and we are often cracking up together when dh is oblivious as to why.

ABility to cook is a close second in my book. No mad cooking skills here so we really need the sarcasm. I, too, enjoy jabbing back and forth with my oldest dd. Passing on the sarcastic gene to the next generation.;)

:seeya: Me. All the time. Everywhere. Constantly. With everyone.

:iagree:

Love House. The Lie to Me guy is good too.

:iagree::iagree:

Ppl think I'm sarcastic here. I don't post anywhere NEAR what all is in my head. I'd get banned.

SpecialMama has been here and watched Wolf and I trading sarcasm back and forth, joking around...I swear its cheap entertainment for her! :lol:

:iagree:

:iagree::iagree:

Ppl think I'm sarcastic here. I don't post anywhere NEAR what all is in my head. I'd get banned.

SpecialMama has been here and watched Wolf and I trading sarcasm back and forth, joking around...I swear its cheap entertainment for her! :lol:

My dd30 and I are sarcastic. If ds10 is with us or with me, and I say something sarcastic, he will process what I have said and then ask: 'That's sarcasm, right?'

DH is not sarcastic -- it's a problem.:glare:

that no one else will probably get? I have had to self-edit more times than I care to count today. Sometimes I really miss Doran.

:seeya: Me. And since it's so difficult to convey true thoughts in writing, I usually refrain from posting. Which, I guess, is mostly why I feel like I 'know' so many of you and no one 'knows' me~~ I just don't post often.

Yes. It's the main reason I post here so little. I'm also quiet in public gatherings until I can slowly acclimate people to my snarky sense of humor. :)

Me, too. I've been told several times that I come across as snobby when people first meet me. I wonder if it's because I remain quiet so as not to offend with my sarcastic humor. Hhmmm....

My internal dialogue is quite R-rated. Sarcasim+R-rated=shut up on message boards.

Oohh..... we're soul sisters! :D

We loved it but we don't recommend it to anyone anymore because we found that many people didn't get it. Same thing with Burn After Reading. Hysterical movie. I mean how can you fail to see the humor in "the security of your sh*t"?

I'm not a big movie-watcher anymore, but I'm putting these on my Netflix queue. I've been meaning to watch Fargo for years, but never got around to it. I just thought Men Who Stare at Goats was stupid, so I didn't bother. You've convinced me, however.

Disapproving crickets, critical crickets, oblivious crickets, angry crickets....

I, too, can determine a particular cricket chirp. It comes from years of experience! :tongue_smilie:

Ds and I watched Men who Stare at Goats last night. We practically fell on the floor when Ewan McGregor with his straight face, innocent eyes, asked "What is a Jedi?"

I'm *totally* sold now. I must watch this movie.

My kingdom for a high school credit for that. We'd be done hsing my oldest dd.

"Film Studies and their influence on the modern culture." .5 credit

I could so spin that into a credit. Essays on vernacular. Watching and comparing the historical significance of Monty Python. Add Jabberwocky (the movie) and some King Arthur readings and some fairy tale readings as well. Yup, sounds good to me.

"Film Studies and their influence on the modern culture." .5 credit

I could so spin that into a credit. Essays on vernacular. Watching and comparing the historical significance of Monty Python. Add Jabberwocky (the movie) and some King Arthur readings and some fairy tale readings as well. Yup, sounds good to me.

Don't forget field trips into the community to practice the art form on unwitting locals. ;)