Menu

CCs and age requirements

I did a search and couldn't find a thread that specifically addressed this issue.

What is the minimum age requirement for your community college? Does your CC allow exceptions? If yes, what are the exceptions?

Our Community college has a minumum age of 16 and high school junior status. No exceptions. This is in IL.

Edited by The Dragon Academy

I did a search and couldn't find a thread that specifically addressed this issue.

What is the minimum age requirement for your community college? Does your CC allow exceptions? If yes, what are the exceptions?

Our Community college has a minumum age of 16 and high school junior status. No exceptions. This is in IL.

Same here. They used to allow 14 year olds if the department chair approved, but no longer.

I don't know what the minimum is, but ds started there this summer when he was 15. He took the Compass test (placement test) in the middle of his 10th grade year and was accepted for enrollment at 16 in the fall. I went to the school in the spring (after testing/before starting) and requested that he be allowed to start in the summer, at 15yo, to get a class under his belt and to get used to the college pace. They authorized it and he took the class. It did take a few extra steps due to him being under 16yo but I don't think that they have a grade level restriction (we have a huge community of homeschoolers here so that may be the reason).

I know at least one girl who took a writing class as a 15yo who was between her 9th-10gr years. We have Running Start here which allows high school kids to take their Jr/Sr year at CCs so they may be more open to younger students that other states. Our CC has 2000 high school students on campus.

You can look at the admissions page of the college you are considering. Here is the page to Clark Community College in Vancouver WA.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

I don't know if there is a minimum age, but my dd started at 14 and a friend's kids (who also hs) took classes at 13. One website said "students of any age are welcome to attend." I think if one can pass the placement test, one can attend.

Edited by Mejane

Our local cc allows students in at age 16 IF they can pass their entrance exam for all subjects and have their evaluator's endorsement and have decent SAT or ACT scores. If not, then they can't take any classes. They are not allowed in remedial classes. Any professor doesn't have to let them take 200 level classes. In our experience, they let them in, then voice their opinions after they see the results of the first test.

We're in PA, but I don't think PA is standard with all of their ccs as ours costs more ($220 per credit hour) than others I've read about. The standards could be different too.

At Joliet Jr College in Joliet, IL my son was accepted to take courses (freshman college courses, not remedial) when he was 14yrs old. He took a computer course as a freshman in high school. He was approved to take a full course load this year but we decided not to send him (for a variety of reasons).

Ds had to take the COMPASS test and for each course he wanted to take, he had to get persmission from instructors and dept chair the course was under.

Edited by AnitaMcC

At the community college my dds attended, 14yos were accepted. And they enrolled as "student under 18, not enrolled in school." They earned college credit (as opposed to high school credit), they could sign up for classes just like any other student, they did all the work just like other students. They also paid per unit just like the other students, but this was California, where tuition is much less than what students in most other states paid (I think it was about $7 a unit back in the day).

This was not the norm, though. Most others required students to be 16.

C.c. in California don't required transcripts or SATs or anything. Students just have to be able to breathe, show up in class, and do the work.:D

Texas

Ours has no age requirement, but you must finish your 10th grade year before you can start.

High school students can take two college courses each semester at no charge. After they have completed 12 hours and maintained a GPA of at least 3.5, then if they have high enough COMPASS or SAT scores, they can request permission to take additional classes. That's how my dd was able to take 4 classes each semester this year.

ETA:

In Texas, each community college district makes up its own rules, so they are not the same statewide.

Edited by AngieW in Texas

In Arizona there was no minimum age but under 16 had to take the ASSET test (now they include Aleks for math placement) to ensure proper placement, meet with an adviser, and obtain approval from the department head. With every class dd took (except for chemistry) the dept head required her to meet with the teacher, as well. 16/17 did not have to get approval.

In Colorado, there is the option where Jr/Sr (in a public school) can dual enroll (university OR CC) with 6 credits/sem paid for by the state. At 14, dd submitted her ACT scores and official transcript at the CC and the only thing she needs to do is register in person each semester. It is apparently not ridiculously unusual to have under-16s in the CCs here.

Actually, I remember taking an upper-division Abstract Algebra class at CU, maybe 7 years ago, and there was a 15yo in the class!

Texas

Ours has no age requirement, but you must finish your 10th grade year before you can start.

High school students can take two college courses each semester at no charge. After they have completed 12 hours and maintained a GPA of at least 3.5, then if they have high enough COMPASS or SAT scores, they can request permission to take additional classes. That's how my dd was able to take 4 classes each semester this year.

Not true. I know several people that have their freshman children taking courses here in Kilgore.

I'm in Virginia and they prefer that students be at least 16, but they make exceptions.

Our local CC has students as young as 10 taking classes, but they have to be able to pass the placement tests for college-level reading, college-level writing, and college-level math.

In other words, they have to be able to start College Composition I or Precalculus. For example, you can't take Algebra I at the community college unless you're over the age of 18.

So no developmental classes can be taken by those under the age of 18. I think that's a better clarification!

My oldest started taking classes at our CC at 15, but she only took classes in English and History that first year, because she didn't do well enough on the math placement test, at 15, to test into Precalculus. So she continued studying math at our homeschool while taking college classes in English, History, Psychology, etc.

Thank you for the replies. They are appreciated.

Those of you who have been able to place your younger teens into college classes amaze me. It is beyond difficult in our district to get anyone younger than 16 approved, regardless of the SAT, ACT or COMPASS scores.

The website here says "Requests for exceptions are rarely granted" but I know 3 kids who applied, requested exception to start at 15 and were granted authorization. All three were bright homeschoolers but not geniuses. They all placed well above the minimum on the Compass test, but otherwise had no ACT/SAT scores yet.

If you are interested in having a student try this, I would suggest having them apply. If I would have read the comment at the web site and thought 'oh, it is RARE that they let someone in at 15', I would have never bothered with having him apply early. I hadn't read the website, we just went to the college and asked about the steps. I didn't realize it was such an exception. LOL But, maybe it isn't as hard as one thinks (at least here anyways). Considering all 3 people who I know that applied early, got accepted...maybe it isn't that hard to get accepted, but few people bother to ask. LOL