Menu

What are your favorite tips for simplifying your life?

No network TV.

No cable.

No cell phones.

One computer only.

Use handwritten communication as much as possible.

In outside consumer situations, orchestrate them so that they build relationships. For instance, we buy all of our produce (except bananas) at our local farmer's market, meaning that we can have relationships with the growers. I buy handmade goods from artists on Etsy.com so that I can "talk" with the people making the things I'm buying. I try to eliminate the middleman in as many situations as possible so that it shrinks the gap between the producer and the consumer. I also try to give handmade gifts as much as possible.

And this year, for the third year in a row, I'm going to try to keep my herb garden alive! ;)

P.S. to the OP, your kids have wonderful names! I especially love Adelyn, and I have a Piper, too.

Edited by Alphabetika

Stay home. I find that when I'm running all over creation I feel stressed and wiped out. Staying home and just doing the normal routine helps me stay sane.

Me too. I also realized I'm sometimes feeling to need to get out to avoid something I don't want to do, like deep cleaning the house. So I've been learning to just bite the bullet, get the cleaning done, then relax. I end up finding a lot of satisfying things to do at home when I do that.

That's funny to me. Cell phone and computers have simplified our lives tremendously.

:iagree:

We live way out in the country and my dh travels many miles for work. Cell phones and the internet help us stay connected.

Keeping an on-going list for books and movies and ordering them ahead of time from the library.

Gardening- herbs, veggies, flowers.

Participating in the 52 books a week challenge- sounds funny but I've been much more intentional about reading.

I have everything, and what's worked for us (and me) is being present in every single moment.

Not racing ahead to what I have to do in an hour, tomorrow, ten minutes, but staying focused on the NOW.

It's super simple a concept, extraordinarily hard to do and works more than getting rid of everything.

Not just for organizing, although those would be great, but for slowing down the pace, enjoying life, getting rid of the things that drain you of time/energy/etc ...

Not having internet at home has been SO helpful for us.

Join no organizations, or only one.

Halve it all.

Vive le internet, it has made our lives much more efficient, vis a vis looking up things. We don't play any computer games, however, and no FB, etc.

We do things together.

We eat dinner together nearly every night and have since the beginning. We work dinner around our schedules. My children do not eat in the car.

Friday night is family night. Only our ds away at college isn't home on Friday nights.

We work together around the house, in the yard etc.

We don't shop for recreation.

Edited by LibraryLover

Getting rid of stuff ... Emphasize QUALITY over QUANTITY ...

This is where I am right now. I am getting rid of (selling, giving away and tossing) all the EXCESS:

Got rid of around 2000 books.

Also, I packed up almost all the dishes but what we need on a daily bases.

Gave away or tossed all of my low quality clothes and shoes. I can probably fit all of my clothes in a large suitcase now.

getting rid of most of my collections; quilts, original art, pottery, antiques etc. I am keeping ONE collection - my original antique illustrations from children's books. But these are framed and hanging on the wall and do not create a clutter.

And basically switching out cheap stuff for quality stuff that will last a very, very long time.

I no longer watch TV.

Stopped wasting my time in HS groups - though I did spend a lot of time in them when the kids were little.

Got rid of ALL the "resource" curricula and excess curricula.

In the near future I would like to also not get on the internet before 10 PM. I can check e-mail throughout the day on my ipod.

And get rid of more STUFF.

I look forward to more ideas too! :lol:

Google calendar and good phones that access it easily. DH, DD19 (in college but lives at home and helps with babysitting since DH and I both work) and I all have good Android phones. Our lives are rather complicated for a homeschooling family yet greatly simplified compared to most. Homeschooling does not happen naturally for us but we have MADE it work in spite of two working parents...you just have to not be stuck to a traditional schedule. Without Google calendar I couldn't do it as we flex a lot so someone is home and for covering activities and appointments. I missed two important appointments in one week and that is when DH convinced me to spend the money on the Android phones so we would always know where to be. All three of us contribute and share our calendars. Our situation isn't like most but it's what has helped our family.

Stay home. No co-ops. No play dates (unless the whole family is getting together, and then no more than once or twice a month). One park day a month, on the same day of the month, at the same park. No outside classes of any kind before 3 in the afternoon.

Internet and TV don't complicate my life. Leaving home for all those activities with other people...that does.

Not being on committees at church or homeschool stuff is a big help. We are not involved. We can garden, school, at ease with out a rushed schedule.

Declutter is a big one. I am doing just that and just trying to do with less. Like someone said, buy quality items so they last. I agree.

I like this thread. I am glad not to be the only one who isn't involved in a lot.

We do have friends over or go to friends houses. It is nice to have a open schedule, so we can do things at any spare moment. We have had some relatives (older) ones with medical conditions. That means we been seeing them a lot.

Watch what comes into the house, try to not let unwanted items even cross the threshold. When I go get the mail, I try to remember to stop at the garage trash can before bringing in the real mail. That way all the junk mail goes into the trash without coming in the house.

I also recommend knowing your limits and learning to feel comfortable saying "no."

Google calendar and good phones that access it easily. DH, DD19 (in college but lives at home and helps with babysitting since DH and I both work) and I all have good Android phones. Our lives are rather complicated for a homeschooling family yet greatly simplified compared to most. Homeschooling does not happen naturally for us but we have MADE it work in spite of two working parents...you just have to not be stuck to a traditional schedule. Without Google calendar I couldn't do it as we flex a lot so someone is home and for covering activities and appointments. I missed two important appointments in one week and that is when DH convinced me to spend the money on the Android phones so we would always know where to be. All three of us contribute and share our calendars. Our situation isn't like most but it's what has helped our family.

This is really interesting to me with so many schedules to juggle.

Duclutter and no newtwork or antenna TV. These have helped so much. We find that if you fill in the time with internet and video games.....it negates the purpose:glare:

We take loads to the goodwill every few months. We also have way too many outside activities spread out over too many days...

We have kept the internet, but cut back on cable to just having the basic broadcast channels. We have cell phones, but no land line.

Over the past few years, we've been simplifying by getting rid of things we haven't used in years. We want to eventually have an uncluttered house that is very easy to keep clean.

I have lots of books that we collected during our homeschooling years. I am reading through those; and am getting more books from the library instead of buying them.

Edited by hsmom42

Whenever we renovate a room (two years ago it was the living area, this year it was our bedroom), everything is removed because new flooring is put down, the walls are painted, etc.

Before putting anything back into the room, we consider each item. I got rid of two tall bookshelves' worth of books two years ago, and John and I got rid of many books this winter that had been in our room.

With the internet, I just don't need the books on hand as much. Most of these were gardening books. If I need to know something about a specific plant, I just look it up on the internet. Many of my health books were put on paperbackswap as well because the same info is so easily found on the internet.

Over the summer, I went through our instruction manual box. I found pdf files online for almost all of them,downloaded them onto my computer and recycled the originals. That freed up space. I RARELY look at them, but I always wanted them just in case.

I'm also in the process of sending off photo negatives to be scanned and digitized (I've sent half) and our VHS 8mm to be made into DVDs (I've sent all of them). This helps because we're holding onto our old VHS recorder because it's the only way we can play the old tapes. The digitizing negatives helps because I will now be able to improve the photos with PSE and only scrapbook the great ones. I can also get rid of the box of negatives. I plan on making copies and putting them in a safe deposit box at the bank. I will also back them all up on external hard drives (one kept at home, another kept at the bank).

I second the recommendation about mail. We have a recycling box on top of our dryer which is in the kitchen. Next to it is a paper shredder. When I get the mail, I go over there, set the stuff on the washing machine, toss the junk mail into the recycle bin, shred any personal stuff I don't want to keep and file away or deal with the rest.

Edited by nestof3

I also recommend knowing your limits and learning to feel comfortable saying "no."

:iagree:This is HUGE. Don't spread yourself too thin with family obligations, social and volunteer commitments. Learn to say no to your kids, too. Mine had me running in four directions at once. I put on the brakes, and it has simplified all of our lives tremendously.

Stay home. I find that when I'm running all over creation I feel stressed and wiped out. Staying home and just doing the normal routine helps me stay sane.

This is the big thing for me. Staying home. I have just started shopping every 2 weeks vs every week. It saves money, time, and keeps me home more to get the schooling done. We could goto playgroup every week, but I limit it to once a month. I also rarely shop at more than 2 stores--Meijer and a local farmers market type produce store. I won't run all over town to save a few cents because I don't want to waste the time.

I have lots of books that we collected during our homeschooling years. I am reading through those; and am getting more books from the library instead of buying them.

I use the library and only buy books that I can't get from the library and are essential to HSing. If it is a "great book," I just check it out every few months to reread it or find something I wanted to look up again.

:iagree:This is HUGE. Don't spread yourself too thin with family obligations, social and volunteer commitments. Learn to say no to your kids, too. Mine had me running in four directions at once. I put on the brakes, and it has simplified all of our lives tremendously.

Same here. It was difficult, but I really cut a few things that were time eaters.

We do things together.

We are not the people running out the door every single day, and we eat dinner together nearly every night and have since the beginning. We work dinner around our schedules. My children do not eat in the car.

Friday night is family night. Only our ds away at college isn't home on Friday nights.

We work together around the house, in the yard etc.

We have never been to the mall as a family. We don't shop for recreation.

This is us for the most part:

We eat dinner together EVERY night at the table. I don't rush all around and have the kid's eat in the van etc... This is VERY important to me. We spend lot's of time in the kitchen and I try to make almost everything from scratch. I've even started making my own bread. I enjoy all the time we spend together in our kitchen and just being home.

I don't commit to a lot of outside activities. We go to gym class occasionally on Monday afternoons, the kid's attend church on Wednesday evenings, and we try to make it to After School Adventures at our local library on Thursday afternoons. I keep things simple and like it that way.

I'm VERY organized and don't have clutter around me.

I just don't create things to do that keep me busy, even at home. I think busy-ness is a disease created by modern man. I do what needs doing. And I enjoy myself. I am comfortable with peace and quiet and doing not much at times- I dont need to fill every living moment with productive usefulness .

I just don't create things to do that keep me busy, even at home. I think busy-ness is a disease created by modern man. I do what needs doing. And I enjoy myself. I am comfortable with peace and quiet and doing not much at times- I dont need to fill every living moment with productive usefulness .

:iagree:

I try to make sure we have Sundays free. We stay in our pajamas all day and just relax.