Menu

Making your own wipes/cleaning towels

I am *trying* to make my own baby wipes My son gets *BAD* eczema if I use regular wipes, so I have to buy the Hypoallergenic, organic cotton, expensive wipes in order for his bum not to break out.

It gets expensive. So.. how do I cut through a roll of paper towels easily so I can start?

I tried with my straight edge kitchen knife. I broke a sweat and didn't even get a quarter of the way through.

I used a cerated edged knife and got through but not without making a huge mess and it didn't seem worth it.

Any suggestions on getting through roll of paper towels?

Most people I've heard that do this get the best results with an electric knife.

I didn't bother with the paper towel version. I used those little bundles of washclothes that come in packs at the discount department stores, folded them in 3rds into a wipe box, then squirted them with a solution I kept in a spray bottle in our diaper basket.

I've never heard of cutting up paper towels. That seems like that could get expensive, too. We have always used cloth wipes. I am using the same ones now that I used when my 7 yo was a baby. I have a squeeze bottle of plain water to wet them as I use them.

You could make them easily if you sew at all. Do you have any fabric laying around? Sherpa, flannel, velour, etc. You could also use the baby washcloths, those are a good size. I think it would be cheaper in the long run to use something that you can keep reusing.

Another vote for those thin cheapy gazillion to the pack baby washcloths. I fold them into thirds with the next washcloth folded into them so they "pop" up in the wipes container . I make a solution 2 cups water, 2 tablespoons olive oil, and 2 tablespoons baby shampoo or a handful of grated all natural soap. Anymore, heat the mixture up on the stove to mix in the oil and soap and then pour over the stack of wipes in the container. Sometimes, I add in a couple of drops of tea tree oil. Works so well I made cloths for the 4 year old who deals with "itchy red " butt area a lot. Cheap easy and out of four kids, I have only had skin problems when they were on medicine.

Cloth wipes here too. And we stopped using "fancy" mixes. We keep them dry until we need them, then wet them with plain warm water. It works beautifully.

Here too, a fresh bowl of warm water whenever someone needed changing. It was so nice never to have to worry about getting the best deal on wipes or dealing with coupons or sales!

Back when mine were little, I tried making wipes with paper towels. I switched to cloth as well. I just wet them as needed under the faucet. Mine were made with two layers of cotton velour and sooooo soft. Plus, they clean so much better. I could clean up a REALLY yucky diaper with just one. When I have watched my friend's babies since then, they send disposable wipes. Those things just seem to push the ick around. My wipes grab it. I still have them put away in case I have another and they have already gone through the last two kids. They still look new other than a little dingy.

Another ditto on the cloth wipes. We had to switch due to allergy as well. Because my childrens' skin is so sensitive, we bought microfleece wipes. You can either buy them pre-sewn or you can just buy a yard of microfleece online and cut them yourself. You could either serge the others, or just leave them cut. Because it is fleece, it will not fray.

I also used cloth wipes but also cloth nappies so they just went in the nappy bucket until I washed the nappies.

I guess if I wasnt in the mode of washing nappies (using disposals) I would still put them all in a bucket with a lid and then do a wash with oxygen bleach the same as nappies. Or, like I do with my own cloth sanitary napkins, I might put them in a bucket with water and some oxygen bleach or vinegar (to stop it putrefying) until ready to wash them.

Or, you could rinse them under the tap and then wash them when you were ready.

Lots of possiblities!

I didn't bother with the paper towel version. I used those little bundles of washclothes that come in packs at the discount department stores, folded them in 3rds into a wipe box, then squirted them with a solution I kept in a spray bottle in our diaper basket.

Same here, more or less. I had a pile of cheap, small cloths. Mostly I just wet them as I needed them, but if I was going out I wet them and stored them in a wipe box.