Menu

Just for fun: A place I will never live

See now I would have always answered Australia...but only because every other episode of Crocodile Hunter involved him finding "the world's most deadly..." and in a brief moment the camera crew would slightly pull back and you see the play set or lawn furniture that indicated that was someone's "Down Under" backyard.

I'm not sure if it's bravery, or if it's that most Aussies won't watch the Crocodile Hunter. ;)

Rosie

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where I live (right above the Dade countyline) we don't even get love bugs anymore. I think you don't see them until you get up to around Stuart in Palm Beach County. I love the weather here. I'll take the heat over the cold any day of the week, but I wish it wasn't so CROWDED!! The traffic and crowds everywhere really get to me. I get so tired of it all. I wish there were a place in Florida that was undiscovered that nobody knew about that was still on the beach (ocean side) that was quiet and calm, warm and beautiful with clean water and not a lot of people. That would be so perfect. :)

If you find it, can I come too? I promise I won't tell anyone else....

Love the Christmas Island crabs!

I will never live North of the Mason-Dixon again(from Indiana), it's to blasted cold! I will also never live west of the Mississippi again, I don't want to offend anyone so I will keep my reasons for that to myself (Kansas!):tongue_smilie:

No, but seriously, we love the South, and have no real intention to move.

If you find it, can I come too? I promise I won't tell anyone else....

Sure! I'll just take my WTM boardies with me and we can have a Well Trained Community. :)

I sometimes wonder what this state must have been like when the Spanish first arrived here and it was all unspoiled. I'm only 39 years old and it is shocking to me how much we have lost in just my lifetime. I used to dive the reefs all over the southern East coast and down into the Keys. I probably dove every reef there is (or was) and it's amazing to me how much of them are gone now when they used to be so beautiful and thriving with fish and marine life. Same thing with the Springs in Central Florida. I went to Alexander Springs a few years ago after not having been there in probably 18 years and I literally cried when I saw it. The fish were all gone, the water that used to be so clean you could drink it and it was sweet and you could see clear straight through down to the sandy bottom, was yucky tasting and there was nothing but algae everywhere. You couldn't even see the bottom anymore for all the algae. It broke my heart. :crying:

I do have two secret places that I go to that nobody else seems to know about. One is a nature walk kind of place the other is on the beach in my city where there is this secluded area that nobody ever goes to. It is my favorite place. I love to sit there at night with the ocean and the moon on the water and just watch the waves. It's so secluded all around with palm trees and sea grapes it feels like a private beach. It's so peaceful there. :)

I'm not sure if it's bravery, or if it's that most Aussies won't watch the Crocodile Hunter.
Quite right :) We just pretend the creatures aren't there. Including the snake that struck my son's shoe while he was riding his bike :eek:

But don't forget, you will get a slightly warped view of any country if you only get your info from the media. For a while, my children were adamant they would never live in the US because "everybody has guns and we'll get shot the minute we get there" :D

I sometimes wonder what this state must have been like when the Spanish first arrived here and it was all unspoiled. I'm only 39 years old and it is shocking to me how much we have lost in just my lifetime. I used to dive the reefs all over the southern East coast and down into the Keys. I probably dove every reef there is (or was) and it's amazing to me how much of them are gone now when they used to be so beautiful and thriving with fish and marine life. Same thing with the Springs in Central Florida. I went to Alexander Springs a few years ago after not having been there in probably 18 years and I literally cried when I saw it. The fish were all gone, the water that used to be so clean you could drink it and it was sweet and you could see clear straight through down to the sandy bottom, was yucky tasting and there was nothing but algae everywhere. You couldn't even see the bottom anymore for all the algae. It broke my heart. :crying:

:)

This makes me a bit nostalgic - I was born and raised in Miami, and now I am 49 :eek:, so I can relate to how drastically things have changed. Haven't lived in Florida, though, since 2005. Now we're in MI!

Anyway, I was raised by my grandparents, who were both born in FL - in fact, my grandfather's great-grandfather had come over from Scotland a looong time ago (1830's?). So, I would hear all their stories about old-time Florida. I loved hearing those stories. Grandpa was raised in norther FL, and Granny was born in the Orlando area, then went to an orphanage in Jacksonville. They both lived ALL OVER the place, thru the years, til they finally settled down in Miami.

Where do you live? I grew up in North Miami Beach, and many of my aunts and uncles and cousins are in Hallandale and Hollywood.

Veronica

Don't worry about it. It's virtually impossible to move there if you want to, so no one will be able to force you. ;)

I will never live in America. :tongue_smilie:

Rosie

:iagree: I will never live in American (again). There is no amount of money that could persuade me, either. :D

This makes me a bit nostalgic - I was born and raised in Miami, and now I am 49 :eek:, so I can relate to how drastically things have changed. Haven't lived in Florida, though, since 2005. Now we're in MI!

Anyway, I was raised by my grandparents, who were both born in FL - in fact, my grandfather's great-grandfather had come over from Scotland a looong time ago (1830's?). So, I would hear all their stories about old-time Florida. I loved hearing those stories. Grandpa was raised in norther FL, and Granny was born in the Orlando area, then went to an orphanage in Jacksonville. They both lived ALL OVER the place, thru the years, til they finally settled down in Miami.

Where do you live? I grew up in North Miami Beach, and many of my aunts and uncles and cousins are in Hallandale and Hollywood.

Veronica

We're old-timers too. My great grandmother was born and raised in Key West during the late 1800's. Her parents were from the Canary Islands in Spain. My great grandfather was born and raised in the outskirts of Havana, Cuba (Jesus del monte) in 1890. His parents were from Asturias, Spain. He left Cuba at 16 to come to Tampa, Florida to work in the cigar factories that used to be here. He met and married my great grandma in Ybor City in Tampa in 1907 and raised his family here. Both of my grandparents were born and raised and in Ybor City and my mom too was born and raised in Ybor City but left when she got married and settled in Ft. Lauderdale where my brother and I were born and raised.

I've lived in Broward county my whole life and have been living in South-east Hollywood since I got married 14 years ago. I live less than 2 miles from Hollywood Beach. My little secluded beach spot is just a jog north of Sheridan Street on A1A on Greene street. It's a sea turtle nesting ground area so it's closed off to development, but it's still open to the public. It's so so pretty there. My camera really sucks so I couldn't do it right now, but I'm in the market for a new one. If/when I get it I'll take some video for you if you want and I'll put it up for you to reminisce. I really love that little spot at night. :) I was on the beach last night and the moon was full and it was so huge rising up out of the ocean. Everybody was stopping and just looking at it because it was just SO BIG and beautiful. I would have taken pictures too if I could with my camera in my phone, but they don't come out when taken at night. :blushing:

I've learned to never say never. The last time I said I would NEVER live in "such and such town", we moved there a couple of years later. We still live there. :glare:

P.S. It's not that bad after all.

:iagree:

I remember flying in an airplane over Nevada and thinking how horribly desolate and generally yucky it looked, and how I never wanted to live there.

And, well, that's where I am. Our little bit is not desolate, but we're pretty much surrounded by the exact landscape I didn't like from above :)

Well, when dh and I had been married for almost 4 yrs., he began looking for employment elsewhere as he was clearly as high as he could go where he was and pay was going to stagnant yet our neighborhood was getting more and more expensive.

I told him, "Hey, great! I don't mind moving, though I do adore this house. However, there are three places I absolutely do not want to live. Memphis, Tennessee, Oklahoma City, and anywhere in the three west coast states." (I'd had some bad experiences while visiting these locals during my growing up years - parents took us traveling a lot - so I had this bad taste in my mouth.)

Dh was offered positions in Memphis, Oklahoma City, and Oregon. He had not even attempted to pursue lines of work in these areas. It was just a matter of someone, knew someone, who knew someone, who had a copy of his resume, etc. In all three cases, the offers were made without so much as an interview. WE ENDED UP MOVING TO OREGON AND I HATED IT!

So, now I never say never. As for hating Oregon, that ended up having nothing to do with the state. The job turned out to be terrible, dh had to blow the whistle on some corruption in the book keeping, which necessitated us needing to find somewhere else very fast! Also, the cost of living was VERY misrepresented to us - by the same individuals he ended up turning in - and so we were hard pressed to make ends meet though the pay and benefits were better than his previous job. We ended up living, for one year, in the fourth place I never wanted to live - FLORIDA and next door to his parents in a rental property they owned. UGH, UGH, UGH, UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Therefore, I refuse to say "I don't want to live in ___________" because I am just certain I will be sent directly there.

Faith

Therefore, I refuse to say "I don't want to live in ___________" because I am just certain I will be sent directly there.

Faith

(shuffling feet and looking down a little sheepishly) Well then, I NEVER want to live in Hawaii or New Zealand. (Just don't go read the thread about where one dreams of living...)

Arizona, or any place desert-y

Florida or anywhere along the Gulf Coast. BTDT and hated the prolonged heat, the humidity, the hurricanes, the BUGS!

Canada (too cold)

France (too expensive and too snobby)

Anywhere in the Middle East, even Israel, though I'd love to visit there

Alaska

Mexico...come to think of it, all of Central America, too

Africa, Asia, Antarctica (yes, I'm obliterating whole continents! LOL)

Arizona, or any place desert-y

Florida or anywhere along the Gulf Coast. BTDT and hated the prolonged heat, the humidity, the hurricanes, the BUGS!

Canada (too cold)

France (too expensive and too snobby)

Anywhere in the Middle East, even Israel, though I'd love to visit there

Alaska

Mexico...come to think of it, all of Central America, too

Africa, Asia, Antarctica (yes, I'm obliterating whole continents! LOL)

LOL I'm wondering what that leaves?? :lol::lol:

Sure! I'll just take my WTM boardies with me and we can have a Well Trained Community. :)

I do have two secret places that I go to that nobody else seems to know about. One is a nature walk kind of place the other is on the beach in my city where there is this secluded area that nobody ever goes to. It is my favorite place. I love to sit there at night with the ocean and the moon on the water and just watch the waves. It's so secluded all around with palm trees and sea grapes it feels like a private beach. It's so peaceful there. :)

I know what you mean. I live in central Fl. Last time I went spring diving I only saw a handful of small fish and one turtle. The springs used to be packed with critters. And the huge areas off the coast where the reefs used to be are now just miles of sandy bottom. So sad.

I know what you mean. I live in central Fl. Last time I went spring diving I only saw a handful of small fish and one turtle. The springs used to be packed with critters. And the huge areas off the coast where the reefs used to be are now just miles of sandy bottom. So sad.

It really is. It breaks my heart what's happened here. At least they finally protected the Everglades. At least we still have that, but man, the reefs are just about gone. :crying:

Anywhere that gets really cold or has lots of snow or too many gray days. Malaysian weather has RUINED me. I am addicted to summer now.

:iagree:

Same for us in the Caribbean. Dh feels even more strongly than I do on this. He practically refuses to even visit somewhere cold. Our dc have seen snow once.

Wow. That had the opposite effect on me. It totally made me want to visit.

:iagree: Me too!

When I was a kid I visited my grandparents during the crab mating season (they used to live on a canal/near a river in FL). I remember seeing hundreds of tiny crabs flowing like water through their backyard and into the carport. I jumped up onto the porch. :D

Edited by zaichiki

That occurred to me, but I thought you all might be too "desert-y" or too close to Asia. :) I would like to hear what she thinks of Australia. :) She's too funny. hehe

LOL! It leaves quite a lot, actually, including Australia, which I have only ever heard fabulous things about!

It also includes most of the USA, South America, most of Europe, especially the UK, where I lived for a year and adored it.

We're old-timers too. My great grandmother was born and raised in Key West during the late 1800's. Her parents were from the Canary Islands in Spain. My great grandfather was born and raised in the outskirts of Havana, Cuba (Jesus del monte) in 1890. His parents were from Asturias, Spain. He left Cuba at 16 to come to Tampa, Florida to work in the cigar factories that used to be here. He met and married my great grandma in Ybor City in Tampa in 1907 and raised his family here. Both of my grandparents were born and raised and in Ybor City and my mom too was born and raised in Ybor City but left when she got married and settled in Ft. Lauderdale where my brother and I were born and raised.

I've lived in Broward county my whole life and have been living in South-east Hollywood since I got married 14 years ago. I live less than 2 miles from Hollywood Beach. My little secluded beach spot is just a jog north of Sheridan Street on A1A on Greene street. It's a sea turtle nesting ground area so it's closed off to development, but it's still open to the public. It's so so pretty there. My camera really sucks so I couldn't do it right now, but I'm in the market for a new one. If/when I get it I'll take some video for you if you want and I'll put it up for you to reminisce. I really love that little spot at night. :) I was on the beach last night and the moon was full and it was so huge rising up out of the ocean. Everybody was stopping and just looking at it because it was just SO BIG and beautiful. I would have taken pictures too if I could with my camera in my phone, but they don't come out when taken at night. :blushing:

Funny, my grandparents lived in Ybor City for several years! One of his best friends was a man from China, who taught him some Chinese cooking. He would make some dishes for me and Granny on occasion.

I know where you are talking about on A1A, north of Sheridan. That was a favorite area of my whole extended family, and I spent alot of time there. We were constantly at the beach! I lived for a couple of years with my mother and step-father on Buchanan St, close to Dixie Hwy. Is that close to you? I remember walking to the "Circle" every weekend to hear music at the bandstand, and visit the shops there. I don't know if any of that is still there - it's been a long time since I visited that particular area.

Yes, I would love to see videos!

Veronica

LOL! It leaves quite a lot, actually, including Australia, which I have only ever heard fabulous things about!

It also includes most of the USA, South America, most of Europe, especially the UK, where I lived for a year and adored it.

Oh i know, I was just being facetious. :D It's bad my sense of humor and the internet. They just don't go well together. :D hehe

Funny, my grandparents lived in Ybor City for several years! One of his best friends was a man from China, who taught him some Chinese cooking. He would make some dishes for me and Granny on occasion.

I know where you are talking about on A1A, north of Sheridan. That was a favorite area of my whole extended family, and I spent alot of time there. We were constantly at the beach! I lived for a couple of years with my mother and step-father on Buchanan St, close to Dixie Hwy. Is that close to you? I remember walking to the "Circle" every weekend to hear music at the bandstand, and visit the shops there. I don't know if any of that is still there - it's been a long time since I visited that particular area.

Yes, I would love to see videos!

Veronica

Oh yes, Young Circle is down the street from me. I'm on Van Buren one street south of Hollywood Blvd. We walk there all the time and listen to the music at night. They TOTALLY re-did Young circle and it's really cool now. They made it an art's park. It has HUGE bayobab trees and motion sensors that play music so when the wind blows or when people walk by it makes these chimes. Plus it has a fountain and a water spout play area and a really cool playground where the equipment is all artsy looking. They have a bandstand too where they have live music sometimes and they have a little art gallery in a small building next to the water spout area that features art from the local artists. It's really nice. :) You can see it with Google earth. http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&rlz=&q=young+circle+hollywood&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

That occurred to me, but I thought you all might be too "desert-y" or too close to Asia. :) I would like to hear what she thinks of Australia. :) She's too funny. hehe

I'm not close to Asia! I'm practically a continent away! I'm not that close to a desert either. I had to drive 5 hours to get to one last weekend.

Rosie

Grrr! Having trouble with multi-quote. User error. ;) So to you Floridians, have any of you ever read A Land Remembered, by Patrick Smith? It's historical fiction that traces the development of Florida.

I'm not a native, but my family moved here when I was 13. We lived in Hallandale for a year, then moved up to Central Florida, where I still live.

Love bugs haven't been bad the past few years, but I remember having to swat them as you walked just so you wouldn't eat any. Some years they would all seem to be around the front door, and there was no way to enter the house without bringing a whole bunch of love bugs in with you.

I still love it here, regardless of the humidity, bugs, and whatever else makes people not want to live here. I do miss how clean and beautiful the springs used to be too.

I'm not close to Asia! I'm practically a continent away! I'm not that close to a desert either. I had to drive 5 hours to get to one last weekend.

Rosie

I wasn't talking about YOUR HOUSE loquita! :lol::lol: Isn't all that stuff on top of Australia considered part of Asia and doesn't Australia have dry, arid, desert-y type places??

Grrr! Having trouble with multi-quote. User error. ;) So to you Floridians, have any of you ever read A Land Remembered, by Patrick Smith? It's historical fiction that traces the development of Florida.

I'm not a native, but my family moved here when I was 13. We lived in Hallandale for a year, then moved up to Central Florida, where I still live.

Love bugs haven't been bad the past few years, but I remember having to swat them as you walked just so you wouldn't eat any. Some years they would all seem to be around the front door, and there was no way to enter the house without bringing a whole bunch of love bugs in with you.

I still love it here, regardless of the humidity, bugs, and whatever else makes people not want to live here. I do miss how clean and beautiful the springs used to be too.

I've never read that book. It sounds like a good read. :)

I love it here too. It's my home. When I go out of the state, one of the first things I miss is the light. It always feels overcast to me and I'll look up and there won't be a cloud in the sky. :confused:

I think it's just how we are situated and the way the light hits us, but as soon as you cross that state line it's like all of a sudden the sky opens up and the sun shines down all brilliant again. I look up and feel the warmth on my face and think, "ah, I'm home again." :)

I absolutely LOVE the light in St. Augustine. That is one place in particular I wish I had a time machine for. In spite of all it's gaudy shops selling baubles to tourists, I still think that is one of the most beautiful places in the state. Standing on the Bridge of Lions or looking out from El Morro at sunset is so surreal to me. I always feel like I've somehow skidoo-ed into a pastel painting or something. It's just too beautiful to be real. :)

A small town.....born in one, raised in one, spend a couple weeks in a couple different ones every year visiting my extended family and by the end of a few days I have the hee bee jeebies. I can't stand it. The 45 minute drive into podunk town with a single movie theater, a single grocery store and the Wal-Marts? My biggest nightmare. The funny part is we own a home (free & clear) in that little town where I grew up so as long as that is true we will always be tied to it.

I love the city where we live. Huge libraries, theaters, major league sports, diverse ethnicities, museums, choices!

Amber in SJ

I wasn't talking about YOUR HOUSE loquita! :lol::lol: Isn't all that stuff on top of Australia considered part of Asia and doesn't Australia have dry, arid, desert-y type places??

If the "stuff on top of Australia" is PNG and Indonesia, then yes! And we do have a whole lot of dry, arid, deserty type stuff. But so do lots of places :tongue_smilie: Anyway, our deserts are quite easy to avoid. They won't come looking for you :lol:

Rosie

If the "stuff on top of Australia" is PNG and Indonesia, then yes! And we do have a whole lot of dry, arid, deserty type stuff. But so do lots of places :tongue_smilie: Anyway, our deserts are quite easy to avoid. They won't come looking for you :lol:

Rosie

LOL You're so crazy! hehehehe :lol::lol::lol:

I spent 3 years in Lousiana as a child, and I will never to my dying day forget the roaches. And the mosquitoes. And the humidity.

Now I live in Salt Lake City, Utah and I appreciate our cold winters and dry summers. Roaches don't like appreciate those much.

Louisiana was fun to visit a few years ago...in March...but I could never live there again. Salt Lake is fun to live in--it is a lot more diverse than other areas in Utah and that makes it do-able. Plus, there is so much to DO here! One thing that Lousiana had on Salt Lake though? SEAFOOD! Oh, man...I miss real seafood.

P.S. I loved the previous post about the Crocodile Hunter finding dangerous animals in backyards!

I spent 3 years in Lousiana as a child, and I will never to my dying day forget the roaches. And the mosquitoes. And the humidity.

Now I live in Salt Lake City, Utah and I appreciate our cold winters and dry summers. Roaches don't like appreciate those much.

Lots of people have mentioned that they'd never live in the desert, and my reaction is that we don't have mosquitos. Or chiggers. Or black-flies. Or basically anything else that swarms - unless you count tumbleweeds. :D

We lived in upstate NY for awhile, and I knew so many people who were suffering chronic effects of Lyme disease. We had dinner out on a friend's patio one night, and I had to stay inside because the mosquitos were bothering me so much. The next day, I had more than 50 welts on my legs where they had bitten me, and I was sick, whether from their poison or my body's histamine reaction, I don't know. We were also constantly having to pick moth cocoons off of our clothing, and dousing our poor dogs in nasty chemicals to keep the fleas and ticks off of them.

I grew up in OK, and I remember not being able to so much as walk across the yard without getting chiggers and deer ticks. Lyme disease is becoming more common there as well. My brother is currently being tested for it. :(

So, you guys can all keep your pretty green growing things, if you keep your insects too. Besides, yuccas are green and growing and pretty! :tongue_smilie::lol:

I could never live in Africa...

Korea...

Texas (lived there, YUCK)

Louisiana (born and partly-raised there, family still lives there; corruption, racists, poverty, crime, NO THANK YOU)

Georgia (also partly raised there and family still lives there; uneducated bigoted racist "Christian" hypocrites, lack of diversity, red clay, you couldn't PAY me to move back!)

Alabama or Mississippi (see above)

New Jersey (heard too many bad things)

Nevada, New Mexico, Utah, or Idaho (too brown and drab)

North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, or Oklahoma (too boring)

Haiti (I don't think an explanation is needed)

South America (drug cartels, piranhas, parasites, and diarrhea....nope!)

Middle East (the desert and Muslim law, no thanks)

I would like to live in Europe (France or Ireland, mostly) but mostly I DREAM of moving back to Monterey, CA. Big Sur or Carmel would also be acceptable. :D

Utah. Probably shocking to hear, coming from a Mormon. I lived there for 9 months in college, and still have family there, and I enjoy visiting and always have fun, but the super-saturated-with-Mormon-cultural is a wee bit much for me. I like my religious diversity. :p

California. Born there. Raised there. Left there. Never going back.

Yeah, I used to say I never wanted to live in Utah too. It was #3 on my list of places I never wanted to live. I guess God wanted me to get over myself, because here I am. I'm not telling what #1 and #2 were. I refuse to tempt fate.

Well, as someone who really loves to eat crab legs but can't often afford them, I found myself wondering if these crabs are tasty. Because it wouldn't be all bad living in a place where your dinner strolls right up to your door, you know? :lol:

I LOVE It! We live on the Chesapeake Bay and while watching the video I thought...."I would seriously need a bigger crab pot" (not the pots to catch them but we have a special pot that we cook them in)